Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«311 »
Peeches
May 24, 2018

Ceros_X posted:

Since you mentioned specifically it was a handgun it'll probably definitely be cheaper to pay your local FFL to send it for you. If you do it (with a copy of your driver's license inside the box) you'll have to ship it UPS or FedEx next day air or something dumb like that for $100+. If you go through your FFL they can send it USPS priority mail and will charge you their FFL fee. May be a good idea and call around to ask what people charge, rates will vary.

For a long gun (shotgun or rifle), you could ship that via USPS and skip the transfer fee and save some money for some headache. But for a pistol it's almost always cheaper unless your work let's you send out overnight for free :V
thanks for the clarification

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The big thing is to make sure you write down the buyerís info and include that with the gun so the receiving store knows who to call.

Youíd think it would be common sense for the buyer to talk to their FFL first and give them a heads up but youíd be wrong.

Peeches
May 24, 2018

Internet Wizard posted:

The big thing is to make sure you write down the buyerís info and include that with the gun so the receiving store knows who to call.

Youíd think it would be common sense for the buyer to talk to their FFL first and give them a heads up but youíd be wrong.

10-4

Peeches fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 19, 2020

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Pump-open combi:

https://auctionet.com/sv/1280576-37...lv-nr-s1-h00111

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

*desire to know more intensifies*

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

That looks like it was made with one of those build-a-gun apps that lets you slap a bunch of features and accessories on a template.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

my kinda ape posted:

*desire to know more intensifies*

https://www.innogun.de/de/innogun/hybrid

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Why do people try to snipe on gunbroker?? At the very least they should bid at 15 minutes and 1 second or whatever so it doesn't extend to give people more time but nope they're always bidding at 1 minute left or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh I do that myself. Itís not so much sniping as waiting to see how many people are actively loving around. Half the time two people go at it with you on the sidelines

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Whether you bid with fifteen minutes and one second to go, or one second, that bid is gonna sit there for fifteen minutes so it really doesnít make a difference.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just like to know how much competition Iíve got. If two dudes want to get in a pissing match I probably donít need to waste my time.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

There's also the drag it out strategy where you post the smallest bid possible, delay the auction by another 15 minutes and do this into the night or all afternoon or whatever hoping to outlast the other guy if they aren't throwing big bids.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

There's also the drag it out strategy where you post the smallest bid possible, delay the auction by another 15 minutes and do this into the night or all afternoon or whatever hoping to outlast the other guy if they aren't throwing big bids.

Doesnít putting in a max bid kind of break that since itíll keep auto bidding up to a limit? So even if the other guy went to bed, he still has the site outbidding you each time.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Doesnít putting in a max bid kind of break that since itíll keep auto bidding up to a limit? So even if the other guy went to bed, he still has the site outbidding you each time.
I've never done it to be clear, but I think when he throws a bid over the current, even if it doesn't exceed someone else's max bid it'll reset the clock. So your max is your max but if it resets the clock someone can push the bidding late and exceed your bid while you are asleep or whatever.

quote:

All of our auctions use the 15 Minute Rule. If a user places a bid within 15 minutes of the scheduled end date/time, the auction automatically switches into a special mode analogous to the "going, going, gone" of a live listing. In this mode, the listing is automatically extended until no bids have been placed within 15 minutes. When 15 minutes have passed with no bidding activity, the listing ends.

I'm not 100% on this but it doesn't say you have to exceed someone's max bid, just place a bid.

E: come to think of it I'm pretty drat sure I recently placed a bid under someone's max and it reset the clock.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

I've never done it to be clear, but I think when he throws a bid over the current, even if it doesn't exceed someone else's max bid it'll reset the clock. So your max is your max but if it resets the clock someone can push the bidding late and exceed your bid while you are asleep or whatever.

I'm not 100% on this but it doesn't say you have to exceed someone's max bid, just place a bid.

E: come to think of it I'm pretty drat sure I recently placed a bid under someone's max and it reset the clock.

Oh, it definitely resets the clock, as does their max bid setting making a bid, Iím just saying it takes some of the usefulness of trying to wear out the other bidder over a period of time.

I donít usually use the max bid feature unless itís an auction ending at a time where I canít be around my computer, just in case I change my mind about how much I want to spend, but itís very good for trying to get around people who try to do this.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

I think that's my problem really. I just need to decide what the very maximum I'm willing to spend is, submit that, and walk away.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I wish Ebay had bidding structure like GunBroker. The way Ebay bids are done constantly costs me and others -

- Money as a seller. I have computer programs going to battle in .26 cent increments to get poo poo as cheap as possible. I also have a lot of repeat customers who I know would bid more to secure an item. But with two seconds left, they get mega-sniped.

- Items as a buyer. There have been more times than I can count where I'd go ten or twenty bucks higher. Then bam, I lose by some absurdly low amount.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Captain Log posted:

I wish Ebay had bidding structure like GunBroker. The way Ebay bids are done constantly costs me and others -

- Money as a seller. I have computer programs going to battle in .26 cent increments to get poo poo as cheap as possible. I also have a lot of repeat customers who I know would bid more to secure an item. But with two seconds left, they get mega-sniped.

- Items as a buyer. There have been more times than I can count where I'd go ten or twenty bucks higher. Then bam, I lose by some absurdly low amount.

Yeah for all that I get annoyed at other people on Gunbroker the system itself is WAY better than Ebay. Ebay sucks poo poo as a buyer and a seller, and I don't even use it all that much as either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah for all that I get annoyed at other people on Gunbroker the system itself is WAY better than Ebay. Ebay sucks poo poo as a buyer and a seller, and I don't even use it all that much as either.

God I lost a book I wanted on Ebay a few months ago due to this poo poo. It's normally $200, it was at $100 for a long time, I put in a bid for $125 with like 45 seconds left and someone ended up sniping it at 15 seconds left for $132 or some poo poo. Wan't an auto-bid because it happened a bit after mine. The kicker is that I would have happily gone to $150 on it. The seller just lost cast on it.

At this point I just BIN on ebay. I'm not going to gently caress with going against people who are using sniping programs etc. Such a terrible system.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh the other thing with drawing out bids on GB is that I at least hope that 3rd parties get bored and walk away. If two bidders play footsie on an auction ending at 8pm until 9:30 hopefully the other lurkers waiting to jump in at the end get bored and walk away.

I mean, this could just be superstition at this point. I'm not going to pretend it's well designed theory or anything. 19 times out of 20 I bow out before the other guys anyways.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I still haven't ever used Gunbroker because of the seller horror stories.

I bend over backwards to be a nice guy on Ebay and have maybe banned...two people? Even then, I'm still using my Customer Service voice. On Gunbroker, it sounds like people put an effort into being a weird dick.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíve had far fewer problems on GB than eBay. Especially as a buyer. I think itís a ymmv thing

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I get why you wouldn't want to put in your max bid right from the start, sort of. But I really don't get saying you lost an auction on something by being outbid and you would've bid higher if you'd had the chance. Because you did have the chance.

I also hardly ebay, because I don't enjoy the auction dynamic. I'll bargain on classifieds but that's about the limit of the effort I'll put into something. The few times I've bid on something, I put in what I was willing to pay as my max and then walked away for a while.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I think gunbroker has less outright lovely sellers overall, but the flip side is more old dudes that only kinda know how the internet works.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

ThinkFear posted:

I think gunbroker has less outright lovely sellers overall, but the flip side is more old dudes that only kinda know how the internet works.

That could be it. I just get turned off by the all caps "DO NOT ASK ME A STUPID QUESTION" poo poo at the bottom of each auction.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Internet Wizard posted:

I get why you wouldn't want to put in your max bid right from the start, sort of. But I really don't get saying you lost an auction on something by being outbid and you would've bid higher if you'd had the chance. Because you did have the chance.
Yeah, in the rare cases where I was super hardcore serious about winning something on ebay or gunbroker, my strategy is simple: wait until the last 15 mins (GB) or 30 sec (ebay) and put in one, single bid for my absolute highest price I'd part with. At least at that point if you get beat by a dollar or something, there's no "but I would have paid more!" moment.

I haven't actually done this since 2015 because bidding websites are awful. I always switch to "buy it now" listings exclusively these days.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always through a max bid of what I'm comfortable with- typically a bit lower than my drop dead max, then set a reminder for 5-15 minutes before the end of the auction to adjust fire if need be.

I have bought so many vintage Aimpoint that way.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have bought so many vintage Aimpoint that way.

I've thrown out a lot of lowball bids on those on eBay here and there for shits but haven't won one. I have no idea what I'd put it on, they're just neat

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Final Blog Entry posted:

I've thrown out a lot of lowball bids on those on eBay here and there for shits but haven't won one. I have no idea what I'd put it on, they're just neat

I gotta grab an Aimpoint 2000 one of these days so I can make a Black Hawk Down-era clone. They're too cool.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Final Blog Entry posted:

I've bought 3 GII, 2 Mk3, and a 100- and two different screw in magnifiers. I haven't broken a Benjamin on any of them (discounting the one optic/mag combo for 120$).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I might have just found the scummiest Ebay sale I've ever seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Off-Cou....m1850#viTabs_0

Not only is it for a "Covid Themed" silver coin. It's not even for the coin. It's a five dollar coupon to receive $12 off a Covid coin, you then buy elsewhere.

I'll be shocked if this isn't taken down by the morning.

Edit - They have sold nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks, it's only 5000 central African francs

Grabbed two

«311 »