Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Cyrano4747 posted:

That said, you could always just pay the $200 to register it as an SBR.

But then you'd have to engrave your name on it, right? I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that with a nice Luger or Mauser or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Craptacular posted:

It's 1/4oz but I don't think it's explosive. AFAIK the idea was to hook the whale, not blast it apart.

I can't say for sure if that particular cannon is explosive, but I do know that explosive harpoons were indeed used to hunt whales, so it wouldn't surprise me.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Honestly it's not terrible for dremel work, but it isn't good either.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Pitch posted:

And they appear to have been applied with the point of a bayonet.

Yep, they certainly don't look like they were done by someone who knows how to write Chinese characters. Squaring characters off so they can be engraved/stamped/whatever makes they look weird sometimes, sure, but the proportions on the characters are wonky as hell.

Edit: To my eye, at least. I admittedly don't spend a lot of time staring at Chinese firing selectors.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 17, 2010

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Mob Guns? gently caress Mob Guns.
this is a Webley Mk VI

The grammatical error you can see on the piece of paper in the picture bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

SadWhaleFamily posted:

It's not really a grammatical error; it's a spelling error.

Unless it's not the "please advice" you're talking about.

True, I was thinking that it was probably someone being stupid and putting the wrong word there, but it is more likely that they're just bad at spelling.

Content: Teeerrrribly sporterized Type 44 Arisaka, one of the less common Arisakas.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166356430

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Motronic posted:

That is horrible. What's equally as horrible is that the brass is probably worth as much as the abomination now.

I think abomination is a bit of a strong word. As much as we all dislike sporterizing, that looks like it's at least a decent job of it. Plus, it having a Lyman sight instead of being drilled and tapped for a scope makes me think that maybe it was sporterized back when by the guy who brought it home, which at least makes it potentially less offensive.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172388278

FINN M39 BEAUTIFUL STOCK

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I guess that's a cheap way to get a decent action, though.

Yeah, if it stays around that price it wouldn't be bad, but it looks like it has some people watching it. I'm guessing it will get a bit pricier in the day it's got left.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Bad pictures and little information are pretty common for Gunbroker, but this is the first time I've seen this:

quote:

Please include a signed affidavit swearing that you did not vote for Barack Obama or your payment will be returned and the item will be re-listed!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179342410

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Gewehr 43 posted:

I hate seeing sportered K98's, but even I'll admit that there are some really beautifully-done rifles out there. Sportered G43's are always, always skull-crushingly-bad hackjobs.

I know what you mean, but the specific example of G43 sporterization doesn't seem that bad. It's certainly not a beautiful piece like you find with some boltguns, like you say, but it looks like a reasonable well done, utilitarian modification of a utilitarian rifle. It's too bad that it happened, but I can't hate on that rifle too much. I'd hardly say it's a "skull-crushingly-bad hackjob".

Edit: Wait, haha, I just realized who I'm talking to. Yeah, I'd imagine you'd feel pretty strongly about G43 sporters. I know where you're coming from, at least.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Atticus_1354 posted:

That is loving hilarious. Do they close peoples accounts if they login while traveling also?

I registered an account while in Japan. It's still active too. I put down my home as Maine, where I'm from and where I still technically have residency. They initially disabled my account because obviously I was running from an overseas IP which was different from the location that I put down as living at, but when I responded to the issue report (or whatever it is) by explaining that I'm currently studying abroad in Japan but my permanent residence is in the US, they reactivated my account.

There are people that sell on Gunbroker from countries other than the US, anyway, though not many of them.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

bandaid posted:

I know all these things, but sadly not that much more. Can you recommend some books? What is your class reading like? I could ask my father, who's read thousands of WWII books, the same thing, but he's going to go into great detail about the book he's currently reading about one supply line in eastern Russia, and never actually answer my question. I want to get into WWII history, but whats a good starting point? Id say I'm better off that most the kids you deal with, but nothing like some people on here.

If really that's all you know, then you could always just start by basically reading the Wikipedia article on WWII and then exploring the links to more detailed info on specific events. That will at least give you a general idea of the whole conflict, and it's something you can do at this very second.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

MariusLecter posted:

Yes.
If it makes any difference I got him to drop the Hipoint carbine and he left Austin with a ak74 and Smith & Wesson ppk.

I told him about gunbroker a few weeks ago but he didn't seem too interested at the time. He called me up yesterday to tell me he won the auction for the Draco. I would have asked in the TFR General Questions about it if I had any sort of clairvoyant ability.

What he wants next is a bullpup ak, any advice on type/price for those?

Why is this person your friend

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

MariusLecter posted:

No.
And to answer LimburgLimbo, we've been bros since forever. Also, he paid for my hotel room, saiga12 and ak47 when we were out of town last weekend. We go both ways though, I'm gonna pick up a reticle sight and one or two magazines for that draco he just got from a gun store in the next county. I was also gonna pick up a few boxes of Winchester .380 auto for his ppk but he already bought 10 boxes of .380 zombie slayer ammo.

On topic, I had no clue gunbroker was such a 'interesting' place. I, a blind man, lead my blind friend into this mess. How do I fix it?

Wait are you saying he bought you guns in exchane for you buying him stuff? That sounds suspiciously like a straw purchase, man

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

thermobollocks posted:

Yeah, I did, and I want to see you holding that loving rifle in such a way that your body interacts with said fuckin blade.

This may be giving a too-serious answer to a dumb loving statement, but when reloading an AK a lot of people are going to roll it to the side to visually guide the magazine, and a lot of people will roll it depending on how they're used to operating the charging handle, which would generally face the blade toward you and may well have it pressing against you.

See this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdr52tK1IrI

and now imagine that stock had a blade.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I think this is the first time I've seen a raceglock. Aesthetically I actually like the yellow barrel.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Hey guys, so Gun Broker decided to be a oval office and get rid of finished auction prices. Except they didn't really, just look at the page source, ctrl+f for price and you'll see the ending price.

For example: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/774475790

Boom, it sold for $305. The blacked out stuff is just user info.

They'll probably fix it eventually so it's not there. What they're probably doing it trying to prevent people from web scraping because they're also selling reports on guns and they don't want people doing it for free.

Which frankly makes sense. They now effectively have the most extensive and up to date database of market prices for guns anywhere and they, pretty reasonably, should want to monetize it. I presume it lets them sell packages to professional sellers, and for individual buyers it only cost USD 1.99 per report for the last 12 months average price history, which is an entirely reasonable price to pay to figure out the going price for a gun.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

stealie72 posted:

Yay! Monetizing every goddamn thing.

Wonder if eBay will follow suit eventually.

That's business for you. There are lots of companies who do literally nothing but sell data, aka sell the labor they've done to collect said data or effectively sell their position in the market which allows them to collect said data.

You don't go to a market research company and say "hey all the data you have totally could have been collected by me if I wanted so give it to me for free". Gunbroker is just taking their data and cutting out the middleman and offering the market research for their own data. If they were smart they would probably start a service where they add in some additional factors beyond just their own data (analysis of advertisements and impact on sales, scrape data from some other online sale sites and stores/brick and mortar stores and have it as additional data for their reports) and sell that to manufacturers and marketers, etc.

The rear end in a top hat issue is whether or not they mess with their GUI or other free services, which is what it looked like they may have been doing with Doctor Grape Ape's not seeing sold prices, in order to drive people to the service artificially.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I Demand Food posted:

There's clearly a market for Fudder.

Is... is this like butter but made from Fudd milk? Because that's p hosed up ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

What have I done