Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Peristalsis posted:

Madison, WI. I'll post the job ad here once it's finalized and published. Very roughly, the position consists of maintenance and development of a couple of pretty mundane web apps built in support of the center's research mission. There could be other new apps and/or more interesting work in the future, but there are no particular guarantees. There are two of us working as developers - me and the guy we need to replace (he's moving out of state). Neither of us knew Ruby or Rails when we got here, and you can see our code getting more sophisticated as it goes along. However, this means that there's a good bit of old code in our apps that should be cleaned up or just re-written.

Wow, your situation looks astonishingly similar to mine. I'm one of a couple of developers in a dry research lab making web apps. We are up to our necks in coding projects. We need another developer but finding a competent developer willing to work outside of the startup/corporate-advertising-funded world is very difficult. We're in the middle of silicon valley so everyone's running to Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Apple to make their fortune (and, really, who could blame them). Like you said, no one's getting rich in academia but it is a great lifestyle and solid benefits with decent pay.

Our applicants were all nice people but almost none of them could demonstrate basic coding skills or analytical thinking during the interviews. We didn't get very difficult either, just fizz-buzz and character array reversals.

I'm very curious to hear if anything works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer
application closed, thanks

XRoja fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 18, 2018