Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey all. this thread, and well hellworld, has made me decide to start learning how to garden! My mother in law is ecstatic, since shes been trying to get me to start for years. I now have a bunch of herb seedlings and some bags of carrot and scallion seeds.

So uh, Ive got my seedlings outside getting some sun, but I realize I have no clue how often or how much im supposed to water them. The above post about drowning plants was what made me stop lurking, so whats the deal? Should I be adding water every day? Wait till the soil is dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Do those of you growing coriander/cilantro manage to get a good "cut and come again" system going with it? If so, what's the trick?

When I've tried in the past I've just gotten a single harvest and then it gives up or bolts. Compared to other herbs it seemed to give a really low yield to me.

I was just watching a youtube on this that specifically mentions that cilantro is a poor spring planting crop if you have a short spring because the temperature spike into summer makes it bolt really quickly, and to instead plant it late summer and get many more harvests in the fall. I have no idea if its true, but I heard it on the internet!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Help gardening thread. I have 7 pots of onions, carrots, and herbs in 12” and 18” containers. Ive never grown anything before and I have no idea how often and much I should water the pots?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone got experience with young onion sprouts? The ones I have seem healthy, but one at a time a single leaf blade seems to just die and fall over and pretty much rot off over a weeks time, other new shoots keep coming up, but at the same time one always seems to be on its way out.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SubG posted:

Have you pulled any out to look at the roots and/or bulbs (assuming it's a bulb-forming onion)? Onions are generally hearty and the things that cause wilt are usually pests of various sorts (nematodes, fungi, and so on) attacking the roots/bulb. If the greens are turning pale or yellow and then dying from the tip down, it might be something like this.

That said, if they're bunching onions or something like that it might just be normal life cycle for the onions. I usually have several types of alliums going, and it's not unusual for all of the, for example, bunching shallots to suddenly decide to have a bunch of their greens brown at the tip and then just go about their business later. Usually due to a change in the weather or something like that.

Edit: that's a terrible snipe. Earlier someone was asking what bitter melons are, so here have a bitter melon:

CommonShore posted:

I just took a walk through a community garden and I noticed something:

Lots of plots with Chinese names had insanely nice garlic and onions, and in most cases they were digging trenches and planting in those:

From this picture if you look in closely you'll see the yellowish blades lieing on the ground on most of those onions, which looks just like mine so maybe its normal lifecycle stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is there a general yard care thread?

I couldn't see one on quick glance, so here goes. I've got a steep ledge/hill on the side of my yard that grows all manner of junk every year. It is a total pain in the rear end to keep from becoming infested with weeds and bugs. Last year a landscaper said that he could put enough mulch on it to keep it manageable, but that didn't work and just cost me a ton in mulch.

The embankment is to steep to mow, and to large to really hand weed effectively. So this year I'm considering using roundup on the whole loving thing to try to keep it under control. Only problem is my wife is vetoing it pretty hard due to the whole cancer thing.

Is the concern of the product more with risk during application, or from contact with it during the following months? Does it run-off? We have two toddlers that wont be playing on the hill at this age, but my wife is still worried they will come in contact with it.

I've got plenty of construction grade PPE to keep me safe during application if that's more the concern, but I can't really find anything on the internet that delineates the risks that I can show my wife.

My only other thought is to cover the whole hill in ugly rear end blue tarps and murder it with solar power for a year or two and then mulch over it after a couple years once I've killed al the seeds in the ground.