Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

What the gently caress, why not. My post-graduation job search thus far has been pretty dismal.

My Experience: About a decade of small/mid-scale web app development (PHP, MySQL, etc), Website / UI design/development (Raw HTML/CSS), and Linux server configuration & administration (Apache, Exim, MySQL, backup, security, etc). I also have a decent amount of experience tearing apart diverse open source LAMP stuff, squishing it together, and making it do my bidding as one cohesive whole. (Oh, and I've got one of those lovely 'degree' things from the USF CSE department, which finally got here in the mail today! Only took them two months to get around to sending it out.)
What I'm Looking For: Stuff like that ^, but with an actual team. I'm sort of tired of doing all the dev crap on my own, and also being the office staff, and also being customer service, and also being on-site tech support, and also being [everything else].
What I'm NOT Looking For: Asp.NET Development (and not for blind zealotry reasons, I did a lot of C#/ASP.NET stuff my last semester of college, and while I was competent I hated it), Helpdesk gruntwork, etc.
Where I Live: Tampa, FL
Where I'm Looking: Central FL, preferably gulf coast.
When I Can Start: When do you want me?
Requirements: Full Time Only. I really don't want to be a contractor. Not having to pay for my own health insurance would be neat. It would also be great if your company is not some sleazy internet marketing outfit.
Can Be Reached Via: e-mail redacted, PM's, this thread, whatever.

Additionally, anyone have general tips on finding tech employment? I've got my resume out on the major job boards, and have had indeed.com spitting relevant job postings at my e-mail for the past two months (and have been applying for most anything I'm qualified for), but thus far I've only actually heard from three headhunters, and only one of them has been able to get me an interview (for a job I'm probably going to turn down). Good thing I've got my lovely computer janitor job to keep me sorta busy, or I'd be going completely nuts.

Update: Quit my CJ job, got a job offer later that afternoon. Not from this thread, but it's still work. I start Monday. Hooray, employment!

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hey! it's been a year! I'm unemployed again! So here comes an updated post from page 1:

My Experience: A decade of small/mid-scale web app development (PHP, MySQL, etc), Website / UI design/development (Raw HTML/CSS/jQuery), and Linux server configuration & administration (Apache, Exim, MySQL, backup, security, etc). I also have a decent amount of experience tearing apart and re-purposing LAMP applications (Wordpress, forum software, whatever), and now have a decent amount of experience working in CakePHP.
What I'm Looking For: Web App Development work, Web design work, Server admin work.
What I'm NOT Looking For: C#/Asp.NET work.
Where I Live: Tampa, FL
Where I'm Looking: Central FL, preferably gulf coast.
When I Can Start: Now.
Requirements: I'd really prefer full-time, but at this point I'm open to pretty much anything. Contract-to-Hire would be perfectly acceptable.
Can Be Reached Via: jeff.george at gmail, PM's, whatever.

I also have decent experience doing standard CJ stuff. I don't prefer that work, but at this point, if it's available, sign me up.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Another year went by and our team expanded again, so I re-posted our updated job description over on page 60.

Hello again thread! It's been over a year since I've dropped by, and now I'm proud to say I'm on the Supply Side of the job market. So here goes:

Who are we?

The North American Web Development department of a ridiculously huge international travel conglomerate you probably haven't heard of.

Where are we?

Clearwater, FL, easily reachable from more or less the whole Tampa Bay area.

What are we looking for?

Awesome PHP Devs. Our core tech is currently Drupal, with some Magento and some custom stuff. Specific Drupal and Magento experience is not required whatsoever. We're more interested in finding highly motivated and experienced people who love making stuff for the web.

We have two openings right now for Web Application Developer I or II (which you get will be based on experience). It would likely start off as a W2'd contractor position (don't think about this too hard) for a 3 month period, after which there's a rather good chance of going perm. (So far everyone on the team hired this way has gone perm, including myself.)

Cross training in LAMP server administration or UI/UX stuff would be a definite plus, as we work closely with Ops, Design and Usability teams. It helps to know what the hell they're talking about.

Your preferred dev environment doesn't really matter to us, but right now we're all on Macs. Experience with Git would also be useful, but not completely necessary.

Why should you work here?

Pay is great for the area. Benefits are great too, though they wouldn't kick in until you go perm (incl. 4+ weeks vacation, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Travel-Industry-Specific-Perks, etc).

The work never gets boring, because there's always a pretty wide variety of projects in our pipeline, coming from other teams locally and all over the world. The team you'll be working in is absolutely top notch, it's seriously the best team I've ever had the privilege to be a part of.

When would you start?

As soon as we can interview you, so ASAP after 3 JAN 2012.

How do you apply?

Email (inpheaux at gmail) or PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 6, 2012

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Dolemite posted:

Heh, I bet I know exactly who your company is. I interviewed there a good while ago and the interviewer seemed pretty cool. We chatted a bit about music (I used to DJ in college and he said something about how he was in a band) which was a nice departure from the other interviewers at other places.

Unfortunately at the time, I was trying to break into the development field from general IT. So, I didn't have much development experience and it showed on the technical assessments. A shame because it did seem like a nice place to work.
That sounds pretty much like our interview process. We've got a lot of latitude regarding the specifics of our hiring process, and have a very short list of people you need to impress to get the job. Unfortunately, yeah, we're looking for someone with at least enough experience to be considered a "Web Applications Developer I".

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hi again thread. My team just expanded our reach again, so we're back to needing more developers.

Who are we?

We're the in-house Web Development team serving the needs of the many many companies that make up a ridiculously huge international travel conglomerate you probably haven't heard of.

In the past year we've expanded from maintaining a handful of sites for a single arm of the company to maintaining sites for 12 companies from our corporate family across North America. In the very near future that number will be more than tripling.

Where are we?

Clearwater, FL, conveniently located right off the Courtney Campbell. It's a pretty easy commute from anywhere in the Tampa Bay area.

What are we looking for?

More awesome PHP Developers. We're a Drupal shop with some odds and ends mixed in (Magento, CodeIgniter-based middleware, etc), but specific Drupal experience isn't really necessary. We're more interested in finding highly motivated people with solid PHP experience and great analytical skills, who love making stuff for the web.

We have two 3 month contract-to-perm openings right now for Web Application Developer I or II (based on experience).

Crosstraining in LAMP server administration or UI/UX stuff would be a plus, as we work closely with Ops, Design and Usability teams, and it helps to know what the hell they're talking about.

Why should you work here?

Pay is great for the area. Benefits are great too, though they wouldn't kick in until you go perm (incl. 4+ weeks vacation, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Travel-Industry-Specific-Perks, etc).

The work never gets boring because there's such a wide variety of projects we're involved with, relating to companies based all over the world that do all kinds of different travel. The team you'll be working in is absolutely top notch, it's seriously the best team I've ever had the privilege to be a part of.

When would you start?

As soon as we can interview you.

How do you apply?

Email me (inpheaux at gmail) or PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.