Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like I said, I can't verify it. It might be the museum version of sea stories, but it wasn't coming from some random junior archivist or volunteer or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gawd, I just sold a revolver on gunbroker and the guy didn't contact me for three days. When he did, it was an email asking me to call him. Why he couldn't just call me is a mystery since to get my email address he'd have to go to the same contact page that has my phone number. Whatever.

I call him and it's grandpa story time for twenty minutes. But the highlights are: he's got an FFL and will only receive firearms from another FFL (even though I clearly stated in my auction that the purchaser's FFL must be willing to accept a shipment from a private individual). Whatever. I can still ship through my local shop, it's just a pain coordinating with them. And he says he won't send me the payment, but he'll send a postal money order via registered mail to my FFL, who is free to cash it and take their fee out before handing the rest of the money order over to me. Because you can always trust an FFL to be on the up-and-up.

Whatever. Just mail me my drat money, weirdo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

infrared35 posted:

Gawd, I just sold a revolver on gunbroker and the guy didn't contact me for three days. When he did, it was an email asking me to call him. Why he couldn't just call me is a mystery since to get my email address he'd have to go to the same contact page that has my phone number. Whatever.

I call him and it's grandpa story time for twenty minutes. But the highlights are: he's got an FFL and will only receive firearms from another FFL (even though I clearly stated in my auction that the purchaser's FFL must be willing to accept a shipment from a private individual). Whatever. I can still ship through my local shop, it's just a pain coordinating with them. And he says he won't send me the payment, but he'll send a postal money order via registered mail to my FFL, who is free to cash it and take their fee out before handing the rest of the money order over to me. Because you can always trust an FFL to be on the up-and-up.

It sounds like he's trying to pull something and I'd have told him to go gently caress himself, but you do you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

My bullshit radar is pinging.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yeah, everything sounds sketchy as hell, but he's got a 430 feedback and seems pretty consistent otherwise. And at any rate, I'm not shipping until I see the money. I wonder if my FFL charges an extra fee for acting as an escrow service. :P

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Yeah that sounds extremely sketchy to me. If he won't send you the payment as stated in your auction then he's a non paying bidder.

Also you can't cash someone else's postal money order AFAIK so unless he's making it out to the FFL (gently caress that) then that ain't gonna work.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 29, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

infrared35 posted:

430 feedback
hack/stealing someone's high feedback account is a classic scam trick

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

A GB listing is a muh-huckin' contract, if some jackass can't be bothered to read it before bidding and abide by the terms if they win, you probably shouldn't have your name attached to selling them the gun they're gonna use to go hunting at a Walmart or shoot their girlfriend "accidentally".

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

And also there's nothing in writing about this arrangement either since he called you which gives him a ton of flexibility to gently caress with you down the line.

The guy could just be a stupid boomer fudd but you never know.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

infrared35 posted:

he's got a 430 feedback

Maybe you should do something about that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You set the terms, not him.

People who think, “I can just Karen my way through life THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT WHERE IS YOUR MANAGER?!” In private sales piss me right the gently caress off.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The more I think about it, I feel like this guy thinks he can somehow convince the FFL to hold or refund his money for some reason. Or tell you he is only paying half for some reason only perceptible to the crazy. I never use money orders, so I'm not sure I know the ins and outs of how they work, but I smell a rat.

Even if this is all legit, I'd be very worried I could ruin my relationship with an FFL if the dude is exasperating.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Captain Log posted:

my relationship with an FFL

lmao

Srsly tho, if you're in good with this FFL they might tell YOU to gently caress off if there are shenanigans down the line. I've never had a good relationship with an FFL, so if you do, might be a good idea to protect that as well. Also something about an old man calling you up to dictate the terms of YOUR auction just pisses me off. Too many years in retail have made me irrationally angry when entitled people start making weird demands like that in a situation where they actually do not have ANY power to do so.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Nobody Cares

gently caress this guy, he's either not the actual account owner or the leaded gasoline finally got to him

I've flipped quite literally hundreds of items through gb and have not once yielded to such a bizarre story. Money now, I ship when paid, end of story.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

FFL HOLDS PAYMENT?

NO, MONEY NOW!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, no loving way. If i'm selling a gun I get payment before I ship, end of story. None of this "send the money order to your FFL" horse poo poo.

If the dude won't play ball file a non-paying bidder complaint and re-list. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

Also the phone call thing is sketch as hell as others have mentioned. There's no record.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I'll Nth the gently caress that poo poo sentiment. I don't think it's a scam, just peak old dude being bad at the internet, but still, gently caress that poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ThinkFear posted:

I'll Nth the gently caress that poo poo sentiment. I don't think it's a scam, just peak old dude being bad at the internet, but still, gently caress that poo poo.

This is where I sit. Guy's creating a hassle not just for me, but for the FFL - asking them to do a job they're not required or compensated to do by receiving the money and holding onto it.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

The more I think about it, I feel like this guy thinks he can somehow convince the FFL to hold or refund his money for some reason. Or tell you he is only paying half for some reason only perceptible to the crazy. I never use money orders, so I'm not sure I know the ins and outs of how they work, but I smell a rat.

Even if this is all legit, I'd be very worried I could ruin my relationship with an FFL if the dude is exasperating.

I do trust my FFL; he's a coworker at my day job. But yeah, I'm not shipping until the money order clears and I have cash in hand.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

FFLs have thin margins as it is without being an escrow service on top of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

infrared35 posted:

I do trust my FFL; he's a coworker at my day job. But

Yeah... let me and my Ruger Mini 14 that took months to actually get tell you about how that can go.

Basically it took 5 months and a BAFTE nastygram before I actually got the goddamn thing.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GB really needs a way to report auctions.

Like this poo poo.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876581015

That isn't the "zig zag" I was looking for.

Who the gently caress is buying bog standard women's shirts on GB? This isn't ebay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like this poo poo.

Who the gently caress is buying bog standard women's shirts on GB? This isn't ebay.

But they went and put the effort in to add “target practice at the range!” To the description!

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But they went and put the effort in to add “target practice at the range!” To the description!

A V-neck is a hilariously bad idea for that activity, too. Hot brass lands in the worst places if you don't cover up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

A V-neck is a hilariously bad idea for that activity, too. Hot brass lands in the worst places if you don't cover up.

Even more so if it's a female shooter.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like this poo poo.

I shouldn't have to remind you that regardless of state legality it's still illegal in the ATF's eyes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I shouldn't have to remind you that regardless of state legality it's still illegal in the ATF's eyes.

Wow, when did women's clothing get so strictly regulated?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Rolling papers.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Nipponophile posted:

Since God decided showing too much ankle was a hellworthy trespass.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

madeintaipei posted:

Rolling papers.

Elements or Raws?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Elements or Raws?

The small, nasty ones that come in a pack of Bugler.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

Oh Bugler isn't so bad. It's no American Spirit, but it's no TOP either.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh Bugler isn't so bad. It's no American Spirit, but it's no TOP either.

I was always partial to Drum. The smell when you open the package is heavenly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

I was always partial to Drum. The smell when you open the package is heavenly.

Oh my god yes.

The blue pouch. Navy, not light blue.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Jester or Bali Shag are where it's at, but you gotta find a shop that moves enough of it that their inventory is fresh

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who the gently caress is buying bog standard women's shirts on GB?

Money launderers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jesus. A buddy of mine just described how stupid gun prices have gotten. Seriously considering throwing my AR and Glock on gunborker or a local gun forum, include all the ammo I have, and just see how stupid it gets.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I'm trying to sell a rifle on GB. I posted 2 pics showing pitting in the bore. I mention the bore is pitted and the gun is inaccurate in the first paragraph. Cue some dumbass putting a high bid down and messaging me 30 minutes later "Oh, I didn't read the item description or look at all the pics, can I retract my bid?". Tell him GB doesn't support that (they only retract in exceptional circumstances, not for "buyer is an idiot". He ends up winning the auction of course. Thankfully he paid me for the sellers fees so I can just relist it, but gently caress, that added a lot of additional time and work on my end for a gun that really isn't worth that much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

uuuuuughhhh.

Found an xbox 360 for a reasonable price on Ebay. Dude was super late on shipping, threw in a kenect that I'll never use for free. Whatever. Get the box and the packing is terrible. Crack in the outer casing that wasn't there in the pics. Ok, whatever.

. . . and he included the wrong loving power supply. This is a $50 ebay console, the power bricks are $15-20.

Jesus gently caress either I'm going to end up waiting a week for him to ship me the right PS (assuming he just takes the hit and does it) or I'm going to end up just refunding this thing and starting over, which means I'll have to drag it to the UPS store and end up out ~$20 shipping anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

OK, but did you buy Lost Odyssey and Operation Darkness like I said to?