Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My squash and cukes get powdery mildew something fierce. I discovered a pretty easy and effective solution this year.

Cut off all leaves that show powdery mildew. There's no saving them, and allowing it to continue growing will just let it spread further
mix 1 tbsp baking soda in 1 gallon of water. Add just a drop of dish soap (helps solution adhere to leaves).
:siren: Warning: Test spray a single leaf on each plant and wait a day to see how the plants react to your home brew anti-fungal spray :siren:
Spray all leaves, including the underside. Spray the leaves when they won't be getting direct sunlight, but early enough that they will be dry before night. This should avoid burning the leaves, without leaving them wet overnight.
This spray should dry to leave a small amount of baking soda evenly dispersed across the foliage, providing an alkaline environment, which is not conducive to spore germination.
Re-apply on a weekly or fortnightly basis, and after any time it rains (it washes off really easily)

I got on top of the nefarious powder really early this year, and this spray has kept it mostly off my plants since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Is it okay to ask questions about houseplants in this thread? I live in Seattle and want to liven up my townhouse with some plants. I also plan on adopting a dog shortly (I know some plants are not dog-safe) What plants should I be looking for? They won't exactly get lots of sunlight outside of late spring and summer. We have a large living room window/nook facing the east, and a rooftop patio on the west side of the house (I'd like to grow plants up there as well) Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's real hard to kill a spider plant. They're a great starter houseplant. Don't buy more than one though, as they are super duper easy to clone. I started with one about 10 years ago, and now I have so many that I'm getting grief over my cloning habit, and both my wife's office and my office are full of them. We've given a pile away to all our co-workers too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have heard from several sources that specifically cedar wood mulch will kill your plants, or basically anything with roots under it. Received old time wisdom is that cedar is poison for your garden. Great for footpaths that you don't ever want anything to grow in though.

Truth or old wives' tale? What say ye goons?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks Fitzy and Fozzy. Guess I should remain sceptical of these pearls of wisdom.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's what I was faced with, as far as "the garden" goes, when we moved in to this place. The back corner is completely filled with trailing blackberry, to a height of over 6 feet. The rest is a constant war for sunlight between cherry tree shoots, and white flowered morning glories. There is one hardy lavender still growing through the wire, and I try to strip the vines off it. I tried digging some new ground, and it turns to rock pretty much right under the sod. Ok, container garden it is then!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mischief posted:

Where did you find that trellis netting? I bought a boatload of stuff identical to it off AliExpress a few years ago and it is nowhere to be found all of a sudden. I'm growing a lot of running squash this year and will probably run out of the netting and haven't been able to find it except in crazy overpriced little 10 feet sections on Amazon.

The stuff I bought was fresh off the boat from China, was dirt cheap, completely UV stable, and has been amazing but it's almost impossible to reuse. Typing that makes me wonder how much of that big plastic island in the Pacific I've caused.

I think I got it at Canadian tire, maybe home hardware? Try whatever your local hardware store is. You could try sections of game fencing for a bit longer lasting solution. I seem to recall the fences around elk farms having squares about the same size.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Are you based in the lower mainland of BC? Because invasive morning glory and blackberry plus soil full of rocks the second you put a spade in it sounds like every garden I've ever encountered here.
Close, I'm on Vancouver Island.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 9, 2018

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've actually got a couple raised bed planters in those photos! Onions in one, and a couple rows each of carrots and beets, with a handful of cabbage in the big one. Onions are tall, but the others are tiny sprouts.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Apparently some berries can be poisonous if unripe. I'm not sure if this applies to anything else, but it's still something to be aware of.

Monstera deliciosa fruit. Gotta let that stuff ripen on the vine for iirc 12-18months. Unripe fruit and the rest of the plant is full of oxalic acid or calcium oxalate, can't remember which.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Question for Hexigrammus:
What do you plant after harvesting garlic? I ask you specifically because we're in the same area (roughly speaking. I'm in Courtenay). I feel like when I yank the garlic out, I'm just wasting valuable growing space in prime growing weather if I don't plant something there, but I don't know what would grow quick enough to be harvestable before winter. Any suggestions? I didn't pm this because I thought it might be useful information for others.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Lots of helpful info.
Thanks for that. Cheers!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Have any of y'all grown golden pearl berries before? Rolling the dice and going to try them in pots this year.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of them before, but saw them when I was ordering tomato seeds. I figure why not try something new, and hope my daughter will eat them.

Re: peas in containers, I grow them as a first crop in one of those long planters you might see hung on a fence or railing. It came with the place I rent, and I've got it sat along the edge of the patio. I hung up netting along the length. Once the peas are ready to harvest, the plants get chopped up and mixed into the soil, then I put in the cucumber plants (started earlier indoors). Seems to work quite well.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I am attempting to rehab my raised bed, after learning the hard way why you put landscaping cloth beffore filling. It ended up choked with what I am confident is either plum or douglas fir roots. Does anyone know if I need to remove all the roots, or can I just chop them up, and leave them in the soil? I'm shovelling it all out onto a tarp, and have some landscaping cloth to line the bed. Do I really need to sift it all too?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I managed to get the raised bed all dug out, and most of the roots removed. It was completely root bound. My wife even found a largish (about 2x my thumb diameter) root, which travelled just under the sod for about 10 feet outside the plum tree's drip line. Came up under the bed and choked it right out.

All filled back in now.
I think I may have started tomatoes too early though. We are still getting freezing temps overnight, and the plants are like 2ft tall already

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 6, 2020

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Prune those motherfuckers and/or bury as much of the stalk as possible when you transplant.

That's the plan. I don't mind if they stretch out, or slow down growing for now. They're indeterminate cherries, so I'm pinching off the suckers, and they're going in pots on the patio when the temps are high enough. I always bury them up to the first set of leaves. I also just sprouted some more of the same seeds, so I'll have some backups if these ones crap out.

Faves would be tidy treat, but I can't find them again.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That looks like some fine garlic!

Check these guys out:
Golden pearls

One of those tomatoes I was told to prune earlier.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:ohdear: Oh no. Mint is an invasive plant and impossible to get rid of, but mint doesn't have spike vines. You may have a blackberry patch now, my friend.

I feel like I owe you a direct apology. During my ranting about pruning tomatoes, I was coming from the perspective of cutting overgrown plants back and not about growing from seed or starter. It's a big loving difference, and I should have caught it. The good news is that is a very healthy plant and it'll probably explode if you give it a bigger pot.

It's all good. No hard feelings, and the tomatoes are doing great in the biggest pots I have. I'm trying string supports for the first time this year.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's everyone's favorite trellis method for pole beans and peas?

I was originally thinking just a simple frame out of garden stakes and scrap wood I've got, then each bean or pea gets it's own line of twine from the top of the frame down to the ground.

But then I wasn't sure if the beans and/peas prefer a more grid-like trellis? Room to branch out sideways a bit, maybe be more productive?

I've got a little while before I have to get one in there, peas are maybe 4"-6" tall, and the beans maybe just slightly shorter.

I've got long railing planters sat on the edge of the patio, and strung up trellis netting. Peas work really well in there, and when they finish up, I follow them with cucumbers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I saw something yesterday, which I thought the garden goons would appreciate. A hummingbird flew up and took a drink from the lavender and rosemary plants. I had no idea they could sip from such tiny flowers! The bees have been loving thosse flowers, but it amazed me to see a hummingbird do the same.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody have tricks for acidifying potting mix? Mrs. Chiller came back from a provisioning run with a couple blueberry plants and regular potting mix. I've attempted to cobble together something to keep them alive. We used some old bricks from a poorly constructed bed we tore off the front of the house, and a couple old tires to make kind of large pots/ beds. I heard evergreen needles will eventually help acidify, and we have a few massive Douglas firs, so I mixed a bunch of needles in with the potting mix, and whatever I could scroung up of old soil from out front, to fill out the beds. I've given a light dusting of sulfur, and dug it in around the plants, and put a thick layer of fir needles down as mulch. Fingers crossed they live. Everything I've read says don't fertilize for the first year, just let it grow roots and get established, so I've held off on adding anything else.
If I'm worried, could I add a bit of vinegar to the watering can?
Please share your general blueberry tips.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey great! Thanks for the info. I've got a bunch of vinegar, and have already added some garden sulfur for long term. Once it's time to feed, I've got ammonium sulphate, and some miracle gro for evergreens and acid loving plants.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Unfortunately the price of rough cedar locally has gone through the roof recently so I won't be building anymore of these. Don't quite understand what's going on because the last few years of summer drought have killed off a lot of cedar in the local woods and you'd think there would be an effort to get it out before a fire comes along and leaves us looking like Paradise (California).

Loggers on the island have been on strike this year, so that probably put a big dent in the supply. I'm not sure if it's still going on , but my union sent a bunch of emails talking about what to do if your employer wants you to cross the picket line.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can't go wrong with fully enclosed cage (make sure to bury the floor a good 3 or 4 feet down)

Edit to add an actual queston for Hexigrammus : Are those golden pearl berry plants winter hardy in our area? They're currently turning into monsters, and I had to move one pot off the patio so I could put support lines on it, and stop it tipping over in the breeze. We've eaten a few handfuls of the fruit. I like them, a sort of tiny, really sweet cherry tomato.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2020

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cross posting with the plants in general thread
Heyoh, heads up! Saw the announcement about a new rotating subforum generally about outdoors, rather than just hiking, and I started a gardening thread, in the hopes of maybe attracting more people growing things that might not see this or the plants in general thread.
Come post there too
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933097
Edit:

Shine posted:

I posted this some time back:

In case it's relevant for anyone else, we ended up getting an 18 gallon tumbler, and it's going well! Only took a few weeks to break down all the fruit/veggie scraps, leaves and cardboard boxes we stuffed in there. We're gonna bag it and start a second batch.

That's great! The worms are ok in the vegas heat? Or did I read that wrong, and you're running a tumbling composter?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 18, 2020

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I had a passing thought: If any Canadian goons would like some cosmos seeds, I'm collecting a pile from our flower bed. I'd be happy to mail out some envelopes of seeds to whoever wants them in the fall. Send me a pm or email my user name @ google's email service. Sorry USA/other folks, but international mail / concerns about sending seeds across borders is a bit too much hassle for some flowers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Not that i want to take a turn at being a naysayer and I'm admittedly really tired... but wasn't there a big lawsuit this year involving shitloads of the glyphosate research being fraudulant?

Here's an interview with lead counsel about the case, as a starting point to learn more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5H36B1tJE

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Quiet feet, my thyme plants have also fallen under the domain of the bees. Mostly honeybees on the thyme. The various species of bumblebee have taken over the cosmos bed, and the whole lawn (probably 1/3 clover, 1/3 dandelion, 1/3 various grasses, yarrow, and mosses).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Motronic posted:

Current USDA guidance is to cook them down a bit, put in a couple tablespoons per quart of lemon juice (to bring up the acid level), hot pack and then process with pressure or water canning. Pressure canning at 15 PSI is 10-15 minutes. Not sure what water bath is, but I bet it's like 30.

I grew up open canning tomatoes, as I learned from my depression era grandmother. I stopped doing that for safety reasons :)

Please forgive my confusion, it's early morning. Do you mean for food safety reasons, or for your own safety while processing? I'm having trouble seeing what you've referred to as unsafe.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

^^I ask a lot of new questions too they're totally fine and the people who know like to help :) :justpost:

If anyone can't find nasturtium seeds next year holla. I asked a friend to pick me up a pack with 8 flowers (I meant to break apart and plant in pots) and they got me 8 packs and I put them in garden beds instead and now I think I'm going to collect a thousand seeds?? It was shocking to see how much space they are willing to take up. This is two plants lazily collected worth. Between this, my poppy flowers and winged gourds I'll never run out of seeds of things I dont need but I fuggin love hoarding seeds. Does anyone here trade seeds?

I'd trade some seeds with you. Where abouts are you located? I'm on Vancouver Island. You can grow nasturtium as micro greens, if you have a big surplus of seeds too! I've got a few big ziplocs I'm filling of mixed pansies, mixed poppies, and mixed cosmos. I'd also be up for trading jade starters or leaves, african violet cuttings, monstera cuttings, or spider plants (if for some reason, you don't already have 8000 of the prolific things)

Hexi, as another anecdote: those golden pearls will severely outcompete cherry tomatoes. I planted one of each in a large raised planter, and the golden pearls choked the tomato until I chopped the golden pearl bush down. Totally stunted the tomato, compared to one that got its own, much smaller, pot.
Next year, they are each going in their own pot, on the lawn. If they want to try competing with clover, yarrow, grass, and dandelions, let's see what we get.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm like 75% likely to get a hive so being popular with bees might be a bonus.

May I suggest mixing in some yarrow and clover? The yarrow in my yard stays nice and soft on the feet, and a lush green long after the grass dries and gets tough to walk on in bare feet. Same with clover, and that has a bonus for bees. Nobody around here waters lawns, lest we look like the kind of person who wastes water during a drought.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

i am harry posted:

LED indoor lights:

I’ve got a 1000w vivosun, and a 1200w king

Both ~$100-120. King has blue and red wavelength switches that can be turned on and off separately, vivosun has a 4 step dimming dial.

Both seem fine, my plants are happy under the king with just the blue switch on at the moment.
I don’t think it makes too much difference what you get unless you’re looking to churn out lots of weed.

wait, hold on a minute here.

Do those lights actually draw 1 to 1.2kW ? or are they the light equivalent to a thousand Watt HPS, or whatever?

I'm imagining a 1200W LED to pretty much be hellishly intense.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok, that seems more reasonable.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've not read the thread since spring, maybe midsummer, but here's a little video about a little bit of attempting to save some things indoors from the garden over winter. Also, a video message to Hexigrammus on Vancouver Island about Solanum villosum.https://youtu.be/WBepQX1CUeM

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hoping that by keeping it in water, I can prevent this mint from taking over.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aragosta posted:

I've got mine in a pot to keep it separate. This is Mint Piggy.

hehehehehehe Mint Piggy.
A pot, and gravel separating from other soils looks like a good idea.
tbh, I wouldn't mind if mint decided to take a run at taking on the hyper aggressive invasives around here.
Does it have what it takes to defeat Himalayan blackberry AND morning glory?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you have excess fresh dill, it is an excellent addition to pickles! Try baby carrots.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well, last year was the first time I've tried growing pole beans. I've always grown bush beans, but decided to try something new. Oh wow, I've been missing out. Scarlet runners turned out so well with nice foliage to shade the patio, and beautiful flowers, and plentiful big beans.
This year I managed to start a whole bunch more from beans I saved.
I'm very pleased with myself over this, and wanted to crow a bit.
Also, the potatoes I threw in the raised beds 3 years ago sprouted in the middle of a bunch of volunteer garlic.
Looks like it might be a productive summer.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey folks, I just noticed some tiny bugs crawling all over this tall flower head. I thought they were baby spiders, but upon closer inspection, I think they may be baby ladybugs. Can anyone here tell for sure?

https://youtu.be/sBcXMdrIrWE

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks. Cool. I don't expect them inside. No carpet here, and I'm happy to have little pollinators doing their thing.

Edit: I do have a couple heavy shedding cats though!

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, hawks are probably better to have around than lynx and bobcats.

Vvvvv top them or train horizontal, I guess?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 12, 2023