Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
I think this is kosher to post, if not I'll remove it :)

I've recently started an email newsletter which interviews/profiles startup tech companies that have open job positions. By startup, I mean anything from just-funded all the way to 100-200 employees.

The idea is to provide a more personal look at companies, since job listings are often pretty sterile and don't give much insight into the company culture. The questions range from "what's the hardest problem you solved recently?" to "how has the company changed since you joined?"

I send out weekly emails on Wednesdays, although I may be moving to two interviews/week because the flow of companies is increasing.

If anyone is interested, it can be found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
I mentioned this a few pages back, but I run a new email newsletter which interviews startups who are hiring developers, designers and product leads. Would anyone be opposed if I started posting the jobs here? I run an interview once a week. They aren't my jobs per se, but I want to see the listings (and my email list) succeed. I don't receive any compensation for this list, just a labor of love at the moment.

My most recent interview was with LaunchBit, a Mountain View, CA company that has built a marketplace for email advertisements.

The interview is here, and the job listing is here. LaunchBit is looking for a PHP/mySQL backend developer to join their team and help scale their platform.

LaunchBit posted:

We are looking for our first engineering hire to help us scale our platform. Our platform is currently written in PHP and uses a MySQL db, but we may change this in the near future.

Responsibilities:
-Develop targeting algorithms
-Write scalable queries
-Be relentless about improving latency issues and performance

We are looking for someone who:
-Has experience building large scale web apps
-Solid foundation in computer science: data structures, algorithms, and software design
-Good Linux experience
-Coding experience in PHP, MySQL, Python, and/or C/C++
-Front-end experience (HTML/CSS/JavaScript with jQuery, AJAX) is an added bonus

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

sim posted:

Just wanted to say thanks, because I really appreciate the newsletter. I doubt I'll be applying for any of the jobs in the Bay Area or LA, but the interviews themselves are useful to me both as a project manager and a potential applicant. Good stuff and please keep it coming!

Thanks! :)

I have a considerable amount of east-coast subscribers (and I'm in Boston myself), so I'm trying to get a broader geographic range of startups.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

brc64 posted:

This was always sort of my vision when I started, but I don't have the web skills to make it happen. I do, however, know how to click "EDIT".

I could toss together a quick web-app and host it at Startup Frontier, no problem. Or if someone else wants to do this as a school project but needs hosting, I can do that too.

On that note, two more job listings from Startup Frontier.

quote:

Interview with Alex Cavoulacos, Founder and COO of The Daily Muse

Launched on TechCrunch in September, The Daily Muse is a fast-growing publication for young, professional women. In addition to their editorial content, they are building a “Pandora for Jobs” – a job platform to help women uncover interesting jobs at new companies.

Their platform has grown from zero to 70,000 users in three months and is about to enter YCombinator 2012. Today’s interview is with Alex Cavoulacos, Founder and COO of The Daily Muse.

The Daily Muse is hiring two engineers to help them build their platform:

Front-End Design & Dev / UX
Excellent eye for visual UI design - 2+ years of professional UX experience - Excited by challenges and the flexibility of a consumer-facing web startup - Extremely detail-oriented, able to define ideas down to a specification level - Skilled in HTML 5, CSS3 to build prototypes - Interactive data visualization experience a plus - Willing and able to learn anything quickly - Un-intimidated by rooms full of smart women. In fact, you should think it's pretty awesome - Live in the San Francisco Bay area or willing to move for at least 3-4 months

Backend Engineer (PHP/Python, data-mining)
Marathon hacker - Comfortable with backend work, particularly working with databases and keeping an eye on application performance - Excited by challenges and the flexibility of a consumer-facing web startup - Very comfortable with PHP / Python - Data mining and/or recommendation engine experience a plus - Willing and able to learn anything quickly - Un-intimidated by rooms full of smart women. In fact, you should think it's pretty awesome - Live in the San Francisco Bay area or willing to move for at least 3-4 months

Email join.us@thedailymuse.com to apply, with links to previous work.

quote:

Interview with Richard Price, founder of Academia.edu

It is a pretty well known fact that academic publishing is broken: most academics will readily admit this. Academia.edu is fixing this by facilitating the dispersal of literature through an academic social network. In addition to serving academic literature, they make it easier to watch what other researchers are doing as well as providing analytics on your own papers.

Academia.edu is well funded with $6.7 million and resides in San Francisco, CA.
Open Positions

Academia.edu is hiring Software Engineers and Engineering Interns. They are looking to triple their team from 5 engineers up to 15:

Software Engineer
  • We'd like you to have 2+ years of web development experience.
  • You should have experience working with the full stack of a web application. Engineers should be capable of handling sysadmin tasks, optimizing database queries, writing app code, and implementing CSS, HTML, and JavaScript on the front end.
  • Bonus points for experience scaling an application to handle an increasing user base.
  • Familiarity with our current tools is a plus, but it's much more important that you be a fast learner who can pick up new technologies quickly.
    Technologies we use: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB,Varnish, Memcached, Solr, Beanstalkd

Engineering Intern
  • We'd like you to have some experience with one or both of the following:
  • Building Web applications in an MVC style. Rails experience is a plus but not required, as long as you've used something similar like Django or CakePHP.
  • Front-end development using JavaScript and CSS. Bonus points if you've tried CoffeeScript, Sass, or Less.
  • You should be a quick study and attentive to detail. You don't need to be an expert on everything we do, but you should be able to pick up the basics fast enough to make useful contributions.
  • We'll need you to work on site in San Francisco, either part-time or full-time, for at least four weeks.

I also encourage you to check out their Hiring Page which has a lot of good information about what engineers will be working on, Benefits, Investors, and pictures.

Special note to international applicants: their hiring page explicitly states they are H-1b friendly, and are experienced in the visa process.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
More job positions from my newsletter! As usual, someone yell at me if these posts are no longer wanted :)

quote:

Interview with Michael Tildahl, lead frontend developer for Platfora

Platfora is helping companies bring their business intelligence toolset into the 21st century.

Traditional databases have difficulty scaling to the petabyte level. Conversely, highly scalable technologies like Hadoop are not interactive enough. Platfora is building technology to layer on top of Hadoop, providing the first interactive BI product built on massively scalable technology.

Open Positions

Located in San Mateo, CA, Platfora is growing fast and trying to fill a lot of positions:
  • Software Developer Athlete
  • Senior Java Backend Engineer
  • Senior UI/Visual Designer
  • Distributed Systems Engineer
  • Javascript Developer
  • Senior User Experience Designer
  • Senior Frontend Engineer

quote:

Interview with Ben Jabbawy, founder of Privy

Privy is a startup that is making it possible for small busineses to build self-service marketing products and promotions.

You’ve probably heard about the problems with Groupon: drive-by-customers, rude “deal shopper” clientele, inability to collect contact information and turn visitors into repeat customers, huge price discounts that destroy profit margins. The list goes on.

Privy is changing that by providing a custom promotions for small businesses that allow them to effectively run campaigns without sacrificing their margins.

Privy is a winner MassChallenge and is located in Cambridge, MA.

Open Positions
Privy is hiring both frontend engineers and interns that are still in school.
  • Front End Developer - JS/HTML/CSS and MVC frameworks (particularly Ruby on Rails)
  • Interns - both software and sales oriented