Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

havenwaters posted:

Are you plugging the hard-drive into the right usb cable? CFG only looks at the one closer to the edge of the console.
:doh:

Now CFG freezes entirely and turns the light off the drive, but WiiFlow works fine. So something is broken with CFG or something it expects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Here's a weird question: are there any hacks that let me control the system menu with a Gamecube controller?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there any reliable hardware out there that I can use to rip my old SNES Robocop vs. The Terminator and Terminator Arcade cartridges and play them on a modded Wii (and what emulator would be best for it)?

I've also got a bunch of old NES cartridges I want to do the same thing to, but Google searches lead to a bunch of dodgy ebay listings and I want to make sure I'm getting something that will actually work.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

gay skull posted:

Here's a weird question: are there any hacks that let me control the system menu with a Gamecube controller?

No, but you can use a guitar hero controller. :psyduck:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CrashCat posted:

:doh:

Now CFG freezes entirely and turns the light off the drive, but WiiFlow works fine. So something is broken with CFG or something it expects.

Weird. Maybe CFG is setup for the wrong filesystem in the config file so it locks up.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Not entirely sure if this is Wiibrew specific but I don't have either a 3DS or Wii U, just a softmod Wii:

I've always heard about how Project M rebalanced Brawl to be more competitive and with 3.5 released a few weeks ago, I wanted to try it . The problem is all my stuff is on a 32GB SD card and Project M only accepts a SD card of 2GB or less. What items would I need to copy off the 32GB card and transfer to the 2GB card so this can work?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Island Nation posted:

Not entirely sure if this is Wiibrew specific but I don't have either a 3DS or Wii U, just a softmod Wii:

I've always heard about how Project M rebalanced Brawl to be more competitive and with 3.5 released a few weeks ago, I wanted to try it . The problem is all my stuff is on a 32GB SD card and Project M only accepts a SD card of 2GB or less. What items would I need to copy off the 32GB card and transfer to the 2GB card so this can work?

Nothing, Project M will work by itself, even on un-modded Wiis thanks to an exploit in Brawl, just copy it to your 2gb, follow the directions and you're good.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Reive posted:

Nothing, Project M will work by itself, even on un-modded Wiis thanks to an exploit in Brawl, just copy it to your 2gb, follow the directions and you're good.

Cool, The way it was worded on their site seemed to mean you couldn't use the modless version on a modded Wii but if it's based just on the card then I'll try it later.

On another note, What is the best way to make backup of GC and Wii games on the Wii? I tried to do this a few years ago but I got confused by all the cIOS modding minutiae. I'll remove the question if it's a violation of :filez:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

havenwaters posted:

Weird. Maybe CFG is setup for the wrong filesystem in the config file so it locks up.
I guess it was that or a busted ISO. Either way doing ModMii all over again (well, starting after the exploit step anyway) cleared it up. Even got it to update to cfg-loader-mod and slap a new Dios Mios in there to play the GameCube games I ripped (at least the single disc ones). So everything is happy again.

So for the poster above, basically all you do once you have done all the ModMii steps and have CFG installed (some preparation with the hard disc it walks you through) is run CFG, put in your disc and press +. It will figure out the name of the game and copy it and even download the covers for you. If you want GameCube games as well you have to use the update function in CFG to update it across to the "mod" version and then update it again after a restart to get the newest version of that one. I use Dios Mios which I also had to install but I think there are one or two other things you could find and install to play GameCube games you copied. It beats rummaging around in those binders for poo poo on the rare occasions I actually want to use the Wii at least.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 9, 2014

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Island Nation posted:

There's a homebrew version on the downloads page, and it works on any size SD card. Just get that and launch it from the homebrew channel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone point me to a current guide on setting up Wii homebrew on a Wii U? I mostly want to do it since I have the GC controller adaptor and want to play GC games on my Wii U.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone point me to a current guide on setting up Wii homebrew on a Wii U? I mostly want to do it since I have the GC controller adaptor and want to play GC games on my Wii U.

I don't have a WiiU and haven't messed with Nintendont yet personally, but I've been meaning to throw it on my Wii for eons now. Here's the link which will at worst get you started.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, so I got a Wii U recently. And I think I want to do a system transfer, and keep the Wii for mainly GC games and homebrew. But I've also heard you can basically backup everything you have on it so you can put it back after the system transfer takes it all away. So I'd also want to do that. Mainly for some controller purposes.

I also heard the system transfer would choke on any so-called invalid tickets, and I have one out of region Wiiware game installed from a wad file on it. And, of course, the homebrew channel. So I would probably want to "clean up" the Wii first. I also have the shop channel installed from a wad file, since when I wanted to go there last time, it wanted to system update and I didn't let it, if that might make something weird. It's also not impossible that some IOS was installed at some time but at this point I honestly can't remember

So, basically, what I would want to do:

1. Get rid of all homebrew stuff.
2. Update the Wii to the latest version.
3. Do backup.
4. System transfer to Wii U.
5. Put backup back. At this point, I want the Wii to be "legit", at the latest update, with only my actual purchased games on it.
6. Softmod and get homebrew channel back again.

Now, this assumes I don't need homebrew for the backup. If I do, I guess the alternate plan of action is:

1. Get rid of invalid tickets.
2. Backup.
3. Get rid of other homebrew.
4. System update. (actually, it hits me now that system update might be what will remove the homebrew channel)
5. System transfer.
6. Restore backup.
7. Maybe system update again, if the backup puts me at the system update I had? This should be the part where my Wii is "legit"
8. Softmod, homebrew channel.

Assuming I'm correct, which of these is what I'd have to do and what applications do I need for it? And would anything I want to do put me at risk of damaging/bricking my Wii, to the point where I should probably just let it be?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You do need the homebrew to back up NAND and restore the back up. You can system transfer while the wii is homebrewed, none of the stuff you've gotten through homebrew will be touched. You should probably clear that ticket though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

What application do you need for getting rid of tickets? Is it just good old Multi-Mod Manager?

• Locked thread