Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Quick dumb question
The weather has finally stabilized here and my little green house is overflowing with plants to be transplanted. The only problem is we are expecting rain for the next week straight. Should I plant tomorrow or wait until the rain stops next week to plant. Or will all the rain be good for the little guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In typical MD weather fashion the forecast changed and I spent the last few day furiously planting things before the rains came. Now there won't be rain for another few days.

I had a bunch of potatoes in planter bags I stuck in the ground today they were getting too big for the bags. I got some bonus baby potatoes that shook out of the roots when I was getting them out of the bags. Did a quick bake on them with some olive oil salt and pepper to have with dinner tonight A+ can't wait for more of those little fuckers to grow in.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Look at these drat potatoes!

These were all grown from grocery store potatoes that we let sprout. Up until a few days ago they were in 5 gal grow bags. They've shot up at least 6 inches since I transplanted them.

I've also went on a spree and pulled 3 of those paper garden waste sacks worth of ivy and other poo poo from behind the chain link fence. There must have been some poison ivy or something mixed in with it I've got some kinda rash up and down my arms. Trying like crazy not to scratch at it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My neighbors have a huge mulberry tree that is constantly dropping berries.
I decided I should make use of them this year.
Spent about 10 minutes picking up berries while weeding.

Not enough for jam yet but maybe just enough for ice cream:btroll:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can eat the pansies as well.
Toss the flowers in a salad if you're feeling fancy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What sort of gourd/squash is this?
I didn't plant it I thought it was a weed at first but I decided to let it go when it started to flower and now it's growing this.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This was a tiny mint plant last year now it's huge!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's up with these tomatoes?

The two that are affected seem to be both Cherokee purple plants all of the other tomato plants look fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It started on lower branches a few days ago I pruned them off hoping to nip it in the bud so to speak. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull them out and destroy them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I took a look at my sickly tomato plants this morning and they looked normal.
Now in the afternoon they are sad looking again.
Maybe it's just under/ over watering?

We got a poo poo ton of rain last night. More supposed to be on the way this afternoon.

I'll still do the trim a branch in the water test to check for anything fungal or whatever.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Does beer attract snails like it does slugs?
I've always heard about that being the one weird trick to getting rid of slugs.
Maybe try that?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's been hovering around 100 here for the past week everything seems to be doing fine.

Some of the broccoli and radishes started flowering so I am just letting them do their thing free seed!

Some of the romaine planted from grocery store romaine butts started flowering too but we've gotten 3-4 months of cut and come again off of them so they did pretty good considering they were what most people consider trash to begin with.
Planted another line of lettuces to grow again to carry us through fall.

My sickly tomatoes from early on pulled through after I went bonzai on them.
I've got all this volunteer butter nut squash growing maybe squirrles planted it for me? There are 3 plants in different parts of the garden I didn't plant lots of flowers and baby gourds coming in so they get to stay. Threw one on the grill the other day while grilling some steaks and it was really nice.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pawpaw maybe?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pawpaw tastes like a banana with B.O.
People like to make ice cream with them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The oppressive heat has backed off enough that my broccoli is actually growing florets now instead of just growing leaves and seeds.

:3:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My luffa gourd is finally starting to grow gourds instead of just pretty flowers.
There's about 10 of them now with more flowers growing everyday.
I might never have to buy a sponge ever again.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My Thai neighbor gave me some beautiful long rear end beans.

I gave her some butternut squash and young luffa gourds she was going to cook the luffa with chili paste.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

She told me the red ones are sweeter than the green ones.

We're letting some go to seed so we can save them and plant them next year.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Produce boxes can be covered in a waxy coating probably rule them out.
Banana boxes are usually not coated but the top and bottom are open so they don't have as much cardboard as a normal box with top and bottom flaps.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Compost pile turning day.

https://i.imgur.com/cnSX4Ru.gifv

Always nice to see it working.

I just have an old rolling trash bin I drilled holes in for a compost bin but I got irrationally excited over the winter when I looked out the window and saw steam coming out the holes.
I felt like I truly accomplished something for one in my life.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The romanesco I planted last year mostly survived the winter and finally started producing heads.

About half of them died off I'll put some more seeds in this year and just know I may not get anything off of them until next spring.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just pulled these guys I missed last year out of the dirt.

Looks like dinner tonight.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Re: saving tomato seeds you have to ferment them before you can dry and save them.

I did it with some store bought kumoto tomatoes last year and stuck some in a pot with some coir not expecting much a few weeks ago and they are sprouting up fine and look like they will be healthy baby plants.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah it was more of a way of testing the method for future seed saving endeavors.
If they don't produce any fruits or something different I'm OK with it. We'll see what happens.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The asparagus seeds I put in last year(!) are just now starting to sprout. I thought they were dead and gave up on them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Feeling pretty proud of all these tomato plants I grew from seed.

Thanks to whoever suggested doing a Florida weave for supporting them it's working great and I can get in-between each row to trim as opposed to the tomato jungle I had last year.

There's 4 or 5 "volunteer" plants scattered around the in the bed and other parts of the yard as well.

Made a soaker hose by taking a hammer and nail to a length of old lovely garden hose. Watering is a breeze now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I made candied habaneros once and tear gassed myself in the process so if you do that be safer than I was.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can roast radishes like potatoes too.
Toss with oil, salt, pepper and into a hot oven.
They become like little spicy potatoes and soften up a bit.
Might be an option for less than optimal radishes you just want to use up

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have some fennel(herb) that survived winter and started flowering so I'm just letting it do its thing I'm gonna have so much seed the plant is like 6 ft tall at this point.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Place I used to work at we made a peach leaf ice cream.

It was nice vaguely almond-y.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pumpkin season comes even if you never planted pumpkins.

Plus there's about 5 or 6 more just starting to grow on the vine.

I did not plant this plant I have no idea what type of pumpkins these are.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Re: brown tips on trees were you in an area that had the brood X cicadas this year?

All the trees around here are all looking super hosed up after the swarm came through. They lay their eggs in the young tree branches that then die and fall off onto the ground where they crawl into it and sleep for 17 years.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pumpkin report

Got 7 or 8 little guys growing and it's still flowering everyday.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have a trader joes nearby look in the dumpster they throw out tons of the black plastic pots the fresh flowers get shipped in.

I mean I guess you could ask the employees if they would save them for you but:effort:

e: have a spider bro for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I grew a lot of lettuce and celery from veggie butts at the start of the pandemic.
The celery is still growing but it's noticeably more bitter than the original celery.
The lettuce is all dead now.