Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You can install the new homebrew channel from inside the old homebrew channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've never played a game with an update I already had, is there some sort of message or something that pops up?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why are all the programmers who operate in the gray coding area that is homebrew such little bitches? We all know marcan is a decent programmer, but it seems amazingly immature to waste your time proving you can do something faster than someone else, especially when you don't believe in piracy and will never release the code you just made.

I know Waninkoko is pretty much making :filez: easier and marcan is adamantly against piracy, but it seems to me that everyone would just be better off if these guys toned down their egos a bit and just focused on their own poo poo.

Marcan can use the argument that Nintendo will more likely crack down on the 'legitimate' homebrewers because of this all he wants, but what he's done (in Nintendo's eyes anyway) isn't any better because he's enabling the guys like Waninkoko with the extremely useful code he's developed.

:suicide:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You can get a wad of the USB Loader channel for your Wii Menu. I have also heard it is possible to make wads that will launch a specific game from the USB Loader as well.

Your best bet is to take a look through the GBATemp forums.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The IOSes work a little screwy because of the way Nintendo does updates. It's not like a firmware update or how xbox does things. Every game (and I believe some core functions of the Wii) that you run needs a certain version of the IOS, when you get an update, Nintendo patches old versions and installs new ones. Deleting an IOS can render your Wii inoperable.

The Trucha-signing bug that allowed you to install wads (in addition to other things) that was around when System Menu 3.2 was around was patched out of the IOSes that it existed in when further updates came out. During those updates, not only did you get the next numbered IOS, but updated versions of the old IOSes that were already on your Wii (in addition to ones numbered the same as some of the hacked IOSes, if you had those or not, that would overwrite them).

There are hacks that update the Wii while leaving the Trucha-signing bug in.

That's how I understand it anyway, did I get anything wrong?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

coco bryce posted:

I just got Homebrew Channel and USB Loader set up on my 3.1U Wii. Is there a safe way to update my Wii to a newer version? Is there a reason to?
Main reason would be to be able to use the SD card loading functionality Nintendo added to the Wii menu and regain access to the Wii Shop channel. Games also back up to (and load off of) SD cards much much faster than they used to.

I used this tutorial to do it, I can still install wads and nothing seems to have broken, but it's really up to you. Just make sure you have the homebrew channel already installed and fully updated, and an active internet connection on the Wii. It will disable the Twilight hack from working in the future, and things like starfall, so if you really need those, don't do it.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 7, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think you'd be better off finding a list of games that aren't. I haven't heard of any that don't work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I used Waninoko's 4.0 Updater to update, it keeps the trucha bug. Still disables preloaders and starfall.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah me too. I have to say, despite them saying that BootMii is very beta right on the website, and stating that there will be bugs and it's not horribly useful yet, the idiots over on GBATemp are absolutely freaking out about it.

And they're all really stupid about it. Who the christ installs BootMii then purposefully bricks their Wii just so they can repair it with the program?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The file needs to be in its own folder in the apps folder and be named boot.dol. You have it like that?

You shouldn't need to preloader to make anything work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There are "forwarder" channels that will open up a specific boot.dol in your apps folder. I've found it's the easiest way to do things, since it's a lot easier to update the loader.

Look around on GBATemp and you'll find one.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Capnbigboobies posted:

To all the people having hard drive compatibility problems, use a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive and an el-cheepo usb enclosure. The enclosures are USB powered and often do not have a standby mode to crash your games. Also you don't need an extra power brick to plug in.

I am using a kingwin enclosure that was like 10 dollars from Fry's and I have never had a game crash on me.

I really don't see the point of using a full sized HD that is 200+ gb. There are not that many good wii games. I have probably the top ~15 games for the system and it takes up about 40gb.
Yeah, I'm probably going to repartition my drive, it's only hit 50 gigs and I doubt that I'll ever fill up another 25, let alone the whole thing.

It's also annoying because it has a separate power cord and I keep forgetting to switch the drat thing off after I shut my wii off. Using a drive that draws power only from the Wii would be so much more convenient.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Rename the elf or dol file boot.elf (or dol) and put it on the root of your SD card when using bannerbomb. You should probably start with the homebrew channel since that makes it really easy to run other homebrew later.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MustelaFuro posted:

Thank you. Since I don't have the Zelda game, don't I need bannerbomb to install homebrew in the first place?
The twilight hack and bannerbomb both do the same thing (launch elf or dol files). If you install the homebrew channel with either method that will make it much easier to launch future elf or dol files, instead of having to run bannerbomb every time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
When I opened up the Homebrew Channel today to run something it asked me if I wanted to update to version 1.0.3, so I did and it also included the option to install bootmii v2, so I just went ahead and did that. It was real easy.

Le0, bootmii, supposing it installs in boot2, actually installs in a spot before the preloader, it shouldn't effect it at all, as I understand it (I don't use the preloader myself).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Milky_Sauce posted:

I was never asked to install the preloader, it was just there. What's the point of it anyway? To get to the Homebrew Channel without having to go through the Wii menu?
The preloader is a seperate piece of homebrew that includes hacks for the wii menu and stuff. It's not necessary. Stuff like removing the health and safety screen and poo poo like that. It has no affiliation with the guys that make bootmii and the homebrew channel.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ballz posted:

Just installed bootmii (through boot2, not IOS). While the boot menu is pretty slick, I don't really need to access it unless I want to backup/restore the NAND. Is removing the SD card the only way to disable it at startup?
You can remove the bootmii folder from the SD card, bootmii won't run unless it is there (I think it looks for a specific file in there, I'm not sure what one), just save it somewhere on your computer so if you need to run bootmii later you can put it back on there.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, the reason they did it that way is so if you ever send the Wii in to Nintendo they won't even know that bootmii is installed.

Which seems odd because Nintendo could just put in their own SD card with those files in it. I would be surprised if they were not aware of all the latest homebrew. Unless it generates some sort of unique key or something. :confused:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

I have a BootMii bug. Whenever I turn my Wii on and it shows the BootMii menu, all of my controllers stop working and I'm unable to access anything without hitting the reset button on the wii to boot into the regular menu.
That's not a bug, due to hardware limitations at that point in the wii's boot process, the wiimotes won't work. You need to either use a gamecube controller or hit the power button on the wii to scroll through the options. The reset button selects things.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The only complaint I have about WAD Manager is it doesn't tell you how many blocks a game is going to take up, nor how many are free in the Wii.

If it could install straight to the SD card that would be fantastic too.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Liku posted:

But after you install the WADs as channels, can't you just put them on the SD card?
I can and do, and I know it doesn't take that long to transfer them from the Wii to the SD, but removing steps would be nice.

Dominic White posted:

Also, yeah - is there any WAD manager out there that tells you how much space you have left, and how much space things will take up?
WAD Manager 1.4 is open source, maybe somebody will add that functionality in.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 9, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, I just heard from a friend of mine that works at Toys-R-Us that they just got their shipment of Ghostbusters in. Take from that what you will.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I'm running rev13b, should I downgrade or just wait for the next version?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My crappy seven-year-old IDE drive died on me yesterday when I was adding a game to it. I really should just go out and buy a new one for using with the Wii, one that is small and only runs off of USB power, but money's tight so I guess I will be going without for a while.

I don't think it had anything to do with using it with the Wii, just that it was a lovely drive to begin with.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

Anyone know of a homebrew app that will allow me to transfer a gamecube save file from SD to GCN memory card?
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gamecube_Saver

There are a couple, always check https://wiibrew.org

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I finally got some spending cash so I'm in the market for a new USB hard drive to replace the one that died on me a couple weeks ago. Is there any consensus on what I should get? I'd like to not break the bank on this if possible.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, the downside of getting a chip put into it is also that if you ever need to send the Wii in to Nintendo for service you're screwed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo's servers can't even be that great, apparently there's a Oceania code floating around that'll override a ban on your Wii, like in Mario Kart.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, but I believe you do need to have CIOS rev 14 on there before the 4.1 updater will take. That's what happened for me anyway, and I was at 4.0

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just run the latest one, the custom CIOS will overwrite whatever previous one you have. If you already have it, there's no harm done.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
How much have you done to your Wii so far?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There are ways to repartition a hard drive that has data on it but it takes forever. Resizing a partition so you can add another one after it takes forever. I've always found it's usually just as fast or faster to move everything off the drive, wipe it and partition it, and move everything back on.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Try using this version of AnyTitle Deleter, it downloads a file to your SD card that'll display what all the tickets are. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyTitle_Deleter/AnyTitle_Deleter_MOD

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the trucha bug is required if you want to install anything with the wad manager.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lobster Maneuver posted:

Here's some instructions I c/ped from somewhere else.

Don't be intimidated, it takes like 2 minutes to set up.
Huh, does the same thing work for Sam and Max?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mandrill posted:

Does all of this need to be done with an SD card? Sometimes in the complete soft mod tutorial they use SD card and USB interchangeably. Can I do the whole soft mod with my 32 gig USB stick? Just bought a wii today an decided to do this.
No, you need a SD card to install the Homebrew Channel with Bannerbomb and to run programs off of in the Homebrew Channel. Some programs can take stuff off a USB drive once they're running though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Should be more than enough. Most of the homebrew programs aren't terribly big.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What about that update to the homebrew channel that made it display upside down if you were using certain IOSs that could be used to enable piracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I can't figure this out. I just switched to Configurable USB Loader, and I want it, to default, start in console view. I don't really like all the coverflow options and I just want the simple list. How do I do this?

• Locked thread