Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me, or is that checker-and-dots pattern on the end of the slide nothing even remotely like square to the frame? It looks like the lines are all crooked.

It's not you. The engraving isn't square to the gun; look at the gap between the outermost line and the actual edge of the slide. It's particularly noticeable on the left side, where it's much thinner near the top of the flats than at the bottom, and around the barrel, where the gap at the bottom is a bit thinner than the gap on top, and the left is a bit bigger than the right.

Besides this, the engraving isn't even square to itself; notice the row of checkers just below the barrel, where the slide turns in to surround the guide rod? It's higher on one side (and the outline dips lower on the same side, which makes it particularly egregious). The checkering isn't even; some of the "squares" are distinctly more rectangular than others.

The whole gun is full of inconsistencies like this, really. Look at the top outline in the last picture - it angles slightly upwards. Some of the scrollwork touches the panel edges tangentially, some of it is just lopped off a bit, and some of it breaks the line a little (you can see this in the leftmost curl on that bottom picture, and in the row running down the forward part of the slide, in pictures 2 and 6). There's an obvious nod to the rose motif in pictures 7 and 8, on the slide stop pin, but the cross doesn't index properly; it would have been better to leave it off. The edges of the main, full-length line of scrollwork aren't even straight, I think (picture 8).

If you guys want to see what good engraving looks like, I have a book here full of it, compiled by the late Marco Nobili. I sold my scanner a few months back (cross-country move) and haven't replaced it, but I should be able to take some pictures of the pages at the very least. It will have to wait, though; I've just made myself late for work. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you really trying to get into a prolixity measuring contest with me?

I'll whip that poo poo out. Right here.

Lay it right on the table.

We've all seen it. Some here like it, some despise it, and I think some even fear it.

I just don't think we want to go there.

I am reminded of the old joke about the navigator and the torpedo. Please be careful with that prolixity, Cyrano!

( I am one of the "in awe of Cyrano's prolixity" crowd, for the record. )

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Maybe it's supposed to be the kind of gift you give an AR15-owning friend to poke a little fun at him, if you're one of those "should've stayed with the mighty 30-cals" partisans? Offer it as a book of targets, or perhaps a hunting manual?

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

thermobollocks posted:

Hand-cranked Gatling type guns aren't machine guns by the NFA. You have no excuse.

Y'know, that's just awesome enough (and Cyrano is awesome enough)...

Someone more experienced than I am will have to do the logistics, but if we start a collection to buy Cyrano a hand-cranked Gatling-esque firearm for Christmas (or even Christmas next year), I will pledge 10*:10bux: towards that worthy goal. Maybe one of these?

If we somehow raise enough pledges so that we can get him the Gardner or one of these, I will pledge 10*:20bux:.

Afterthought: the Tactical Innovations kit does not count. If it's going to be rimfire, it needs lots of barrels spinning around.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

gently caress me, I am never going to find one of these for less then $rape

Do consecutive pairs really matter that much to people?

How high would you go? If you're willing to split them up like LifeSizePotato suggests, I might be interested in taking the second off your hands.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Just bought a house. So not that high at all.

Congratulations, fellow recent-home-purchaser!

I'd be scraping reserve funds too, and might be able to go up to "nice Python money", but I guess it isn't meant to be. You can't say it wouldn't be a lot of fun once you recovered enough to buy ammo again.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

A bubba bubbifies something, committing a bubbatrocity and producing an abubbination.

Edit: A bubba family reunion to work on all those old rifles great-Grandpa brought back from the war? That's a Bubbacaust.

Yond Cassius fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 7, 2012

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Akion posted:

God dammit. If I didn't have to pay my taxes :(

Haha, I'll just get in line behind you on the "Gun money going to Uncle Sam" club. How bad are yours?

The thing I'm reminding myself to keep from jamming the bid button is that the AT-84 series is mostly finished from raw parts provided by Tanfoglio (much the way that Springfield Armory finishes their nicer guns from Imbel forgings), not an all-Swiss-from-the-ground-up gun the way the later Sphinxes are.

I have a Sphinx 2000 I would photograph and post, but crazy-trade-for-gold guy has done that one way more than I could ever justify. ( He's also asking a ridiculous price. The Sphinx 3000 is a $2500+ gun, easy, but you can get decent 2000s for just a bit under $1000 if you're willing to wait a bit. )

Yond Cassius fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 28, 2012

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Akion posted:

Estimated around $750. Really doing them this weekend, been moving.

drat being young, single and having a job. :(

What about you?

Mine's close to $2800. I took advantage of a (well-advised) tax deferral back in 2010, and it's time to pay the piper.

Fortunately I have a good stock of reloading supplies, so it shouldn't eat my ammo money for the year too.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Maybe if you hit the Powerball you can go to Peter Hofer and commission something that will make three barrels look like a kid's first Cricket.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

spankmeister posted:

I would not be happy if a funfling is the result of a fun fling.

What are you talking about? I'd be proud as hell if my fun fling gave me a funfling.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Headcase Fargone posted:

This all sounds awfully familiar. I heard a similar story from an exec at another, smaller but still national bank when I was in the mortgage industry. He claims they were threatened with being audited out of business if they didn't take the money.

Pretty much every bank that didn't actually go under has tried to sell this story.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Shima Honnou posted:

Because if they said they bought it from China for like $5 they wouldn't be able to charge $85 for it.

It's a misunderstanding really. The guy he bought it from said it was from the Da Kau factory, but his accent was thick and the phone connection was not very good.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Disappointingly, that's about what the US Mint sells 1-oz Silver Eagles for. I trust the US Mint a bit more than "some dude on the Internet minting bullion rounds", but... there you are.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Oh, man, I wish there were better pictures of those Smiths. Cut-through-the-blue engraving like that is even less forgiving than regular engraving, so most of the time even really good engravers will turn out something that looks like it was done with an electropencil at a kitchen table. Once in a while, though, a master engraver will take on a project like that and knock it out of the park, and those are really gorgeous to see.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

These are far from masterfully engraved. It's like a step above those old pawn shop engraving jobs.

Yeah, it looks like that as I squint at more of the pictures. It's a shame; putting Robert Valade's name into Google pulls up some very good work (that is, admittedly, not cut through the blue - like I said doing that right is Hard Mode).

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

You'd think for a million bucks they could take pictures with "not a potato", or at least take it out of the glass case so it doesn't look like a YouTube camera-pointed-at-the-TV capture.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But they went and put the effort in to add “target practice at the range!” To the description!

A V-neck is a hilariously bad idea for that activity, too. Hot brass lands in the worst places if you don't cover up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I feel a bit funny resurrecting this thread, and it's not Gunbroker as such, but I feel like the "holy poo poo, wtf, collectors" factor on this has to be shared and I don't know where else it goes.

Yond Cassius fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 8, 2021