Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

but on par with the engraved and gold inlayed glock 19 for 10k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

*sigh* does gunbroker *ever* have a great deal on things ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

the m44 DOES look very nice... not $495 nice though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

wldmn13 posted:

That stupid blue piece of poo poo has been on gb for a long time. I really, really wish they'd implement some sort of relisting fee.

NO! because the guy selling the gold engraved glock 19 for 10k would have to stop after he gets NO bids every week for months.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Alaan posted:

So any pro tips for using Gunbroker for real? Looking like the only source for SA Mil-Specs. Obviously going to keep an eye on feedback, but just checking to make sure there isn't other dumb stuff I should be avoiding.

Just like ebay. Pick a max price, enter it, and get frustrated when outbid by a small amount.

Other then negative feedback, I know of no other way to look at the trustworthiness of sellers. That, and knowing what you are actually bidding on. So if they try to pass of some common crap they painted black as 'RARE NEVER ISSUED'

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or do what everyone else does: flag the gun in your account's bookmarks, note the time it's finishing out, and bid closer to the deadline. Gunbroker has its 15 minute rule, but at the very least that cuts down on the douches who have two accounts to bid on their own stuff and drive the price up once there's some interest generated in it.

About 90% of what I buy on there I get near the end of the auction after no one else has bid on it.

If you're selling: Make sure to pay the extra $1 to get it as a "featured" auction. The unwashed masses gravitate towards those and bid like retarded chimps. This is 10x as important if it's any kind of common gun - you want yours on the top of the pile, not the bottom.

If you're buying: ignore the "featured" auctions, that's where the unwashed masses gravitate and bid like retarded chimps. Look through the un-featured auctions for the ones with the worst, vaguest, most nonsensical auction headers. These are the ones that no one sees and no one bids on. Look for oddball keywords that no one else uses. I got a great K98k that was listed as a "Kar98k" - every other person on gunbroker lists either as K98k, 98k, or K98 for that gun. In the same vein I scored big once on something listed as "Japanese rifle." Someone who wasn't an idiot would have listed it as an Arisaka, Type-99, T99, or a combination of any or all of those.

This sounds like great advice. But unless I am reading it wrong, you both advocate and pan the 'featured auctions'.

I think I found 2 very great deals on a glock 19, but being the jaded ebayer that I am, I really am taking a pause on jumping on them.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I have been searching earnestly for the last 2 weeks for a g19 for under $500 shipped. I was told that I was crazy.

But on GB I see 2 such gems now. One of which is VERY local to me (although slightly used, but with night sights, so bonus)

I am stopping myself from bidding because this just does not happen on ebay style sites

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I remember reading somewhere (or was it on tv) that forgers would buy up old books printed in the period in question to carefully slice out some blank pages to use as the base page..

but that is the extent I will lend my uber CSI knowledge on.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Oh let me let me!

besides the horrible font and colors, and the spelling, and the shady 'history' :

The obvious sanding on the metal (especially in picture #14). With the numbers in a different font then the rest of the 'matching' numbers.

The badly spaced and DEEP numbers on pic 8 ?

It doesn't have the 'russian capture x' ?

Its very odd to be a matching gun since the Russians took them all apart and renumbered ?

The 80 different proof marks ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

What could his purpose be for that? He had no stock so he took some scrap metal and made something the barrel can fit to? Why a PISTOL sight?

I love the bolt removal instructions are basically " take all my crap off to acess the bolt"

also, will he throw in the mismatched "leather" sofa for shipping costs?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 14, 2009

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

"Want to have a 21st century sniper rifle shipped right to your door with no need for government paperwork or records and no background check? WINK, WINK, NUDGE, NUDGE, I'M WINKING AS HARD AS I loving CAN HERE."
I understand.. but jesus christ all he did was bolt some bar shaped metal onto it. Is he really that hard up to make money on a legal "illegal" gun sale ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Is that... a spoon?

I wonder how long it will be before some jackass decides that fancy stick shift balls belong on mosins. My bolt has an 8 ball on it! When I shake it is says something to me in Russian, ма́терный язы́к . I wonder what that means?

I have seen a site selling skulls and such to fit onto your AK charging handle. And i think our own mishaco welds a muzzle brake onto his..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I love how in the same sentence as them saying to respect the victims, they talk it up and say how valuable it is, therefore what a steal they are selling it for.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Foehammer posted:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137793148

What a fantastic deal.

accurate and have unreal fire-power

-- its a .22lr !!

accurate and have unreal fire-power

-- means "good luck getting it off"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

my current FFL for transfers opens up my boxes.. only one end to verify there is a weapon in there, of the correct type.

I welcome it, just in case the one day someone decides to send some 2x4s and lead ingots.

In reality, there are MANY ways to get someone for screwing you.. maybe it has something to do with them accepting the weapon for transfer? i dunno.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

AntiTank posted:

BROUGHT BACK eh?

well, he could have peen'ed them out at home :)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

winning bid : PHILADELPHIA, PA 19114

:(

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I got to cross that off my "As seen at the gun show" checklist.

I never really listened you guys, but there are people totally cool with having nothing but nazi crap, and then there was the guy decked out in his SS uniform walking around the show.... not even a vendor.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

De-greased w/ approximately 10 applications of whiting and acetone

:cry:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

on the 2nd one.. did they paint inside the receiver too? and on the bolt? AND the muzzle break?

I guess its pointless to get new mags too.. since it will look glaringly obvious.

Custom Duracoat from Idaho Ordnance indeed.

EDIT: And i just looked at the first one. The flags remind me of the writhing wall of people in Al Pachino's office in 'The Devils Advocate' i think i see them moving.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

What is this nonsense?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142406767

I am bidding NOW... wait.. the buttplate doesn't fit correctly. ITS RUINED

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mxlplx posted:

I think in the last picture it was resting on the edge but as he took it it slid along the sink and fell between the tub and the side of the sink. Guy probably just said "gently caress it".

Bathroom photo session = selling for drugs?

Bathroom photo session = I don't want my Mom to see.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

IF you want douchy, here's an even better auction with a wonderful blend of NASCAR-on-gun to spice it up:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146434721

OK, so the guy is selling two model 597s that are tarted up as Dale Earnhardt memorials. I'm sure being proper goons we can sit around and roll our eyes at that all day long. The reality is that I"m positive I could donate those for my range's monthly raffle and tickets would sell like hotcakes.

Then again, I am in North Carolina. Guns + NASCAR = awesome for a LOT of people down here.

At a staring bid of $300 they're over priced, but again not completely outside the realm of reason.

No, the douchy part is this, bolded emphasis is mine.

So basically take whatever the winning bid is and double it, because he's essentially holding two auctions in one here.

Please tell me this violates something in Gunbroker's EULA.

it seems like it would be a dutch auction then, but i see nothing saying price = for one.. or anything he is violating except the douche rule. This is like selling an xbox 360 BOX.

one thing i did see. Current entry:

quote:

Why don't you accept Discover cards?
(last updated on 11/5/2009 4:14:05 PM)

We accept Discover cards on our site with open arms. It is a pleasure to do business with such a competent company.

using the wayback machine it used to say:

quote:

Why don't you accept Discover cards?
(last updated on 5/31/2005 11:11:02 PM)
We used to accept Discover cards, but Discover sent us a letter giving no details but telling us that they were cancelling our Discover account. They probably do not like the fact that our name is GunBroker.com and that our Internet site deals with guns.

Discover is an extremely incompetant company to begin with. We had a long history of billing errors and other problems that were 100% Discover's fault, and we were considering dumping them anyhow.

:)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CC surcharges are forbidden by Visa and Mastercard, and the others 'discourage' them. Gas Stations get around this loophole saying that the advertised price is for CASH.. which is perfectly fine.

Its 'easier' for the merchant to say that all the prices are already adjusted for cash, rather then charge you 3% less then the price. I can speak from experience that for a small retailer to accept credit cards online with a merchant account, they can pay a percentage as well as a flat fee per month. Some places call it the 'cost of doing business' like electricity and stationary .. others pass that along to you.

Think of it like the ebay seller that charges you shipping, and the cost of the box, and the packing materials, and the gas to drive to the drop off point.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

im pissed i missed out on this one :
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144193862

what a steal. next time i should just bid everything i have from the start.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

clearly the funniest / saddest part is :

quote:

I am asking $2800.00 which is exactly what I paid for it.

:doh:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

hey, only what you see pal.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

i am, in fact, an ordaned minister. I am willing to hook up with an FFL holder for a 'old regular gun buyback' program.

gonna drop a GAWD BOMB on the milsurp SAY THANKYA!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

If i ever require a cane for walking in the future, you better believe it will contain a sword.

because, why the hell not ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

walrusman posted:

Just for the novelty factor of never being able to fly or enter a government building while ambulatory ever again?

As a recipient of the medal of honor, I can bring anything I want, anywhere. Yes, congress awards them in chocolate.

Actually, a cane could have a metal component to it, like the tip, that would set off metal detectors. And I could care less if I ever fly anywhere.. because SWORD CANE!

or I can get a glock 7 sword cane, made of plastic so it can pass through metal detectors. And it costs more then you make in a year.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

# of bids 46

:(

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

pay him with the obama coins

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Wouldn't this depend on how that lower was registered ? once a pistol, always a pistol?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

*sigh* these rules are very confusing, even though I come across them all the time.

I guess I meant to say tax stamp for SBR (10.5" barrel, needs a stock) or pistol (short barrel, no stock allowed).. but once the receiver is transfered like a pistol, it can't be magically transfered as a long gun (sbr or otherwise)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The Architect posted:

Mishaco's biography?

Oh someone chop mishaco into that Rutger Hauer classic : Blind Fury

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

is that why it looks like poo poo ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I fell into a lake and froze when I was 32. They got me out recently, which could not have been too long as we are not living on the moon, or flying in jetpacks as popular science said we would be in the 80's

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

doesn't that stuff go for insane money? why would he sell it for $100 ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I was putting it in its simplest terms, hence the disclaimer about things being different for FFL/SOT types.

As far as your civilian, non-SOT collector is concerned it was effectively closed, which is the reason RDIAs cost $10.000 and not $100+$200tax

I compared DIAS vs an actual select fire selector. Sure the drop in is a very simple part of metal, but the machining of that proper pin notches is *really* that much different?

well, yeah, i guess the wider lower cutout, and extra holes drilled make it a bit different, but if it was still possible to own, the DIAS seems like a 'gimmick' and not something you want to control your full auto fun with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Information added :

I have more pics but this site is not picture friendly.

As opposed to all the other pictures everyone else, including YOU posted ? Maybe he means "I can't post pictures with my junk 'accidentally' reflected in a coffee pot"