Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«311 »
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But pink is a bold, manly colour! These people must be completely lacking in elan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

McNally posted:

Edit: The lock screw escutcheons are for a Fourth Model, which I don't think Enfield started making until 1861 anyway.
I completely love the insane level of detailed knowledge that exists in TFR.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

Black over a base layer of pink actually

There was the one dude who called it “fruity” in TYOL 2020 and a few dudes saying they’d be too ashamed to admit they owned a gun with pink paint on it.

I would’ve gladly stripped it and/or dropped the price if anybody had actually asked rather than gotten shook at the color pink.

Correct them by referring to the color as “Tactical Salmon” and raise the price ten percent.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I pointed out that the SAS painted their equipment hot pink in the African theater

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

I pointed out that the SAS painted their equipment hot pink in the African theater

For real?

Because that’s loving awesome.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

For real?

Because that’s loving awesome.

It wasn't quite hot pink.

There were also spitfires, especially the photo-recon models:

Edit: The idea was that it would blend in with the sky at sunset and sunrise, and for the planes with clouds in general.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 27, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

It wasn't quite hot pink.

There were also spitfires, especially the photo-recon models:

Edit: The idea was that it would blend in with the sky at sunset and sunrise, and for the planes with clouds in general.

Now I'm very curious if my great grandfather rode in one of those. He was an RAF Intelligence photographer guy.

That's all cool as hell.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

Now I'm very curious if my great grandfather rode in one of those. He was an RAF Intelligence photographer guy.

That's all cool as hell.

Was he one of the pilots, or was he doing the analysis of the photos?

Edit: Apparently the Mosquito was a lot more commonly used.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 27, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Was he one of the pilots, or was he doing the analysis of the photos?

Family lore says he flew in a two seater spitfire taking pictures. I have a lot of the "SECRET" Crown marked pictures he took. Apparently, the Spitfire he was in didn't have weapons in lieu of camera equipment. But I'm pretty damned sure he wasn't a war pilot.

Everything I know about his service is pieced together from his war pictures and family stories. One of these days I'll post everything I have in a thread and get better information.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

Family lore says he flew in a two seater spitfire taking pictures. I have a lot of the "SECRET" Crown marked pictures he took. Apparently, the Spitfire he was in didn't have weapons in lieu of camera equipment. But I'm pretty damned sure he wasn't a war pilot.

Everything I know about his service is pieced together from his war pictures and family stories. One of these days I'll post everything I have in a thread and get better information.

If you can prove your relation to him, I have a couple contacts in the UK that know all the right channels to request service records/documentation.

almost all of the WWII stuff is semi public. basically have to be able to prove relation to whoever you're looking for and you can request records

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I'm not sure if two-seater spitfires were ever a thing, but the Mosquitos were definitely a two seat plane, so I wonder if that;s actually the plane he was in and the family lore got muddled by the more famous plane.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

shalafi4 posted:

If you can prove your relation to him, I have a couple contacts in the UK that know all the right channels to request service records/documentation.

almost all of the WWII stuff is semi public. basically have to be able to prove relation to whoever you're looking for and you can request records

Man, I'd be so down for that at some point. When I looked into it, the archives still required you to show up in person.

One of my "2020 To Do" Lists is to make a thread in TFR with all his cool documents in it. He had a lot of "SECRET" marked stuff, including reports. The coolest one got stolen. It honest to God talked about UFO/Flak Phenomenon and broke it down into four categories. But I still have plenty of stuff talking about the GyroJet targeting system in the Spitfire, including pictures of Great Grandpa working on it.

What is considered to prove relation?

Beardless posted:

I'm not sure if two-seater spitfires were ever a thing, but the Mosquitos were definitely a two seat plane, so I wonder if that;s actually the plane he was in and the family lore got muddled by the more famous plane.

It's certainly possible. Like I mentioned in the above post, he worked on a targeting system in the Spitfire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I forgot, I had some of his personal war pictures right on my desk -

Far Left - Him modeling GyroJet Spitfire stuff

Middle - Him pretending to be Errol Flynn

Far Right - Him next to a shot down German plane. He was Day Day +6, so I don't think he saw combat outside of his plane runs. I know a lot of his buddies got shot to hell in planes.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

Man, I'd be so down for that at some point. When I looked into it, the archives still required you to show up in person.

One of my "2020 To Do" Lists is to make a thread in TFR with all his cool documents in it. He had a lot of "SECRET" marked stuff, including reports. The coolest one got stolen. It honest to God talked about UFO/Flak Phenomenon and broke it down into four categories. But I still have plenty of stuff talking about the GyroJet targeting system in the Spitfire, including pictures of Great Grandpa working on it.

What is considered to prove relation?

It's certainly possible. Like I mentioned in the above post, he worked on a targeting system in the Spitfire.

Remind me when you're looking to get the thread together. I'll go and prod my contact and see if he has the time to help out. (given there's a whole plague going on atm)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

shalafi4 posted:

Remind me when you're looking to get the thread together. I'll go and prod my contact and see if he has the time to help out. (given there's a whole plague going on atm)

I got ya and appreciate it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was working at a local shop, we had to OC in store. For your own mental picture, I look like Taliban Shrek- big rear end dude, long beard, goofy as hell looking.

I had a Fluorescent pink and dark purple kydex set made by our shop kydex guy for my Jericho 941, with matching mag carrier. Nearly every time I helped a couple, the woman would laugh, comment, and find it awesome, and the dude would take a personal affront that I am rocking a pink holster.
"Why are you wearing that!?"
"Why pink- you're a dude!"
"People are going to think you are gay!"
"How can you wear a pink holster!?"
Were all pretty normal questions to be asked. I found it funny as hell that these dude would get butthurt over my holster. Whenever it happened, if I could bring it up naturally, I'd mention my "Hello Kitty Tattoo" (I have a tattoo of Kalashnikitty, had it for about a decade now), and show it.
That would normally shut up the dude, and make his wife/he happy. Also pushed a few people over the edge into buying.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

If someone is getting butthurt over your choice of color of holster, they've got bigger problems. Props on the kalashnikitty tat.

When I was in Iraq I took a couple of passes to Qatar (wooo 3 beers a night woooo!). First time there, a whole flock of marines are walking around in pink Army shirts. Good dudes having fun, I bought hookahs for a few, gave them my beer tickets (I prefer weed). They thought it was funny equating the army as gay because we always called them dumb. Fair enough, loving jarheads.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Xpost from deals.

Gunbroker auction ends in about 80 minutes, nice looking 357 lever gun. $786 no reserve currently. It's an Uberti 1873 imported by Stoeger (who no longer import em) but basically the exact same as the one Taylor's sells new for $1281. I would buy it but I haven't yet found a FFL who will do long gun transfers for me as a nonresident.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861949364

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Anybody interested in a true civilian antique chemical etched engraved Walker Revolver bonafide display revolver from London?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

I'd buy that for a dollar.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Just had a dude place a winning bid on the Glock 23 I was selling; it came with two extra (threaded) barrels, three mags, and night sights for $525, shipping included. I sent him payment info, and he came back with, "do you think you could do $375 on this package?"

I said I could do $375 shipped if I can keep the extra barrels and one of the three mags. He said, "gently caress you, no deal."

So... I guess I'll re-list it.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

You got farted on by the Gunborker Fairy. What are their reporting policies like these days? That kind of douchery should definitely get broadcast, since there's basically a zero percent chance that's the first time the idiot has done that to a seller.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Just had a dude place a winning bid on the Glock 23 I was selling; it came with two extra (threaded) barrels, three mags, and night sights for $525, shipping included. I sent him payment info, and he came back with, "do you think you could do $375 on this package?"

I said I could do $375 shipped if I can keep the extra barrels and one of the three mags. He said, "gently caress you, no deal."

I've had that happen on Ebay more than once. Ebay is unbelievably toothless when people cost their sellers money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

File a non paying buyer claim with GB otherwise they’re going to charge you their fee on that “sale”

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Just bought a Steyr GB barrel for $300 because for some dumbass reason I thought if I made an offer I would have the opportunity to decline if they accepted. I didn't have a chance to pick up the gun today so I don't even know if it's a better one than the one my gun has as I suspect.

I am a genius

The only way to make up for this is to get it threaded for a suppressor I guess...somehow.

edit: Upon further review this barrel might actually be kind of rare and maybe worth more than I paid? This thing has six gas ports and every other picture or video of a GB barrel I can find has two. The rifling might also be conventional vs the normal polygonal rifling? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865912494

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 21, 2020

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

my kinda ape posted:

Just bought a Steyr GB barrel for $300 because for some dumbass reason I thought if I made an offer I would have the opportunity to decline if they accepted. I didn't have a chance to pick up the gun today so I don't even know if it's a better one than the one my gun has as I suspect.

I am a genius

The only way to make up for this is to get it threaded for a suppressor I guess...somehow.

edit: Upon further review this barrel might actually be kind of rare and maybe worth more than I paid? This thing has six gas ports and every other picture or video of a GB barrel I can find has two. The rifling might also be conventional vs the normal polygonal rifling? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865912494

Is it an aftermarket or OEM barrel?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Ceros_X posted:

Is it an aftermarket or OEM barrel?

I've pieced together from Steyrclub forum posts by a nice German man that it's an OEM barrel with conventional rifling and six gas ports that's intended for firing cast lead bullets, which is apparently a no-no in polygonal rifled barrels. He said a "lead only" barrel so I'm going to try and ask him about it to clarify.

Basically an upgrade part from Steyr. Unfortunately there's not much info about these guns online and even less about obscure options hardly anyone bought.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

infrared35 posted:

I had no idea people did that, how unbelievably lovely. You knew what you were bidding! That's the price, right there!!

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

The great part is when the other bidders find it reposted some will assume it was returned because it was broken or something and you'll end up selling it for way less.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Quickshanks posted:

The great part is when the other bidders find it reposted some will assume it was returned because it was broken or something and you'll end up selling it for way less.

Or that you had a shill bidder bidding it up. Important to add some explanation text I think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ve seen plenty of relished suctions that complain about a non paying bidder right in it. It’s a known issue if you poke around GB at all.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Never used GB before and I have a few questions:

1. can anyone make an account and bid on stuff?
2. what is the deal with super high prices on there? There is 1 rifle I really like, it is rare, but nothing mind blowing, and the guy is asking 3x what it was new probably 5 years ago. I've been watching it and it has been for sale for at least 6 weeks now. Once the listing times out it goes up for the same price, which is way more than I would spend. I've thought about emailing the seller to see if they would meet in the middle but not sure how this would work.
3. the guy looks like he has a small gun shop (in his basement according to online review) but then this is shown in the listing

THIS GUN IS FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION SO BE SURE YOUR TRANSFER DEALER WILL EXCEPT A GUN FROM IN INDIVIDUAL WITH I.D.. I CAN TRANSFER THROUGH AN FFL DEALER FOR A FEE OF $30.00 WHICH IS HIS CHARGE FOR THE SERVICE.

Is that a red flag at all?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

1) yep. Anyone can bid although some sellers have rules about zero rating bidders. Not that that’s really ever enforceable.

2) what is the gun? Some stuff does go up in price over the years. On the other hand some people list stuff really high just to see if an idiot bites. There’s no listing fee (just a fee on the final auction price) so no mechanism to discourage people from just relisting non stop.

It’s helpful to search competed auctions to see what the gun you’re looking for has actually sold for in the past.

3). No. Some FFLs get lovely about not accepting guns from individuals (which is legal in most states). If he needs to transfer through an FFL on his end he’ll be charged a fee and he’s just being up front that if you make him do that he’s passing the cost on to you. This is normal.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

Those are people appeasing their spouses by just listing the gun. "SEE HONEY, IT'S FOR SALE BUT NO ONE IS BUYING!!" people.

Or they just want to show it off.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

2) what is the gun? Some stuff does go up in price over the years. On the other hand some people list stuff really high just to see if an idiot bites. There’s no listing fee (just a fee on the final auction price) so no mechanism to discourage people from just relisting non stop.

Thanks for info. Here is the gun I am interested in https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859437060

I know it is rare, but these sold for $550 new, so $1500 is pretty ridiculous if you ask me (unless there is something I don't know). I tried looking up a value online but I couldn't find this particular model.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Welcome to gunbroker. If there are 20 similar models of a gun on the site at any given time only a couple will be either reasonably priced or $1 no reserve auctions. You have to filter out a lot of overpriced stuff which you can do with a price filter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Radiohead71 posted:

Thanks for info. Here is the gun I am interested in https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859437060

I know it is rare, but these sold for $550 new, so $1500 is pretty ridiculous if you ask me (unless there is something I don't know). I tried looking up a value online but I couldn't find this particular model.

Search competed auctions. I was able to turn this guy up that way: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863802410

That’s only one but if you can spot a couple it can give you an idea of what they actually sell for.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Thank you, that is helpful. If you look at his other items for sale they are all priced very high. I can't imagine he sells very much stuff, especially now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve seen plenty of relished suctions

I don't think those are allowed on Gunbroker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Your experience may vary, but I always do an advanced search so I can choose no reserve, because theres no point to an auction when the seller has set the reserve higher than the gun is worth, which happens friggin constantly.

I "won" multiple auctions without actually winning before I just said fuckit and gave up on reserve auctions entirely.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't think those are allowed on Gunbroker.
"SS Nazi Relish Bowl Rare Real Vet Bringback L@@k Buchenwald Auschwitz Totenkopf"

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 23, 2020

«311 »