Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zom Aur posted:

Nah, it's just paranoia that nintendo might ship an update that will install itself automatically and remove the possibility for homebrew.

It's not really paranoia when they added the silent autoupdate to 3.4 and have been doing stuff to break homebrew with every patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It didn't even tell me there was an update. I think I'm running 3.3, I forget.

I don't mean to sound as paranoid as I do, I really REALLY doubt Nintendo is just gonna shove out an update that breaks the poo poo out of Homebrew for a few days. Just considering the possibility.

Hell, I actually prefer SNES games on an emulator on the Wii now, I think. Had a buddy over, we got out Mystical Ninja and put it in my SNES, before I realized we wouldn't have to screw with cords if we emulated it and sat across the room with classics (including an AWESOME Club Nintendo Super Famicom classic I paid too much for on eBay).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I'm boned insofar as getting the USB loader running if I upgraded to 4.0 normally and haven't intentionally installed any cIOSs, right? Oh well.

I'm sure there'll be another way to do it sometime soon, I can't really afford a hard drive to stick on the Wii right now anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love how that downgrade helping program accuses people of being pirates if they have hacked WADs. That's such a great way to mess with idiots.

I think I'm just going to wait on a cIOS install or other workaround for the USB Loader for 4.0.

Edit: Actually, could I skip all the firmware downgrading/upgrading bullshit if I just did that workaround to where you install cIOSrev9? That doesn't seem too involved, all I want is the USB Loader.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 9, 2009

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Edoraz posted:

That's what I did. v:v:v

Works just fine for me.

Yeah, I just got done with it, worked fine. Now all I need is a drive that'll work with the stupid loader.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Either I'm nuts or running the ISO Downgrader screws network connection speed up. Normally I get pretty quick speeds for FTPii and the Homebrew Browser, but after the downgrade it sucks and isn't stable. I ran a system update and now eveything's back to normal and USB Loader still works (with a -6 error, but that's hardly new :v: ).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rirse posted:

Dunno if I need to take this to the Brawl thread, but how do I get Cheats Manager to get the Moveswap codes to work. I tried replacing the hex with one of the entries from the master list and saved, but nothing happened when I started the game.

Yet the cheat program is working, as 99 lives was on.

I used the PC application to make the codelists when I was tinkering around with those codes. I thought it was a waste of time since the game hung if you tried anything interesting besides normal A attacks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, all I wound up doing was doing the IOS35 hack with DVDx that was posted earlier, then did an IOS downgrade that killed my performance, then did an normal update and everything works.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I guess the WiiSX emulator project is dead for the moment? I've gotten the itch to play Chrono Cross again but I'm ready to cry thinking about the load times.

I guess I could just download an emulator, but I like the idea of having it on a TV. If I manage to find a build of it (I'm sure some torrent site or GBATemp has it), is it worth messing with?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OpaqueEcho posted:

What's going on at the end of the video for USB Loader GX?

Hideous custom menu. It's one of the things you can hack, but seems like nobody that makes them has any eye for design. They're all a loving mess like that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So what's the goon-approved way to update to use the shop channel? Seems like there's a few options. I'd like to get the LostWinds sequel tonight.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

FlyingCheese posted:

It does run slightly warm, but unless you have one of a small number of release day wii's, it shouldn't be a problem.

And yeah, Nintendo can't/won't force an update through WiiConnect24.

I have one of those release week Wiis. It works fine unless I try to run it at 480p. I was way out of warranty when it finally damaged itself, though. You'd think I'd have learned my drat lesson about first gen Nintendo hardware when my launch day GameCube got that laser issue that was apparently common.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

zandert33 posted:

I used Waninkoko's 4.2 updater the other day, and it went perfectly, and nothing got broken. Not sure if that's the "best" method, but it worked for me.

This sorted me out. Worked like a charm, even if it did take like 20 mins.

Ballz posted:

I was about to update to 4.2 using Waninkoko's installer, but at the very beginning it asks what IOS to update. Do I just go with the default?

I used 249.

It's asking what one to use to install. You need either a cIOS like 249 or a fakesigned IOS of another stripe. I think if you have HBC, you have a usable IOS 60 to select. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 20, 2009

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, if Nintendo was going to go that route, they would have already in their ham-handedness. There were supposed to be bans for hacking in Mario Kart, though. Not sure what the details were about that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, since I solved the problem that I posted about earlier, I have another question. I know there are ways to make forwarder channels for things from USB loader, but I'd just like to have a channel for my netflix disc. I know the whole thing is pretty tiny and I could probably put it on my SD card. There an easy way to do this?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 14, 2010

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

glod posted:

So my Wii won't read dual-layer Wii games for whatever reason, and I'm thinking of sending it in to Nintendo to get it fixed. What things, if anything, will I need to get rid of before I send it in? I would assume they wouldn't be too happy if there was a bunch of homebrew stuff on it.

Go get the offical lens cleaner. Not being able to read dual layer discs due to junk on the lens is a pretty common problem if you smoke or otherwise have a dusty area around the Wii. Mine wasn't reading brawl or metroid prime and that sorted me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just be advised that it will bitch at you if it's not installed to boot2 when you try to restore. It's somewhat riskier if BootMii is installed as an IOS, since powerloss means the NAND flash corrupts and you have no way out of that. If it's a boot partition, then it's no worries since you can still boot into BootMii and do it over.

I wound up using this tutorial to update my IOSes and the shop so I could download the transfer app. Worked like a charm.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 20, 2012

• Locked thread