Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
My experience: Two years of Tier 1 support/NOC experience. Am currently studying to take the CCENT, so I know networking and Cisco basics. Also have experience with Windows Server 2003 and 2008 and a couple of Linux distros.
What I'm looking for: Support/Helpdesk positions. I'm most interested in sysadmin side, and would like to work somewhere where I can do some hands-on work in that area and increase my skills. However, I'm up for learning pretty much anything.
What I'm NOT looking for: Temp work, part-time positions.
Where I live: North of Atlanta, GA.
Where I'm looking: The Atlanta area.
When I can start: Two weeks after accepting an offer.
Requirements: Full time with benefits is preferred; contract is ok if it's contract-to-hire.
Can be reached by: lambeth17 at gmail dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Are you looking for part-time or full-time? My work in Norcross is looking to add another person to our NOC, and it's an entry-level position that doesn't require much previous experience. I think the position is only part-time though; starting pay is around $12-15.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

evol262 posted:

To add onto that, I started my career doing operations, and these blanket "it's a dead end and you'll atrophy!" posts are not universally accurate. Operations can be much more hands-on than help desk, especially as a night or weekend worker where you're the first line for production issues.

I started my career in this type of job as well and I'll say that it's a decent job to have right out of school, but once you've got some experience and knowledge there, it's time to move on. Yes, you do get some hands-on experience, but the nights and weekends I worked there were dead 99% of the time and it gets tedious when your main tasks are server reboots, tape rotations, and emailing monitoring alerts. At the company I worked at, people only stayed in that position on average 1-2 years before either moving on or up.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

FuriousAngle posted:

Requirements: I'm making x a year right now, so I'd ideally like to stick around that. More if possible, but I can't take much of a pay-cut because my wife is between jobs at

drat son, I work helpdesk in the same area and make more than you. With your experience, you are worth way more than x. Don't settle for that amount or you'll get underpaid for the rest of your career.

lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 19, 2016