Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Okay so I used the Twilight Hack to install the Homebrew Channel with no problems. However, I'm not having much luck with the programs that are meant to make the Wii region free. Has anyone had any success running PAL games on a US Wii, especially GC games?

If I activate the region free Starfall patches, PAL Wii games still won't boot directly (just get the usual "disc cannot be read" message). GC games will but all I get is audio and a black screen.

If I use Gecko Region Free, I get a "This is not valid Wii software" error for PAL games (I've tried Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy so far, and I know this copy of TP works because I used it via Freeloader to install the HBC in the first place). If I use GCBooter to run a GC game I get the same black screen deal. This is regardless of whether the Starfall patches are installed or not I've tried installing and removing them several times. The Starfall patch to remove the health/safety screen did work and I've got no way of testing the others.

If I use Menu Loader, it does let me run PAL Wii games but it's kind of a pain starting HBC, choosing Menu Loader, setting the Region Free Discs option and running it every time I want to play (seeing as just using the Freeloader was less effort). I was hoping I'd just be able to boot them directly after patching with Starfall but no such luck. Menu Loader makes no difference to the GC black screen issue. My system software is version 3.2U.

Help?

edit: Japanese GC games do work but I have like, two of those

Xythar fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Upgraded Gecko Region Free to the current version of GeckoOS with all those extra features and tried again.

It did launch PAL Twilight Princess, but it was in 576i (no progressive scan) and didn't quit back to the menu gracefully (froze at black screen). Still, playable at least.

Wasn't able to launch PAL Super Mario Sunshine with any combination of options. Force PAL50 and PAL60 gave me the same black screen as usual, Force NTSC and the Vid Fix or whatever it was called made it crash spectacularly before the game even booted.

:(

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Do these utilities exist? I think they probably don't yet but I figured I'd make sure

1) A working method of directly booting out-of-region Wii games from the channel screen without having to run another program first during that boot cycle (Starfall's patch doesn't work for me and I'm not too thrilled with Preloader yet since removing it basically involves reinstalling the System Menu)

2) A program that will run PAL Gamecube games on an NTSC console and have them display in NTSC, like how Starfall makes NTSC Gamecube games display in PAL (currently I can get them to run but I don't get any video)

3) Failing that, a program that lets me set my console's video mode to PAL but only temporarily until the next reboot (AnyRegion Changer will do it permanently but I don't really want to try that straight off in case it gives me a black screen even on the system menu)

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Ravestory posted:

Is there any way to access the shop yet without updating to 3.4?

Yes:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Shop_and_IOS51_installer

You can update the shop channel using that utility without having to install system menu 3.4 (and you can install IOS51 which the shop channel requires, while patching the fakesigning vulnerability back in if you so desire). I used this recently (tona's single-executable release, to be specific) and I can access the shop fine on firmware 3.2.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Make sure you don't install Starfall's GC region free hack unless you have a PAL (Europe/Oceania) Wii, or your local GC games will not work. Well, if you have installed it you can just uninstall it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

MrFurious posted:

I keep seeing references to IOS249 and that it must be running for some Homebrew apps, but I can't figure out where to get it, or what exactly it is. I realize it's a custom OS, but I can't find any more details than that. Can anyone enlighten me?

Sounds like cIOS

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CIOS_Patchmii_Installer

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Depends on what they've done. Often it's as simple as just deleting the homebrew channel unless they're ballsy enough to make changes to the system menu software. The basic homebrew installation doesn't touch the firmware at all.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Try running it through GeckoOS and see if it still works. I imagine yes, if you update it will update you to System Menu 3.4 and that one sucks.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I don't understand how anyone finds those horrible uncanny valley Poser rendered dolls remotely attractive :gonk:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a method to just install the SD channel without upgrading the system menu, yeah. They did it for the shop channel already.

Important question - is copying to the SD card less crippingly slow now? A while back I tried to copy LostWinds to my SD card and gave up after waiting for like 20 minutes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

fishmech posted:

Are you sure you just don't have a slow card?

Yes, because there's no such thing as an SD card that slow (LostWinds is what, under 30MB?) and it sure as hell doesn't take that long to copy things to and from it from my computer.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

That sounds great I would totally leave it like that.

Also, Wii Music is hilariously tiny.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Removing IOSes is a bad idea. Isn't 36 the one that HBC uses?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Bakkon posted:

Some guy made a mod of the USB Loader for his kid who can't read yet (Wii is for babbys) that displays the box cover art for games. This poo poo is getting so cool.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7ZDNnRzsU
Link: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146738

Sweet, I was hoping we'd get something like this.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does the USB loader also support SD cards? It's not as if the Wii's library warrants anything more than 16GB of space anyway, so it'd be handy to not have a thumb drive sticking out the back of the console.

It supports SD cards but only if you put them in a card reader and connect it to the USB port. Loading from the front SD slot isn't supported. And 16GB isn't that many games, plus you'd need to format the USB stick solely for Wii use.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I think anything with USB ports would support a USB hub, but you may have power issues depending on what you're trying to plug in.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

.TakaM posted:

Yeah it looks like USB hubs work fine.
Just to varify, do I still need to backup everything on my exHDD when I'm only going to use a small partition of it with the USBloader?

It wouldn't hurt to do so as a precaution, but if you've already got your partition set up then the USB Loader shouldn't touch the rest.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Can you even downgrade without cIOS? I haven't really been keeping up.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah I'm using a 320GB MyPassport and it works great. I partitioned off 128GB for the Wii and basically use the rest as a giant USB stick.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Hamelin posted:

I think you'd be better off finding a list of games that aren't. I haven't heard of any that don't work.

Some recent PAL games don't work, neither HotD:OK or MadWorld work for me and Zelda:TP doesn't either. This is on a US Wii, but they work fine in GeckoOS so I dunno why USB Loader has problems. MadWorld PAL is weird though, I had to get a hacked version of GeckoOS just to play it at all, so probably that same issue needs to be ironed out in USB Loader.

If all you've got is US games though on a US Wii it should be fine.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Are you running on a US or PAL Wii?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Might be the modded version of USB Loader that has the problem then (the one that shows more games at once sans the anime). I'll try the original as well.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

oh man, link me to that one, I want to see more than 5 games/screen

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11187

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh. Click the word 'released' in the first post of that thread and it leads here:
http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/94929-usb-loader-1-1s-mod-v1-01-by-sorg.html

The compiled app is attached to that topic.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I'd actually like to know that too. You've got to be careful though when messing with WADs because if you gently caress something up you can effectively brick your system, unless you are able to access recovery mode and boot Zelda from there then use it to run the WAD Manager and uninstall.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

You can just use Preloader to prevent this, can't you?

I also know that there's a way to boot USB Loader games directly from the system menu, and I'd love to know where to find out how to do THAT. Having SSBB on my system menu would be awesome.

I'd think so. I haven't tried Preloader yet, but I have recovery mode enabled with Starfall so I should be able to use that.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Why do you own PAL games for your NTSC Wii :crossarms:

Did Fatal Frame IV come out in the PAL countries or something? Its not coming here in the states :(

I don't know about him but I own PAL games for my US Wii because I live in Australia, and PAL games are kind of what they sell here. I haven't seen Fatal Frame / Project Zero 4 though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

OK I can confirm that the games that weren't working with the modified USB Loader do work with the original. I think the modified one tries to be too clever with how it doesn't change the video mode and that breaks games that only support interlaced PAL (e.g. Zelda, MadWorld, Mario Party 8) since that runs at a different resolution to NTSC, unlike 480p which is standard to both. That doesn't explain why HotD:OK works in the original but not the modified one though, although when you run it through USB Loader the top and bottom of the screen get chopped off so the PAL version is doing something strange to be apparently outputting 576 lines in progressive scan.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Edoraz posted:

Seems Wad Manager and WAD Installer don't like rev10. Am I doing something wrong?

It's not a WAD, it's a DOL file. Run it the same way you'd run any other executable and it will update cIOS for you.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Depends on what you want to do with it. Installing HBC itself is pretty straightforward, you just copy on a Zelda save and put some files on an SD card.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

You're not going to have much risk or trouble then, the only part that involves changing stuff in your Wii's NAND memory at all is the initial installation of HBC, and that's pretty safe. All your emulators and stuff just run off the SD card.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

You can use the same SD card, the Wii and homebrew stuff is stored in separate directories. They won't interfere with each other.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

helium muppet posted:

Is there an informational page (in English) about the USB Loader somewhere? Why doesn't WiiBrew.org have anything? All their information is well organized.

Mainly I'm looking for the modified version of the USB Loader (with game covers) and a way to make it its own channel.

I would imagine there's no page on WiiBrew because Waninkoko (the person who made USB Loader) and Team Twiizers (the people who run WiiBrew) are not exactly on good terms. That, and I don't think WiiBrew carries any utilities that have the potential for piracy or whatever. There's a whole lot of drama surrounding it.

The current official version (1.4) has support for game covers as well, use that. I'd just wait a little bit for releases to settle down before adding a channel for it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

helium muppet posted:

Thanks. Also, is there an icon.png for USB Loader for use in the HBC somewhere?

I used the one from Sorg's modded version that's been linked to a couple of times so far.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I just meant the PNG, not the software itself. I don't have much reason to use Sorg's mod anymore now that 1.4 is out since 1.4 has game covers and also replaces anime with a larger visible list size, and doesn't break every interlaced PAL game. Although he should fix the sorting.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I assume cIOS uses that copy of the old IOS36 to run for compatibility with updated Wiis, where the security hole in IOS36 that previously let you install unsigned WADs was fixed (so it can't just use the system's local IOS36). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Ryouga Inverse posted:

The cIOS is just a patch of IOS36. So, since it needs a copy of IOS36 to patch, and they can't distribute it (because it's copyrighted), you need to supply it somewhere.

If your local system's IOS36 doesn't have the fakesigning bug and you have no other cIOS that does, you're screwed. The IOS has to be validated by the system and installed for it to actually work.

Yeah, but then why do you need to supply it on the SD card when they can just download it?

Captain Sharpie posted:

Something completely unrelated: is there any kind of hack to let you play Gamecube games with the classic controller? Does compiling them into Wii ISOs get round this? I've just moved to a larger place and found that the wire on the Gamecube controller does not stretch from the Wii to the sofa.

You can't buy a Wavebird, or one of those white GC controllers with the extended cable?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

By "download it" I mean download it from Nintendo's update server and patch it there and then. Which is an option cIOS Installer already has. Have you used it before?

Basically I don't see why cIOS Installer would outright refuse to run without a copy of IOS36 on your SD card, black screen and all, unless it was hardwired to use that IOS to boot. I don't even know if that's possible though, so maybe it's just a glitch or weird programming.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I'm talking about a previously described problem where the installer gave a black screen unless the wad file was put onto the SD card.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

BlueArmyMan posted:

I'm thinking I want to add the Homebrew Channel to my Wii, but I notice there are only Twilight Hacks for what looks like System Versions 3.2 and 3.4. Mine is 4.0. Can one of the existing Twilight Hacks work, or do I have to downgrade somehow to put this stuff on, then re-update back to 4.0? Is that even possible?

If you didn't install before upgrading to 4.0 then you're SOL for now. I would imagine they'll come up with another hack eventually but at the moment there is no way to install HBC on 4.0.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Ballz posted:

There's a little bit of an update about bootmii on hackmii.com. Sounds like marcan's too bummed out over the success of the USB Loader, but bootmii is still being worked on.

Possible public beta "within the next couple of weeks."

As tempted as I am to upgrade my Wii to 4.0, I'm hoping I can wait until Bootmii is installed, as theoretically, once it's on, there's nothing Nintendo can do permanently shut down HBC.

Argh, scene drama. marcan has done so much awesome work that I don't know why he has to take so much issue with stuff like that. Every time stuff like this happens between volunteer fan groups (fan translations, homebrew, etc) I'm torn between respecting them for their work or deriding them for being such drama queens about it. It's not like USB Loader doesn't have non-piracy uses, it's incredibly useful for just running your own games from the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Phenotype posted:

This is a little off-topic, but did I just gently caress up somehow? I needed some free HD space anyway, so I just bought this guy from Pricewatch. Is this a poo poo HD for some reason I'm not aware of? I'm concerned because I see everyone buying smaller hard drives at the same price. Is mine too slow to work with homebrew?

It's not too slow, but it may or may not work for other reasons. There was a compatibility list somewhere, it might have been posted here a little earlier.

I would imagine most people are buying smaller hard drives because 750GB is overkill for the Wii (I'm using a 128gb partition on my 320GB MyPassport, and even with my 20-something games ripped to it I'm only using just over half the space) and it's just more convenient to have a small USB powered HDD that you can set and forget instead of a big clunker that you need to find an extra outlet for. That was my line of reasoning, anyway.

• Locked thread