Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh right, duh. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I updated to 3.4 a while back and it works fine, so even if you were updated that wouldn't be the problem.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

japtor posted:

I updated to 3.4 a while back and it works fine, so even if you were updated that wouldn't be the problem.

Recent updates DO block things. Certain homebrew programs simply won't work past 3.2. The main difference is that most people don't run those programs, so they don't notice.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

FlyingCheese posted:

Recent updates DO block things. Certain homebrew programs simply won't work past 3.2. The main difference is that most people don't run those programs, so they don't notice.

What homebrew programs won't work? Starfall?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Luisfe posted:

What homebrew programs won't work? Starfall?

Starfall, Patchmii, anything that uses the Trucha Signing Bug, as well as the "backup" loader that I don't think we're supposed to talk about here.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

as well as the "backup" loader that I don't think we're supposed to talk about here.

This does work on 3.4. I can't speak for the other things you listed but I think a lot of people freaking out about "3.4 kills homebrew!!" are just wrong.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

zandert33 posted:

This does work on 3.4. I can't speak for the other things you listed but I think a lot of people freaking out about "3.4 kills homebrew!!" are just wrong.

Hmm, last I read it doesn't. Has there been an updated version or something?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Hmm, last I read it doesn't. Has there been an updated version or something?

The version that has been out for the past 4 months works, I can't say anything about a previous release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3.4 manually deletes a couple of things, like the older version of the DVDx stub, and prevents you from re-installing them if you don't already have the Homebrew Channel installed. Since it was released pretty much everything has been updated to work with 3.4, including the Twilight Hack, so while there's no real advantage to updating it's not as inhibiting as it originally was.

Anyway, there's a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup port now, hopefully it's not too glitchy.

Innominatus
May 19, 2004

And we can rust the whole world...
Thanks for the easy instructions in the OP. I spent a few hours reading up on stuff today, rented Twilight Princess, and got the Homebrew Channel up and running pretty effortlessly. Now I'm loading up my Wii with all sorts of cool stuff; this is the most use I've gotten out of it since I bought it at launch.

I can't believe I can play Tyrian on my Wii!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
How would one update to a later firmware but not the latest one? I'm running 3.1u at the moment, I'd like to update to 3.2u.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Epileper posted:

How would one update to a later firmware but not the latest one? I'm running 3.1u at the moment, I'd like to update to 3.2u.

That version of the firmware will install from a copy of Wii Fit or Mario Kart, so if you have access to either of those it'd be the easiest bet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Liku posted:

Alright, since I posted my question in a dead thread (because I'm a loving idiot) what should I do about Gecko OS not running? I tried the latest version, in .dol format, but when I try it from the HBC I get a message saying "This is not a Wii application." Solutions?

Not to nag, but I've tried everything and I still can't get this to work.

Oh, and Nintendo is starting to ban Wiis that have been found to be using codes online in Mario Kart Wii. This should be posted in the OP, it seems as long as you're not taking codes and poo poo online you're in the clear for using Homebrew.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Liku posted:

Oh, and Nintendo is starting to ban Wiis that have been found to be using codes online in Mario Kart Wii. This should be posted in the OP, it seems as long as you're not taking codes and poo poo online you're in the clear for using Homebrew.

My what a lovely forum.

Well, hopefully this doesn't branch into "if you play anything at all online, codes or no, they scan and ban". I don't think I've played anything over WFC except one game of mario kart months ago, but I do plan on using RB2 DLC a lot.

e. and honestly I'm sure the ticket will get hidden better in the next month or so, knowing the community

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That version of the firmware will install from a copy of Wii Fit or Mario Kart, so if you have access to either of those it'd be the easiest bet.

And it wouldn't disable the homebrew channel or anything like that?
Thank you for your help.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Yeah, it always seemed disingenuous toname the ticket "Homebrew Channel" to me, why not name it after Wii Sports or something so as not to raise suspicion?

Epileper posted:

And it wouldn't disable the homebrew channel or anything like that?
Thank you for your help.

Nope, 3.2 is the last firmware revision before Nintendo started actively blocking that stuff. You won't be able to access the Wii Shop Channel, though, unless you use the Wii Shop Updater found on the Wiibrew wiki.

Desrever
Nov 23, 2004

Sorry guys... I can't hang out tonight... I got a hot date

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

Desrever posted:

Sorry guys... I can't hang out tonight... I got a hot date

Finally, the date rape sim I was waiting for.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I don't understand how anyone finds those horrible uncanny valley Poser rendered dolls remotely attractive :gonk:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Liku posted:

Wrong. Besides, homebrew =/= codes and I think most people here and on hackmii/wiibrew would like to keep those connotations separate as much as possible.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I won't add the Mario Kart stuff to the OP because it's not related to homebrew. Online cheaters are retarded and deserve to be banned.

By the way, I've read some bad news. Nintendo decided to go offensive in the war against homebrew. A recent note stated that any Wii with unauthorized software on it (HBC, warez poo poo, etc) is to be treated as out of warranty, and the repairs cost will be higher regardless of whether the problem is related to what users have installed, when sent into repairs. Users will also have to choose between having the software removed or not getting any repairs.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Keito posted:

By the way, I've read some bad news. Nintendo decided to go offensive in the war against homebrew. A recent note stated that any Wii with unauthorized software on it (HBC, warez poo poo, etc) is to be treated as out of warranty, and the repairs cost will be higher regardless of whether the problem is related to what users have installed, when sent into repairs. Users will also have to choose between having the software removed or not getting any repairs.

Isn't it easy enough to get rid of all traces, unless your Wii wont boot, in which case, how are they going to know?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If the system works, the daily play logs?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Keito posted:

I won't add the Mario Kart stuff to the OP because it's not related to homebrew. Online cheaters are retarded and deserve to be banned.

I totally agree.

Also, is there anyway to just remove all the daily play logs which contain references to the HBC?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keito posted:

Ocarina's homebrew though, and some use it to play with cheats together. Brawl+ for example.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Liku posted:

Ocarina's homebrew though, and some use it to play with cheats together. Brawl+ for example.

Cheating ONLINE is retarded and you deserve to be banned. It only flags people if they are cheating and online. The existence of HBC is just one thing they detect for.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

FlyingCheese posted:

Cheating ONLINE is retarded and you deserve to be banned. It only flags people if they are cheating and online. The existence of HBC is just one thing they detect for.
And if you want to, say, play Brawl+ with Friends ONLINE? :) (If both players don't have the same codeset in Brawl, the game desyncs anyways)

Nobody knows what they detect for, if it's Homebrew Channel or them just going into MKW Match Logs (if they exist) and looking for "Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill", or if they check for any modified data somehow. It's all speculation at this point. :iiam:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 24, 2009

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

If the system works, the daily play logs?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... is there a system format type option to return it to factory defaults?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... is there a system format type option to return it to factory defaults?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/data.jsp#format

That oughta do it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

maketakunai posted:

And if you want to, say, play Brawl+ with Friends ONLINE? :) (If both players don't have the same codeset in Brawl, the game desyncs anyways)

Nobody knows what they detect for, if it's Homebrew Channel or them just going into MKW Match Logs (if they exist) and looking for "Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill, Bullet Bill", or if they check for any modified data somehow. It's all speculation at this point. :iiam:

Brawl+ sucks anyway. No real loss there. :smug:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah, thats pretty much what I meant. As long as you can boot in, you can format it and they wouldn't be able to tell, unless the Wii was transmitting your play logs to Nintendo.

If you can't boot in though, like the Wii is totally trashed, they might be able to copy the internal stats in order to test for presence of HBC/other flags.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wii Menu 4.0 out today, with SDHC support and the "SD Menu". Updated, and my Homebrew Channel and the handful of apps I had on my SD card all still work so far.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

A Violence Gang posted:

Wii Menu 4.0 out today, with SDHC support and the "SD Menu". Updated, and my Homebrew Channel and the handful of apps I had on my SD card all still work so far.

Have you done any Wad-type stuff? This 4.0 update is excellent, but I'm not going to be an early adopter.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

A Violence Gang posted:

I was just about to post this, so my homebrew channel will remain in my Wii menu and function as normal?

I would like to know about installing WADs too...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zandert33 posted:

Have you done any Wad-type stuff? This 4.0 update is excellent, but I'm not going to be an early adopter.

I'm not even sure what that means, so probably not? Does that refer to WADs like for Doom and Quake? I've got Doom and Quake installed but I haven't used any custom WADs. But I really have no idea if that's what you're talking about.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

A Violence Gang posted:

Awesome. Lots of props to you guys willing to take the plunge.

Not that I want to let go of my precious 3.3U quite yet. I don't watch DVDs on the Wii, but still.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

A Violence Gang posted:

I'm not even sure what that means, so probably not? Does that refer to WADs like for Doom and Quake? I've got Doom and Quake installed but I haven't used any custom WADs. But I really have no idea if that's what you're talking about.

Channels that you installed that you can view on the Wii Menu screen (instead of the Homebrew channel itself).

I mainly want to know if those existing channels still work, and if you are able to install new channels.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zandert33 posted:

Channels that you installed that you can view on the Wii Menu screen (instead of the Homebrew channel itself).

I mainly want to know if those existing channels still work, and if you are able to install new channels.

I don't have any of those, so can't say. And I haven't tried installing any new homebrew apps through the Homebrew Browser or anything since the update, so can't speak to that either.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Took the plunge and updated (Since I REALLY wanted that SD Card menu)

Everything seems to be in working order!
:D Geexbox still works (one of the main things I use the Homebrew channel for)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Hmm, poo poo. I went to update it and now my Homebrew Channel won't work. To be fair I haven't actually tried to use it in a few months but when I load HB Channel, the screen goes black and that's about it.

Any ideas? I hope I don't have to re-do the Twilight Princess glitch, I don't have the game anymore.

• Locked thread