Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is there a houseplant/indoor container gardening thread that isn’t the bonsai thread or hydroponics? You guys seem more about outdoor/vegetable stuff and my windowsill basil/thyme/parsley plots in currently-repurposed bonsai training pots don’t really sound like they cut the mustard.

I want to share all of my obnoxious millennial succulents and tropicals (a buncha my succulents are flowering :3: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Looks like somebody’s about to kick off a late-start gazpacho summer

or an odyssey of grilled pizzas and bruschetta

maybe you’re gonna make a bunch of bloody marys from scratch

there’s no such thing as “extra tomatoes” if you have your culinary priorities right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sockser posted:

I planted too many cherry tomatoes and not enough regular tomatoes and now I am suffering for my folly

Also, I left my tomatoes alone for a bit too long and weaving them through the trellis got away from me

https://twitter.com/RottenTunaGames/status/1291761401917300737?s=20

just let them fall into your gutter and rot up there it will be fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I don't have a miniature donkey. My friends' parents run a donkey rescue and have foster donkeys, which include miniatures. I gave them a play house a few years ago to get it out of my yard and they are happy to give me as much donkey poop and straw bedding as I'm willing to haul away. It's unclear who was doing the favour for whom in either case.

then get your friend to send you a pic of the miniature donkey that pooped your compost, Jesus Christ dude

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SubG posted:

Looks like about two dozen are going to come ripe around the same time. I see a lot of goya champuru in my future.

Nah dude, GOYA’s been cancelled. Remember?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

8 more quarts ready for puttin up. This was only two days of harvest. I think I'm in trouble.

gaz👏🏼pa👏🏼cho👏🏼

Edit: also I found this:

Fresh Tomato Bloody Mary

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 13, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

I have Japanese quail because they are quieter and smaller than chickens and take a lot less space, and mature faster. They live in small open-bottom coops I pull around the yard to new spots about once a week. They are currently in the shadiest spot of the yard because heat wave. One coop is 2X4ft and has 4 quail, the other is 2X6ft and has 5 (4 hens and 1 rooster), and each is 1 foot tall (any taller and they may startle and flush upward and break their necks). My quail are "jumbo" meaning their eggs are 12-15g instead of 9-10g, so about 4-5 quail eggs per chicken egg. As meat birds, they are 4-5oz dressed (again, a bit bigger than standard size quail).. They take 6-8 weeks to reach egg-laying age and about 8 weeks to butchering size, and live a few years though egg production is greatest in the first 1-2 years. We hatch our own eggs, which takes 2.5 weeks and a $70 incubator off of Amazon, and then 8 weeks later butcher that batch unless we are replacing any of the laying birds. We are currently getting 55-56 eggs a week, equivalent to 12-14 chicken eggs.

When I was in 7th grade, one of my classmates used his allowance money and his farmer grandfather’s supply catalog to order 500 baby quail to his parents’ house. Oh boy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mischief posted:

I don't mean to be ignorant but we treat milkweed like a weed around here. The only people that I know growing it have butterfly farms.

Why in the world?

You hit it in your post. Various species of butterfly depend on milkweed for food. Most notably, monarch butterflies are wholly dependent on milkweed for sustenance. I should also note that monarchs remain quite endangered, and in some areas messing with or removing wild/cultivated milkweed can net you a fine. It’s also a lovely thing to do.

People plant it to attract butterflies and support butterfly populations, both local and migratory.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

poeticoddity posted:

You can't just drop that and not tell us how it was resolved.

His grandfather made room for most of them on his farm and took them. IIRC his parents held onto like 10 of them and raised them up for a season. IDK what happened after, we stopped being friends in 8th grade and then went to different high schools. Also tens of quail died, I believe, in the initial upheaval and from being kept in relatively small quarters (their basement) for a few days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah ours took a few years to get started, it keeps coming back stronger each year

Honestly this is probably pretty normal for quail, they like to kill themselves at the best of times.

Breaking their necks jumping, drowning in a millimeter of water, just having a heart attack...

IIRC one of the bigger problems was birds pecking each other to death and eating each other in the first like 24 hours between them showing up and an adequate response to their arrival being implemented by some very confused and upset adults. Keep in mind that this was like 2002, so it's not like today2019 where seventh graders text their parents about dinner plans from school and you can order a bag of baby quail feed and some heat lights and poo poo from your phone and get them delivered the next morning while you focus on putting a big wire pen together. And suburban CT does have farm supply stores, but they're not exactly commonplace and neither was poultry keeping at that point.

Like his parents had to get home from work, meet the quail, process and understand what was happening, come up with a solution, probably talk to the grandfather at some point, and then do poo poo like build an adequate enough enclosure for the birds and feed them and so forth. And these birds were at most a few days old, so they have to eat and poo poo constantly and they're always cold and yeah there was a big die off. Wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately lost at least a fifth of the birds that way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Real talk: at some point in the future I'd love to keep small livestock like this. I have been fishing exactly once and have never hunted or otherwise killed a non-bug animal. So... what's that part of keeping birds/rabbits/etc like? How do you even learn how to do it correctly/humanely?

I personally don’t think you can keep meat rabbits humanely at a home farm-scale- by which I mean that keeping rabbits at the scale where you would be happy slaughtering them for meat requires really compromising on their wellbeing (and commercial operations don’t even try to pretend to be humane, but that can be said about virtually all factory farming).

If you really want to do optimally by rabbits you have like four maximum, and you raise them like house rabbits. But the minute you start keeping 10+ you’re putting them in hutches and then you may as well have a chicken coop, which much better suits those space/time/labor constraints.

Guinea pigs on the other hand, hell you can keep a whole herd of those fuckers and they’re about as interesting and smart as rabbits are—but good luck getting Americans more comfortable with killing and eating guineas than rabbits.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Is there a lawn mower / lawn tractor thread anywhere on SA?

the only resource you need:

https://youtu.be/EdGgo8cELGA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The trick to really ugly grow lights that aren’t in a tent or whatever is to run them really early in the morning, you start them at like 5 and they’re done running between 9am and noon depending on what you’re lighting, why, and how much natural sun you can get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Sorry to drop in but I would like a small bit of advice if I may. I got an AeroGarden because I have no space for anything larger and I love my basil.
Well the Genovese basil is in need of a trim but it’s way, way, too heavy. About 8% of the leaves are 4 biggies at the top of a long stalk. I know one is only supposed to trim above the leaf “nodes” and to not take any more than 1/3 of the plant. Concerned that I may damage the plant if I remove the top. If I don’t remove the top those big leaves will continue to shade the small number of little ones at the bottom.
Photo:
Let it go a few more days? Trim? Thanks for any help.

Count two nodes up from the bottom and cut past there. Also you can very easily propagate those cuttings in water for replanting, if you’re not planning to just eat them now, and double your basil (and your fun).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is there anything to propogating basil beyond letting your trimmings root in water?

Not that I know of. Maybe change the water daily to prevent bacteria from killing your propagates.

I know some people use rooting hormone and put them straight in sterile soil but that’s a lotta :effort: for me, and water seems to be more foolproof and successful based on word of mouth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
merge the cc weedthread with the plant threads

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Bonsai is growing a potted tree, that’s it. What else is so radically different about it that would keep other houseplant owners from learning? You have to optimize soil, lighting, water, fertilizer like every other plant.

My point is that there’s enough similarity between Houseplants that we can share info and techniques and learn from one another. There’s not enough activity to warrant a separate thread for each branch of horticulture. The bonsai thread gets what, 3-4 posts a week?

Personally, I don’t think the bonsai thread should be merged. If anything, the mood is different enough, and if the complaint is that bonsai thread moves too slowly then every bonsai post/question/picture would get buried by unrelated posts.

Plus a lot of bonsai “rules” are kind of antithetical to good conventional horticulture, and vice versa. I don’t really want to have to wade through a bunch of well-meaning “your pot is too small” or “why did you rough up that sapling so much?” comments.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Plastic is made from oil which is made from rotted animals, sorry. The plants turn into coal.

petroleum can also be made of plants. Probably mostly plants, or algae.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 27, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Bonsai aren’t even houseplants. They are occasionally displayed indoors for short periods of time, but that’s it. They need to experience the passage of seasons out-of-doors or their health will decline.

fighting words in the ficus/jade/portulocaria scene

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PI gets really angry when you feed pitcher plants I'd advise against that but I'd love to see your carnivorous plants

lol, do they really? do they get mad at the herping thread too, and just not post in it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ficus is the one true exception.

It’s fighting words to use “bonsai” in the same sentence as succulents.

Bonsai aren’t even my thing so I’m sorry if I’m playing the part of an offended traditionalist wrong. Great scot! Is that aluminum wire?

a lot of bonsai pros would consider jades more legitimate than ficus

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
bonsai fight! bonsai fight! bonsai fight! :munch:

-all your trees are from Home Depot!

-your “broom style” juniper looks like a shrub!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Electoral Surgery posted:

Is there anything I can do for this raspberry bush? I planted two starts at the end of April, they did well through the spring but collapsed and got roasted through the summer. They've stopped getting worse but I'm doubtful that they will recover enough to grow berries next year. I underestimated the space the raspberries would need when I started the garden. I have some fall/winter stuff I could plant in that space if the raspberries are never going to be happy...

A bunch of my neighbors have happy bushes in full sun, so I didn't expect them to get so fried.

loving water them. We've got a bunch more weeks of pre-fall temps and bright days. As long as they're alive they'll try to grow and do plant poo poo. You can probably nurse them through a seasonal dormancy by watering and fertilizing them very stringently now (maybe next time do shade cloth/shade boxes if you're not gonna water the bejeezus out of them? (maybe do irrigation, if you're into that)) and pampering them through the incoming seasonal transitions. Get them ready to do a lot of growth in 2021, but yeah don't be surprised if they aren't ready to grow berries for a year or two.

Or replace them with something else you want, IDK. You are their god and master.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Gardening: 24/7 Pepperchat: Peppers really bring that hybrid vigor!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Any other suggestions for a gently caress ton of green onions?

Never a bad time to experiment with different styles of ramen and noodle and/or soup dish

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JRay88 posted:

This right here. Onion and hot pepper elevate cheap ramen to a whole nother level.

You could also cook them down and make some sour cream dip.

Package ramen is scrub-tier for poverty diet. Buy bulk noodles & babby’s first basic broth is veggie or meat broth+mirin+hon tsuyu+soy sauce+garlic clove, most miso broths/soups work quite well too.

Soft boil an egg or two, pop on some tasty kippers or sardines or smoked salmon or chicken or pork (katsu is dead easy, but I like to cheat with oven-reheated Popeye’s because I’m a lazy rear end), scallion, bok choy, sweet corn from a can, maybe melt in some cheddar cheese, and you got yourself a gourmet lunch for cheap that’s easy to precook/make in a microwave.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I make scratch ramen sometimes. I haven't for a while. Maybe I'll buckle down and make like 10 packages of noodles this weekend for something to do and individually wrap and freeze them.

Gonna chop some onions up into some packaged ramen right now though with a poached egg instead of a soft boiled one because it's 1% the work for 85% as good.

Oh yeah, gently caress putting effort into eggs unless you got someone you need to impress. 99% of the eggs I make for ramen topping are like: crack two eggs into like 2” of water in a mug/Pyrex cup, into the microwave for ~70 sec.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

spotted as suggested tomato hornworm control in a fb pepper growing group I'm in:

NOPE

And I actually like chapulines, but this is not something I think I’d like. Tho the hornworms are fried and probably crispy enough. They’re likely gooey inside and :gonk:

I’d probably make this for a tegu on its birthday or something, but I probably wouldn’t fry any of it. Maybe air fry it? You never know with human cooking strategies/additives when feeding herps.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If I was feeding anything hornworms I’d be buying them rather than collecting because gently caress feeding your animals pesticides or parasites

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Advice from bonsai-world (and also houseplant world):

If you want a big, mature tree to get (aesthetic/fruit-based) value out of in relatively short order, and one that will have the constitution and stability to survive the often topsy-turvy world of moving/replanting/repotting/noob mistakes/sub-optimal living environment/etc, then start with a big(ger), (more) mature tree and go from there.

Or, to quote a YouTube video on monstera I saw the other day: “you wanna grow a giant, start with a giant.”

Not only will you spend literally years doting on your sapling to get it to maturity, but you’ll also have years-worth of opportunities to kill it, stunt its growth, or otherwise gently caress up its establishment process.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jhet posted:

The room itself has a forced air vent from the furnace in it, and is staying above 70F and from 60-70% humidity so far without any additional help. I may add a heating mat or two to keep the temp more constant in the bottom of the plants when we get further into winter, but I don't expect it to be all that cold in that room. I may add some extra reflective insulation above the lights, but maybe not.

Oh my god, you could grow so much cool poo poo in that space and make it look stunning.

I’m looking at grow tents for wintering some of my tropicals and I would loving love a space like that. I’m jealous.

With bright light/constant heat/60+% humidity you could reflower orchids and poo poo there. Keep dwarf mango trees. Grow giant-rear end monstera and bushy, red, crotons/etc. Make ficuses look perfect and toss out aerials.

Peppers are cool tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Hoo boy, it finally got cold enough to bring my plants in and as this is the first year I've been really into gardening, I was not prepared! Every window is crammed full and I still have more to find places for.

I have an old IKEA IVAR loaded up with houseplants stuck in front of a window. So many propagates I’ve produced during quarantine...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Earth posted:

Finally found the before photo so here are my before and after photos of my garden:

Before:

After:
1)

2)

We started this transformation in February of this year and should be completely finished in December (fingers crossed). From the before photo you can see we had to take out that tree. We took it out entirely ourselves and dug up the roots by hand when needed. I didn't want to spend any money on that tree since a couple of quotes to get it taken out and the roots dug up were in the $2-4k range. Our taking it out by ourselves was ~$180. We ended up spending about $100 for an electric pole saw and chainsaw oil, about $40 for three months of yard waste pick up, and about $40 for yard containers.

From there we started putting in the garden. First thing to go in was the grape arch. You can see it right center of the photo next to the garage; it's hard to see since all the leaves are off. It was made with a cattle panel that is sandwiched between four t-posts. That was about $150 I'd guess for the cattle panel, the posts, and post pounder. You can see six tubes coming out of the ground. Those are in two bunches of three. Inside one group of three is raspberries, and the other has blueberries. I found the tube in the ditch abandoned so that was totally free except for the work of getting it cut up and dug in. Along the garage you can see I have two tree trellis boxes. One closer to the house has the fabled apple tree I bought for $325 ($300 with tax) that everyone here had a blast making fun of me for. The box that tree is in is about 7 feet tall and about 7 feet wide. The other one is for the pear tree I hope to find. That trellis is a little bigger at about 8' by about 8'. I like pears more so I wanted the bigger spot for the pears. About $250 for the wood and hardware for the tree boxes. Then there's the raised beds. Being on a slope I wanted pretty tall raised beds. There are three 3'x5'x2', one 3'x6'x2', and one 3'x7'x2'. I do not recall the exact costs for those, but I can say they are all made with 2"x8" cedar from Mendard's and I probably spent about $1400 on the wood for that. Filled them up with compost and top soil 40/60 mix. The soil and truck rentals probably cost me ~$200. Not seen is the two more trellises I'm going to make. I had another cattle panel and that was cut up to be a couple of trellises next to the house. Also not seen is we took out two bushes that I didn't like and were part of the yard waste pick up cost.

So all together a lot of work in my free time and about $2500 so far has brought me this garden. I'm pretty pleased with it so far and hope to get lots out of it next year. This year we were able to get several baskets of tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumber, and peppers. Next year we won't be planting any squash or zucchini as those attracted squash bugs and a raccoon or opossum. Next year we are planning on getting the grapes/raspberries/blueberries/apples from the already planted items, and we want to plant strawberries, onions, bell peppers, peas, carrots, and spinach. And anything else that fancies us.

where is the bonsai bench?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Gardening: SA Cottagecore Ground Zero

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vortmax posted:

There's a hard freeze coming over the next two nights, and while my big boy tomato plant is going to die (after I harvested every tomat bigger than a golf ball), I dug up the tiny cherry tomato plant and put it in a big ol pot indoors. Here's hoping it will still provide fruit!

You didn't try taking a cutting from the big boy?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I know :smith: but on the other hand

HERE WE GO MATERRR HERE WE GO clap clap

Grow lights are hella cheap dude. Get a clip on fixture or desk lamp or whatever and a $9 GE LED bulb (or $27 for hi power) and don't be a stunad

lights are the single best investment I've made in the wellbeing and aesthetics of my indoor plants

my roommate's kinda annoyed about it but gently caress him my plants are BEAUTIFUL

and make some sauce with some of the red boys you harvested

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I live in a legal state so if I wanna talk about growing weed responsibly and within the parameters of the law I'll talk about growing weed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Avoid the grow bulbs if you can, they don’t provide much coverage.

I have a Spider Farmer light and some Barrina grow lights that cost 1/8 as much .. if I were to do it again, I’d just get a bunch of the barrina lights. They provide so much more coverage and the output is enough to tinge my succulents red. The Spider Farmer is way overkill, I can’t go above 50% without my succulents turning bright red.

Yeah, in terms of output it goes:

Grow bulbs

T5 and Led tubes

Spider Farmer, etc lights

I’m fixing to put some more cost effective and photon-emitting T5 lights in my plant shelves, but the grow bulbs are also good if you’re limited in space, you’ve got fixtures you want to use, you’ve only got a plant or two, you’re augmenting window light, and/or you have the thing set up in your living room.

Spider farmer lights are for putting in a grow room/tent, they’re not really compatible in a living space.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

? I have grow lights, but those arent my tomatoes and I think they would be bummed if I harvest their tomatoes. I was just cheering on a perinneal pal who maybe doesnt know about lights or cant afford them or whatever other reason :)

whoops I guess I quoted the wrong person, but hopefully vortmax is clever enough to figure out that I was referring to them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
vortmax post the toiletpropagate the tomatoes you coward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jhet posted:

It sounds like you two need to go irrationally start some new growing projects in your bathroom or closet or something. Microgreens, radishes, random sprouting ginger piece, left over whites from grocery store green onions, or maybe start some long beans to grow around a support structure that you decorate like a christmas tree, but use LEDs so each of the leaves gets random light from all over (this idea is only half terrible).

There's no such thing as too many plants in your house...?

Did you see my post in horticulture thread?