Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«311 »
Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Listings with reserves can just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I don't think I've ever bid on an auction with a reserve unless it was by accident.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I sometimes do but usually only in the context of an auction thatís gotten no interest. I throw a low ball that Iíd be happy to pay and just bounce when it almost inevitably doesnít hit reserve.

I think I ended up with a gun that way once. Iirc this is why I have two WW1 era G98s

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

I don't understand why you would use a reserve and not just set the starting price at the minimum you're willing to let it go for. Like why is it even an option to use??

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

So that your listing shows up first when sellers sort by price.

NOT K98 G43 Luger P38 MP40

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

The argument I can see is that by starting a penny auction you generate more interest and get bidders invested in the idea they have the chance of scoring a deal. But there still might be a minimum you need/want. I just donít think it works in the gun auction world because most of the time, no itís a really high reserve.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

I can see the point at an in person auction where people are going to be present at every lot and might take a shot at stuff they didn't explicitly come there for (and maybe you get unlucky and nobody particularly interested in a certain thing came) but for online auctions where 99% of the time it's people who are purposely looking for that specific type of thing I think all it does is piss people off.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

On the flip side I'm so mad at myself for bidding on a CZ452FS last week, vs just hitting the BIN price. Buy it now was only $100 more and someone else did it within hours, of course.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Reserves used to be the norm in auctions. I'm pretty sure it's just a holdover of when rich people didn't want their poo poo getting bought for a song.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Itís just infuriating and baldly manipulative.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Somebody Awful posted:

NOT K98 G43 Luger P38 MP40

Sellers doing this poo poo is ten times as annoying as reserves.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Tyro posted:

On the flip side I'm so mad at myself for bidding on a CZ452FS last week, vs just hitting the BIN price. Buy it now was only $100 more and someone else did it within hours, of course.
I completely get this. I bought a gun recently (wheelgun thread) that is very hard to find and priced fairly, but not a smoking deal on a non auction site. Even with a lot of luck maybe I could have saved 15% for a year of looking so I went for it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

Itís just infuriating and baldly manipulative.

Donít get me wrong, I hate them too. But they were sure as poo poo normal at the Sothebyís and Christieís auctions my grandmother bid in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Thereís no way to lower your max bid once you enter that, right? Not talking about retracting a bid thatís in, just about that auto-bid feature. It seems kind of dumb that you canít and really discourages me from using that feature unless itís an auction thatíll be ending when I canít be around my computer.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s no way to lower your max bid once you enter that, right? Not talking about retracting a bid that’s in, just about that auto-bid feature. It seems kind of dumb that you can’t and really discourages me from using that feature unless it’s an auction that’ll be ending when I can’t be around my computer.

Wait, what? You want to live bid?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

Wait, what? You want to live bid?

Not particularly, but Iíd like to be able to change my mind on how much I want to spend if my account hasnít actually entered a bid that high into the auction yet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just... don't set a max bid higher than you're willing to pay

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

my kinda ape posted:

I don't understand why you would use a reserve and not just set the starting price at the minimum you're willing to let it go for. Like why is it even an option to use??

You start at a penny because once people put a bid on it they'll usually bid some more. When you see an item with 43 bids, it seems like the item is legit because obviously a bunch of people are interested in it. I listed quite a few Colt mags during the Sandyhook panic and wound up getting $42-50 per mag because they would get bid up. People put reserves there to keep their rifle from going for 1 cent, but honestly you get higher prices usually because people know they CAN win it for whatever they bid.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 24, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Internet Wizard posted:

Just... don't set a max bid higher than you're willing to pay

I think the argument here is that I may be interested in 4 items in a given auction, and have a $2k spending limit, but expect that any of the items cound go for $800 or more. So if I set a few max bids on lots that are split up decently far apart, I could pay some attention to the auction without watching it like a hawk, and if one of my early bids won then I could retract or lower the max bid on a later item that hadn't come up yet. I could be completely inventing this use case, but I think that's the sort of thing that's being discussed here. It's not an unreasonable feature request really.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

armorer posted:

I think the argument here is that I may be interested in 4 items in a given auction, and have a $2k spending limit, but expect that any of the items cound go for $800 or more. So if I set a few max bids on lots that are split up decently far apart, I could pay some attention to the auction without watching it like a hawk, and if one of my early bids won then I could retract or lower the max bid on a later item that hadn't come up yet. I could be completely inventing this use case, but I think that's the sort of thing that's being discussed here. It's not an unreasonable feature request really.

Basically either that, or if I put in a max bid of 1000 for something, and have second thoughts a day later that, hmmm, I donít want to spend more than 900 on this, while the bidding is still at 750. The bid hasnít been entered, thereís basically no reason to not let me adjust it down to 900.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Never enter a bid ceiling/max you arenít willing to pay. If you are having second thought about a bid, it shouldnít have been entered in the first place.

Sorry to sound curt, but people retracting and canceling bids is a problem in my eBay store.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Never enter a bid ceiling/max you arenít willing to pay. If you are having second thought about a bid, it shouldnít have been entered in the first place.

Sorry to sound curt, but people retracting and canceling bids is a problem in my eBay store.

I would absolutely see it being a problem if it was retracting an actual entered bid, that would be a dick move. I don't really see where there's a problem with changing my bid ceiling downwards, though, the only person who even knows what that is would be myself.

E:Like I said before, all it's doing is making me reluctant to actually use the feature because I'm concerned I may change my mind about how much I want to max out at after the fact.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 25, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

If it was a silent auction where there was a set period of time to submit a single bid, and then the highest bid won, letting you back out of your bid before the auction closed and everyone's bid was discovered would make sense. But in this case, your bid may have forced up someone else's autobid to be higher, so letting you out of your bid doesn't seem fair.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Craptacular posted:

If it was a silent auction where there was a set period of time to submit a single bid, and then the highest bid won, letting you back out of your bid before the auction closed and everyone's bid was discovered would make sense. But in this case, your bid may have forced up someone else's autobid to be higher, so letting you out of your bid doesn't seem fair.

I'm not talking about backing out of an entered bid though. I'm talking about lowering the maximum setting on what my autobid can make. On their end, it's the same result if I entered the bid manually or had an autobid make it.

E:Basically what I'm talking about is a situation where there's a few days to go. I have a currently winning bid of 900 dollars, and my max bid is set to 1200. What would be nice would be to leave my current winning bid in and drop my max bid to 900 dollars. If that ends up being the winning bid, I still pay for the gun and buy it and all that. In the likely situation where someone bids more than 900 dollars, they now have the winning bid, good for them, but my account won't automatically bid more to beat them.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 25, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I don't think Gunbroker really wants to provide a way to lower bids and therefore, make themselves less money. I dunno though, have you asked them why you can't do that? https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

I don't understand what's being advocated here. Lots of us have gunbroker regrets but such is life.

Don't bid any more than you are willing and able to pay. The end.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Thelonious posted:

Don't bid any more than you are willing and able to pay. The end.

I do understand what you're asking for, but Thelonious has the real answer. The answer above about gunbroker not wanting to make less money is 100% valid too. I'm thinking it adds complexity to bidding, and their site's old code, and you would have situations where someone tries to retract their bid ceiling mid-bidding war and the bid gets pushed higher above their newly desired lower ceiling. Then they're complaining to gunbroker support and trying to cancel bids and wiggle out. As an eBay seller I think we shouldn't give people any more avenues or "lol technology!" excuses to back out of bids, enough of that happens already.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I get so many "parents" curtly telling me to cancel bids because their children placed them.

I've also had two heart attacks and one death to get out of auctions. The two heart attacks were items under ten dollars.

I always respond kindly and cancel the bids, but somehow these bids always happen late Friday and Saturday night. When people drink. Forgive me if I'm skeptical.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

My unsolicited hot tip is look for guns that are missing something or another because usually people don't even bid on something that's missing poo poo. My Uzi was missing a magazine, no bids where it was bidding wars for an identical one with 3 magz. SKS has no bayonet, cleaning kit, or cleaning rod, no bids on it at all except mine though that could also be because it was a bit higher than just buying a rando from Classic but I wanted that specific one.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Just make sure whatever is missing is actually obtainable though. If you buy a gun for a song and can't find the missing part to fix it then it's still not a very good deal

AceMcSquelch
Feb 16, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Just make sure whatever is missing is actually obtainable though. If you buy a gun for a song and can't find the missing part to fix it then it's still not a very good deal

Can attest. I bought a Merwin Hulbert pocket revolver abut 5 years ago with a missing side plate. Ask me how that search is going.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If it's just a plate could you get one made by a CNC shop?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Probably, but you would need to find someone else that has the same model to take some measurements to get the model made and then pay someone to make it, which could end up very expensive. I'm assuming that it's not just a flat sheet, if it is that makes it a bit simpler. I'm assuming there's internal ridges.

Thread related, anyone got a $7,500 case of francophilia? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866037142

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thread related, anyone got a $7,500 case of francophilia? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866037142

This is a trap to find the name of Ian McCollum's gunbroker account

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

a goon sold him something and his account name is in the thread already

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

my kinda ape posted:

I actually made a joke when I posted that elsewhere that Ian's bank account just started feeling nervous and didn't know why.

Peeches
May 24, 2018

Newbie seller question, selling handgun on GunBroker, does the buyer FFL handle tranfer paperwork? I read through all the seller info and even watched the video but I can't find the answer.

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Your responsibility is just to ship it legally. Send it to a licensed dealer either yourself or have an ffl local to you do it. Depending on what kind of gun it is and if you're shipping it yourself or having an ffl ship it there are different restrictions and requirements. Everything related to the actual transfer is handled on the buyer's end with the receiving ffl.

Peeches
May 24, 2018

Final Blog Entry posted:

Your responsibility is just to ship it legally. Send it to a licensed dealer either yourself or have an ffl local to you do it. Depending on what kind of gun it is and if you're shipping it yourself or having an ffl ship it there are different restrictions and requirements. Everything related to the actual transfer is handled on the buyer's end with the local ffl.

Great idea, I'll head to my gun store to talk to the guys there. I think they're pretty bored anyway with the indoor range shut down still

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

princess_peach posted:

Great idea, I'll head to my gun store to talk to the guys there. I think they're pretty bored anyway with the indoor range shut down still.. I didn't even think of that, thanks

Since you mentioned specifically it was a handgun it'll probably definitely be cheaper to pay your local FFL to send it for you. If you do it (with a copy of your driver's license inside the box) you'll have to ship it UPS or FedEx next day air or something dumb like that for $100+. If you go through your FFL they can send it USPS priority mail and will charge you their FFL fee. May be a good idea and call around to ask what people charge, rates will vary.

For a long gun (shotgun or rifle), you could ship that via USPS and skip the transfer fee and save some money for some headache. But for a pistol it's almost always cheaper unless your work let's you send out overnight for free :V

«311 »