Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

All About Trout posted:

Is there any real reason to keep wiiconnect24 off? I read somewhere to turn it off, I guess that was just recommended to avoid getting the update messages.

Not homebrew-related, but many people believe leaving WiiConnect24 on can cause heat damage to your GPU which leads to weird graphical glitches or something. Check the Wii megathread OP for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wii Menu 4.0 out today, with SDHC support and the "SD Menu". Updated, and my Homebrew Channel and the handful of apps I had on my SD card all still work so far.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zandert33 posted:

Have you done any Wad-type stuff? This 4.0 update is excellent, but I'm not going to be an early adopter.

I'm not even sure what that means, so probably not? Does that refer to WADs like for Doom and Quake? I've got Doom and Quake installed but I haven't used any custom WADs. But I really have no idea if that's what you're talking about.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zandert33 posted:

Channels that you installed that you can view on the Wii Menu screen (instead of the Homebrew channel itself).

I mainly want to know if those existing channels still work, and if you are able to install new channels.

I don't have any of those, so can't say. And I haven't tried installing any new homebrew apps through the Homebrew Browser or anything since the update, so can't speak to that either.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'll note that I was already on the most current update when I installed HBC and before I performed today's update. Maybe if you weren't current before this, it is breaking HBC?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I installed homebrew with the Twilight Hack back on 3.4 and have since updated to 4.0. All I ever did with homebrew was setup the Homebrew Channel and the Homebrew Browser. Yesterday I installed the RawkSD hack, which allows you to import customs into Rock Band 2. The setup process for this installs a "patched IOS 37". Now I just noticed that when I tried to play Tiger Woods 10 for the first time since, it wants to perform an update. Two questions:

1) Other than I assume undoing the patched IOS 37, rending RawkSD useless, could accepting the update harm my system in any other way (I was under the impression that it won't do anything like remove my already existing homebrew channel, but I wanted to check first)?

2) Is there a simple way to set it up so I can have the patched IOS 37 for RawkSD but not interfere with any other games?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Evil Fiend posted:

For both the above posters asking about games wanting to do updates, if you install Preloader you can tell it to ignore all updates from games in the hacks menu.

Will that actually interfere with the operation of the games? TW10 is MotionPlus so I didn't know if it truly requires the update to work properly?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So is using Preloader to disable the update notices the best option for me (I want to have a patched IOS 37 for RawkSD but not have that interfere with other games that started telling me they need to update since I did that) or is there a better way to go? The anti-bricking stuff sounds neat but I really don't do anything else with homebrew and try to avoid anything that carries that risk anyway, so it's not really a critical feature for me I guess. All I absolutely need is RawkSD working but not conflicting with anything else. I saw the warnings on wiibrew's Preloader page but couldn't tell if they were the standard "this is homebrew, in theory it could gently caress you up" or if it was a real "this is significantly more risky than other programs". The least risky option that solves my problem would be best.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I can't tell from the wiibrew.org page or not -- can I safely install Preloader if I'm on System Menu 4.0?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sizzlechest posted:

Yes. Preloader works with 3.2 and 4.0. Don't know if there are any updated hacks for 4.1.

So it's fine if I just install Preloader 0.29 through HBC on my 4.0U Wii? (Sorry for all the dumb questions, but there's nothing approaching a sensible organization of information on the wiibrew.org page or in the Preloader NFO).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finally got Preloader going; thanks for the advice. Got that message about "fakesign bug" and eventually Googled up the right instructions for some ridiculous downgrading process -- still on 4.0, so I'm not sure what exactly I downgraded, but eventually it worked. Thanks again.

e: Oh wow, first time I went back to the System Menu after doing Preloader it said it couldn't read the disc. That was scary, but once I reinsterted it and rebooted it was fine.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 10, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Speaking of, I installed Preloader but in the Settings menu or the Systemmenu Hacks I'm not seeing the option to skip the health and safety screen, which was honestly the feature I was most looking forward to when I read about Preloader. Do I have to manually add that to the hacks.ini file, or did that option disappear in the latest version of Preloader or what?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sizzlechest posted:

You need to put the correct hacks.ini for your firmware at the root of the SD card.

Thanks, I somehow had the EUR hacks.ini on there by mistake.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Well this is annoying: Just got home with RB:The Beatles and it wants to update my system.

I can't seem to get it to work through USB loader or anything, just gives me a black screen no matter how I launch it.

I wish it was safe just to apply the update :(

edit: Updating from the disk via geckoOS seems to have worked, god drat the intro is fantastic.

Same here; I was using Preloader to skip the update check so it took me a while to realize why it wouldn't boot. Disabled the "skip update check" hack and just accepted the update. Beatles is working now; I just hope it didn't screw anything else up too bad. Only thing I was using homebrew for was RawkSD, should I expect trouble getting that to work now?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Everything seems to work fine for me, though I haven't tried running rawksd yet.

For whatever reason this appears to be a safe update to install. Fingers crossed!

Good news -- tore myself away from TB:RB long enough to pop RB2 back in, everything I imported is still listed, pulled up a RawkSD RB1 song and it worked. Homebrew Channel is still there and working, so yeah, this update, whatever it was that couldn't be skipped, appears to be 100% safe at least for homebrew in general and RawkSD in particular.

Is this the first game to come with an update that you truly had to install to boot? I was able to use Preloader to skip the 4.1 update on Tiger Woods 10 and it ran without any problems at all. Curious to see if the homebrewers figure out what this was all about.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just installed BootMii as boot2 but I can't seem to access the BootMii menu or whatever to backup my NAND. The BootMii as boot2 installer under HackMii reports "SUCCESS". Preparing the SD card from the BootMii installer appears to work, and I verified that the bootmii directory and its files are on the SD card. I see the blue slot light flashes that the BootMii FAQ described when I boot the Wii that supposedly indicate boot2 installation succeeded. My Wii is an early/mid-2008 model on System Menu 4.1. I'd suspect my SD card is incompatible but it's a Lexar 2GB, which is listed as one that works with the current version of BootMii and the issue indicated only appears to be that it's slow for backup.

Is there a button combination or something I'm supposed to hold down during the extra few seconds of black screen before the System Menu comes up to trigger the BootMii menu? I have Preloader installed, do I need to disable it or something? Or is that list incorrect my and SD card actually doesn't work?

Something in the bootmii.ini maybe?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hawk989s posted:

Have you tried installing as IOS to see if that works?

Thanks - just tried that. BootMii/IOS installed fine and I'm running the backup now, appears to be OK. Is that a clue as to why I couldn't access BootMii when installed as boot2?

And since I have Preloader installed, and Preloader can boot to HBC, and HBC can launch BootMii to restore my NAND if I ever needed to, does that mean I have the same protection and there's no point in trying to get it working as boot2?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Stokesy posted:

I had this issue. I initially thought I was using an incompatible SD, but when I deleted the bootmii.ini it worked fine every time, turns out if it can't find the bootmii.ini, but can still find the other files, it automatically runs bootmii. Now I've just renamed the bootmii folder to bootmii_no and change it back whenever I want to use it.

edit: The bootmii.ini was configured correctly and worked fine on another Wii, so it wasn't that.

Interesting, but didn't seem to fix my problem. I've played around a bit with bootmii.ini and as far as I can tell, its presence, absence or contents aren't having an effect on anything. I noticed that unlike the VIDEO setting, AUTOBOOT and BOOTDELAY lines were commented out in the bootmii.ini written to my SD card by the installer. Uncommented them, changed their values, nothing changes -- I get the blue slot light flashes but a few seconds later, System Menu as normal. Occasionally with the SD card inserted I get a black screen and a hard freeze upon booting, but it's not repeatable or tied to any particular change -- I'll simply unplug/replug the power cord, boot and everything's normal the next time.

I guess the simplest explanation is that my SD card actually isn't compatible with BootMii/boot2 -- that list at wiibrew.org could be wrong, or there could be subtle differences in a few models of Lexar 2GB cards that make some unsuitable. Still seems wrong though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

torjus posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but you are using the latest HackMii-installer? I couldn't get BootMii to work with my card using version 0.2, but it works perfectly with 0.3.

Yeah, downloaded from BootMii.org yesterday. It's no big deal but I'm still wondering:

quote:

And since I have Preloader installed, and Preloader can boot to HBC, and HBC can launch BootMii/IOS to restore my NAND if I ever needed to, does that mean I have the same protection and there's no point in trying to get it working as boot2?

Or are there some conditions that BootMii/boot2 would survive but Preloader won't?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Evil Fiend posted:

I believe there are, because each time you update your system menu I think you need to reinstall Preloader, while BootMii stays there fine.

I think you're right in general though on my last update -- an update on The Beatles: Rock Band disc that I had to install before the game would boot, even with Preloader's skip update check enabled, all my homebrew including Preloader survived.

Stokesy posted:

Maybe try reformatting your sd card as a last ditch effort?

Worth a shot; I'll copy the contents over to my PC, format it and try from scratch with just the HackMii installer on it. FAT32 I assume?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Checked my card and it was FAT16 so I tried formatting as FAT32 and same deal -- it seems as though BootMii/boot2 is properly installed but it isn't reading the SD card at all, so I'm going to assume that's what the problem is. I did back up my NAND with BootMii/IOS and I'll just try another card sometime when I have one around. Thanks for the help, everyone who tried.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What I'm curious about is, why, if Nintendo always had this ability to disable BootMii's boot2 or whatever, why was BootMii described as a defense that made your console "unbrickable"? Was it not known that Nintendo could/would do that? Or were BootMii's capabilities exaggerated or misunderstood?

Really glad the update on the TB:RB disc a few weeks ago was harmless and not 4.2, since I spent all of five seconds considering the risks before thinking "gently caress it it's the Beatles gotta do it now" and accepting the update.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't use any USB or backup loaders so this might be irrelevant to your problem but the update on the Beatles disc didn't harm my homebrew in any way. I did have to disable Preloader's "skip update check" and accept it before the game would boot though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

fishmech posted:

If you just got the Homebrew Channel installed, you shouldn't get anything bricked. I think that only happens when you start having stuff like BootMii and custom IOS's and all that.

Like I said before, I only use regular Homebrew channel stuff, and I updated the HBC before I upgraded top 4.2 and everything's running fine.

As I understand it: The bricking problem isn't related to what you have on your system. It's sloppy code in the update that can potentially brick any system, modified or straight from the factory. All Wiis are at risk of bricking if updated to 4.2.

e: From above:

Chronojam posted:

Yes. Everybody risks killing their Wii by updating to 4.2, and if you send it for repairs and it has detectable homebrew, in this particular case you are probably going to risk your free repair/replace.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 2, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Actually, it is believed that Nintendo themselves have no way to recover a console where it has a corrupt boot2; they just swap the motherboard and send it back. Here's a comment one of the Team Twiizers guys left on Slashdot when someone asked him to cite his proof that this was the case:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1387983&cid=29600683

Does this mean that Nintendo's "we'll check to see if you had homebrew, and if not, we'll fix it for free" claim is just a bluff -- if a bricked Wii is completely unrecoverable, they can't get in its memory to tell if you had homebrew or not?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure the "we won't replace it if you had homebrew" applies to people sending in a wii with other issues besides not being able to boot. You know, DVD drive problems, etc.

Well, I meant specifically for this problem -- they said in the announcement about 4.2 bricks that if they find your Wii to be unmodified, they'll fix it. I'm asking, if a 4.2 bricked Wii is "completely unrecoverable", can they even tell if it was modified prior to bricking?

And with regard to other issues, I'm pretty sure I've heard stories of people with homebrew installed getting their Wiis fixed without incident, either under warranty or for the normal fee as long as they didn't have pirated stuff installed.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ballz posted:

Two issues have me stumped:

1) I just bought The Beatles: Rock Band and it's wanting me to update. But the thing is, I'm already on 4.1 so I fear updating will bring it to the dreaded 4.2. Is anyone aware of a custom IOS update or something to get it working?

No idea about your second question, but the TB:RB disc came out before 4.2; it's not that update. It had zero adverse effects on my homebrew (which is only HBC, Preloader and RawkSD). So I make no guarantees about what it might do to you, but several people here have accepted it without consequence I believe.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ballz posted:

I just want to make sure that whatever update it installs came straight from the disc and it doesn't connect online to download 4.2 as well.

Good point then -- that I have no idea about. I installed the TB:RB update on release day before 4.2 existed.

You could disable your router or the connection settings on the Wii and do it just in case it does work that way.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Desrever posted:

I'm just worried about them popping the card in and finding bootmii.

1) Of course I can't know for sure what goes in there, but I really doubt the repair people are interested in snooping around your SD card. Just put yourself in their place -- why would you bother looking at the contents of some random person's SD card? And that's assuming they manage to extract the SD card without damaging it, rather than going the route of just replacing the disc drive and throwing the old one out with the SD card still stuck in it.

2) Pretty sure people in this thread have said that they've sent Wiis with homebrew in to Nintendo and gotten them fixed without problems. I wouldn't send a modchipped Wii or a Wii with explicitly pirated poo poo, but other than those cases it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Circle Nine posted:

Can I still connect to the shop channel with 4.1 or are you forced to update if you want to use it again? Or will something terrible and unpredictable happen if I even try?

You won't be able to connect to the Shop Channel until you update it, but you don't have to do the official 4.2 updater. You can use WiiSCU and just update the Shop Channel without affecting anything else.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I_Like_Me posted:

I was thinking about updating to 4.2 from 3.2u, my HBC is 1.0.6 so i shouldn't lose it, is there anything else i should be worried about losing?

BootMii if it's installed as boot2.

Speaking of, I got BootMii installed and it does sorta work as boot2, but the thing is like 8 or 9 out of 10 boots, I just get a hung black screen rather than the BootMii menu. If I remove the SD card it boots fine to the System Menu every time but I don't get the BootMii menu. What's that about?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nibbles the Shark posted:

So what's the deal with importing Rock Band songs into RB2? I've been taking a crack at it but it's just getting so damned complicated what with all these cIOSes and crap.

What's the simplest way to transfer songs over with RawkSD?

I take it your trouble is in getting RawkSD installed to the Wii? I had trouble getting it set up on mine, similar to what I think you're describing. I got it basically by trial and error -- I don't know what exactly the key step was but I believe it involved something like "patching the Trucha bug" into a specific IOS. Sorry I didn't save the link or remember more precisely. I know it was some random blog post that had the instructions I needed, and it wasn't written specifically about RawkSD. This was also a few months ago on some 1.x version of RawkSD and I presume you're using the latest 2.whatever, maybe things are different.

If you could post some more details about the current state of your Wii -- what System Menu you're on, what things you've installed or changes you're made in your homebrew setup -- I can try to help or hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people here can tell you what it is you need. Keep at it cause it's absolutely worth the effort to have those extra songs in RB2, really rekindled my interest in the game when I got it working.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah I think I used 1.x so I'm not sure what help I could be except to offer this warning: I don't know if you can gently caress up the "DLC index" or whatever in 2.x, but holy bajesus make sure you're careful installing customs, because I managed to corrupt something and it ended up causing RB2 to panic and wipe out all of my save data - like everything - a week or two ago.

Did the same thing when I was setting it up, don't remember exactly how but I lost my band, my platinum ESL2 guitar/bass icon, had to redownload my ~70 purchased DLC songs. I think RawkSD 2.x actually eliminated that step of prepping the SD card first using the Wii app before you import the songs on the PC, or did something like that to simplify the process. Not sure though since I never upgraded from whatever 1.x version I currently have because I've got all the songs I want imported and it works so I didn't want to rock the boat.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

1) Is a particular USB loader recommended above others?

2) Anyone know the deal with compatibility between RB2, RawkSD and USB loaders? I'm using RawkSD now and I wanted to try out a USB loader; just want to make sure whatever cIOS stuff I have to do to get the USB loader working won't break it or my RB2 DLC -- thought I'd read in the past that installing certain cIOSes would cause RB2 to say your DLC was "out of date". I'm not concerned with the ability to actually run RB2 off a hard drive; my understanding was that this also had some issues with breaking DLC so I'm cool with using a disc for it if that's the case.

e: nm, I went ahead and installed USB Loader GX per these instructions, skipping Steps 2-4 since I already had homebrew set up of course. That seemed to go OK (haven't tested it with an HD yet though) but now RB2 gives me the System Update when I put it in the disc drive. Pretty sure the problem has something to do with the stuff you did to IOS 36 in those steps, since I also remember it was involved in the RawkSD installation. If anybody knows the steps from this point to get RB2 and RawkSD working without breaking USB Loader GX, that's great if you can tell me; I'll be trying to figure it out myself in the meantime.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nibbles the Shark posted:

Argh, holy poo poo this is complicated. To clarify my problem from earlier, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to rip an image of my RB1 disc so that I can then use RawkSD on it. However, I can't figure out how to do that. can't find a reliable guide that doesnt involve a million steps that looks like it might brick my Wii or destroy the Homebrew channel. What's the easiest, neatest way to do that?

What are the methods you're looking at that you're afraid will brick your Wii or destroy the HBC? RawkSD needs an ISO of the RB1 disc. USB Loader GX, which I installed last night without incident from this guide, will rip a disc to a USB hard drive; then you can use something like WBFS Manager to extract the ISO from the USB drive to your computer.

However, you probably shouldn't do that yet because the process of installing USB Loader GX involves modifying a few IOSes that may break RawkSD. I'm hoping that was only needed for the installation of USB Loader GX and now I can safely reinstall RawkSD without breaking USB Loader GX and use both in peace (I'm aware that RB2 needs to be run off the disc for DLC to work, I'm fine with that). I'm hoping someone here can confirm/deny?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Something weird, games stopped working online when loaded through USB Loader GX -- immediately failing upon attempting to connect to their servers, Mario Kart Wii throws "error 50332". Have checked multiple games, have confirmed the Wii's online settings are correct and that online features work properly when booted from disc. Also am certain that I was able to connect online with games booted from USB when I first tried a few days ago.

Only things I remember doing to the Wii since last it worked: routine adding/removing games to the hard drive, and making a few more attempts to get BootMii working as a boot2 -- simply installing and uninstalling it a few times through the most recent HackMii installer, though I don't see how that would cause this problem. Harder to find any info about this than I expected; most everything simply says "yeah, online games work fine through USB Loader GX." Any ideas?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Peao posted:

Newbie here. I don't have a Wii but my friend just bought one and I'll follow suit as soon as I can find one. I have a few questions before we start modding.

1) What the hell do you mean I can't update? What does the thread title mean? Will Nintendo find out at the next firmware update that system settings were modified and brick it? Do I need to disable updates? (can you even do that?)

Nintendo doesn't (intentionally) brick softmodded consoles, but some updates will (attempt to) remove homebrew and patch the holes that allow for its installation. This is pretty futile and a new method of softmodding always appears within a week or so, but it is generally advised, once you've softmodded your console, not to accept an update until its consequences have been determined by the homebrew community.

quote:

2) From what I understand, you need to run a specific app to disable region checks. Does it work in conjunction with the USB Loader? E.g., if I copy european discs to the HDD, will I be able to play them?

Don't do it myself so I don't know if you need to run another app or just flip some setting or if everything is handled automatically, someone else can tell you, but running out-of-region games on a USB loader is not a problem in general.

quote:

3) If I gently caress something up at some point, is there a way to recover/go back to defaults?

If you haven't bricked your console, you should be able to recover from anything in a few different ways. Check out BootMii if you haven't for some additional brick protection.

quote:

4) What is the point of modchips when you can do the softmod described in the OP? Wikipedia lists a ton of them but doesn't explain why anyone would want them.

I think you're basically right -- there isn't really a point to hardmodding anymore.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Well, i've officially lost my patience and I really want to play Tatsunoko versus Capcom, but i'm pretty much clueless on the steps needed to get my Wii prepped for playing games off a harddrive, and i'm not gonna use google and probably get out of date/wrong instructions.

Any help out there to get me set up? I already have homebrew channel installed for clarification.

This was spot-on for me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm having a problem with step 5 of that guide. Nothing seems to work and I don't even have the same kind of options that guide is showing and am basically guessing. Is it because i'm already at 4.2? Help please. :(

I wasn't at 4.2 when I did that but the guide claims to work for 4.2 so I'm not sure. I'm not expert but I'll try to help and there are people here who know a lot more than me. Basically tell us everything about your situation:

1. Confirm that everything prior to that step appeared to succeed.
2. Explain in detail what's the first thing where you don't get what you expect. The "interface" of that dop-IOS thing can be a little confusing as I recall so maybe it's possible you're just not seeing the right options. Any error messages or the options you do have in place of the ones you expect would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I get the option for "Select "Install an IOS that accepts fakesigning" and press A", but then I get "Select which IOS to load:____" and "Press B to continue without IOS Reload"

Hit left/right d-pad on the "Select which IOS to load:", does it scroll through numbers so you can select an IOS?

• Locked thread