Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you should add a 1 in front of your salary requirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

e: closed now

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 18, 2020

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KillHour posted:

Is it true that basically everyone working down there ends up having sex with everyone else out of boredom? I remember reading that somewhere.

I mean, fair

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

+1 to everyone else saying you need to double this to get high performers. Increase by 50% and you’ll probably get decent candidates since it’s a LCOL area.

But the in person and clearance requirements are also going to really hamper you here.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

We're hiring a System Development Engineer!

https://bluevoyant.applytojob.com/apply/qLE97fnAXc/System-Development-Engineer

This is a fully remote role open to anyone in the US or Canada with American citizenship. You do not need a degree.

This role would be for a team working on one of our core business services. It sits in client environments, collects/processes logs, and sends those logs back to us. The service was written by a (lovely) classic Linux graybeard sysadmin, which means it works well but could definitely use some modernization, particularly in the supporting infrastructure. We need more people on the team to build out monitoring, leverage CI/CD best practices, integration with registering new clients, and writing lots of ansible plays.

We are a cloud native company with resources in AWS, GCP, and Azure, but this role in particular calls for linux experience above most anything else. If you're a current devops engineer, or a linux sysadmin looking to work more in the cloud, this would be a good fit. Azure experience in particular is a huge plus. No coding interview, but a little bit of Python goes a long way.

Salary is ~140k USD base, excluding options + a bonus, but you can certainly negotiate from there.

PM me or email me at ironrosesa@gmail.com if you're interested!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Does anyone know *why* things are so bad and when they might get better?

Debt is no longer free. Once interest rates come down* there will be a lot more appetite for risk in the capital markets since investments are no longer competing with a 5% federal funds rate, which makes venture capital investments and the accompany ecosystem of software that surrounds growth companies much less attractive.

Also something something manufacturing. Remember that this is still a 3.8% unemployment economy, with most wage gains going towards low income workers for lower wage jobs. The tech downturn is very much sectorial and frankly healthy given the insane valuations we were giving to companies losing money hand over fist.

*which depends on further reductions in inflation, which in turn depends either on significant spending cuts, significant supply side gains (which requires calmer geopolitics), or significant productivity gains (hence the excitement for AI which promises the latter without the former).

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KillHour posted:

Having debt be free was very weird compared to basically the entirety of the 20th century. I'm not sure they will go back to being free.

I would be shocked if we stay at 5% or higher for the rest of the decade - there’s a lot of pressure on the fed to cut rates. The US is spending a trillion dollars a year on interest payments on the debt!

I agree we aren’t going back to 0% interest rates anytime soon, and even Japan is exiting its negative interest rate regime. To bring it back to this thread, I really don’t think the tech world is ever going to return to the halcyon days of 2021, but I do think we’ll see slow improvements and demand in the sector over the next decade.

I’m a lot more bullish on AI than most people ITT however. LLMs are very useful tools even if the AGI stuff is all completely bullshit. I think that mostly leads to productivity gains for current engineers more than it means millions of new tech jobs however. This thread isn’t a good place to have that debate on the merits, so I’m just going to say that I don’t think it will have a big impact on open, new jobs in the tech world - with which I think AI’s detractors will agree. Unless you’re one of the very few AI scientists out there, in which case enjoy your million dollar comp package at any large BigTech firm!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 15, 2024