Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

anything currently open in the NYC area for a helpdesk/sysadmin with significant media/television technology experience?

I've got vmware, shoretel, win7/2k8, osx (casper/jamf), webhelpdesk, juniper, exchange 2010, a little bit of linux (LAMP stacks mostly) experience and some puppet/nagios experience as well. I'm very well-rounded maybe, mostly the product of working in a small enough IT department that i've had to touch basically every aspect of IT at some point in the last couple years.

I think my current job is going downhill very rapidly and I think I need to explore some options just in case this place blows up and shuts down in the next couple months or sooner. Any ideas would be super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

Yeah, I've never understood what understanding the computational complexity of bubblesort has to do with unfucking user profiles or print drivers or whatever.

There's definitely some useful lessons you can get out of a CS degree, especially if you start scripting and automating poo poo, or dealing with the simple inheritance model in a nagios config or something, but required? gently caress you, tell me why it's required.

It's basically the HR process bubble sorting stacks of resumes, and then dropping everyone under a threshold.

Most places get plenty of people with CS degrees, so you have to find a place to just arbitrarily reject people or at least intimidate them from submitting a resume in the first place.

Even still, HR job descriptions are an ideal candidate and only in absolutely horrible job markets does anyone ever get their ideal job candidate, since one job's ideal is trying to jump to an even more ambitious job and so on and so forth. 2+ years means they'll settle for a year with a good interview/cover letter. Degrees are usually just so you're intimidated against sending a resume, as long as you don't lie about not having one it's probably only going to make a difference if you have a lovely cover letter or gently caress up the interview and someone with a degree didn't.

Once you get in, experience matters way more than a degree. If you're going for a job that wants 5 years of experience, you can be pretty sure they don't really need you to have a degree.