Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Good one, I just forgot to mention it. We had good results with our thai eggplants this year.

Any squash, really. 99% of the zucchini I've ever grown has ended up stir fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mischief posted:

Any squash, really. 99% of the zucchini I've ever grown has ended up stir fried.

Hmm good idea. I've half-assed these in the past but should try again. A volunteer jelly melon took over my garden this year, so I need to keep working on my trellis system.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've decided to focus more on easy stirfry veg for next year's garden -- I like stuff that's easy to pick and fry. I'm in Georgia so most of them do well with our season length and heat. This year I had great luck with longbeans and thai chilis (+some other misc chilis). I didn't start my bittermelon early enough, but in going to make that a priority next year. I neglected my green onion but should give them another shot. I'd like some nonspicy chilis and might add some more beans. What else am I not thinking of?

Can you grow snow peas or brocollini?

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
creeping thyme is so so slow to grow and spread. I just seeded a fescue shade lawn in my yard, doesn't need mowing and no water once established, plus I'm going to let other already present ground covers squeeze in, like creeping charlie and wild strawberries. I have a little patch of creeping thyme and it's barely grown at all in the last six months, despite getting watered, fertilized. I'm keeping it, but I'd hate to have my whole yard be that, cuz any time it gets scratched up by a dog or scuffed by someone's foot it's going to take a year to fill in, whereas the fescue flops over and hides the bald patch

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you grow snow peas or brocollini?

Maybe! These are cold weather plants, right? That's something I don't have much practice with.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe! These are cold weather plants, right? That's something I don't have much practice with.

If you’re doing cold weather and want stuff for stir frying, why not just grow Chinese broccoli? It’s so very good. I also love just throwing mustard greens in right at the end for 10 seconds. Depending on your normal winter weather, you might get plenty of peas still this year too. You may need to start them someplace cool though? I’d check that there’s no an upper limit to temp for them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Probably more cool weather than cold weather, but yeah. Spring and fall garden plants in the SE from my understanding. If you are way up in the north Georgia mountains maybe summer too?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's cool weather now (It's early; probably the constant hurricanes). We probably won't have freezing temps for a few more weeks, but it's hard to say. I will probably need to get the seeds delivered and started pretty quickly.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Jhet posted:

If you’re doing cold weather and want stuff for stir frying, why not just grow Chinese broccoli? It’s so very good. I also love just throwing mustard greens in right at the end for 10 seconds. Depending on your normal winter weather, you might get plenty of peas still this year too. You may need to start them someplace cool though? I’d check that there’s no an upper limit to temp for them.

I didn't even think of that. Gai lan is not hard to grow if you have the weather and is ridiculously good with chinese sausage or pork.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have experience with harvesting & storing shampoo ginger? Wondering what the best way to try and go about it is - we have some in the backyard that we'd like to collect but not sure the best way to go about it, and I can't find any info online for how long this stuff will last or how best to keep it around long term - it's finally started to get a little bit cooler around here (N Central FL) and the stalks die off every fall and regrow in the spring

Does the juice itself from the cones last by itself? Am I better off immediately making shampoo with it (e.g. just it & some castille soap - will mixing it with the soap make it last longer?), can I freeze the cones, etc?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Have any of y’all had success growing peppers from cuttings? I’ve always done from seed, but earlier this year one of the dogs knocked a stem off of my reaper. I thought no way that thing takes root, but I covered the end in a little soil and sure enough now I have a second reaper. It’s not big enough this year but our winters are mild enough that I usually have success moving everything into the garage and winter them there.

Our growing season is long, but it sure would be nice to be able to get more plants from cuttings vs sprouting from seeds.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s definitely something you can do. You can stick them in water or rockwool easily, and supposedly even just in wet starter mix. Once they have nubbins on the cutting they just go in soil. Not all cuttings are the same, but Khang Starr did a video or two about taking cuttings and starting a new plant from them for better method and environment answers than I’m making. They can live in a warm garage when they are plants, but they need warmth and light to start and to root sufficiently.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mischief posted:

I didn't even think of that. Gai lan is not hard to grow if you have the weather and is ridiculously good with chinese sausage or pork.
Gai lan, even more than other similar greens like yu choy, has always been really feast or famine for me. Most of the time if it goes in around the right time and the weather isn't too uncooperative, I can just scatter some seed and get all the gai lan I want. Other times I get nothing but a couple of reedy shoots that want to bolt as soon as they clear the soil.

And speaking of feast or famine, the volunteer bitter melon vine still thinks it's bitter melon time:

I already have way more bitter melon in my freezer than I'll eat in the off season (I typically use one or maybe two fruit in a dish for two, and don't make bitter melon more than once a week) but they're the only thing in the garden that's showing no signs of slowing down.

But it's trying to be helpful. For example, here it is trying to help pick some of the crop of Thai bird chilis:

I swear bitter melons are the grabbiest vines in the world.

In other news, got a...I guess you'd call it a volunteer tomatillo that's decided just now to start producing fruit:

The plant started out as a volunteer in one of the raised beds. It was growing where the Japanese eggplants were going to go, so it got pulled up. As in I grabbed the stem near the base and just yanked the plant out of the ground. It ended up on pile of other stuff pulled up from the garden, where it decided to take root. My girlfriend noticed that it wasn't wilting or anything, so after a couple days she buried the exposed parts of the root ball. Haven't cared for it in any way, but now it's a couple feet tall and setting fruit. I'm skeptical about the fruit ever reaching maturity (for anyone who hasn't grown 'em, tomatillos grow a tomatillo-sized paper husk as soon as the flower is pollinated, and then they just sit there, empty, while you wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...). These guys will probably be ready around the start of November, assuming additional climate (or other) apocalypses don't intervene.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JRay88 posted:

Have any of y’all had success growing peppers from cuttings? I’ve always done from seed, but earlier this year one of the dogs knocked a stem off of my reaper. I thought no way that thing takes root, but I covered the end in a little soil and sure enough now I have a second reaper. It’s not big enough this year but our winters are mild enough that I usually have success moving everything into the garage and winter them there.

Our growing season is long, but it sure would be nice to be able to get more plants from cuttings vs sprouting from seeds.

I took some tomato and pepper cuttings and I'm trying it right now.

One quite large tomato cutting rooted within about 10 days and it is now in soil.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello gardeners! DIY Secret Santa signups are open! Please do not send Audrey 2 to your santees.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Zone six checking in. Looks like I'll be getting some more peppers this year! After the heat broke they started popping out new flowers and are actually budding into peppers. I also got three tomatoes growing on my giant tomato bush. Very disappointing results considering how big the bush is, but also kind of fun that we've got some tomatoes coming. In three weeks I get to get some raspberry bushes that need to get in the ground. Then it's on to building the trellises for my clematis plants and the espalier trees I'm getting hopefully this year.

My sweet potatoes have taken over one of my raised beds and the vines are pouring out. I'm excited for when the vines start to die because I think that's when it's time to harvest. I cannot wait to see how many sweet potatoes are under that ground. Probably not many since I got them in the ground pretty late at July 16th.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Sweet potatoes take forever to mature. In the meantime, eat the greens. They have a mild flavor much like baby spinach only slightly tougher. I use them in recipes as a substitute for spinach.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Something pretty exciting has happened. I left part of my lawn to naturally grow to see what would happen and today I checked it out to kill the volunteer trees and I found a volunteer tomato! It's got ~10 tomatoes on it and I'll be watching it daily to hopefully pluck a few tomatoes. Going to have to look daily as I'm surrounded by squirrels and they love to grab tomatoes.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It's increasingly looking like I'm gonna have over a dozen unripe tomatoes by the time the weather turns for good - but it turns out you can make salsa verde with green tomatoes instead of tomatillos, so it looks like that's the backup plan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

showbiz_liz posted:

It's increasingly looking like I'm gonna have over a dozen unripe tomatoes by the time the weather turns for good - but it turns out you can make salsa verde with green tomatoes instead of tomatillos, so it looks like that's the backup plan.

should be plan A

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CommonShore posted:

should be plan A

I'm just bummed because I got a total of six ripe tomatoes out of them this year. But they were plants that someone else gave me in July, and whoever planted them probably started them 2+ months too late for this climate. I'm planning to start some in January next year to put out in April.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm just bummed because I got a total of six ripe tomatoes out of them this year. But they were plants that someone else gave me in July, and whoever planted them probably started them 2+ months too late for this climate. I'm planning to start some in January next year to put out in April.

Ah that makes sense. I was imagining that you were in a situation like mine where you were looking at the stuff that came off the vines during teardown after other harvests.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The chow chow I made is fantastic, thanks to the person who posted theirs. if all my toms had come ripe i would be missing out. Turns out I like salt sugar and vinegar more than red toms.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jaded Burnout posted:

Good call. The sun as I drew it is coming from the South.

One thing that occurs to me: that looks like a west-facing glassed-in porch at the back of the house. I'd imagine that gets a lot of afternoon sun. Does it get super-hot in the summer?

If this is an issue, you could also think about planting a shade tree near the house. If it's deciduous, it'll give you shade in summer, but let the light through in the winter.

wooger posted:

Raised beds are only good for:
- Can look a bit neater, especially if there’s a boundary with a lawn.
- Saves your back when weeding etc. Especially if you go for ones 12”+ tall.
- Some pets will stay off a raised bed rather than messing with your veg.
- some pests are less likely to find their way into a raised bed.
- if you have really rocky ground with thin soil, a raised bed in top can improve it fast. Though you can just dump new soil / compost on the ground anyway.

There’s no benefit to plant growth, and the wooden sides can be a haven for slugs in the UK climate. I have a couple built this spring, probably wouldn’t bother if doing it again.

My understanding is that they also warm up faster in the spring, which can give plants a bit of a head start.

Re: alternative lawns, something quite popular around here is dwarf white clover.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

CancerCakes posted:

The chow chow I made is fantastic, thanks to the person who posted theirs. if all my toms had come ripe i would be missing out. Turns out I like salt sugar and vinegar more than red toms.

what's this? Cha Cha? I'm currently boiling down some almost but not quite ripe cherry tomatoes to make the second round of jam. The first round of cherry tomato jam didn't set right I don't know if it was too acidic or if I just in it add enough sugar. it's fun to find a use for tomatoes that haven't finished ripening when the frost hits, which is what we're getting right now in Vermont.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Sprue posted:

what's this? Cha Cha?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/southern-chow-chow-8347449

It's a Southern relish. Excellent on pretty much anything - particularly a boiled red dog with chili, diced white onion, cole slaw, chow chow... One of my favorite race tracks in VA, Martinsville, is famous for them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

"Winter Gardening in the Maritime Northwest" by Binda Colebrook is the classic for our area. It's been a while since I read it though and it's probably getting a bit dated. Not sure if it's even in print anymore.

Shoutout for this book. I have a copy from the 1977 printing now, and while the typesetting on an IBM Selectric is hilarious to read in this age, it contains a ton of great information on how to time plantings with things to look for and expect to happen.

There’s an especially useful winter gardening calendar in here that will prove to be very useful. And right after that pages and pages of information on the various veggies and herbs and how they grow here. Screw the internet and it’s inaccurate information, this is a great collection of information that I wouldn’t have found otherwise.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

One thing that occurs to me: that looks like a west-facing glassed-in porch at the back of the house. I'd imagine that gets a lot of afternoon sun. Does it get super-hot in the summer?

If this is an issue, you could also think about planting a shade tree near the house. If it's deciduous, it'll give you shade in summer, but let the light through in the winter.

It's NW facing, and while it does get a lot of direct sunlight (there's skylights too and everything gets UV tanned/faded) it's not too bad for heat, I guess because the area inside is a large tiled floor, and I can open like 6m of bifold doors. By the time the sun is around and really kicking poo poo through the windows, it's starting to dip below the trees. I'll probably just put in some decent window coverings for summer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spotted as suggested tomato hornworm control in a fb pepper growing group I'm in:

NOPE

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

spotted as suggested tomato hornworm control in a fb pepper growing group I'm in:

NOPE

You know, I probably wouldn't make this myself but if someone put it in front of me I'd definitely try it.

I have a beekeeper friend who once ate a live bee grub in front of me and offered me one. Now that's where I draw the line, at least in a non-survival situation.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I mean... If they're a pest anyways and you can make them somewhat palatable, then why not take advantage of a lovely situation? I'd maybe make them more saucy and pretend they're just prawns.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm pretty much open to this stuff (I think I ate a live mealworm once just to see), but that photo is freaking me out. I think it's the legs. And the patterning.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The fried version actually looks alright:

Like little crinkle cut caterpillars

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
damnit, turning bug protein into people food is why we have avian livestock! which works just as well for vegans as carnivores, really.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GrAviTy84 posted:

NOPE

And I actually like chapulines, but this is not something I think I’d like. Tho the hornworms are fried and probably crispy enough. They’re likely gooey inside and :gonk:

I’d probably make this for a tegu on its birthday or something, but I probably wouldn’t fry any of it. Maybe air fry it? You never know with human cooking strategies/additives when feeding herps.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish I liked the idea of eating grubs, because ethically and practically it makes so much sense. I throw my hornworms into the woods for something else to eat though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If I was feeding anything hornworms I’d be buying them rather than collecting because gently caress feeding your animals pesticides or parasites

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've never had hornworm, but gusanos de maguey (the white maguey caterpillars) and chilocuiles (the red ones) both end up tasting mostly like whatever they're seasoned with plus a sorta sour umami note. The gusanos de maguey have always tasted more strongly in the times I've had them, but they seem to always be prepared differently, so I don't know how much is the grub and how much is the dish.

The just-taste-like-the-seasonings thing is even more true of the non-grub insect food chapulines. The ones fried or roasted in chili powder are the sort of thing most people would just munch on without thinking about it if they didn't know ahead of time that they were grasshoppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So far my wildflower seed experiments in growth have failed. The outside birds and ants just scoop up whatever I have out. Tried a few indoors, and in the tiny shallow cups they sprout, grow, then keel over because the soil isn't deep enough? So I made up some buckets inside, with full light and daily/thrice daily mistings, and a week later, nothing.

Okay maybe I don't start with seeds then. How about a pot of sage, or some succulents? There's still time in AZ for it to be fall (I mean poo poo we are in the 100's for a while) but I get conflicting info about tilling the soil, using manure, etc. Hell there's pages arguing about having pots for cactus or planting them right in the ground. I'd like to be armed with some poo poo before I head to Lowes.