Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Oh, I know. I intend to broach the subject relatively soon, but it seems like a good way to get myself on some peoples' shitlists.

Advertising jobs like that is a pretty good way to get on the IRS's shitlist. Probably not YOU, personally, but the company you work for. Seriously, you cannot specify a shift or schedule for a 1099 contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Source? That seems extremely restrictive and ridiculous.

the fuckin' IRS posted:

Under common-law rules, anyone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done. This is so even when you give the employee freedom of action. What matters is that you have the right to control the details of how the services are performed.

Example: Donna Lee is a salesperson employed on a full-time basis by Bob Blue, an auto dealer. She works 6 days a week, and is on duty in Bob's showroom on certain assigned days and times. She appraises trade-ins, but her appraisals are subject to the sales manager's approval. Lists of prospective customers belong to the dealer. She has to develop leads and report results to the sales manager. Because of her experience, she requires only minimal assistance in closing and financing sales and in other phases of her work. She is paid a commission and is eligible for prizes and bonuses offered by Bob. Bob also pays the cost of health insurance and group-term life insurance for Donna. Donna is an employee of Bob Blue.

Emphasis mine.

source: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179112,00.html

the IRS again posted:

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Medicare and Social Security Taxes for Self-Employed.

source: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179115,00.html

base article: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

edit: I see you have edited your post. That is very smart. edit2: errr, you really should remove any language alluding to "contract" pay.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 19, 2011

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sprint barely used the poo poo (according to them) and they're turned it off completely now.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

This thread isn't just for IT, right? This is probably a long-shot but why not?

My experience: Some layout work with Cadence; lots of circuit-level design for classes and for fun; lots of semiconductor/quantum physics coursework; cleanroom and fabrication experience (mainly Si, some GaAs); 8 years working in a materials lab with SEMs, XRD, XRF, FTIR, Raman, etc. I have a master's degree in electrical engineering and I am in the PhD program now.

What I'm looking for: 3-8 month internship in device engineering, preferably memory or storage related.

Where I live: USA

Where I'm looking: Anywhere, preferably outside of the US.

When I can start: Ideally June 2012, but this is very flexible.

Can be reached via: pm or request for other contact info in thread.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

DigitalHeretic posted:

right now we are desperately seeking people in the NE corner of the US (LA, FL, GA, NC, SC, look at a freaking map!).

what.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Come work with us at WD!

Would love to but as an engineer. Maybe in 3-4 years when I am dr. dnova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is there anything at WD an entry-level MSEE with research experience would be qualified for?