Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
This is one hell of a long shot, since my main experience comes only with the home and friends/family (and I only have an A+, studying Net+ right now), but does anyone need an intern? I wouldn't mind doing helpdesk/cable running/basic stuff you can pass off to a newbie, and I'd be fine with doing it for low-pay/free if need be. I learn fast and I get along with everyone just fine.

vvv :shobon: San Jose.

Casull fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Hopefully this is a good place to ask this:

I'm currently a technician for a fairly large integration company, meaning I both build computers and test them to make sure they work. I'm not sure what I want to be in the future, though I'd like to be something in IT. Is my current job something that has potential for me to get better jobs, or am I dead-ending myself here? I'm thinking that the next logical path could be a technician at an NOC/datacenter, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else I could do, and what experience/skillsets I'd need.

(Also, I guess this is a good place for me to ask if anyone here knows any NOCs that are hiring technicians in the Bay Area, preferably San Jose. I wouldn't mind help desk, either, but it depends on the pay/proximity to San Jose - ideally I'd like the job to be in SJ itself.)

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Job Seeker: San Jose, CA
Certifications: A+, Network+
Looking for: Help desk or NOC work. Contract work is fine; I've got no experience (other than building computers for a living,) so contract work would be pretty nice. I won't lie: I need experience. If the help desk/NOC wants to hire me longer than a contract, that's awesome, but I'm not expecting anything until I get experience.
Not looking for: As long as the contract isn't under three months. Still got bills to pay.

PM here or shoot me an email: evilwang (at) gmail.com

Casull fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 9, 2011

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

CaladSigilon posted:

Some basic rules off of the top of my head from someone who has done some contract work, but not a whole ton. Others may know better; listen to them.

2. You may need to hire an accountant to help you with your taxes. Contractor taxes can get really messy, really quickly.

I'm not quite familiar with contracts and taxes quite yet - if I filled out only a W-4, is that the only form I have to be worried about? I've heard about 1099 and W-2s as relevant forms, but I've never had to fill those out (nor am I sure I'm even using the right phrase for them.)

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Why can't it be Silicon Valley again? I just want a place to cut my teeth in for desktop support :argh:

Casull fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 19, 2011

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

I'm getting laid off in a month, so it looks like I'm back in the job hunt! I'm ideally looking for an internal help-desk position in the Bay Area, and closer to San Jose if possible. Though my official title at my old place was Desktop Support, I was the guy who set up our inventorying/ticketing system and created a standard image for deploying Windows, and I'd like to expand on that while taking the time to learn even more about IT.

My public email is evilwang@gmail.com.

e. vvv Oh God no.

Casull fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 23, 2011

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

McGlockenshire posted:

Shot you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

Welp, folks, I just got let go, so it's time for the job hunt again!

Ideally, I'm looking for a sysadmin position within the Bay Area; I was only doing the junior sysadmin gig at my last place, a video game company, for two months before I was supposed to have my title changed to sysadmin. Before that, I did desktop support and technical support for a medical company for six months, and before that, I built computers for a year.