Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm pretty happy in my current position, and I have excellent benefits. If anyone in the Kansas City metro area has an opening I'd be willing to consider moving back home closer to the family. Same for the Baton Rouge/NOLA area for the right package.

My experience: 3 years Windows 2003 Server Infrastructure support in a multi site enterprise environment. Specializing in AD, Group Policy, Desktop management, folder permissions and Exchange 2k3. Light Avaya PBX, Cisco, VMWare knowledge. There's tons more, but this isn't a full resume.
What I'm looking for: Mid level System Admin position dealing with Windows Infrastructure.
What I'm NOT looking for: Website hosting, coding, first line help desk.
Where I live: San Antonio, TX
Where I'm looking: Kansas City Metro (Topeka, Lawrence as well), Baton Rouge/NOLA metro.
When I can start: flexible
Requirements: Full Time no contract, Health Insurance, 401K match, at least 2 weeks vacation to start. Positive challenging work environment.
Can be reached via: PM

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Grid Commander posted:

My situation: I'm thinking it would be interesting to move somewhere new. I've lived in the same area for my entire life.

My experience: Professional developer with 10 years of experience at industry leading companies.
Microsoft, Real Networks, Dendreon, Wizards of the Coast, Visible Technologies, and WebMD.
I know all the technologies that cool cats should know.
Networking, WebServices, Desktop and Web Programming using whatever language that you want.
In short the things I've worked on, you've almost definitely heard of and personally used.

What I'm looking for: Senior Software Design Engineer
What I'm NOT looking for: Mid level work or less. STE, SDET 1, 2, SDE 1
Where I live: Seattle, WA (looking to relocate)
Where I'm looking: Doesn't matter to me. Though an interesting climate and affordable housing is a plus. Interesting climate to me means it doesn't rain as much and it's not so cold.
When I can start: Whenever you need. I'm self employed and I share that responsibility with others that can help take over the work.
Requirements: 6 figures.
Can be reached via: bsnobar@gmail.com

Also, for those that are looking for work in Seattle... I'm pretty well connected and could help you land something here.
Drop me a line if the Seattle area interests you.

Ever been to Austin? You wouldn't have a problem finding work there. We don't have any openings right now, but you shouldn't have a problem making 6 figures up there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bahama.Llama posted:

Another opening in Fort Myers, FL. Relatively laid back place. I am not a manager of any kind in our department and have no say in who gets this job. I also did not create this posting.

Pay range: $50,000 - $57,084

Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and two years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support; or a Master's degree.

Prefered Qualifications: Five years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support. Extensive experience with DNS (Windows/Linux), SMTP, DHCP, SNMP, Active Directory, group policy. Preferred Candidate would be familiar with Exchange 2007, email routing, troubleshooting, and have recent administrative experience. Experience with one or more of the following is preferred: MS SQL, Share Point, SCOM, TrackIt. Experience with VM-Ware and server virtualization is preferred. EMC SAN and fiber channel switch configuration is preferred. Experience in a university setting is a plus. Active Microsoft certification(s) desired.

Knowledge, Skills, and abilities: General hardware experience required including: workstation setup, diagnostics and troubleshooting, network component installation and replacement, LAN diagnostics, Dell server maintenance and installation, EMC SAN experience, Linux Experience. Candidate should possess the personal skills to relate to a variety of administrative, clerical, and academic clients in a University environment. Candidate should be able to function in a rapidly changing and expanding environment.

Job Duties: Responsible for the installation, operation, and maintenance of networked servers, storage devices, printers and other shared devices. Evaluates, tests, troubleshoots, and installs network application software as well as Windows Server operating systems, VM-Ware, etc. Provides direction for the campus on new technology as it becomes available and pertinent to the mission of the department and the university. Provides support for the FGCU network including all of the wiring, network electronics, file servers, Windows domain security and all the components that make up FGCU's network. Responsible for planning, installation, maintenance and troubleshooting to maintain a smooth operating environment. On-call status is required one week per call cycle.

For more information, go to jobs.fgcu.edu and click the "search posting" link on the left. Put "1051" as the "Requisition ID".

I'm curious about this posting. Is this Market Rate for someone with these qualifications?

I'm not quite at the level experience wanted in this posting, but the Salary seems kind of low. I'm assuming it's lower cash wise because it is a university and the combo of good benefits/retirement/crazy holidays off makes up for it as a total comp package.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vlaphor posted:

My experience: Ten years of computer repair experience, six years of customer service experience.
What I'm looking for: Computer technician/help desk
Where I live: Topeka, KS
Where I'm looking: Northeast Kansas and Kansas/Missouri border area
When can I start: Immediately
Can be reached via: Email at sparks21@cox.net

Good luck man, I've been browsing TPK area for a year and haven't found crap. Check Stormont and St. Francis weekly, they don't post positions anywhere else but their website. You should be able to find something if you want to travel to Overland Park, but that's a drive...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone in the St. Louis area looking for a Linux position PM me. I just got some random call from a recruiter looking for a Linux Engineer for a direct hire spot with 'comprehensive benefits'.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

Job opening for Desktop/Helpdesk Support in Iselin, NJ. Two minutes off exit 130 on the Parkway, five minutes off exit 10 on the Turnpike. We're five minutes from the Metropark NJ Transit station.

Craigslist posting is here: http://cnj.craigslist.org/tch/1563221860.html Or you can email me at mjpbyron at gmail dot com with questions or resumes. Just a heads-up, the CL posting goes to the HR recruiter, who is a good guy but it isn't me, so don't say you saw this through Something Awful, lol.

You can get the details on what's needed on the technical side on the CL posting. As for the kind of person we're looking for, you don't have to be a complete support pushover but you don't have to know everything about everything, either. The company is Maidenform, the bra and shapewear people. We had an extremely good year even with ~*~the economy~*~ and we're growing. The position is filling someone who left the company, and there's room to grow into skills we need as much as there's room for someone with experience as well.

Recent grads with some IT experience are encouraged to apply, as are seasoned pros.

Salary range is mid-40s to low-50s DOE. Benefits package is very, very good - health/dental after 30 days, free vision plan, 401k after 6 months with 4% match at 50%, the position is NON-EXEMPT and you ARE eligible for OT. The on-call rotation has you on-call once every six to eight weeks, and there's rarely more than three or four calls during the week. There has never been a call between the hours of 10 PM-7 AM so you don't have to worry about midnight HALP I LOST MY PASSWORD calls.

As long as you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach. The boss is a very, very easygoing and a great guy. We run a Windows shop with about 300ish people in the main office, a few hundred terminal users in our distribution center, 50-80ish field sales people over VPN, and our New York office where the executives often live. We have someone in NYC maybe once a month or so to fix a few problems at once and show the IT flag.

The job is really a good place; the SA forums aren't blocked at least. Generous employee discounts if you need to buy womens' underwear.

Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions or concerns. I'll scroll back through these pages and reach out to any potential locals. Email again is mjpbyron at gmail dot com.

This sounds like a great job with a good company, and is very similar to how I got my foot into IT. Anyone thinking about this job should definitely apply. Opportunities like this (good benefits, good schedule, good company) are very rare, and the pay range is excellent for the job

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maneki Neko posted:

I've never run into anyone who was 1099ed as a contract to hire, it's just a matter of who is cutting your paycheck.

Generally I know we usually pay our contract to hire professionals less than what they made through the contractor firm because we're paying vacation, benefits, leave, cell phone, etc.

Your cash might go down, but overall compensation is higher.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In my experience software engineers tend to have very limited knowledge of hardware or OS level issues. Some do, but quite a few don't.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

brc64 posted:

Any idea if it's worth applying from out of town. I'm just north of Dallas, but I'd be willing to consider relocating for the right job (and I've heard Austin is pretty awesome).

Austin is pretty awesome, and you should apply, an interview is only a 50 dollar plane ticket away or a 3 hour drive.

I would have applied a while ago but I just bought a drat house here in San Antonio. I'd be a really good fit for the windows sys admin spot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone in/around the Austin area? We're rapidly expanding and in need of a mid level jack of all trades type IT person. There's no official job posting available yet. Strong Red Hat experience is a real nice to have.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stares At Floor posted:

small school stuff

Don't be afraid to start a new thread in here when you need help or want to discuss something, there's a vast amount of knowledge here and most anyone would be willing to help out a bit.

I'm not sure if you're in a remote area or not, are you part of a larger district?

In fact you could make a thread just based on this post alone where we could all recommend solutions. T-1's are expensive and slow, inquire with your local company (probably bell south) about some of their higher speed offerings. We got rid of a pair of bonded T-1's for a 10meg Metro Ethernet pipe and the cost was about the same believe it or not. Managed MPLS might work for you with no network engineer on site as well. We have a company wide DS3 MPLS from Verizon Business and it's expensive, but not as expensive as you would think. If you're in a more rural area there should be Fed Gov't programs to help with connectivity.

Sharepoint is very powerful. The question is what do you want Sharepoint to do for you. Wiki, Document Repo, internal website, Sharepoint does it all and more.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

revmoo,

Texas in general is pretty drat nice place to relocate to. Nice weather, the economy is doing better than most, housing is relatively stable, and cost of living is reasonable. The Dallas Metroplex, Austin, San Antonio and Houston are all doing very well and there's plenty of jobs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dolicf posted:

Are you a wiener? If not, I might be able to help out here. Check out the jobs on http://rackertalent.com. If there's something you're interested in (and qualified for, please!), feel free to shoot me an email with the job, your resume and a bit about yourself and I'll see what I can do.

derian at gmail

It's an amazing place to work.

Edit: This goes for anyone else looking at Rackspace, too. If you're not a giant turd and you're qualified for the job, hit me up and if you seem like a good fit, I'd be happy to get you going. They love referrals. Something like 60% of new hires are referrals, and we've been hiring roughly 100 people a month for at least a couple years with no signs of slowing.

Are you in SA? I have a few former coworkers over there. I think it would be a great place to work but I need to ask questions about the environment. Mind if I shoot you an email?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

RedMagus posted:

Trying this again, am praying for the year of the job to strike

My experience:
* Bachelor of Science in Information System Technology (University of Tulsa)
* 6 month contract work for FW Murphy debugging engine code
* 2 years working American Airlines phone support via EDS Helpdesk
* 3 years doing 2nd level support for State of Texas (desktop support)
* 15 years basic desktop support for family, friends, and people who'd buy me a meal

What I'm looking for: I'd like to break into the administration side. I think I've hit as far as I can go with desktop support, as I'm allowed to poke at the issues but never able to get into the meat and actually fix them. I want to be able to trace down stupid server issues, rogue AD permission issues, and backups not running. It sounds a lot more fun then dealing with replacing another jammed printer.
What I'm NOT looking for: Temporary staffing, Entry level help desk, programming. I already do the first, and while I can debug programming, trying to do long strands of coding made me want to jump out a window in college.
Where I live: Houston, TX area
Where I'm looking: Mostly in Houston, or possibly in the DFW area as I have roots there. Anywhere else in the state/country is open depending on how good the job and how good the compensation.
When I can start: Gimme two weeks to move my crap and settle with my current employer, and I'm all yours.
Requirements: I like what I have now, which is Medical & Dental insurance 80/20 split, 401k; and a salary of 36,000. I'm open to negotiation.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, ferrell dot riley at gmail

Looking at this post you shouldn't be having any issues at least getting interviews for a job that meets your qualifications. You might have to get in the door as desktop support again, but you shouldn't be having issues finding a job in Houston with that kind of experience.. Unless something's off.

How's your resume look? Do you interview well? If you're not sure about either of those things get your resume looked at and have a friend do some practice interviews with you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

RedMagus posted:

Mostly I'm just not finding the openings that match my experience, though I've only been going through the chronicle's job site at the moment. My current job is ok and my bills are paid, and I could last here till retirement, but the thought of being a desk jockey is kind of depressing, and I'll be stuck at my current pay grade/job with no hope of advancement till someone either retires or dies.

I do need to work on my interviewing though, I haven't done any since I got my current job 3 years ago. Thanks for reminding me.

indeed.com, dice.com and simplyhired.com are your friends for tech jobs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wicaeed posted:

Question to all you hiring managers:

What are you looking for when you want a candidate to have a Bachelors degree?

I have almost 5 years in the I.T. field and am starting to look at actual sysadmin/network admin positions and quite a few of them specifically want a candidate with a Bachelors or similar degree.

I currently have two A.A. degrees in fields related to IT management, and while I will freely admit that I can always learn new things, I can never really get a clear answer as to what skills I am lacking with an A.A. that a B.A. would get me (other than a nice piece of paper that says "Bachelors" on it).

Can anyone clear that up for me?

Thanks.

I'm starting to notice a lack of a BS holding me back. I've also got 5 years in as a Windows Admin and applied a few months ago for jobs with very large corporations that I was completely qualified for except for the lack of a 4 year degree. I never heard anything back from them. This is the first time in my life my resume has failed to at least get a screening phone call from someone, much less a 1st round interview.

I would say this.. A lack of a 4 year degree can hurt you by not getting you past the HR or recruiter filter and getting your resume seen by someone who actually knows what they're looking at. If you have an in at the company who can get your resume seen by a hiring manager, thats one way around it, but really lack of a 4 year degree can hurt. I suggest doing whatever it takes to get one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bort posted:

but the recruiters are often competing with one another over the same postings

Oh god, a local company opened a position, and the next day my Dice Job Alert has 9 new posting with the exact same job description from 9 different recruiter and contract companies. :wtc:

brc64 posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen have a positive thing to say about recruiters. Most people seem to think they're slime. Is there a particular group you recommend?

Recruiters are slime, mostly because they get paid a commission based on the salary of the person they hire. The crappy ones I know care about nothing but shoving a candidate into a company at the highest rate possible and getting their check. Our internal recruiters are OK, because they're company employees, but some of the external ones we deal with are worse than used car salesmen.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

duz posted:

Reposting since Rackspace finally said no. Hoping there's goons at other places.

My experience: 5+ years of PHP & Javascript (less of Python and Perl), ~4 of Linux server admining
What I'm looking for: Pref. a programming job, otherwise server admin/combo of both
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk type work
Where I live: San Antonio, TX
Where I'm looking: San Antonio, TX
When I can start: Whenever
Requirements: Salaried with benefits
Can be reached via: ben@dq5studios.com
Resume available on request

You looking for PHP/Javascript programming? Any other languages? How familiar are you with RedHat based systems? (RHEL/CentOS).

We might have some opportunities in Austin.. We just have a call center here in San Antonio, we could really use a good PHP guy on our internal team, but I don't think there's any openings.

fakedit: There's a lot more San Antonio goons than I thought...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Most folks get their initial experience via internships while in college.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a software engineer, but an IT guy that supports lots of them.

It's like IT, it's all dependent on where you are and what you specialize in. Software Engineering is a reasonably broad term just like "IT" is. Different languages to specialize in, etc etc.

We're a Java shop, and take extremely good care of our guys. We're picky about who we hire, but they get great equipment and a great working environment. I think my company offers a great balance of "big enough to have great benefits and pay well but not be too big". Keeping talent is hard, especially when you're a company without a big brand name recognition.

I will say the programmers I support are doing very well. I don't think any of them make less than 6 figures a year, but we tend to hire folks with 4 to 8 years of proven experience and some of them have Masters in Comp Sci.

I will say though there's nothing fun about the job unless you just love writing code. They view their job as a job, it's definitely not a start up mentality where you give 200% to the company. These guys do their job, and then go home to their kids, wives, partners, or whatever.

If your getting into software engineering I would suggest the following

1: Internships. It's how you tackle the experience issue getting your first job
2: Network. Half the people in our Software office have worked with each other at a previous job and were recommended when we had a position.
3: Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. There's a lot of money to be made, but if your chasing the :10bux: you're going to hate yourself in a few years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

brc64 posted:

Contract rate of pay is $38/hr. I assume if I am "converted", I would end up negotiating a salary or rate with the company directly, and it will not be nearly as high as the contract rate. Is there any rule of thumb on what I could potentially expect to get out of that? I'm trying to evaluate potential long term options, and since this is a fairly short term contract, it makes me a little uneasy.

I've seen it go both ways. Some companies pay a very high contract rate and you take a hit when you convert, and some pay a lower contract rate and you get a raise if you convert

I'm not sure what the job is, but 38/hr is 79K a year. Is the position a 79K a year position? If it's not expect a pay cut.

I would say in my company most contractors take a pay cut to join us from contract status, but we have very affordable and awesome PPO insurance, start folks at 3 weeks vacation and 8 sick days, 401K match with no vesting period, and all sorts of other benefits that usually end up making it worth it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kumquat posted:

Thanks for the advice. I guess Pensacola is just where dreams come to die. Right now I'm kind of tied down right here due to school concerns. We'll see about next year, I guess. :smith:

Have you hit up the staffing companies? Kelly and the like always need folks, and right now even a short contract job is better than zero job.

In IT you need to go where the work is. My entire family lives in Topeka, but the closest area that has even a reasonable IT job market is Kansas City and even that is hit and miss. No shortage of work here in Texas though. San Antonio, Dallas and Houston all have tons of options.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tatsujin posted:

I agree. I'd rather live in Austin/SA than DFW or Houston though.

I dunno, SA isn't bad but has lots of drawbacks. It's a big city without lots of the big city amenities. I hate the lack of direct flights to anywhere

Casull posted:

Why can't it be Silicon Valley again? I just want a place to cut my teeth in for desktop support :argh:

We're in the process of moving a huge chunk of our engineering efforts away from Silicon Valley and to Austin instead. Pay is around 20% cheaper and there isn't as much competition. Big name companies like NetApp and Cisco poaching your best engineers all the time makes life difficult.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

From reading reviews on Glassdoor is seems RS is a great place to get your foot in the door and move up, but not so great for experienced folks looking to move into more senior positions. Quite a few GD reviews mention below market rate, inflexible hiring terms, issues with management, etc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comradephate posted:

- Contract pay only, except there's no contract. Pay is every two weeks, taxes aren't withheld - you'll be 1099'd. No benefits, PTO, or anything normal human beings receive for working.

I would strongly encourage you to talk to your bosses/owners about this. This is pretty much against the law. You can't hire 1099 contractors and treat them like W-2 employees.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Trans-Angeles posted:

Skills:
Business, Management, and Marketing — Account Management — Entry Level — 1 year
Business, Management, and Marketing — Financial Management — Entry Level — 1 year
Business, Management, and Marketing — Franchise/Small Business Owner — Entry Level — 2 years
Business, Management, and Marketing — Logistics — Entry Level — 1 year
Business, Management, and Marketing — Public Relations — Entry Level — 1 year
Computer and Internet — Hardware Support/Repair — Experienced Non-manager — 10+ years
Computer and Internet — Network Administration — Experienced Non-manager — 2 years
Computer and Internet — Technical Support Specialist — Entry Level — 6 years
Computer and Internet — Web Development — Manager — 10+ years
Computer and Internet — Webmaster/Site Management — Senior Manager — 10+ years
Construction and Facilities — Alarm, Cable and Telephone Installation — Entry Level — Less than 1 year
Retail and Sales — Customer Service — Manager — 8 years
Retail and Sales — Retail Sales — Manager — 4 years
Retail and Sales — Sales Management — Manager — 4 years
Retail and Sales — Sales Representative — Entry Level — 2 years
Retail and Sales — Visual Merchandising — Experienced Non-manager — 4 years

Please tell me this isn't on your resume....

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

vty posted:

The usual hot spots - SFBA, Denver, Seattle, Houston.. All those big cities. I'm in Austin, which thinks its a big city, but really apart from Dell/HP mid-senior level positions seem to be lacking, along with the pay ranges.

Something I've noticed since I've started working in Austin and becoming friends with guys in tech sector here is hardly any of the jobs in many of these companies ever get posted.

My job was never publicly posted, and I would say 80% of our positions are hired from a word of mouth referral and never get posted. If we have a software developer spot open up, someone usually knows a good candidate that is looking to move companies. Our last network engineer was filled by word of mouth as well. Job posting never even got put up. I know our pay is in line with market as well, and we have great benefits as people tend to stay for a while here.

Just a bit of advice to everyone reading this thread. Network Network Network. If you're looking for a job, don't be afraid to send a brief email to former teachers, bosses, colleagues, etc asking if someone knows anyone looking for your skill set.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mons Hubris posted:

Hey computer folks, especially Texas-based or willing-to-relocate computer folks!

The company my girlfriend works for, Maxpoint Interactive, is hiring for a ton of positions. It's a targeted advertising technology startup based out of Research Triangle Park, NC, with its software engineering office in Austin, TX. They're badly shorthanded in Austin, and need experienced people to work on software engineering, statistics, and IT. The software engineering positions are focused on .NET Development and Java Development. There are at least 10 or 11 software engineering and IT positions, so I'll just link to their careers page rather than posting them all: http://maxpointinteractive.com/company/careers/

Maxpoint provides good benefits, including a full healthcare package and referral bonus. Please PM me or email me at scsaunde at gmail dot com so I can let her know whose resume to look for.

Hows the pay? I know a few people in Austin that could be interested, but they're all very well compensated. Does it still have that startup feel to the company? Is it crazy hours?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I like turtles posted:

I'm going through a recruiter right now that may have hooked me up with a python developer job - they're looking for Ruby developers too. Full relocation to San Antonio, etc. If you're a decent Ruby developer, and interested in TX at all, PM me and I'll hook you up with my guy, he seems to know his poo poo. Especially in that I had applied for these jobs cold before and never gotten a response, but got a phone interview the week he first contacted me.
If you don't have PMs, email at hijakk at the google mail.

RackSpace?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dolicf posted:

I hear you.

I'll post it here, because I've already had it asked. Due to the way teams are structured at Rackspace and the work type and environment, generally remote work isn't a thing for sysadmins. It's not that exceptions aren't made, it's just that they're very rare.

Keep in mind that the majority of sysadmin work at Rackspace (being a hosting provider) involves supporting multiple clients in a huge variety of configurations. It doesn't lend itself to remote work nearly as well as a traditional sysadmin role working on a handful of environments generally during business hours.

Any clue on the range for Windows II/III guys? I have it made in the shade at my current job, but I've always been curious how RS pays.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We use contract guys for both scenarios discussed. We've had issues finding quality hires, so we'll have a recruiter bring them in on a 3 or 6 month contract, and if they perform we convert them to FTE status. If they suck we can easily get rid of them.

We also have a bunch of QA work that we only need folks for 3 or 6 months on, so we'll use contractors to do that work as well. Just depends.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ouch. Sorry bud. If you're sticking around the old TPK for a while, I can see if my brother knows anyone hiring. He used to work at Hills doing L2 Desktop.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Systems Engineer/Systems Administrator are used pretty interchangeably. I'm not a fan of the Engineer title unless one actually holds an engineering degree.

GlassDoor is a great resource if the company is large enough to have enough data put into it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

be careful, getting the current employer to match is a tricky move. You can only play that card one time, and if they get wind you want to leave they might just replace you before you're ready to leave

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The counteroffer for money card is dangerous because your current employer realizes you're willing to leave for more money, and even after the counteroffer you're probably going to take off the next time someone offers you 5K more a year.... so they'll try to replace you on their schedule instead of being left hanging when you leave.

If you're unhappy with your current compensation level but like your job I think you're better off making an argument to your manager that you're worth more. Make a case for it and if they don't go for it, then you know it's time to move on.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My company is looking for Senior Software Engineers and Senior QA Engineers in the Austin, TX area. I'm just an IT guy who works here, but it's a pretty cool place to work. Good location, well funded established company, but the local office still has a bit of a start up feel to it. (Translation: Market pay, good equipment and software, good benefit package, but there's still a ping pong and Foosball table and a fridge full of sodas). Dress code is relaxed.

I really don't want to associate my company with my screen name here, but in general we're looking for people with 4 to 7+ years of programming experience. We have quite a few openings and a few different functional teams here working on different projects/products. One product is a Java server based piece of software, others are C/C++ on embedded devices. I know our greatest need is on the C/C++ side on our embedded products.

The QA positions want a BS, at least 3 years in QA, strong test automation skills, coding experience in Python, TCL and strong Linux skills.

PM or post contact info in this thread and I can send you more information. If anyone's figured out who I work for, please keep it to yourself. I'm hesitant to even post this but if I can help a Goon get a good job, it'll be worth it. To the best of my knowledge relocation is possible for the right candidate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BeefofAges posted:

skipdogg, for the QA positions, is there any contract work available? See my post a bit above yours.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We do use contract QA work but we source it through an outside firm. We don't really deal directly with contractors on a 1099 basis that often.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't have an official job posting yet, but we're going to be needing a Senior System Administrator in the San Jose, CA area shortly. Experienced Sr. Admin with VMWare and EMC Storage experience. If anyone might be interested let me know.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We have a new position open in the UK.

Who We Are: Pace Plc, a global market leader in the Pay TV Set Top Box market.

We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer for our engineering tools group located in our Saltaire, UK office.

Some details are listed here: http://www.pace.com/global/careers/vacancy-locations-index/saltaire/senior-software-engineer-vacuk511/

Basically the position manages all our linuxy infrastructure bits for the engineering folks that write software. The title says Senior Software Engineer, but to the best of my knowledge outside of some scripting you won't be creating code. You'll be managing Linux Systems like SVN, CVS, our Wiki and anything else running *nix. Linux Shell and Perl are very important. Knowledge of VMWare and IBM Servers and SAN's would go a long way as well.

We also have a ton of job openinings in other sites, mostly for software engineers and QA folks Here is a link to our job openings in the Americas. http://www.pace.com/americas/careers/vacancies/

We still need a strong System Admin for our San Jose location, strong VMWare and Microsoft Infrastructure knowledge is desired. The job posting is a little out of date, but feel free to ask questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ConfusedUs posted:

If you meet most of the requirements, you should apply. In my experience, most job postings are looking for a holy grail but would be more than happy with someone who is competent and reliable.

This can't be stressed enough in general for all you job seekers. Job Postings are basically Manager wish lists. No candidate is going to hit all the wish list items. If you think you can get up to speed in 90 days at the job, then apply apply apply! The last guy we hired didn't have 2 of our 'wish list' items, but was really strong with other things and showed in the interview he was a sharp guy who would have no issue getting up to speed. We hired him and it's worked out really well so far.