Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

Is there any real reason to keep wiiconnect24 off? I read somewhere to turn it off, I guess that was just recommended to avoid getting the update messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

Liku posted:

How big should I make the partition? I have a 500GB with about 200GB taken up and about 6 games; my library probably won't expand much more than that, but you never know.

I'm either loving dumb or this is just confusing, but how do I get WBFS to run? I tried one that was command-based but it closed instantly and another one with a GUI refused to open.

I got 10 or 11 games on 26 gigs. They seem to be averaging ~3gb. Brawl was like 7gb and some games like zelda/wii sports were tiny.

I got one of the GUI WBFS things to run but it only worked if I had the .exes in the root of my windows partition. It also seems to work better if you use the usb loader itself to format your drive instead of a program.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

helsabot posted:

Ok, i decided to try doing the homebrew stuff since my wii has just been sitting gathering dust for about a year. But i just checked my system version, and I'm still on menu 3.0 or something like that. Do I want to upgrade my system version before starting with BootMii et al?

Nope. Don't do that. Install BootMii as boot2 first and foremost. Make sure you get cios and whatever else you want installed and then you can go to 4.2 via a 'safe updater' if you want to.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I've tried both USB ports as the poster below suggested. I plug in the USB to the Wii, power on the HDD, then power on the Wii. I just got a jumper so I was able to try setting the drive to master and there's still no change. I am using Configurable USB Loader, it attempts to mount the device, please wait... then times out after 30 seconds. I'm using a 300GB Seagate internal 3.5" HDD, connected with IDE cable. I have 2 partitions on the HDD, first partition is FAT, second is WBFS. With it I am using an Eagle Consus N-Series enclosure I just got from Newegg. I am wondering does the compatibility with the Wii depend upon the HDD itself or the enclosure with the USB interface? I'm going to try a few different USB Loaders in the meantime.

I'm using a 300gb IDE Seagate through a cheap enclosure with dual partitions and mine works fine. So, yours should be compatible.

I did have a little bit of trouble getting the partitions formatted correctly the first time, maybe find a guide and go through that again?

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

How cheap of an enclosure are we talking here? I'm wanting to hook an old IDE drive to my Wii but I'm afraid some $18 enclosure will set my house on fire or something.

Mine is the one that says "metal gear box" on it in the metal gear solid font. It's pretty cheap. I wouldn't keep most cheap enclosures on 24/7, but I wouldn't worry too much either.

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Can you link to a guide you used or help me with what I'm doing wrong. I formatted one partition FAT32 using Wii Backup Manager, formatted the other partition as WBFS. Then I transferred the games onto the WBFS partition using Wii Backup Manager. There is nothing on the FAT32 partition except a wbfs folder, not sure why that is there exactly. Seems pretty straight forward to me unless I overlooked something.

I really have no idea since I set it up about a year ago, but I likely followed a guide somewhere on gbatemp. You do have to make sure to have the right settings for each partition; logical/primary/extended etc. I think I used "WBFS Manager" to format the WBFS side and plain windows drive manager for the NTFS side.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I haven't touched it since I got it working.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

In case anyone else is having problems updating Netflix:

Delete your Netflix save file using the Wii data management menu.

Install IOS56 and the latest shop channel (get both from modmii), if you haven't already done that.

If you have already uninstalled any "old" Netflix in any fashion, reinstall it with your wad manager.

Now, uninstall it from your wad manager twice. Run it twice, really.

This is because every method of uninstalling it leaves tickets, and two passes in wad manager is the only method I've tried that wipes them (I did try anytitledeleter). I've seen this happen with 3 separate Wiis so far.

Ok, now install Netflix from the shop channel and you won't get any errors!!! hopefully!!!

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

I've searched Google, Lifehacker, Wiibrew, but have not found an answer.

Is there a way to make a wii with built-in wifi into a wireless bridge/range extender? Thank You.

Nope. And it's probably unlikely to ever happen, as the wireless device would need to have that ability built in.

Find a DD-WRT compatible router and flash it. I've used them as both wireless bridges and repeaters and they work wonderfully. It can be a single antenna device and act as a repeater too.

You can find them used for cheap on ebay, at thrift stores, etc. WRT54G(L/S) is a good bet. Compatible routers can even be found new for $20-30 on newegg or amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

So after throwing some roms on the SD card, I tried to load up one of the gamecube games in either loader. All I get is an unhelpful error "This is not a Wii game" in Configurable (which also seems to freeze the Wii), and GX won't even look at the SD card. I also threw WiiFlow on... which crashes the Wii instantly on bootup.

This might not be relevant to SD booting, but at least for USB:

Make sure you format the drive with a 32kb cluster size or less. Also some drives "just don't work" because of their low level sector size (usually 1-4tb drives that moved from 512b to 4k).

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Dios_Mios_HDD_Compatibility_List

All About Trout fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 10, 2013

• Locked thread