Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I have a small container garden on my patio and I won’t be able to water it for about three days in August. This is in the desert - it’s in the triple digits every day. The tomatoes each get a liter or two of water a day, a little less for the chilies and a little less than that for the basil.

Should I put each container in a dish of water for it to soak up when I can’t water them? I don’t think it would be enough for four days and I’m worried about root rot.

There’s a spigot on the patio - should I get a sprinkler (with a timer? do they make those?) and set all the plants around it like they worship the water-giving hose?

Any ideas appreciated - thanks in advance.

Edit: They do indeed make mechanical timers for a sprinkler/spigot. If anyone has experience with a cheapish unit that actually turns the water off I’m all ears.

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

bengy81 posted:

They cheap one from Lowes is fine, I've used one for years, think I have to change the batteries every two or three seasons.

Heners_UK posted:

Here's the product category from Melnor with lots of timer options. Recently I've found Rain Bird irrigation systems and piping at Lowes (Canada)/Amazon.ca

This is really helpful - thanks!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Before the thread title changes: Pumpkins.

I think it was someone in this thread who said their rotten pumpkins seemed to grow better than cleaned seeds. This was a mini pumpkin that rotted a bit so I put it in dirt.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Schmeichy posted:

Yeah, if you start now you can have a yard full of pumpkins

Life goals.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Park seed wasn’t joking when they said superior germination rate. How and how much should I thin this wildflower mix?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I have volunteer mini-pumpkin plants in buckets. Do they want to climb?

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

You can ABSOLUTELY train them on a trellis! In the before times, I saw an amazing example of this at the state fair where minipumpkins had been trained on an arch trellis into a tunnel. It was really cool looking and I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

Awesome - I’ll figure something out for them to climb. Thank you!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thank you for all the ideas! I am all for a pumpkin yard takeover. I’ll think about pumpkin hammock options for if/when they fruit.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Pumpkin season lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

This is amazing I had no idea gardeners could grow so many flowers like that. I’ve only seen that many at once on big farms.