Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

random "to be shortly traded/sold" junk

This is what I want to hear about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm just not going to make a moral judgment on what anyone else faced with that problem does.

What kind of goon are you?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real funny part is that he wants $750 for it.

I love people who think they can add up the retail price they paid for all the accessories on something like that, throw in the base cost of the rifle, and call that the "value" and expect to get it.

It's beyond that. What's the current market value of a post-ban Chinese SKS? $200? He's got about $250 in accessories on there. $300 tops. So optimistically he could ask $450-$500 for it... but he still wouldn't get it because it's still just an SKS.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

HotCanadianChick posted:

e: it's also shameful that you, Cyrano, of all people, aren't properly researching your historical facts before making claims based largely on popular public perception. You of all people should know how easily historical fact gets distorted.

Maybe he reads Imprimis.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I haven't seen AR LMG uppers in a long time. Too bad they're made by Blackthorne.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Search Results: Kalifornia
Page 1 of 4 (Around 177 auctions found)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

drat, thought I had a good one.

quote:

Search Results: obama
Page 1 of 6 (Around 262 auctions found)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I'm no expert, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that that gun is newer than the '20s or '30s as that guy supposes.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Why? A Remington 700, chambered for .50 Beowulf?

Short range anti-materiel rifle? It'd be awesome in a counter-computer-hardware role.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Eskilstunna is more like it, am I rite?

Helloooooo, nurse.

Edit: What the butt?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 9, 2009

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

I think they this stock may have been constructed out of compressed, then varnished, horse poo poo.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124587339

Huh. Seller has a an F(1) rating.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

wilfoy posted:

HK mags are made of steel, so you get the same excellent performance as a $15 c-products magazine, but with the added bonuses of extra weight and the potential for rust.

And more dents and deformation when you drop them on hard surfaces.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Just seen in an auction listing:

quote:

Smoking and Nude Shopping Always Allowed; Now try that at a Mega Store!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Detective Thompson posted:

Heh, joke's on them. I just got back from Walmart After Hours. Tits and cigars everywhere.

Dude, I hope our new Super Walmart does this. I need a new place to hang out after work.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

EndofGoogle posted:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=133958752

Yours starting at $1,195.00, shipped right to your door without an FFL

Wow, that's awesome. Not only is the barrel free-floated, but the chamber is too! And I love the terms of the inspection period - no firing, no chambering of rounds, and no disassembly. But... if the gun has already been test fired, how would be know?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

EndofGoogle posted:

Speaking of wierd guns (or parts in this case), what the hell is this?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134577845

Slide safety on a HiPower ?

It's from an FEG.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

...and there are several on gunbroker for between $1000 and $1500.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

There was a guy on eBay named Victor Ravelo or something, and my wife and I would always look for his auctions because they looked like ESL-school rejects. They were pretty funny. And it seemed like he was fencing stolen goods because he always had a wide variety of electronics for sale and really vague descriptions about how he got the stuff which usually included some mention of how he got it from his uncle or brother. He was always saying things like, "C'om peoples buy!!!! my item!!! Komputer game have crispy colors, don't no nothing about this game but scary thing in here that make me blow my mouse!!!"

We were actually saving his auctions and compiling them. We need help.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Foehammer posted:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137793148

What a fantastic deal.

What the gently caress? It's the pinnacle of tactical, he's asking a thousand dollars for it, and he can't even get off his rear end and duracoat the magazine or the "serrated and sharp" Christmas-tree flash suppressor?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

a foolish pianist posted:

penultimate?

If only you would of paid attention.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

omgLerkHat! posted:

Yes, it means "More Ultimate"

For all intensive purposes, it means "totally loving ultimate."

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What they need is a backscatter X-ray that will take images with a high enough resolution to be able to read the serial number without ever opening the box.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naramyth posted:

Are you looking for a AMD-65? I might be selling mine.

List it in the classifieds thread.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I had a high-volume seller threaten to close my account for not leaving any feedback at all.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hotels and motels don't usually have cabinets with drawers in the bathrooms.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Small, non-major brand motels frequently do.

I categorically disavow all knowledge. I wasn't even in town that weekend, Senator.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Some day gunbroker will start charging for listings and it just won't be the same after that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never, ever trust a re-chamber that you don't know for a fact had the work done properly. Seriously, that's just asking for bad problems. A LOT of dumb shits out there think they can ream out a chamber and don't bother checking for stuff like proper headspacing or even proper internal dimensions.

A guy I know had an old Mauser rechambered for .300 Winchester Magnum but then he was afraid to fire it. I can't even imagine that that ever seemed like a good idea.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Angry Guacamole posted:

So, honest question along those lines... is buying stuff like this the firearm equivalent of $200 cables for $10,000 speakers, or do they actually work pretty well?

The slide stop (a $20 part) is pretty much a necessary upgrade to any Glock; it makes administrative handling of the pistol easier if nothing else (i.e. locking the slide open manually). The other stuff goes either way - the extended takedown bar might be good if you have trouble taking the thing apart, but it might make the gun more difficult to holster. The mag well makes sense if you're shooting a form of competition that would allow it.

So those aren't really fair comparisons. Even comparing optics in photography, most people can easily spot the difference in bokeh between photos taken with a $100 lens and a $1000 lens, even if they can't necessarily explain why they're different or what causes the effect.

In conclusion, audiophiles who would pay $33,000 for some speaker wire are crazy. You could almost buy a WA-2000 for that. And even though the WA-2000 is unnecessarily expensive, it would still be a much better use of money and you can at least articulate why it costs so much.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It wasn's a huge WTF moment, but when you're looking for good photos of M1 Super 90s, anything that is not relevant can catch you off guard.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148957455-

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

kuffs posted:

What kind of pics are you looking for? I own a lefty longbarrel.

Nothing specific; I was just daydreaming and/or planning future purchases.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

kuffs posted:

They're pretty bitchin. If it wasn't for the Benelli premium on parts, I'd have a tactilol config rolling. (My dad gave me the gun as an upgrade to the 870 I was using for trap)

Just shell out $50 for a used Speedfeed IV-S and pick up a used 18" barrel somewhere.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

kuffs posted:

I wish I could find one. Barrels for the lefty guns are different, as the part of the chamber opposite the ejection port is part of the barrel assembly.

Just buy the cheapest one you can find and cut it down.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Finally, I can build my own custom M1A.

Starting with the $1500 bare receiver.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What the fffff...

quote:

I just purchased this firearm and local law prohibits me from cleaning it until the date the auction ends.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I don't know, I think that's pretty tastefully done.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Schigolch posted:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=152080005

Boresighters: also useful as single-shot laser sights.

That's awesome. Someone might get a pretty good deal on that, but on the other hand they only sell for $300-$350 new.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

omgLerkHat! posted:

I'm probably wrong on this, but if that thing has a mid-length gas system and you have to chop a bunch of the barrel off, couldn't that cause cycling issues? I was under the impression that shorter barreled designs needed a shorter gas system so they have adequate gas pressure to cycle the action, hence why carbine length systems exist.

Yeah, but there's some margin of error there. You could probably cut a couple inches off without any noticeable loss in reliability. For example, carbine-length gas systems work fine whether you're running 10-. 14.5-, or 16-inch barrels with them. At the 10-inch end they can start to get a little finicky, and at the 16-inch end they can be a little rough on the action, but that's a huge range of functional barrel lengths.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

wilfoy posted:

You can't have anything immediately behind the trigger guard of an SKS because that would interfere with how you take the rifle apart.

Pfft. Taking an SKS apart is for cowards and anal-retentives. As long as you can spritz some brake cleaner into the firing pin channel you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Swedes and Norwegians are not the same, despite what may seem like overwhelming evidence in their shared preference for all white meals: potatoes, cream gravy, fish, bread, milk. Dik Browne, who draws the cartoon strip "Hagar the Horrible," put it best in a strip that begins with an Englishman telling Hagar, "I can't tell the difference between a Swede, a Dane or a Norwegian." Hagar knocks him off his stool, then explains: "Norwegians punch wise guys."

I wanted to just post the comic, but I couldn't find it anywhere.