Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Thereís no way to lower your max bid once you enter that, right? Not talking about retracting a bid thatís in, just about that auto-bid feature. It seems kind of dumb that you canít and really discourages me from using that feature unless itís an auction thatíll be ending when I canít be around my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

Wait, what? You want to live bid?

Not particularly, but Iíd like to be able to change my mind on how much I want to spend if my account hasnít actually entered a bid that high into the auction yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

armorer posted:

I think the argument here is that I may be interested in 4 items in a given auction, and have a $2k spending limit, but expect that any of the items cound go for $800 or more. So if I set a few max bids on lots that are split up decently far apart, I could pay some attention to the auction without watching it like a hawk, and if one of my early bids won then I could retract or lower the max bid on a later item that hadn't come up yet. I could be completely inventing this use case, but I think that's the sort of thing that's being discussed here. It's not an unreasonable feature request really.

Basically either that, or if I put in a max bid of 1000 for something, and have second thoughts a day later that, hmmm, I donít want to spend more than 900 on this, while the bidding is still at 750. The bid hasnít been entered, thereís basically no reason to not let me adjust it down to 900.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Never enter a bid ceiling/max you arenít willing to pay. If you are having second thought about a bid, it shouldnít have been entered in the first place.

Sorry to sound curt, but people retracting and canceling bids is a problem in my eBay store.

I would absolutely see it being a problem if it was retracting an actual entered bid, that would be a dick move. I don't really see where there's a problem with changing my bid ceiling downwards, though, the only person who even knows what that is would be myself.

E:Like I said before, all it's doing is making me reluctant to actually use the feature because I'm concerned I may change my mind about how much I want to max out at after the fact.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Craptacular posted:

If it was a silent auction where there was a set period of time to submit a single bid, and then the highest bid won, letting you back out of your bid before the auction closed and everyone's bid was discovered would make sense. But in this case, your bid may have forced up someone else's autobid to be higher, so letting you out of your bid doesn't seem fair.

I'm not talking about backing out of an entered bid though. I'm talking about lowering the maximum setting on what my autobid can make. On their end, it's the same result if I entered the bid manually or had an autobid make it.

E:Basically what I'm talking about is a situation where there's a few days to go. I have a currently winning bid of 900 dollars, and my max bid is set to 1200. What would be nice would be to leave my current winning bid in and drop my max bid to 900 dollars. If that ends up being the winning bid, I still pay for the gun and buy it and all that. In the likely situation where someone bids more than 900 dollars, they now have the winning bid, good for them, but my account won't automatically bid more to beat them.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Whether you bid with fifteen minutes and one second to go, or one second, that bid is gonna sit there for fifteen minutes so it really doesnít make a difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

There's also the drag it out strategy where you post the smallest bid possible, delay the auction by another 15 minutes and do this into the night or all afternoon or whatever hoping to outlast the other guy if they aren't throwing big bids.

Doesnít putting in a max bid kind of break that since itíll keep auto bidding up to a limit? So even if the other guy went to bed, he still has the site outbidding you each time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

I've never done it to be clear, but I think when he throws a bid over the current, even if it doesn't exceed someone else's max bid it'll reset the clock. So your max is your max but if it resets the clock someone can push the bidding late and exceed your bid while you are asleep or whatever.

I'm not 100% on this but it doesn't say you have to exceed someone's max bid, just place a bid.

E: come to think of it I'm pretty drat sure I recently placed a bid under someone's max and it reset the clock.

Oh, it definitely resets the clock, as does their max bid setting making a bid, Iím just saying it takes some of the usefulness of trying to wear out the other bidder over a period of time.

I donít usually use the max bid feature unless itís an auction ending at a time where I canít be around my computer, just in case I change my mind about how much I want to spend, but itís very good for trying to get around people who try to do this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

gently caress, thatís fascinating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Simliarly, anything to look for buying bulk ammo on gunbroker? I need more 12ga and don't know a good way to reliably get it for cheap without getting involved in a bunch of auctions and accidentally buying 5x what I want.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

I would think that would be easier/cheaper but I guess ammo can be kind of scarce these days.

I live in NY- Iíve had to pay 10 bucks for 5 slugs in the last few weeks. I can do alright with birdshot but I havenít even found any buckshot in months.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

infrared35 posted:

I do trust my FFL; he's a coworker at my day job. But

Yeah... let me and my Ruger Mini 14 that took months to actually get tell you about how that can go.

Basically it took 5 months and a BAFTE nastygram before I actually got the goddamn thing.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

GB really needs a way to report auctions.

Like this poo poo.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876581015

That isn't the "zig zag" I was looking for.

Who the gently caress is buying bog standard women's shirts on GB? This isn't ebay.

But they went and put the effort in to add ďtarget practice at the range!Ē To the description!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

My big regret was putting in a bid limit on a KSG that I then immediately regretted. Luckily the auction didnít hit that but some idiot smashed their bids against my limit and put the price higher than I really wanted.