Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

FlyingCheese you seem to be really up on this. That starfall program looked for a hack.ini file that (at the time) I did not have. It produced an error. Now I can't get booted to that menu, period. Instead if hangs for a bit then goes to the normal wii warning "press a" screen. GeckOS fails to work (it just produces an error followed by garbage). I tried reloading starfall through HBC but it just does the same thing (hangs then boots up normally). I did some research and it seams it has something so do with the System Menu. Do you, or anyone, know how to fix this?

Starfall only works on 3.2, if you're on anything other than that it'll fail. I'm not sure what hack.ini is though. Personally I never used starfall (though I did research on it because I was considering using it for a while).

I highly suggest just waiting for bootmii to come out (any minute now basically from what I can tell) for any system menu hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Its weird that is worked once then suddenly stopped. It still says I have 3.2U so I'm confused. If this bootmii thing works though that would be nice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeeeeaaaaah I'm going to hold off on updating. I'm glad I don't have any little brothers or anyone in the house but me and the wife, and she knows all about why updating is a bad thing. :D

Looking forward to what's coming up from the scene as far as menu hacking goes. I've not touched anything beyond Twilight + HBC + DVDX so far, but if this is good, I might take the plunge.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FlyingCheese posted:

Because this might be the update where they add forced updates from now on. It's too early to tell whether or not the new firmware is auto-updating or not. And while this update might not kill homebrew, a forced one down the line could. It's still up in the air until we get people debugging this thing and seeing what it does.

Forgot about that, I'll wait for now, I suppose I could emulators if I needed a quick 8-bit fix

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Code Jockey posted:

Looking forward to what's coming up from the scene as far as menu hacking goes. I've not touched anything beyond Twilight + HBC + DVDX so far, but if this is good, I might take the plunge.

Bootmii is basically what we're all waiting for. It's going to allow us complete control of our Wii's, everything from menu hacking to region free to system update prevention and modification. It's all possible because it'll run even before the system menu does in the boot2 section of the Wii.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

Bootmii is basically what we're all waiting for. It's going to allow us complete control of our Wii's, everything from menu hacking to region free to system update prevention and modification. It's all possible because it'll run even before the system menu does in the boot2 section of the Wii.

Yeah that's going to be amazing. Hopefully it remains totally invisible to Nintendo, and hopefully it doesn't cause issue with things like DLC. Maybe if there's some way to boot with it disabled, I really need to go read up on it.

e. Reading that wiki page has me grinning like an idiot. So basically there's nothing Nintendo can do about disabling the Wii, since the hack resides in the first writable part of memory? :laugh: God I'm glad I bought a Wii.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2009

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I didn't really get the impression that they're about to release bootmii with that posting. To me it looked like he was just jeering Nintendo for not really doing anything to stop the VC/Wiiware piracy with the latest update.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 26, 2009

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah that's going to be amazing. Hopefully it remains totally invisible to Nintendo, and hopefully it doesn't cause issue with things like DLC. Maybe if there's some way to boot with it disabled, I really need to go read up on it.

e. Reading that wiki page has me grinning like an idiot. So basically there's nothing Nintendo can do about disabling the Wii, since the hack resides in the first writable part of memory? :laugh: God I'm glad I bought a Wii.

Not entirely though, since boot2 is writable, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from overwriting bootmii. The key is to get it installed first before they do that and then make it read-only.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

Not entirely though, since boot2 is writable, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from overwriting bootmii. The key is to get it installed first before they do that and then make it read-only.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant - having BootMii be able to lock and unlock boot2 or provide some way of catching attempted writes to it and stopping them [which I guess is the definition of read-only...].

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ballz posted:

I didn't really get the impression that they're about to release bootmii with that posting. To me it looked like he was just jeering Nintendo for not really doing anything to stop the VC/Wiiware piracy with the latest update.

It was this line that makes me think so:

quote:

This was also your last chance to get rid of some piracy before the release of a NAND backup/restore solution.

Which is, among other things, exactly what bootmii does really. Bootmii allows complete hardware control, which is a godsend for pirates along with homebrew devs. Sort of a side effect of it. Bootmii itself wont be a piracy program but it'll be a stepping stone for pirates to use their own software.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, I got that vibe too.

Honestly I'll be happy to be able to play backups of the stuff I own, I'm really bad with discs, I wreck them like no other. I wish there was a way to hard drive mod the thing, but I'm guessing SD launching isn't too far away [or is speed a concern? I've got no idea what the hardware limits would be] which would be absolutely amazing. Goodbye load times, goodbye wear and tear on the laser [which may not even be an issue with the Wii DVD drive, I've just got the PS2 mindset], and it'll be awesome to have my entire game library nice and portable on a tiny little card.

Desrever
Nov 23, 2004

I remember hearing talk of being able to back up multiple gamecube games on a single dvd. I only own about 4 gamecube games, but having one disc to hold them all would be so much easier to keep track of. (I have no cases for these games, so they get scratched the gently caress up) Is this something that bootmii will assist in? Or am I mistaken.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Desrever posted:

I remember hearing talk of being able to back up multiple gamecube games on a single dvd. I only own about 4 gamecube games, but having one disc to hold them all would be so much easier to keep track of. (I have no cases for these games, so they get scratched the gently caress up) Is this something that bootmii will assist in? Or am I mistaken.

You need to install the backup launchers.
And a multidisc making utility (with the isos).
For some strange reason, in the ones I've made the first and second game (no matter if they were shrunk or not) load fine, but the third is very sketchy.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Looks like there may be a USB loader on the way pretty soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/30/homebrew-wii-usb-loader-gets-demoed-on-video/

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Looks like there may be a USB loader on the way pretty soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/30/homebrew-wii-usb-loader-gets-demoed-on-video/

http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side/

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why are all the programmers who operate in the gray coding area that is homebrew such little bitches? We all know marcan is a decent programmer, but it seems amazingly immature to waste your time proving you can do something faster than someone else, especially when you don't believe in piracy and will never release the code you just made.

I know Waninkoko is pretty much making :filez: easier and marcan is adamantly against piracy, but it seems to me that everyone would just be better off if these guys toned down their egos a bit and just focused on their own poo poo.

Marcan can use the argument that Nintendo will more likely crack down on the 'legitimate' homebrewers because of this all he wants, but what he's done (in Nintendo's eyes anyway) isn't any better because he's enabling the guys like Waninkoko with the extremely useful code he's developed.

:suicide:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Hamelin posted:

Why are all the programmers who operate in the gray coding area that is homebrew such little bitches? We all know marcan is a decent programmer, but it seems amazingly immature to waste your time proving you can do something faster than someone else, especially when you don't believe in piracy and will never release the code you just made.

I know Waninkoko is pretty much making :filez: easier and marcan is adamantly against piracy, but it seems to me that everyone would just be better off if these guys toned down their egos a bit and just focused on their own poo poo.

Marcan can use the argument that Nintendo will more likely crack down on the 'legitimate' homebrewers because of this all he wants, but what he's done (in Nintendo's eyes anyway) isn't any better because he's enabling the guys like Waninkoko with the extremely useful code he's developed.

:suicide:

I think the main problem marcan has with Waninkoko is that he's profiting from these so-called "homebrew" piracy apps which are shamelessly stolen (usually without even credit to the original authors) and violating GPL on top of it.

Marcan is being a little bitch about it but the fact is that Waninkoko does nothing but cobble other peoples code into very buggy programs used for piracy and ad sales. gently caress him.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
So yea, the USB loader is awesome. I compared loading times against real disks and it's loads anywhere from 50 to 100 percent faster depending on what it is, and I don't have to listen to the optical drive clunking away all the time. Cool stuff.

Just a note for anyone else who tries it, if you have problems running a game, make sure you have a disk in the drive. Doesn't matter what it is, I have WiiFit in the drive to make Prime3 work.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2009

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lowclock posted:

So yea, the USB loader is awesome. I compared loading times against real disks and it's loads anywhere from 50 to 100 percent faster depending on what it is, and I don't have to listen to the optical drive clunking away all the time. Cool stuff.

Just a note for anyone else who tries it, if you have problems running a game, make sure you have a disk in the drive. Doesn't matter what it is, I have WiiFit in the drive to make Prime3 work.

I assume it supports NTSC as images are DVD sized?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Lowclock posted:

Is it possible to install such a program with a 4.0 console?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I can't really find much information on this new USB loader. Does it work with Gamecube games, or only Wii games? I saw screenshots of the program being used to format a usb device and rip disc images. Once you do that, can you hook the USB device back up to a PC to add/remove disc images?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
What I've read about it says that it doesn't work with GCN images yet, but in the future it might be updated to do so.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Lowclock posted:

So yea, the USB loader is awesome.

Big question, what exactly does it load? I saw USB External Hard Drives, but what about USB Flash Drives or the such? If it loads those, then I agree. Awesome app, indeed.

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Edoraz posted:

Big question, what exactly does it load? I saw USB External Hard Drives, but what about USB Flash Drives or the such? If it loads those, then I agree. Awesome app, indeed.

I just loaded Rune Factory: Frontier onto a 4gb Kingston USB drive. It only took up 2.2GB copying over in just over 13 minutes.

Its great because now the load times between screens is half what they are using the disc.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
I swear, the Wii just keeps getting more like the PSP by everyday.

Must be nice not having to hear the Wii Drive (I remember mine being way too loving loud).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I assume this is new to the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQoEneMQ4R4

quote:

This is a PREVIEW of an exploit in the system menu that comex found that will let us run custom code on an UN MODDED WII , which means we can basically set up homebrew on a wii without twilight princess, or even a dvd drive. It's just a channel on an SD card. Currently it is just set up to load the HBC but more will come soon.
Then again is it April 1st now :suicide:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Maxwell Adams posted:

I can't really find much information on this new USB loader. Does it work with Gamecube games, or only Wii games? I saw screenshots of the program being used to format a usb device and rip disc images. Once you do that, can you hook the USB device back up to a PC to add/remove disc images?
No to GCN images; Wii games only so far. It uses a wii-specific filesystem, so the loader itself will format the drive. You can't read the drive directly after that on a windows system (not sure about the linux program I saw), but there is a program to transfer disc images, assuming you've assigned the now-unreadable drive a letter.

I've used both a 2GB flash drive and an 80GB minature SATA in a scavenged USB enclosure, and both work flawlessly in my limited testing, though I haven't tried the transfer program yet.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Lowclock posted:

Is this an april fools?

Sounds too good to be true..
how do I get this loader?
will it work with any usb drive device?
can I convert my own Wii disks to run on this for improved speed?

With all this in mind is it only a matter of time before Nintendo releases its own hard-disk addon allowing you to install games Xbox360 style?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

MZ posted:

With all this in mind is it only a matter of time before Nintendo releases its own hard-disk addon allowing you to install games Xbox360 style?
At the very least, this can work.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/280456.html

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

.TakaM posted:

At the very least, this can work.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/280456.html

Aargh that is awesome!

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

MZ posted:

Aargh that is awesome!

I've heard that it was a special device made for a convention and that nintendo aren't planning on releasing it at all. :(

But the good news is that the usb loader isn't an april fools joke and actually works quite well. To get it installed you need to be able to run homebrew (see OP) and install a custom IOS which im not sure is legal or not.

It works with most USB devices that are a "USB Mass Storage Device". And the program itself can rip the disc to your usb drive, you just pop it in and press '+' to "Install" it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MZ posted:

Is this an april fools?

Sounds too good to be true..
how do I get this loader?
will it work with any usb drive device?
can I convert my own Wii disks to run on this for improved speed?

Haha No it's legit.

Google for it. It's just called USB loader.

Pretty much.

Yes.

VVVVV It's region free, and there are already PAL and NTSC patched versions out there too, so yes.

VVVV e. your e. Do not try to remove IOSs ever at all for any reason. Overwrite them. If that doesn't make sense then no, no you can't.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 1, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That sounds freaking awesome. I'm assuming it will allow running images outside of the console's region, like PS2 hdd modding?

e. and since I notice it requires a custom IOS to be installed, is it possible to remove custom IOSs after installing them? Just wondering. I've stayed away from it so far, mostly out of paranoia about Nintendo scanning for things, but this is the first thing released that might make me change my mind.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 1, 2009

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
So, can it be installed on a 4.0 console or not?

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

Luisfe posted:

So, can it be installed on a 4.0 console or not?

At the moment, only if you already have a way of running homebrew (i.e homebrew channel)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

how would I install a custom IOS? can someone write a step-by-step to get this usb loader to work, I don't wanna brick my wii!!

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

MZ posted:

how would I install a custom IOS? can someone write a step-by-step to get this usb loader to work, I don't wanna brick my wii!!

Do you have the homebrew channel installed?
Which firmware is your Wii running?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

yes I have the homebrew channel, and firmware 3.2E (I'm in the uk)

whould I upgrade to 4.0 first or will it kill it? and would it be possible to upgrade to 4 at a later stage after installing the new ios?

Stokesy
Nov 26, 2003

G-R-A-S-P

MZ posted:

yes I have the homebrew channel, and firmware 3.2E (I'm in the uk)

whould I upgrade to 4.0 first or will it kill it? and would it be possible to upgrade to 4 at a later stage after installing the new ios?

I'd just leave it as is for now. You should be able to upgrade later on, but there isn't really a reason to at the moment.

You need a couple of things.

cIOS Installer rev9
USB Loader v1.1
IOS36-64-v1042.wad
(google these)

load the cios installer and the usbloader into the /apps/ folder like you would any other homebrew app, and put the IOS36-64-v1042.wad in the root of your SD card.

Boot HBC and run cIOS Installer to install the custom IOS. Reboot your Wii.
Plug in a USB drive, and load the USB Loader from the HBC.
It will ask to format the USB drive. You will lose all data on the drive.
Now just pop in a game disc and press '+' to copy it to your USB drive.

That should be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

thanks, I'll give it a shot!

• Locked thread