Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Any problem with us posting openings in here also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hey! We've got three two IT job openings in my group!

Who we are: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a leading research institution in the fields of bioinformatics, neuroscience, cancer research and other areas of life sciences.
Where we are: Cold Spring Harbor, NY, on the north shore of Long Island just on the border between Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

---

Job title: Systems Engineer III (Linux/Solaris/HPC)
What we want: Generic senior-type Linux sysadmin with a wide variety of software experiences; cluster experience preferred, but not necessary. Software includes Samba, LAMP stuff, FTP servers, Puppet, and a bunch of scientific/informatics software (BLAST, Blat, Velvet, Matlab, Solexa pipelines, etc.) that you'll be installing a lot more than you'll be interacting with it. Strong system automation skills with good scripting ability are a must; experience with configuration management tools like Puppet or Cfengine wouldn't hurt (we're running Puppet). Experience working in a highly-heterogeneous Windows/Mac/Linux/Solaris environment is a must. You should be extremely comfortable with installing software from source and Perl modules from CPAN.

Job title: Systems Engineer III (Windows/Exchange)
What we want: We're about to move our Exchange servers to a clustered, highly-available architecture backed by SAN storage, and we'd like someone with SAN experience to come in and help us get it right. You'll be doing minimal administration on some email appliances, which we haven't decided on yet. Experience with archiving and compliance is preferred, and specific experience with Symantec Enterprise Vault is awesome. When Exchange hasn't got you down, you'll be helping out our senior Windows guy with some stuff on the Windows end (AD, SQL, etc.).

Job title: Storage Engineer III (SAN/Backup)
What we want: Someone with extensive SAN experience to come in and help manage our storage, which includes an IBM SAN, BlueArc NAS and numerous Sun systems (Thumper/Thor and Amber Road). Must be proficient at profiling, testing and tuning storage hardware, as some of it will be used in an HPC environment with 500+ nodes hammering it at once. Experience with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager preferred, but should have some experience with managing backups in an enterprise environment. The more you know about clustering and high-availability at the OS level (Windows, Linux, Solaris, ESX) the better, but it's not a strict requirement.

---

Virtualization experience is helpful for all three of these jobs, though it's being used far more extensively on the Linux end.

Why you'd want to work here: We're situated on a beautiful campus on the north shore of Long Island right along the water. Extensive on-campus dining facilities (there's a bar across from our offices) and a gym. Education is a really cool place to be; the environment is pretty low-pressure compared to most environments of this size. We're right in the middle of transitioning from a Mickey Mouse IT environment to something truly enterprise-grade. Finally, if you're a food nerd, we're 10 minutes from anything you could possibly want in Huntington Village or Syosset.

Our group in the IT department is small and tight-knit, and we're all really smart people. We don't hack together solutions to problems. Most importantly, you get to play with a lot of different things here, so it's not like you're pigeonholed to a job responsibility like "my job is to QA patches for our CentOS 5 systems." I got more resume fodder in 6 months working here than 5 years at my last job.

If you live in NYC, you can get out here by train. There's a lot of commuters from the city, and the lab runs a shuttle from the Syosset train station to both of our campuses.

Why you wouldn't want to work here: Education is kind of funny. Our institution is made up of around 50 smaller labs, each with their own research goals, their own agendas, and their own technical requirements. This results in some things that are, to be blunt, a lot more heterogeneous than they should be. A good part of your job will be convincing scientists to do things IT's way.

Salary: We're a non-profit, so don't expect us to match Wall Street, but you'll have no trouble living on it. I can't really say anything about numbers, so talk to our HR department. I'd take the bullshit route out and say that it's "based on experience" but all of these positions are rather senior anyway.

PM me for more details on any of these positions.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2009

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Updating that the Windows/Exchange position at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory has been filled (not from here). Two left, though!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Updating that the Linux admin post we had open has been unfortunately dropped because of economic pressures (and some really great automation ;)). Storage/backup admin position is still open.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I have an interview coming up and I'm not 100% sure I want to go.

Pretend you're a corporate recruiter for a large company. What would your first impression be if you looked at a candidate's resume, and the most recent position was with a company associated with illegal P2P file-sharing and related lawsuits?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

rt4 posted:

People gotta make money somehow and sometimes the only job out there sucks.
Yeah, but it's not the only job out there by a long shot. I'm still employed, and I'm up for a number of other positions as well. The only reason I'm still considering it in spite of my image concerns is that this company actually sounds like a reasonably nice environment, IT-wise. I just don't want to damage my career down the road.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I literally had the question "how would you troubleshoot a problem?" in a phone interview with another company today. You can't even make this poo poo up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Anyone from Long Island good with Linux, VMware and SAN? I'm leaving my position with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and I need someone to fill it.

quote:

Position Description
Senior Systems Engineer

CSHL is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer with expert skills in the areas of Linux systems engineering, SAN/NAS management, and VMware technologies. Candidates will serve as a member of a dynamic team of engineers/administrators who are responsible for the design, implementation and support of IT systems in a high availability enterprise environment.

Duties involve hands-on hardware/software installation of new environments, the enhancement of existing systems and the replacement/restructuring of legacy systems. Candidates must possess professional documentation skills.

Position Requirements

Previous experience in the following technologies required: Enterprise level large scale NAS/SAN, Linux (Red Hat/CentOS preferable), VMware, Apache, MySQL, DNS, DHCP, NFS, SSH, SNMP, Strong scripting skills (bash, Perl), C and/or C++.Knowledge of a configuration management system such as Puppet or Chef is desirable. Previous experience in the following technologies highly desirable: High Performance Computing (HPC), Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM), IBM AIX. A Bachelors degree in computer science or related field is preferred.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Briantist posted:

I think the benefits here are pretty good.

You can PM me but e-mail is better for contacting me: brian-sa@briantist.com
I'll vouch for this. The benefits are awesome and the working environment is really laid-back and fantastic. I had very few complaints about the place while I was working there and the only reason that I left was to take a team lead position within a much larger organization.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Time Warner's career site does dumb stuff with direct linking, so let me just repost the whole thing. My group needs a Linux systems engineer in NYC with solid understanding of systems automation (we use Puppet).

quote:

Time Inc., a Time Warner company, is one of the largest content companies in the world. With a portfolio of approximately 115 magazines and 48 web sites, including some of the world's most popular, powerful and trusted brands, it is the largest magazine publisher in the U.S., and a leading publisher in the U.K. and Mexico. Time Inc.'s popular brands and successful franchises extend to online, television, cable VOD, satellite radio, mobile devices, events and branded products. Each month, one out of every two American adults reads a Time Inc. magazine, and one out of every seven who are online visits a company Web site.

Position Summary:
The Systems Engineer will be a part of the TimeInc's Information Technology's Internet Operations/Systems Integration team. This group's primary goal is the provisioning of all production systems for one of the world’s most dynamic and complex web site infrastructures. This individual will be supporting the team's effort of developing, and deploying all systems needed to run our production environment. In addition, the candidate will participate in the implementation of tools & systems that enhance and/or automate various areas within our Linux and Solaris-based web environment.
The candidate must be self-motivated and proactively investigate best solutions and must understand the application development life cycle. The candidate must have good troubleshooting skills and serve as Tier 3 support for some Operations issues.
The right candidate will demonstrate an appropriate blend of technical, organizational and interpersonal skills. Good communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential, as is the ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
The type of work that the candidate will work on includes: implementing automation for system maintenance and administration tasks, such as package management, configuration management, and software patching; integrating new applications with existing environments; developing system-level software to integrate and/or process data flow across infrastructures; evaluating and recommending new commercial and open-source software.

Key Responsibilities:
In addition to the above, the following skills are sought, but not required for application to this position: Puppet, RPM and Solaris package building, Kickstart/Jumpstart, LDAP, Kerberos, DNS, Ruby, Java, Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, Apache modules, NSAPI, FastCGI, HTML, Javascript, DHCP.

Experience Required:
• BS, MS, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent
• 3-5 years of related work experience, preferably in the Internet environment
• Strong UNIX administration experience (preferably Linux and/or Solaris 8/10)
• Strong Perl 5 and shell scripting, particularly with large-scale systems automation
• Experience with Apache, Tomcat, WWW, HTTP, SMTP
• Understanding of TCP/IP and networking fundamentals
• Understanding of system & architecture scalability challenges
• Understanding of and experience with open-source software
• Ability to write clear, concise technical documentation

Key Behavioral Requirements:

Respect in the Workplace
• Demonstrates integrity and authenticity
• Encourages and facilitates the exchange of ideas
• Fosters an inclusive work environment

Connection & Collaboration
• Communicates and relates effectively
• Promotes and encourages teamwork
• Manages relationships and expectations
• Thinks and solves problems creatively

Makes a Difference
• Takes personal accountability for actions and results
• Is action-oriented rather than reactive
• Takes initiative and goes beyond what is required

It's a really neat job in a super-laid-back environment. PM me for more details.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

stuph posted:

Try networking - go to user groups in your area for your languages or interests (Python, Java, asterisk, whatever you're interested in).
Networking is super important -- some number of years ago I was able to convince the right people at a local Linux User Group that I was qualified to be a senior Linux admin over 750 machines, when my actual non-Windows professional experience involved managing a Debian Xen host and three FreeBSD servers. I credit my career to that position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

:siren: UPDATES! :siren:

I'm currently managing the group at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory that I left last year, and I have two positions to fill: one for a Systems Engineer II/III (depending on experience) and one for a Storage Engineer III. The Senior Systems Engineer position has been filled by an internal candidate from another group. Postings follow!

quote:

Systems Engineer

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is looking for a Systems Engineer with a solid understanding of Linux and/or Unix operating systems to serve as a member of a dynamic team of engineers/administrators in a diverse and challenging research environment.

The candidate must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and be capable of writing purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making presentations to an internal audience and interacting with managers at all levels.

Responsibilities:

• Design and implement Linux and Unix systems infrastructure in a 500+ server environment
  • Handle day-to-day operations support, including regular patching/maintenance, responding to user requests, and resolving service problems
  • Datacenter rack installation of servers, storage arrays and other computer equipment
  • Translate high level business goals into IT projects
  • Participate in weekly on-call rotation

Requirements:
  • Excellent knowledge of Linux and operating system concepts, including: virtual memory, process scheduling, device management, and filesystems
  • Proficiency in day-to-day Linux administrative tasks, including package installation and software deployment
  • Firm grasp of TCP/IP networking fundamentals
  • Proficiency in identifying and troubleshooting system and application issues, including performance problems
  • Understanding of core infrastructure services including DNS and DHCP
  • Experience managing network filesystems such as NFS and CIFS
  • Knowledge of key web application platforms and technologies including Apache and PHP
  • Understanding of database technologies such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
  • Familiarity with authentication and directory services such as LDAP, Kerberos, and Microsoft Active Directory
  • Ability to write advanced scripts in at least one of: bash, Perl, Python, Ruby
  • Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
  • Ability to write thorough and cohesive technical documentation
  • 2+ years of system administration experience administering Linux or Unix systems

Desirable Skills:
  • Significant programming experience in any language
  • Experience automating large numbers of servers, especially with a configuration management system such as Puppet, Chef, or Cfengine
  • Ability to troubleshoot applications using system call tracers and debuggers
  • Experience in high-performance computing (HPC) or scientific computing
  • Experience with midrange SAN and scalable NAS platforms
  • Experience with an enterprise backup system such as IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, Symantec NetBackup, or CommVault Simpana
  • Experience building RPM application packages and maintaining internal repositories
  • Solid understanding of virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere, Citrix XenServer or Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, especially in a heterogeneous environment

Storage Engineer III
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, located on the North Shore of Long Island, is seeking an experienced Storage Engineer III with a solid understanding of Linux and Windows Server operating systems, SAN/NAS solutions and enterprise level backup systems. Working under the general supervision of the Systems & Storage Manager, the storage engineer will administer storage and backups in an enterprise environment, and perform additional IT related tasks as assigned. The storage engineer will also handle weekend on-call functions.

This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in training staff in complex topics and interacting with senior management. The ideal candidate will also possess Independent problem-solving, self-direction and documentation skills, having expertise in all aspects of storage administration; for example, configuration of disk sub-systems, data migration, data protection and disk to disk backup/restore. The candidate must also have a solid understanding of Linux and Windows Server operating system, and the storage utilities used by them. Tivoli Storage Manager experience is also highly desirable. At least five or more years of storage administration experience is required, along with two to five years of systems administration experience, and two years of college or equivalent related education. A degree in computer science or a related field is preferred.

We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.

PM me for more details or to send me a resume.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nite time dinosaur posted:

There's 401k but no matching (yet), stock options, an FSA for medical, daycare, and even commuter ($240/mo for parking or metrocard).
Careful -- the maximum pre-tax TRA deduction for transit was $230/month back in 2011, but the IRS lowered the cap back down to $125 (where it was previous years) in 2012. $240 is for parking only.