Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MJP posted:

My company just had a vacancy and I can honestly say that despite a few shortcomings (no casual Fridays, health plan is meh at best but dental is done by reimbursement and costs way less than a regular dental plan, only the big six federal holidays off) it's a really amazing bunch of people to work with. We're a managed service provider in Manhattan, conveniently located almost equidistant between Port Authority and Penn Station.

The guys and girls I work with are very good technical-minded people, we're all very laid-back and high-energy, and we're not evil corporate or anything like that. I'm not sure if the job is going to be more phone and remote support or more onsite support, or if they'll blend it like the previous incumbent had (90% of us are blended between onsites and phone/remote, I and one other person are phone/remote-only) but it's a good place to be. We do have Transitcheck for up to the current $230 government pre-tax maximum, decent vacation/sick/personal day allotment, and there's no real limit to what you can bring to the table or pick up on the job.

Bonuses paid for passed cert exams, reimbursements for training materials and exam fees, etc.

We're 97% PC and 3% Mac. Lots of Win 7 knowledge to go with XP. We run Exchange save for one or two clients who have Lotus Notes, but we're not too heavily involved with that. Lots of knowledge on networking, printers, MS Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 will be very good to have. We use Sonicwall and Cisco VPN clients.

Please send resumes or questions to mjpbyron at gmail dot com. There's lots of good times to be had at this office - we really do work hard but also play hard. I know there's a posting out there somewhere and will put a link here once I track it down.

Just sent you a resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Job seeker, with a heavy heart, but it's time to make a change.

My experience: 9 years as a "wear all the hats" admin/manager. Phones (3com, don't laugh), servers (mix of Windows and Linux), desktops (Windows and Macs). Main office, 3 remote offices (London, Paris, Los Angeles). Heavily experienced in Exchange, Active Directory, Sonicwall, Backup Exec. Small rudimentary VMware setup. Basically we're a company where IT is kind of ignored and I've had to keep everything up and running on a small budget. Familiar with Cisco but I'm rusty. I'm personable, outgoing, and good at translating technical things into layman's terms.

Bachelor degree in Network Design

What I'm looking for: Open to anything that's a step up

What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk, entry level support

Where I live: New York, NY

Where I'm looking: New York, NY

When I can start: I would need about a month to make sure a proper replacement is hired. This place has been good to me so I want to make sure they're in good hands.

Requirements: Full-time positions with benefits.

Can be reached via: thread, PM

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Job Seeker

Experience: 12 years as Helpdesk/Admin/Project Manager in the fashion industry. Kind of a generalist but with a very good understanding of Linux/Windows/Mac (server and desktop), Active Directory, Group Policy, LAMP, and networking, as well as plenty of experience with O365/Gsuite including migrations from on premises. More of a jack of all trades, master of some. Got laid off in January (it was due to the company being financially challenged, not my job performance). I pride myself on being friendly, outgoing, and an excellent communicator.

Looking For: Honestly? Anything as long as its not entry level. I would like to make a jump into team leadership. Open to a similar small shop position like I had as well, though a small team would be nice too.

Education: BS in Network Design/CS

Where: NYC, preferably Manhattan but I live in Queens and would be open to Brooklyn as well. Bronx could be doable, not interested in Staten Island. Open to remote work.

When Can I start: ASAP

I have a full and proper resume/linkedin profile on request.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm a newly minted mod who needs to make his mark on the world! Does anyone have any good ideas on how to reboot this thread?

Can you tell me what the threads strengths and weaknesses are?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hi all, my company is currently hiring for a Junior System Engineer. I was hired by a goon in this very thread so I'm going to copy/update their original posting:

quote:

Who we are: A vendor that produces a multi-channel content generation tool for publishing companies, like newspapers, research banks, and book publishers. Sort of like a huge platform that combines functions like Office, Wordpress, Sharepoint, etc.

Available Jobs: Linux system admin and developers. I'm a sysadmin, and I pretty much spend all day assisting our customers setup our environments, writing bash scripts to help perform specific tasks for the systems and working with customers staff to setup and design their environments.

Where we are: NYC, Wall Street

Job Locations: NYC

What we're looking for: We need linux administrators. Someone I can set in front of a terminal, can manage to tab-complete (seriously, if you don't tab complete don't put "Linux" on a resume), can decipher bash scripting, and in general has a decent knowledge of clustering technologies, SAN storage, and basic networking. While our company develops software, your primary job will be assisting the technology staff of other companies to support our software. It's not like help desk support, you won't deal with end users, but you will be a consultant for their tier 3 in house staff. Our customers have their own huge IT departments, and we are just the experts they bring in to assist when they can't figure it out. It's nice because at the end of the day, they have to do everything and we just get to guide them.

Why it's a great place to work: The culture is very European, and not NYC IT, so you aren't worked like a dog and then not appreciated. It's a small office in NYC, we have a lot of employees, but mainly we get assigned to a customer and they provide an office space for all of us there. The company has a good pipeline of work for the next few years, and they really encourage having a life in addition to working. They think that if you are killing yourself working it's a mistake. I really like it, it's not like a super hip start up, they've been around since the 90's and are very mature. I am like my manager, he treats us like humans, has our back, and really takes care of us.

Differences from the OP: You'll be also be dealing with some AWS and possibly Ansible, with an opportunity to cut your teeth on some Terraform.

This is an entry level position. It's also a remote position though people from the NY/NJ/CT area get priority. However, remote in EST would also be fine, possible from other timezones in the mainland US but we'd have to talk about that.

I got this job 3 years ago as a windows sysadmin with decent linux chops and it has been a ton of fun, I also haven't had to fix a printer or work any kind of Helpdesk in 3 years and I'll never go back. I'm the Team Lead now and will carry on the tradition of treating my team members with respect and we have fun. Biggest assets you can have for the job is excellent problem solving skills (its ok if you don't know everything!) and a good grasp of basic to intermediate Linux concepts. This is a customer facing role but you won't be 24/7 Helpdesk, we have a hotline for that.

Mentoring is one of my priorities as a team lead, you will not be expected to jump in the deep end right away, and we are a team so we deal with problems as a team. If you're looking to build your Cloud/Linux/IaC/Ansible skills, this could be perfect for you (it was for me).

PM me or post an email address I can reach you at and I'll send you the posting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks all, navy jack, I replied

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Just have to wait out this AI bubble to pop (it will). Right now C levels still have a boner for reducing headcount with AI AnY Day NoW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Considering all the long term commitments for space and units, I am not sure that it even can pop sooner than 2-3 years as that is how far out most of the DC production is as well as how far out commitments for hardware purchases have gone through.

Not to derail the thread but they're already dogfooding synthetic data and faking presentations. It's coming baby. And it's gonna be loving hilarious.