Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Word to the wise - This is technically against Ebays TOS and can get your account locked. I sell a lot of collectible toys on my store, and also some silver, and the amount of people with a sob story about "trying to get some silver for their kid (not a joke - this happened) and I need to take down the auction IMMEDIATELY so I can accept their lowball offer" is jaw dropping. I've started reporting most people that hit me with anything more than an offer.

This is completely acceptable some places, but not good ole' Ebay.

Also, sniping software on a Mac - I use... :bursts into laughter:

I sold a scope on eBay last week and some rear end in a top hat tried to give me a sob story about why I should take his lowball offer. First he offered $20 above the starting price and I politely said that he was welcome to bid and if he was lucky no one else would bid and he'd get it for $20 less than he offered, then he replies asking "so if I gave you [starting price] right now, you wouldn't take it?" Bitch you just offered me $20 more five minutes ago. I just added him to my blocked bidders list. If I wanted to haggle I'd become a used car salesman, eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Just bought a Steyr GB barrel for $300 because for some dumbass reason I thought if I made an offer I would have the opportunity to decline if they accepted. I didn't have a chance to pick up the gun today so I don't even know if it's a better one than the one my gun has as I suspect.

I am a genius

The only way to make up for this is to get it threaded for a suppressor I guess...somehow.

edit: Upon further review this barrel might actually be kind of rare and maybe worth more than I paid? This thing has six gas ports and every other picture or video of a GB barrel I can find has two. The rifling might also be conventional vs the normal polygonal rifling? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865912494

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 21, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ceros_X posted:

Is it an aftermarket or OEM barrel?

I've pieced together from Steyrclub forum posts by a nice German man that it's an OEM barrel with conventional rifling and six gas ports that's intended for firing cast lead bullets, which is apparently a no-no in polygonal rifled barrels. He said a "lead only" barrel so I'm going to try and ask him about it to clarify.

Basically an upgrade part from Steyr. Unfortunately there's not much info about these guns online and even less about obscure options hardly anyone bought.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I don't understand why you would use a reserve and not just set the starting price at the minimum you're willing to let it go for. Like why is it even an option to use??

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I can see the point at an in person auction where people are going to be present at every lot and might take a shot at stuff they didn't explicitly come there for (and maybe you get unlucky and nobody particularly interested in a certain thing came) but for online auctions where 99% of the time it's people who are purposely looking for that specific type of thing I think all it does is piss people off.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Just make sure whatever is missing is actually obtainable though. If you buy a gun for a song and can't find the missing part to fix it then it's still not a very good deal

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thread related, anyone got a $7,500 case of francophilia? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866037142

This is a trap to find the name of Ian McCollum's gunbroker account

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

*desire to know more intensifies*

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Why do people try to snipe on gunbroker?? At the very least they should bid at 15 minutes and 1 second or whatever so it doesn't extend to give people more time but nope they're always bidding at 1 minute left or whatever.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I think that's my problem really. I just need to decide what the very maximum I'm willing to spend is, submit that, and walk away.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

I wish Ebay had bidding structure like GunBroker. The way Ebay bids are done constantly costs me and others -

- Money as a seller. I have computer programs going to battle in .26 cent increments to get poo poo as cheap as possible. I also have a lot of repeat customers who I know would bid more to secure an item. But with two seconds left, they get mega-sniped.

- Items as a buyer. There have been more times than I can count where I'd go ten or twenty bucks higher. Then bam, I lose by some absurdly low amount.

Yeah for all that I get annoyed at other people on Gunbroker the system itself is WAY better than Ebay. Ebay sucks poo poo as a buyer and a seller, and I don't even use it all that much as either.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Won an auction for a CZ-52 on Friday evening two weeks ago. Bought and sent a money order at the post office the next morning. A couple days later I email him to make sure he's ok with taking my C&R license. No response. A couple days after that I just went ahead and sent him a copy of my license saying the gun definitely qualifies as C&R so it should be good to go. No response. I call him a day or two later and he doesn't answer so I leave a message saying hey what's the deal here. He calls back a few hours later and says he's been gone since Thursday (the day before the auction ended) and won't be back until next week. There's zero indication of that in the listing but whatever fine I can wait. Then he sends me a one sentence email today saying "Have not received payment as of yet? [his name]"

I'd say he was trying to scam me if this didn't appear to be an actual gun store.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Won an auction for a CZ-52 on Friday evening two weeks ago. Bought and sent a money order at the post office the next morning. A couple days later I email him to make sure he's ok with taking my C&R license. No response. A couple days after that I just went ahead and sent him a copy of my license saying the gun definitely qualifies as C&R so it should be good to go. No response. I call him a day or two later and he doesn't answer so I leave a message saying hey what's the deal here. He calls back a few hours later and says he's been gone since Thursday (the day before the auction ended) and won't be back until next week. There's zero indication of that in the listing but whatever fine I can wait. Then he sends me a one sentence email today saying "Have not received payment as of yet? [his name]"

I'd say he was trying to scam me if this didn't appear to be an actual gun store.

Welp he told me the money order showed up today. Exactly two weeks after I sent it. Maybe USPS is having problems?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SuperDouche posted:

Anyone ever sell ammo on gunbroker? I have some bulk 9mm fmj and I need the money more. I see plenty of auctions with bids on the exact ammo and am tracking a few auctions to get a feel for prices.
I'm still at a bit of a loss of choosing a payment option, I see some listings opting for CashApp/Zelle. Anyone have any experience on the easiest way for you? I only anticipate having to sell a few lots of 500 9mm fmj, and probably some hollow points.

Edit: I am dumb and forgot what a money order is, any luddite could western union me I guess.

Yeah I'd just do a USPS money order, or have them Venmo you, I've done that before.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Simliarly, anything to look for buying bulk ammo on gunbroker? I need more 12ga and don't know a good way to reliably get it for cheap without getting involved in a bunch of auctions and accidentally buying 5x what I want.

I'd just make sure the seller's feedback is decent, as with buying anything on GB.

Sure you can't just find the ammo from a regular ammo retailer? I would think that would be easier/cheaper but I guess ammo can be kind of scarce these days.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 14, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah I hate that poo poo. I was trying to get some money for some reason a year or two ago so I decided to sell an extra scope I had. Dude messages me on eBay saying he really needs a scope to finish the rifle he's building for his dad for father's day, could I please sell it to him for 2/3rds of the auction starting price?

I message him back that it's a couple weeks before fathers day so all he needs to do is place a bid and if he wins he will have it in time easily! "bububu-but I can't afford it." Well that sucks dude, have fun asking various retailers if they'll sell one to you for less than half of MSRP.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah that sounds extremely sketchy to me. If he won't send you the payment as stated in your auction then he's a non paying bidder.

Also you can't cash someone else's postal money order AFAIK so unless he's making it out to the FFL (gently caress that) then that ain't gonna work.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 29, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I had a 360 I bought near launch that trucked along until long after I cared to use it anymore. I think I sold it at a friend's garage sale a few years ago but it never got the RRoD or anything.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

FWIW I had a money order I sent take exactly two weeks to arrive a few months ago when I bought my CZ-52 on Gunbroker. Although that seller was a moron and apparently was going to be out of town until like a week after the auction ended and never mentioned it at all in the listing or by contacting me. He also sucked at responding to emails or answering phone calls.

The dude you're dealing with does not seem worth the hassle IR35.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Bananana posted:

I hosed up.

I over-bid.

Now I wait 3 days, squeezed butthole, hoping someone dumber than me is out there and bids.

What's the item? Are you financially ruined or just feel like an idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Bananana posted:

Eh... just about 1hundred bux over what I found online for a new glock 19x.

Not ruined, just stupid.

If it makes you feel any better a few weeks ago I went after my white whale and ended up spending $600 over my original maximum bid. It's loving cool though no regrets