Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Errrgh, trying to set up Mplayer CE to connect to a SMB share on my network, and when I try to access it the thing just locks up - goes totally unresponsive, to the point I have to get up and power cycle the Wii. :(

My config:

#Samba share1 (smb1:/)
ip1=192.168.1.110
share1=video
user1=[my username]
pass1=[my pass]

That SMB share is sitting on an XP machine, and can be reached by both the Windows and Linux boxes in my house as \\192.168.1.110\video. The Wii is static IP'd and all is set up properly there, and it can get out to the internet... Using system software 3.3U, Mplayer CE 0.3a.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue in the media server - the hard drive holding all my video has a weird delay - usually of 3-5 seconds followed by a healthy click - if it goes unaccessed for periods of time. I thought it was dying, but it's done this for well over a year. Weird hard drive. :confused: But I wonder if it's hitting the server, the drive's snoozing, and Mplayer is freaking out? The Windows and Linux boxes just wait, then show the folder contents.

I wish there was a telnet/ping tool for the Wii, maybe inside one of the Linux distros for it?

e. Well holy crap, now it works. I almost guarantee it was the hdd thing, because I copied some files off that drive to the SD to test SD playback [which is perfect]. The share loaded instantly this time.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'll give that a shot too.

I was really, really surprised to see I'm still on 3.3u, even though I've used DLC with Rock Band 2 [well, the free stuff, haven't purchased anything yet]. I figured that would've forced 3.4 [and I thought I remember it doing so]. I've received the notification about updating, but I haven't installed it yet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh right, duh. :sweatdrop:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Liku posted:

Not to nag, but I've tried everything and I still can't get this to work.

Oh, and Nintendo is starting to ban Wiis that have been found to be using codes online in Mario Kart Wii. This should be posted in the OP, it seems as long as you're not taking codes and poo poo online you're in the clear for using Homebrew.

My what a lovely forum.

Well, hopefully this doesn't branch into "if you play anything at all online, codes or no, they scan and ban". I don't think I've played anything over WFC except one game of mario kart months ago, but I do plan on using RB2 DLC a lot.

e. and honestly I'm sure the ticket will get hidden better in the next month or so, knowing the community

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Keito posted:

I won't add the Mario Kart stuff to the OP because it's not related to homebrew. Online cheaters are retarded and deserve to be banned.

I totally agree.

Also, is there anyway to just remove all the daily play logs which contain references to the HBC?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

A Violence Gang posted:

Wii Menu 4.0 out today, with SDHC support and the "SD Menu". Updated, and my Homebrew Channel and the handful of apps I had on my SD card all still work so far.

Awesome. Lots of props to you guys willing to take the plunge.

Not that I want to let go of my precious 3.3U quite yet. I don't watch DVDs on the Wii, but still.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

.TakaM posted:

Your friend's a human being and doesn't deserve the HBC.

It's his brother, but yeah, I hate to tell you this but he's part of the problem.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Astro7x posted:

How do I know if I have the latest version of HBC before I upgrade my Wii Menu?

It should prompt you to update if there's one available, right? It did this every time I'd start up until I just updated.

It might require an active internet connection to do the check, though. I'm not sure if it checks once then sets some notification flag to keep reminding you whether you're connected or not.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, it's been awhile since it's done an update, just wanted to make sure.

In the upper right corner I have a "1.0.1" and an "IOS36 v4.18" which I have no idea what that means.

Well 1.0.1 is the newest as far as I know...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeeeeaaaaah I'm going to hold off on updating. I'm glad I don't have any little brothers or anyone in the house but me and the wife, and she knows all about why updating is a bad thing. :D

Looking forward to what's coming up from the scene as far as menu hacking goes. I've not touched anything beyond Twilight + HBC + DVDX so far, but if this is good, I might take the plunge.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

Bootmii is basically what we're all waiting for. It's going to allow us complete control of our Wii's, everything from menu hacking to region free to system update prevention and modification. It's all possible because it'll run even before the system menu does in the boot2 section of the Wii.

Yeah that's going to be amazing. Hopefully it remains totally invisible to Nintendo, and hopefully it doesn't cause issue with things like DLC. Maybe if there's some way to boot with it disabled, I really need to go read up on it.

e. Reading that wiki page has me grinning like an idiot. So basically there's nothing Nintendo can do about disabling the Wii, since the hack resides in the first writable part of memory? :laugh: God I'm glad I bought a Wii.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

Not entirely though, since boot2 is writable, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from overwriting bootmii. The key is to get it installed first before they do that and then make it read-only.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant - having BootMii be able to lock and unlock boot2 or provide some way of catching attempted writes to it and stopping them [which I guess is the definition of read-only...].

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, I got that vibe too.

Honestly I'll be happy to be able to play backups of the stuff I own, I'm really bad with discs, I wreck them like no other. I wish there was a way to hard drive mod the thing, but I'm guessing SD launching isn't too far away [or is speed a concern? I've got no idea what the hardware limits would be] which would be absolutely amazing. Goodbye load times, goodbye wear and tear on the laser [which may not even be an issue with the Wii DVD drive, I've just got the PS2 mindset], and it'll be awesome to have my entire game library nice and portable on a tiny little card.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That sounds freaking awesome. I'm assuming it will allow running images outside of the console's region, like PS2 hdd modding?

e. and since I notice it requires a custom IOS to be installed, is it possible to remove custom IOSs after installing them? Just wondering. I've stayed away from it so far, mostly out of paranoia about Nintendo scanning for things, but this is the first thing released that might make me change my mind.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 1, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's amazing, I can't wait to try that. Goodbye, annoying load times in Smash Bros!

What I'm wondering is if launching, say, Rock Band through this would mess with DLC or anything. That's always my whine about hacking it though, "will it mess with the precious DLC that I hardly ever use because I'm broke?" :D

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Liku posted:

With the USB loader, I'll have to format the drive I'm using? Because I want to use my 500GB External HD, but I also use it for computer back-up and I really don't want to format it.

Yep. Just like a PS2 HDD, it requires a special filesystem.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Errrrrgh :argh:

So I went to install the usb loader tonight. My Wii is a 3.3U with DVDX installed HBC, and that's it. I ran the cios36_rev9-Installer.dol in network install mode and it failed, so I got the wad (IOS36-64-v1042.wad, 1.68MB), dropped it in the root of the SD card and ran the installer again.

It all seems to go fine until the end, when I get an error saying that it couldn't install the ticket with error code -2011. :(

Anyone see this?

e. Just tried a network install and that time it worked, but threw the same -2011 error at the end. :(

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 3, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The first step of his guide, for 3.3 firmware is failing - the Wad manager is crashing with a failed to read device error (-1). :smith:

Argh, I give up for tonight, I'll take another crack at it tomorrow.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Luisfe posted:

Yes but you need to have installed IOS249 before.

So because I'm a pretty dumb guy [well actually, loving terrified of bricking my wii, though I know I really shouldn't be]: THIS is what I need to get IOS249, right?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CIOS_Patchmii_Installer

Then my dumb gay 3.3U Wii should behave?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xythar posted:

Also, Wii Music is hilariously tiny.

I noticed that too. That's just unbelievably small!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
OH MY GOD I GOT IT TO WORK

And the problem appeared to be that I was storing things in /wads and not /wad and that retarded wad manager is hardcoded to use /wad and throws a -1 error if stuff isn't there. A few IOS wad installs later [and several profanities and tossing the wiimote into the couch] and it works. :D

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FlyingCheese posted:

There's quite a lot of hardcoded directories in most homebrew programs. It's just pure laziness really.

Ugh, I know - as a dev this pisses me off to no end, plus there's no indication of "make sure your wads are in the sd:/wad/ folder!" in the app, or a way to just loving browse around the thing. :argh:

Also, I was getting -2011 during install. Do you have IOS16 installed still [which IOS did you remove?] see if you can run one of the Wad managers, and put the IOS16, cios_fix, and IOS36 back in, maybe? I dunno what the 3150 means...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Okay, so now I decided to fire it up today and I'm getting a "failed to init usb subsystem (ret -1)" error. :argh: I didn't do anything except play Rock Band 2 after using the HDD last night, what the hell? Reinstalling IOS16, 36 and cios_fix didn't fix it either.

e. I blanked the drive [wbfs_win [drive letter] init] and tried and now I'm getting "Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -6)" :arghfist::(

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 5, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Luisfe posted:

Yup. You need a previous installation of CIOS249, and maybe 16 and 36.

Seconding this, this is exactly what I had to do on 3.3 w/out previous cios installs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well this is lovely - I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling my IOSs, so I removed 16, 36, 38 and 249 and rebooted the wii, and now HBC just kicks me back to the dashboard when I try to launch it and my RB2 disc in the drive says it wants to update the Wii! :argh:

I'm guessing I need to rent twilight princess again tomorrow.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So okay, if I put in a disc that updates to just 3.3U, will the Wii only update to the update on disc or will it reach out to the internet and install 4.0? I think maybe ripping out those IOSs just confused my Wii or something since RB2 never required an update until now. And when I click on the disc channel it's not telling me what version it wants to go up to...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xythar posted:

Removing IOSes is a bad idea. Isn't 36 the one that HBC uses?

I think it is. :doh:

Yeah, I'll just re-twilight my console. The system menu says 3.3U still, and I'll just not touch anything until I can fix it again. Errghhh, that was dumb. I'm guessing it wants to update for RB2 because.. uhh.. well, that I'm not sure of.

Still wondering why the hell I'm getting -6 errors with the USB loader though, the drive is fine [I even tried reformatting NTFS then re-init-ing it as WBFS]. I tried reinstalling the IOSs in order, downloading new ones and installing those, but still nada.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well my understanding is this: IOSs work somewhat like device drivers. IOS38 if I recall is the USB driver, right? I thought I grabbed IOS38 because it enabled USB2 support... anyway, IOS36 is the one featuring the exploit enabling the homebrew channel, which is why it gets patched/downgraded when you install the Twilight Princess hack. You enable the bug in IOS36, which then allows a way to install things like IOS16 to permit WAD installs [it's the signing bug, right?]

IOS249 is one which sits outside of the regular Nintendo IOS code, and enables all kinds of other fun stuff. And as far as I know it's the only one that's "safe" to fully uninstall. God knows 36 isn't. :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That sounds pretty good to me, yeah. Pretty much most of the hacks are just forcing the old version of IOS36 while updating the rest, to permit access to things like the shop, USB2 support, etc., right?

For those into networking, are Wii IOSs like Cisco IOSs? When I updated the IOS on my Catalyst it seemed like kind of the same thing, just dropping in new system files and rebooting the thing so it'd have access to them... and deleting random files [which I'm not even sure you can do on the Cisco] would've rendered it inoperable, I'm sure.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

helium muppet posted:

I have 3.2U. Is this all I need to do? Also, is there a way to install this to the main wii menu so I don't have to open the HBC channel, then launch the USB loader?

The tool I use to load ripped isos on my PC, wbfs_win, can supposedly dump out a bunch of HBC links to USB-loaded games, but I've never tried it, that's... sorta close?

But I do think there's a tool out there somewhere to generate WAD channels for games, I could've sworn I saw something on gbatemp about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
WOOOO back in business!

So all I had to do to undo deleting IOS36 and 249 was use Twilight to boot the WAD manager then install IOS36 and IOS16 [in that order, dunno if it mattered]. Then, when I rebooted, HBC was gone [?] so I had to reinstall THAT using another Twilight boot. Looks good so far though!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lowclock posted:

Starfall is unnecessary, and AFAIK, the only thing that required 3.2. Instead, you can download Preloader .29 and use the info from this page to add all the functions that Starfall had while having all the 4.0 system menu stuff.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 4.0 WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT THIS OR YOU WILL BREAK poo poo!

That's loving awesome. So I get the shop and all the good stuff, without any homebrew crippling aspects? Amazing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Word of warning: I found out what was wrong with my otherwise working USB loader. It was the stupid USB->SATA enclosure. :argh: I googled around for a while and someone was discussing somewhere that not all of them are able to start the drive properly, resulting in "unable to load USB subsystem (ret = -1)" errors.

I hooked the drive, a 150 gig WD SATA drive, up to a simple USB->SATA/IDE adapter [an Apricorn DriveWire from Fry's, $25 and so handy] and it works flawlessly.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bakkon posted:

Some guy made a mod of the USB Loader for his kid who can't read yet (Wii is for babbys) that displays the box cover art for games. This poo poo is getting so cool.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7ZDNnRzsU
Link: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=146738

awwww :3:

But seriously, that's neat.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

.TakaM posted:

Yah it seems 4.0 is the problem, nintendo blocked wad installers or something, looks like I need to downgrade.

That, or again, knowing the community, a patch will be out soon enough. Then again, I'm really, really impatient when it comes to these things, so I'd probably end up trying a downgrade. :D

Can 4.0 be downgraded safely?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I am genuinely surprised that there aren't more game exploits than the Twilight one. Maybe just because up till now we didn't need another one?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So no news of Wii MAME lately, huh?

Having a hard drive would be very, very cool with MAME, though I'm sure the entire set of anything the Wii could emulate would easily fit on a big SD card.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xiu Xiu posted:

is it possible to play tatsunoko vs capcom via hard drive on a north american wii?

I have done it, and it is totally flawless.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, it seems touchy about enclosures.

I have a perfectly good Acomdata IDE/SATA to USB2 enclosure that won't work with the Wii, but works flawlessly in Windows/Linux.

I'd say a Passport is the best option right now, and I'm trying to scrape together the cash to get one ASAP. Now I just have a bare hdd sitting on my entertainment center with a USB adapter hanging off the back, and it looks retarded [plus I'm just waiting for something to hit it / knock the adapter out and fry the thing]

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bakkon posted:

Good lord, this poo poo is getting amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULivWtaXIaw

Oh my god that's amazing

• Locked thread