Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
edit: Updated and reposted.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Reposting this since I lost my job yesterday and can no longer afford to be picky.

My Experience: 5 years of first-line technical support in communications and software, 3 years of administering Windows Server-based PBXes in an environment where all the software is proprietary and none of it is documented in any way.

What I'm looking for: Windows server/workstation administration/support, not entry-level but not quite senior.
What I'm NOT looking for: Level 1 helpdesk, callcenters, or Linux support (though I'll learn anything needed as long as I'm getting paid). I'll try anything at this point.

Where I live: Dallas, TX area
Where I'm Looking: Dallas, TX area, preferably northish (McKinney, Plano, etc) anywhere I can drive to.

When I can start: I'd like to give my current employer 2 weeks, but immediately is possible for the right opportunity. Immediately.
Requirements: GOOD benefits, salary approaching $50k $40k

Can be reached via: This thread, PM, raaghassi at gmail

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
It's that time again.

Rackspace Hosting is looking for Linux System Administrators in San Antonio, TX.

Rackspace is one of the leading providers of dedicated hosting in the US and abroad, and over the past couple of years has made major advances in cloud hosting, culminating with the opening of our Next Generation Cloud based on OpenStack.

Our System Administrators deal with customers ranging from small businesses with one or two servers to major corporations with thousands of servers and millions of dollars a month in revenue.

Most of the openings are in the Strategic/Enterprise business unit, which deals with the largest customers. Notable Enterprise customers with Linux environments include EA, Lionsgate Entertainment, Sony, Cisco, Harbor Freight, Disney, and Tom's Shoes.

Here are the requirements from the job description:

quote:

The ideal candidate will have the following:

Requires 2+ years Linux principles experience working in a computer technical field
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering related field or equivalent work experience, preferred
RHCT certification is required
RHCE preferred
Ability to conduct SW compiling
Excellent knowledge of clustering, My SQL, network fundamentals, and Shell scripting
Understands the OSI model and able to apply this knowledge
Excellent knowledge of Rackspace Products
Excellent understanding of DNS
Knowledge of OM report and ILO

Speaking as someone who didn't meet most of these requirements when I got hired, the hiring managers are much more concerned with your potential ability than with your current knowledge, and are likely to take a chance on you, even if you don't meet all of the requirements, if they are convinced that you will pick it up quickly.

The company culture has been discussed repeatedly in this thread and others, so I won't go into detail. It should suffice to say that you will be expected to give 100% every day, but in return you will be rewarded with an amazingly laid-back, fun-intensive work environment, where there is no dress code, very little bureaucratic bullshit and a lot of entertainment and recreational opportunities.

We are also heavily focused on training and professional development. We have an entire division of the company that does nothing but constantly run training classes for everything from software and OS platforms to soft skills like problem solving, management and leadership skills. There's even a beer brewing class a few times a year that's taught by one of the company founders.

We also run major certification programs, including an annual MCSE/MCITP-SA bootcamp, multiple RHCSA and RHCE courses, and the only RHCA program outside of Red Hat.

All positions are salary and pay is competitive. Level 1 admins can expect to start in low to mid 40s, L2s in the high 40s to low 50s, and L3s mid 50s and up. Shift differentials are available for working second or third shift, and everyone receives profit sharing bonuses targeted at 10% of your salary, paid quarterly.

Benefits include day-1 medical insurance with options from a fully-paid basic plan to higher-end plans with comprehensive coverage at very nice prices. 401k and Roth 401k retirement plans are available, as well as an employee stock purchase plan. New employees earn paid time off at a rate of two weeks per year, in addition to 40 hours of floating holiday time and 24 hours of volunteer time.

Relocation assistance is available, but might vary based on your location and circumstances. I moved to San Antonio from Dallas and received a full pack and move plus a nice lump sum for expenses.

How to apply: PM me or email me at fatman1683 at gmail. I'll try to answer any questions you might have, and if you have the chops I can refer you for a position. This will guarantee that you at least get a call from one of our recruiters.

If you're not a Linux admin but like the idea of working for Rackspace, contact me anyway and I'll see if I can find a position you would be good for. Also check out RackerTalent for job listings and more information about the company and the culture.

edit: I just found this out, we're also hiring Software Developers:

quote:

The ideal candidate will have the following:

Hands on experience developing enterprise web applications in Java, Python, PHP or Ruby.
Experience mentoring and leading junior developers
5+ years experience in object oriented software development
Full understanding of the entire software development life cycle
Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
Experience creating prototypes
Heavy experience working with various API’s
Heavy experience working with web services (REST, SOAP, etc)
Experience working with databases (bonus if MySQL)
Experience with distributed data systems
Previous QA experience

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 9, 2012

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Testing the waters here, I'm not sure I'm ready to jump ship but I'm interested to know if what I'm looking for is out there.

My experience: About 8 years in IT, mostly as a sysadmin/support guy. My specialty is in Windows, with experience in MSSQL, clustering, IIS, AD, and the usual enterprise-level Microsoft accessories. The notable is exception is Exchange; I do not have any real Exchange experience. I also have a fair bit of experience with VMware and storage technologies, as well as basic networking (should have CCNA sometime this year). I hold an RHCSA but don't get to work on Linux platforms that often so I'm pretty rusty.

What I'm looking for: I'd like to get out of support and into some kind of consulting/presales work. I tried an internal move, but the sales culture here makes it difficult for anyone who isn't totally focused on closing deals, even at the expense of technical integrity.

What I'm NOT looking for: Support/helpdesk. I'd like to be done working tickets.

Where I live: Central Texas

Where I'm looking: Open to discussing all opportunities

When I can start: Probably not immediately, but within a couple months.

Can be reached via: fatman1683 at yahoo

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Reposting this, since I'm definitely looking for a change. I'm specifically looking to relocate and am considering all options.

My experience: About 8 years in IT, mostly as a sysadmin/support guy. My specialty is in Windows, with experience in MSSQL, clustering, IIS, AD, and the usual enterprise-level Microsoft accessories. The notable is exception is Exchange; I do not have any real Exchange experience. I also have a fair bit of experience with VMware and storage technologies, as well as basic networking (should have CCNA sometime this year). I hold an RHCSA but don't get to work on Linux platforms that often so I'm pretty rusty.

What I'm looking for: Backend administration/engineering, either in an operational role as a senior engineer/team lead or in presales engineering/consulting. A day job would be ideal though a modest amount of on-call would be tolerable.

What I'm NOT looking for: Support/helpdesk. I'd like to be done working tickets.

Where I live: Central Texas

Where I'm looking: Anywhere

When I can start: Sometime after the first of the year (my lease is up in January).

Requirements: Full time, insurance (may be negotiable come October 1st), 401k.

Can be reached via: fatman1683 at yahoo, or PM.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Starting to get bored at my current gig so I'm looking elsewhere. Not 100% sure I'm ready to make the move, but I want to stick my toe in and see what's out there.

My experience: 3-1/2 years at a major cloud/dedicated hosting provider. Two years of that in large enterprise support, the last year and a half on an internal team supporting service delivery operations and some legacy IT functions. I'm mainly an infrastructure guy with a Windows focus, but have plenty of virtualization experience and can man my way around a Linux server. Don't ask me to build you a Red Hat cluster, but I can run top. Fair to middlin' on databases, a good amount of admin experience with MSSQL, I'm not a DBA but I have a good handle on the principles. I can do scripting in VB and Powershell, but I'm not a developer.

Another 5 years server/DB admin experience at other places, but the last few years have really defined my career path.

What I'm looking for: Systems/infrastructure engineering. I'm bored with operations, crunching tickets can only keep me entertained to a point. I'd like to move out of a day-to-day operational role and into something more strategic.

What I'm NOT looking for: DevOps (I'm poo poo at coding), ticket crunching (see above), helpdesk (just no).

Where I live: San Antonio, TX

Where I'm looking: Mainly Seattle, though I'd consider other options under the right conditions. Definitely want to get the gently caress out of the south if at all possible.

When I can start: 60 days minimum if I'm going to be relocating

Requirements: Relocation assistance, really good benefits, a paucity of douchebags.

Can be reached via: PM me and I'll send you my resume.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Putting myself back on the market, this time I'm specifically looking to move from San Antonio, TX to Austin, TX and stay there for at least 2-3 years.

Who am I?
A systems engineer with 10 years of experience, the last two of which have been focused almost exclusively on systems design and architecture. Mainly Windows-focused, though I do have RHCSA and AWS Solutions Architect certs. I like to work with a wide range of technologies and don't consider myself an evangelist for any particular platform or company. I have a bachelor's degree in IT Management from WGU.

What I'm looking for:
An engineering/architecture role in Austin, TX. My current team is going into the next year with a reduced budget, so I'm going to be doing a lot of operational/admin work since we won't have the money for big new projects.

What I'm not looking for:
Sysadmin or other operational jobs. I like designing things.

Where I'm looking:
Austin, TX. North Austin/RR preferred, but I can handle a commute for the right opportunity.

Requirements:
Salary is important, I've been underpaid for awhile, but benefits are crucial. Great medical, retirement and other perks like gym or gym membership, childcare, etc are a priority for me.

How to reach me:
raaghassi at gmail, or PM me here.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Looking again:

Job Seeker
Experience: 8 years in actual IT, before that tech support/customer service. Professional focus has been mostly on Windows, building large enterprise systems, MSSQL clusters and the 3-tier architecture. Solid experience with ESX and virtualization in general. The past couple years have been spent as a systems engineer doing more architecture and design work, and I'd like to continue this trend. Currently trying to branch out into cloud, I have an AWS Solutions Architect cert but no production experience with AWS. I also have an RHCSA, but likewise no production Linux experience

Education: Bachelors in Information Technology Management from WGU, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate cert, RHCSA

What I'm looking for: Engineer or architect role doing primarily systems architecture and design. Willing to accept a more operationally-focused role if it gets me hands-on with AWS.

What I'm NOT looking for: Contract or contract-to-hire. Got a family, need benefits.

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX

When can I start: I'd be moving to Austin, so I'd really like to wait until the end of the school year (I have kids), but can move sooner than that for the right opportunity with relocation assistance

I'm not in a hurry to jump ship, so if anyone has contacts with recruiters or headhunters in Austin, I'd appreciate the networking opportunity. I have until the end of the summer to make up my mind about moving, and I want to take my time and find a good opportunity.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
This seems like the longest of long shots, but is anyone hiring/know of anyone who's hiring systems engineers or architects in Amarillo, Texas?

I'll be moving up there in August for family, and I need to find a job as soon as possible. Dice is pretty dry and Indeed is full of truck driving jobs.

I'd also be interested in any pure-remote positions available. My background is in Windows systems engineering, and I've done a fair bit of platform-level architecture in the past couple of years, working for a major hosting company.

Resume on request, PM me or post here with your email address.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Welp, it was nice while it lasted. My five-person company had two major clients churn, so now they're down to a three-person company with me and the mobile dev out on our asses.

My Experience
~12 years of systems engineering, mainly on Windows but with a lot of VMware experience and a smattering of Linux. Spent most of the past 3 years working in AWS and Azure, bare metal and hardware virt before that. Comes with all the usual skills at that level (Powershell, automation, networking, app/web stacks, troubleshooting, etc.), plus solid planning and architecture experience both cloud and on-prem. Also have a fair amount of experience doing make/buy testing, product POCs, that sort of thing.

What I'm Looking For
Senior-level systems engineering or architecture. I'm most comfortable with Windows but I'm not a platform zealot and try to use the best tool for the job. Not a people-manager by trade but not opposed to it either, I'm used to being in a position of technical leadership.

What I'm NOT Looking For
Anything below senior level, anything contract or CTH

Where I'm Located
Amarillo, TX, moving to San Antonio in two months for my wife's job.

Where I'm Looking
Fully remote or in San Antonio, but if in SA MUST be able to accommodate remote for the first two months. I have kids in school and don't want to move them this close to the end of the year.

When I Can Start
Immediately, but see above for remote/relocation situation

Requirements
Remote flexibility (see above above), good benefits, hoping not to take a pay cut ($120k+) but flexible for the right job

Contact
PM is best

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 25, 2019

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Anybody have an opening for a remote, part-time/night shift sysadmin or engineer? My government contract is ending in a few months and I'm looking for a combination side hustle/transition role. Short-term is fine, long-term is better, especially if there's an opportunity to switch to a day/full-time role when my contract is up. Background is Windows and cloud, but I'm not unfamiliar with Linux.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Job Seeker

My experience: 13 years in enterprise IT, last year and a half in government. Mostly Windows, some Linux, some networking/storage, lots of cloud recently (Azure/AWS).

What I'm looking for: Cloud/systems architecture, either as a principal or a consultant. I've been teaching the military how to cloud for the last year and found that I enjoy it.

What I'm NOT looking for: Sysadmin/engineering, helpdesk, development. I can do devops but I don't have the development background to be really good at it.

Where I live: San Antonio, TX

Where I'm looking: Seattle, but would like to stay remote during *~*the troubles*~* and relocate when poo poo calms down, maybe next year.

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: Full time, salary, good bennies, room for advancement, training budget would be nice, and a pony

Can be reached via: Forums PM, email <forums username>@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I started my own consulting firm and I'm dabbling in a bit of MSP work. I'm looking for an experienced Azure administrator who's interested in a contract job helping me out serving my client(s). I'm handling architecture and strategy and doing a little hands-on work, and I'm looking for someone I can work with directly to handle most of the hands-on building and admin tasks on the customer's tenant.

This would be strictly part-time 1099, but like every new business owner I want to grow it so hopefully there will be more and better work in the future. PM me if you're interested and we'll talk.

Role filled, thanks!

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 18, 2023