Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Removed at the request of management until we get HR approval or whatever the gently caress!

Sorry!

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

This isn't actually out yet, but will be soon.

In normal Microsoft fashion, any prep materials will take 6-12 months to appear and be terrible. Hell, for SQL 2008 they never even wrote any books for some of the SQL tests.

Publication dates for the 461 / 462 / 463 training manuals on SQL 2k12 appear to be september.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Job Seeker

My Experience
Three years experience as the sole administrator for a 45-50 user shop running Server 2k8 R2 / Win 7 Pro x64. AD/GPO Administration. RDS and RRAS Management. Full domain migration from Server 2k3 -> 2k8 R2. Support for both local office and remote out of state office users via in-person, telephone, and email.

SQL 2k8 Management (Jr. Level) with management console. Database migration from SQL 2k5 -> 2k8. Backup and Maintenance tasks through SQL Management Console.

Centralized AV Management (Sophos)

End user support for Win 7 Pro x64 / Office 2k10.

(Dell) SonicWALL TZ series routers.

NAS file storage and backups. Branching out into full fledged SAN / Virtual Environment. Single server on-site and off-site backup using Acronis backup for multiple machines with both file restoration and bare metal rebuilds.

vSphere Hypervisor 5 (Limited experience in a full ESXi environment).

Rackspace hosted POP3/IMAP webmail for Outlook / Chaos Intellect / iOS / Android Devices.

Microsoft Licensing structures for Server 2k8 R2 / SQL Server / Win7/ Office2k10

About me

Started as an Engineering major at Purdue University. Transferred out of the program to pursue an alternate degree path. Took a job as Helpdesk for my current corporation and transitioned into the sole administrator of their entire network.

Drafted a migration plan for their aging Server 2k3 environment on single Tower servers to a rackmounted server solution running Server 2k8 R2. Implemented centrally managed antivirus using Sophos. Transitioned the company from SQL Server 2k5 Express to SQL Server 2k8 Workgroup including database backup and migration. Additionally worked to migrate our Access 2k3 proprietary software to be compatible with SQL Server 2k8 as an MDB/SQL Hybrid.

Basic networking capabilities on Netgear equipment (GS7xxTS series switches). CAT5e/CAT6 runs and installations. Basic VLAN experience. Also plenty of experience installing telco racks and wiring patch panels.

Currently my self-learning projects are setting up automated PXE installs for workstation deployment and server managed updates for Windows Environments over WSUS. Working my way through transitioning our current environment from individual physical servers to a VMware ESXi5 environment with multiple hosts and HA over SAN.

I assume that this would be a given for any type of position I'm looking for but I've also got plenty of experience dismantling/repairing/replacing workstation/laptop/server hardware.

What I'm looking for

Strictly back end administrative support. Either working Solo (with some corporate paid Certifications / Training for MS Qualifications) or with an Administrative team.

Jr. or Sr. level Microsoft Administrative position focusing on virtualized environments through ESXi or Hyper-V. Preferably focused on managing SAN/NAS hardware. Also looking for experience with internally hosted websites with IIS and a chance to delve into proper DNS management. Additionally looking for the ability to get my hands on a proper hosted (internal or external) exchange environment with support for mobile devices on Android/iOS/RIM platforms.

Would also be interested in any kind of consultation position for a company specializing in system design or SLA support.

What I'm not looking for

Helpdesk or Tier level end-user support. Tired of having to deal with "I can't figure out how Microsoft office works. Please show me how to not accidentally click Work in Offline Mode."

Where I live & looking to work

Western NY. Open to any jobs in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area. Would be willing to move out of state for the right position.

When can I start

Two weeks from a signed employment agreement.

Reach me

Via PM on the boards and we can exchange email address' or some other form of contact info. Can provide a proper resume upon request. Prefer an over the phone interview for any out of state positions in advance of any travel.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 10, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

dolicf posted:

Does this mean you want to talk to customers or you don't want to talk to end-users?

Also, what kinds of things would be needed to convince you to leave NY?

I don't have PMs, but you can drop me an email if you don't want to go in to it here: derian gmail.com.

If it's a consulting position I'm definitely open to dealing with customers. I'm mostly looking to avoid having to deal with day to day end users doing basic office tasks. No problem dealing with a company's internal administrators for any kind of service contract work.

I'm honestly not sure what it would take me to leave NY at this point. Salary/Benefits would be evaluated in relation to the CoL of wherever the position is at. If you want to write a short summary of the position you've got I can drop you an email sometime tomorrow morning, about to head out of the night.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 19, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Quarantini posted:

Hope this is relevant enough to be in this thread.

In the collective goon experience with jobs in IT how shafted am I going to get with companies running credit checks and finding out that I was a stupid kid who didn't know how to manage his money? My credit score is in the tank and am wondering if I should be prepared to get told "GTFO" when they run a credit check on me.

Life :(

Why the hell would an employer run a credit check on you? They're not giving you a loan it's a drat job.

Background Check != Credit Check

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I have quite literally never had a company check my credit score for a background check. As far as checking it they also need to ask your permission to do so and credit should be listed under the items they'll be looking at (so read the drat background check form before you sign it).

Edit: Also I believe they're required to give you not only a written notice of "Why we aren't hiring you because of a background check" along with a copy of the report they didn't like. So if you don't get any of those you're ok.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 14, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

A+ is alright if all you want is a helpdesk job. You'd be better served going for Net+ or Sec+ in that regard though.

A+ is the IT equivalent of "I can plug in a USB cord and reboot".

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

barbudo posted:

Are either of those exams easier to study for? All I want is a helpdesk job, I don't really care about advancement, and I want to be able to get something quickly. Again, I'm not sure if my plan is really reasonable.

e: I'm a few increments better than plugging in USB cables and rebooting. But I see what you mean.

Net+ is fairly easy. Sec+ isn't "hard" in the grand scheme of things either but I'd say it's the most difficult of the CompTIA exams.

You might also want to look at the 70-680, 70-681, 70-685 and the 70-686. Together they form MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7.

The books are like sleep sand but the combined cert will carry a lot more weight than anything CompTIA. As an added bonus to putting in the work for those, they also allow you to build and take the 70-64x series exams for Server Administration.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

If you're competent above and beyond "I can find a power button" each cert will take you a few months to knock out, and the 70-680 on it's own should be enough to land you a helpdesk job.

Edit: If you want any kind of a future in IT the phrase "I don't care about advancement" is basically your primary route to low-paying job suicide. Lacking a desire to advance and improve is a large indicator you don't want to be in IT.

Edit2: Also never tell anyone you're looking for "Short Term Helpdesk" if you want an interview.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 21, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

barbudo posted:

Well I am applying for a few Helpdesk I jobs. Might as well because I'm not going to be certified in the next few weeks and I doubt these positions will stay open long. How do employers measure specific competencies, absent certifications?

They ask questions at an interview and if you don't answer them right you don't get a job?

E: I speel gud.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 22, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

So, just curious, but has anyone ever not gotten a job because your requested salary was too high?

Yup. Happened to me. Wound up in the top 2 candidates for the job, they called and said my requested wage was over their available salary range and didn't want to negotiate down since the other candidate fit.

:negative:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My current employer has openings in Buffalo, New York.

We're looking for people to fill in an open spot or two in a unique Helldesk situation. It's a mixture of End User support, hardware support, and systems administration.

Experience
Minimum of 2 years experience in performing Help Desk or related Desktop Management services in a corporate environment. A+, Network +, Project + certifications and at least one major O/S certification is preferred. Must be familiar with:

Microsoft XP / Windows 7 installation and support including the use of automated tools for Desktop Management (Imaging, MSI/MST, patch management, remote control, remote management, software deployment)
Fundamental Client Network configuration and troubleshooting using TCP/IP over Ethernet and Wireless Networking
Microsoft Office installation and troubleshooting
Printer installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting
Installation, management, and support of Malware removal tools (anti-virus, anti-spam)
Telephone support of corporate users
Experience in creating/documenting/training standards and procedures to customers and junior level Help Desk associates.

In addition to the above posted blurb you'll also be working with SCCM 2012, a fair amount of AD and Exchange management, and supporting a wide variety of in-house software, as well as running / testing CAT-5e/CAT-6 and all sorts of side projects. IT Management is centralized in the Buffalo area and supports several sites around the US as well as international offices. Bonus points if you know your way around DNS/DHCP and have a strong understanding of NTFS file permissions and FTP. VoIP experience wouldn't hurt either.

The pay is above average for the area, and theres some great perks. Full company paid medical, Vacation, Profit Sharing, Yearly Reviews/Raises/Bonus, and a shitload of overtime opportunity if you want to take it. T-Shirt and Jeans work environment. Calling your boss a douche is A-OK in our department.

Experience working in an electronics manufacturing environment is preferred, as you'll be around ESD sensitive product as well as a large machine shop filled with a variety of CNC equipment. Despite the posting Certifications are entirely optional if you know your poo poo.

If you're interested or know someone who is, you can PM me any questions and we'll go from there.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 8, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Worth a shot I suppose to see if anyone around is interested.

Looking for: Mid-level Systems Consultant

We're a small MSP that deals in everything from SMB Break/Fix to Medium Enterprise multi-office environments for both IT and Telecom. Heavy emphasis on Medical IT.

Located in Western NY (Buff | Roch) [Client base extends out of NY into surrounding states]

Relocation: No assistance for relocation, but open to out-of-area applicants already looking to relocate themselves.
Remote: In a sense. WFH is definitely something thats kosher on the reg for the right staff, but on-site work is also required for infrastructure installation or business consulting.

Job Details | Reqs:
We (I) am in dire need of a second mid-to-senior level staff member that can assist in large network overhauls and technical workflow consultation.
You'd be managing most of your clients day-to-day on your own with assistance from our Sales team and yours truly.
Some on-call required.

3-5+ Years of managing computing environments from 15 to 500 users.

Experience in some or all of the following:
VMware | Cisco ASA | HPE Aruba LAN and WLAN | EMC Storage | Barracuda network appliances
Server 2016 | SQL Administration (Non-DBA) | RDweb.
L2/L3 | WAN networking.
SolarWinds nCentral for MSP experience would be a welcome addition. As would Dell | HPE Blade infrastructure.

Looking for someone that can hit the ground running. There's a lot of senior work available and at the moment and we don't have time to train someone up from entry-level positions. Willing to work with anyone that has strong underlying infrastructure skills that needs training on particular product lines. Prior consulting or MSP experience would be a definite help.

Ideal candidate should be comfortable walking into places they've never been before, doing network analysis, and crafting infrastructure proposals.

Salary Range 55k-75k DoE (low CoL area, money is good for the location).
401k, Medical contribution, 2-3weeks PTO.
Exceptionally casual environment with good ownership that cares about their employees.

PM if you're interested or know anyone that could be.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 19, 2018

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Goons.

My current organization has an opening for someone with 1-2 years of experience looking to move into either a potentially larger org or a chance to enhance your desktop and server skills in a different industry.

What We Do: We're a non-profit organization operating in Healthcare and Education. More specifically we as an IT department support not only our own company, but our sister organizations and we offer MSP-styled support for affiliated organizations throughout the greater Buffalo area.

Where We Are: Buffalo NY

Available Position: Mid-Entry Level or Senior Level Helpdesk (Senior position would also entail Jr. Server Administration opportunities).

Salary Range: $30k-$50k depending on experience.

Why we're a good place to work:
We're helping our community first and foremost. So if that kind of thing is your bag we got your feelgood vibes right here.
We have a brand new CEO who is focused on growth in the IT department.
Our IT Director is embracing rapid improvement of our technology infrastructure and we are actively developing a 5-to-7-year plan and budget to modernize our entire infrastructure from workstations to servers, storage, and network equipment.
We just got approval to replace like 75% of our network infrastructure this year alone.
We do some cool online-service stuff for the educational facilities. If you love the cloud you're gonna fuckin love working in education.)

Work Schedule and Benefits:
35 Hour work week (Technically 40, but 8 hours a day and you get a 1 hour paid lunch Its a perk damnit)
2-3 Weeks starting Vacation (Depends on experience and current benefits you're moving away from).
Company pays 80% of your healthcare premium, and provides a significant chunk of your out-of-pocket deductibles (About 50%).
Helpdesk technicians are hourly and eligible for overtime. Overtime pay for any holidays or We're-closed-but-our-clients-are-not days.
Most of our employees have an average tenure of 10+ years.
Our org is very family oriented. Taking care of real life will trump having to trudge to the office in most cases.

Things you'll get to do:
Work with users for helpdesk support in an organization of approximately 1000 employees, not including external clients.
Gain experience in assisting with server administration tasks (Read: poo poo I don't have time for, and there's a bunch of it. Active Directory / Exchange Management is 80% of it or so)
Learn how to work with SCCM for workstation imaging, software deployment, and AV management.
Cabling and Power.
Opportunities for starting to learn how to work in vSphere/vCenter/ESXi.
Figuring out why weird poo poo some guy built 8 years ago stopped loving working because he was an idiot who didn't know what he was doing.
Showing people how to type their own name with caps lock off.

Our Department:
Currently 3 desktop technicians, one service desk manager (your direct report), a network engineer / manager (your's truly, DOTTED LINE BOSS), our director, and an in-house phone system technician.
Helpdesk techs range from just-hired to been here a few years. Helpdesk manager has been here over 5.

Promotional | Educational Opportunities:
All support employees can move up to senior tech pretty much by default once we're sure you can use a computer without hurting yourself.
There will be a Jr. Network Engineer opening sometime in the next 12 months or so.
We pay for your own subscription to an e-learning system that includes a wide variety of IT related coursework, CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft, etc.

Stuff that sucks:
We're a non-profit.
Salaries are a bit below market rate, but we're working on it. New CEO is making a lot of good changes. CoL + Merit raises yearly.
Sometimes replacing the broken parts is a nightmare because different groups can't afford some things, so we get stuck making old crap keep working because the client can't replace it (informationtechnology.txt)
Our ticketing system is hot loving garbage but its on my list to replace this year.

TL;DR:
Looking for someone with some Helpdesk chops that wants to move into something larger, or a different industry, that needs to continue on that not-quite-entry-level path to move up to something better or develop a skill set you dont have yet. Its a good place to start growing if you want to move up inside an organization rather than having to find a new job to advance.

If interested PM me.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the rep! That beer was like 4 years ago dude, holy crap I remember that.

But yes, come work with/for me.