Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Unfortunately, this position has been dropped. I'll update if it opens up again.

My boss and I are currently looking for someone with some formal test, network, and wireless experience.

What we're looking for: A test/QA engineer who will step up and own tasks given to him/her, with experience in core networking (LAN/WAN, WiFi b/g/n) and some understanding of 3G wireless technologies (CDMA 1x/EVDO, GSM/UMTS GPRS/EDGE/HSPA). Previous experience working with embedded devices that run Linux is very helpful. Some basic programming skills (Perl/C/C++) are also helpful. This position will be responsible for generating and executing system and functional software tests on our products and should have experience writing test plans, executing tests, tracking bugs, managing software builds and releases, and going to lunch at 11AM before the crowds show up.

Concerning the test writing and development, there is very little in the way of requirements and other documentation (though I'm working on that) so a keen understanding of how networks operate and how the technologies we use as a system work together will be key. And, for poops and giggles, once the tests are written, we'd like to automate them. Any skills you have in systems engineering, mechanical or electrical design, and/or successfully cracking wise will give you an edge.

What we're not looking for: People who lack a basic understanding of all the systems and technologies mentioned above. People who don't communicate well. People who don't play well with others. People who have problems working for a fat guy (me). People who have problems working without close supervision and constant direction.

Approximate opening date: Last week would be awesome. (Read: immediately.)

Benefits: Health, Dental, Aflac (if you're nice they'll give you a stuffed duck), 401k, basic life insurance

Notes: We're a pretty small organization that has been around about five years. This position may (or may not) report to me, but will certainly report to my boss if nothing else. A word of caution: we regularly are involved in firedrill tasks, meaning that things were not planned out and we have to make up for it. It is frustrating sometimes but we solider on. YMMV.

Contact: PM me or send e-mail to mackieman@gmail.com with your resume and why you think you piss excellence.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Updated my job offering, the company pulled it. :( I'll update again if it reopens.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Edit: This no longer exists because I no longer work there.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 14, 2012

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rohaq posted:

Jesus gently caress, remind me to never work for IBM.

It's not like that in every group. This is why it is important to make use of the time in interviews where you get to ask the interviewer(s) questions to determine how the team functions.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm hiring a contractor position for my team and have been having a hell of a time finding decent candidates, but then I finally remembered this thread in SH/SC so I figured I'll give it a whirl here. I'll update the spreadsheet with the same information presently.

Who we are: Second largest bank in the US. Should be easy enough to figure out from there. :rolleyes:

Where we are: Headquartered in Charlotte, NC, but working remotely is perfectly fine (I'm in Texas, for example).

Job title: Business Analyst III
This is a lovely job title. The role is very much implementation consulting. My team deals in the technical implementation of analytics software into our websites.

What the hell would you be doing: There is a healthy dose of business analysis work (gathering requirements, writing specifications and other documentation, etc) but there is also a great deal of testing and troubleshooting rendered web pages for issues and errors, wherein we work very closely with development teams to report and resolve defects. So you'll need a very firm grasp on how the Internet works (bonus points are not awarded for telling me it's a series of tubes or a place to store cat pictures), JavaScript, and HTML. The ability to write the most basic of SQL queries and a good understanding of how databases work won't hurt either.

To be clear: this is not a development or coding position. My team does not write code hardly at all, save for the occasional library update or snippet to help out a clueless developer (of which there are many). This is a consulting role where a solid technical background (and the ability to write decent JavaScript) is required to be successful.

Why you'd want to work here: Clearly, the best reason is the jokes of questionable quality offered by yours truly. This is a full time contract position with the possibility of turning to permanent, but one never knows.

Why you wouldn't want to work here: This is a very large company and, as a result, has all the issues one would expect to deal with in a very large company. There are some people who are idiots (we laugh at them behind their backs regularly) and change is often slow to come. But this job deals specifically with telling the business how their doing in the online space, and the Internet isn't going away anytime soon, so it's pretty stable.

Salary: Not bad for contract work. Expect north of $40 per hour.

PM me with your resume and contact information. We'll likely do a phone screen interview and, if you're not a shitheel, a technical interview where I run you through a couple of very basic tests with JavaScript, DOM manipulation, and a few other fun things just to make sure you have the goods. I'm the hiring manager so the decision ultimately rests with me, but there will be another person or two involved in the interview process. If you don't have PMs, you can email me at my username at gmail.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 13, 2012

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
JOB POSTING
I've got a couple of openings on my team and am having a hell of a time finding qualified folks, as it is rather niche, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if someone wants to become the Highlander gainfully employed.

Who are we?
A very large financial institution.

Where are we?
Most everywhere, but the positions are based in Charlotte, NC.

What are we looking for?
My team handles implementation of our client-side data collection software for our website (hooray eCommerce) which powers a wide array of analytics teams and tools. This includes analyst work up front, working with business leaders and other partners, project teams, and a menagerie of other folks to define requirements and determine what we're actually going to collect on a given page or set of pages based on a standard model we've developed. Once requirements are understood, we generate a specification (hooray documentation) and hand that off to coders who supposedly make it actually work. We test their code to ensure that it does work, and because it never does, we work with those dev teams to debug, fix, and retest until everything is working correctly.

As the name would imply, client-side data collection involves JavaScript, so you're going to need a decent grasp on that language and a deep, thorough understanding of Internet architecture and browser interaction (DOM, cookies, HTTP request construction, etc). We also do some fun stuff with mobile apps so any skills in that area, or with other server-side languages, is a great thing to have. Of course, HTML and CSS are a given. Though these skills are all very much required, this is not a coding position. We write code sparingly, usually as an example of how something might be accomplished.

In addition to those technical skills, a strong business acumen is required for the analyst portion outlined above. If you can't speak to a room of senior managers and the occasional executive without pissing yourself, this may not be for you. My team sits between the unwashed business masses and the IT teams that make things work, so a good mix of both is needed. Like I said, it's niche.

How do I apply?
Hit me up with a PM and we'll go over what you've got. I'm the hiring manager so I can give you fairly accurate feedback. Or you can use my username at Google's mail service.

What else?
The spots I have are contract to hire. While this may not be terribly awesome to start with, it's SOP for the organization we're a part of. If you don't suck, roll over to full time can happen in a matter of months. Once you're full time, the big boat o' benefits can become yours if the price is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Reposting this since I've had another opening come up recently.

JOB POSTING
I've got an opening on one of my teams and am having a hell of a time finding qualified folks, as it is rather niche, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if someone wants to become the Highlander gainfully employed.

Who are we?
A very large financial institution.

Where are we?
Most everywhere, but the positions are based in Charlotte, NC. Relo might be discussed for good candidates.

What are we looking for?
This team handles implementation of our client-side data collection software for our website (hooray eCommerce) which powers a wide array of analytics teams and tools. Think Google Analytics, but a lot more involved. This includes business analyst work up front, working with business leaders and other partners, project teams, and a menagerie of other folks to define requirements and determine what we're actually going to collect on a given page or set of pages based on a standard model we've developed. Once requirements are understood, we generate a specification (hooray documentation) and hand that off to coders who supposedly make it actually work. We test their code to ensure that it does work, and because it never does, we work with those dev teams to debug, fix, and retest until everything is working correctly. Update: Coming soon, we'll be migrating to a new platform that enables us to write and control the code without making physical edits to pages, so there is less specification writing and more interfacing with dev teams to ensure values are exposed correctly. This is a good thing if you ask me.

As the name would imply, client-side data collection involves JavaScript, so you're going to need a decent grasp on that language and a deep, thorough understanding of Internet architecture and browser interaction (DOM, cookies, HTTP request construction, etc). We also do some fun stuff with mobile apps so any skills in that area, or with other server-side languages, is a great thing to have. Of course, being adept at HTML and CSS is a given. Though these skills are all very much required, this is not a coding position. We write code sparingly, usually as an example of how something might be accomplished. Update: As noted above, new platform means more coding. It's still not a full time dev/coding position, but you'll be dealing with JavaScript and other front-end topics much more.

In addition to those technical skills, a strong business acumen is required for the analyst portion outlined above. If you can't speak to a room of senior managers and the occasional executive without pissing yourself, this may not be for you. My team sits between the unwashed business masses and the IT teams that make things work, so a good mix of both is needed. Like I said, it's niche.

How do I apply?
Hit me up with a PM and we'll go over what you've got. I'm the hiring manager so I can give you fairly accurate feedback. Or you can use my username at Google's mail service.

What else?
The spot I have is contract to hire. While this may not be terribly awesome to start with, it's SOP for the organization we're a part of. If you don't suck, roll over to full time can happen in a matter of months. Once you're full time, the big boat o' benefits can become yours if the price is right.