Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm thinking I will give up on the Wiibrew stuff.

Me and my family do too much with the other built-in stuff on the Wii.

We tried to load one channel, and it said we couldn't until we got an update from the Shop channel. We couldn't get the update from the Shop channel until we did a system update to download the Shop update.

I wasn't going to tell my daughter "hold on while daddy goes and looks up some hacks or alternative download locations for the channels."
I just updated my Wii's firmware, went to the Shop and downloaded the channel updates, and loaded up the thing my daughter wanted to see.

We spend a ton of time on the Everybody Votes Channel, Check Mii Out Channel, Nintendo Channel, etc.
I think I've used the Homebrew channel once since installing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have the Homebrew Channel version "0.8" installed or something. Will that work with the USB loader?

I installed the Wii Update 4.0 to get SD card access, and now I can't update my Homebew Channel to the 1.x+ versions.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My Wii is running 4.0 with all the latest official updates, including the Shop.
I thought I was hosed when it came to home brew stuff, or even the HD Loader.

I installed the Homebrew Channel a long time ago, version 0.8 or something. It's auto-update failed, and I couldn't copy it from the SD card to Wii or anything.

I checked out that "banner" exploit thing in the OP.

I just copied some file to my SD card (something .dol), popped it my Wii, and it auto ran some install program that updated my Homebrew Channel to 1.0.2, and installed some loader on the SD card where I boot up some new menu when the system starts. That's pretty badass.

I thought Nintendo had finally killed all exploits with the release of 4.0. And this newest exploit is easier than ever, much easier than the Twilight Hack.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm more concerned with breaking my system or losing access to "official" stuff.

I'm still at 4.0 right now. I have stuff like the Homebrew Channel installed. Will I risk killing my Wii by updating to 4.2?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I installed the latest Homebrew Channel and then installed the official 4.2 update.

If you just use the Homebrew channel, then its safe to update everything else through official means. Wii firmware, Shop Channel, etc. I haven't heard of anything blocking the Homebrew Channel yet.

As far as I know, the Homebrew Channel is all that is needed to run "homebrew", and everyone dicking around with old versions of the firmware, installing custom IOS files, unofficial patches, etc are doing it to play games off a hard drive and/or pirate like crazy.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I haven't messed with this in forever, but I'm giving it another go.

Since getting my Wii U, my Wii is now an empty shell. Why? The Wii -> Wii U "transfer" now prevents my ~45 games or so from working on my Wii. :(

I get the "This channel cannot be launched on this Wii console." message with *all* of them.

I want all my virtual console / WiiWare /etc channels to work, and I want to copy my games to a hard drive while I'm at it (I have no intent on downloading any games, I just want the stuff *I* purchased working).

The OP hasn't been updated in forever. Is there a current / simple guide for getting started with this?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Robolizard! posted:

I would note that they still work, you just need to download them on your wii u, in wii mode. To get them back on your wii without a nand backup would require :filez: though, so we can't really talk about it here!

After messing with this and reading more on other sites, I've discovered:

* Games I've purchased (40+) can no longer be downloaded, copied to, or played on my Wii (due to encryption and DRM).
* Games I find on any random torrent site *CAN* be downloaded and played on my Wii.

The whole Nintendo transfer is beyond stupid.
It's like buying a game for your system, but once you play it on a friend's system you can no longer play it on your own system ever again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hogburto posted:

If you're saying that it should just let you have 2 or more copies, that just doesn't make sense. Redundant copies of games on a redundant system incentivizes selling that system or otherwise re-purposing it to reclaim monetary value, which is where any fair-use justifications for piracy I've ever seen fall apart.

That is literally how it works on just about every other platform in existence. Only Nintendo has been doing the rear end-backwards "tie purchases to the hardware" thing.

Systems I can load up with purchases and then sell/give away/etc if I wanted to:

- Any Windows computer
- Any Mac OS X computer
- Any Linux computer
- Playstation 3
- Xbox 360
- iPhone / iPad / iPod touch
- Any Android device
etc, etc.

But my intention is *NOT* to load any of those with games and give them away. I just want to the ability/freedom download & use my purchases how I want to. This has worked fine for years on every non-Nintendo platform.

If my Xbox 360 breaks, I get a new one and re-download my games/apps/etc.
If my iPhone breaks or I get a new one, I just re-download my games/apps/etc.
If I get a second PS3 for another room in my house, I just download my games/apps/etc to it.

Have a Nintendo? The options are one-way system upgrade fuckery, "mail two systems to Nintendo and hope they manually transfers purchases", "learn to soft mod and do a NAND backup" or "just pirate". To me, that doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hogburto posted:

Nintendo not letting you transfer licenses as you see fit isn't anything new. It being allowed to transfer to the Wii U was obviously a purposeful change and so it intuitively seemed like a unidirectional process to me. You can complain about it not being the best licensing system and be correct, but let's not act like it's new and therefore more unfair than anything that went on when there was just the Wii. It's the same "fuckery" as before, but now you can have your games tied to a Wii U, instead.

It's just depressing, sad. It should have been fixed by now.

I started buying games like crazy in 2006. When I found out they were tied to my system, I stopped. I think my purchase history stops in 2008 or 2009 or something. I recently found out Double Dragon II is available (one of my absolute favorite games). I would have bought that game in a heartbeat. I actually just bought a (physical) copy off eBay a few months back because I had an urge to play it again.

I'm upset (again) not because it's something new that I'm just now discovering with the hardware-tied purchases, but the fact that Nintendo came out with a new system, and instead of fixing an inconvenient (or broken) system, they just provide another band-aid fix. They just pushed the problem to another platform.

I stood in line on release day to get a Wii U, brought it home, then discovered things were just as messed up as they were on the Wii. Everything downloaded to SD, everything tied to hardware.

• Locked thread