Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I'm planning to start a garden next weekend, but I have a black thumb, and way more space than I'm used to! Also, I live in the desert, and the last 36 frost is supposed to be next week, according to those charts linked above, so hopefully I'm not too late. But the set up at the house I moved into is just too good not to try!

I've got a large terrace with several built in planters, about 2'x4', and room to build a few of the square-foot garden containers, as well, but I'm not sure I'll do that this year. (I don't own any tools anyway) But maybe some containers for veggies that can handle them? I also have a front porch that is shaded and I'd like something on that. But I don't really know where to start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

HeatherChandler posted:

You are only too late really for peas and carrots. Peas I know stop producing when its above 75ish, so they need to be in early.

Relax, you have a long growing season, enjoy it. The timing and getting a jump start headache is for those of us that only have a few months warm enough to grow warm weather crops. Although, if next year you want to plan ahead you can have even longer.

How deep are the containers you have? Are they 2x 4 each? If so that is a bit of space, depending on how much soil it holds. You can do tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, lettuce, radishes, green beans--they even have small varieties of eggplant for containers if they are deep enough. All you have to do is dump some good soil in. The catch is that the smaller the area the more watering they need, especially somewhere hot. Twice every day sometimes (I'd wager a guess most days in the desert)--just keep it in mind.

Greens and beans will tolerate some shade--in the desert they might even be better off. They still need some sun though.

I should probably mention that if you have a terrace and not a lot of vegetation/flowers around you should plant some window boxes or pots with some bee/butterfly attracting flowers, need the pollinators.

Thanks for all the advice. I took a closer look today, and it looks like I have one planter that is about 1x6, one that is 2x4 and one that is a weird corner thing. They look about 2 feet deep. These are each against a wall, and partly shaded by a roof, but I think they get full sun for several hours a day still. I also have a very large flat area in full sun--about 12x30 of brick terrace, and then much more that is covered with small stones, but level enough to put containers on I think. I am going to draw a diagram and take it to the garden center next weekend. This is on the east side of my house, so it's shaded by the wall in the afternoon, but my front balcony is lit up right now. I have tons of usable space, it's just a matter of getting things into it, and then not killing them.

We get a lot of sun here in the summer, so I think that will be ok. And I will just have to build it into my schedule to water morning and night. I am hoping to do most of those veggies listed and some herbs. I'll ask about flowers to attract pollinators, too.

I am not looking forward to digging the old, mystery soil out of the built in planters next Saturday!