Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Heads up: If you're looking for stuff to compost or even just good stuff to mix into your soil to give more nitrogen, Starbucks and most other coffee shops will happily give you their used coffee grounds free for the asking. Coffee grounds are AMAZING for plants, I throw a trash bag or so into my compost every so often and I am going to have more tomatoes and zucchini than I have any idea what to do with.

It is a good problem to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

madlilnerd posted:

And you know who's not very fond of coffee? The slugs! That was one of the tricks that actually worked a little last year. Starbucks in England prebag their used grounds and stick a label on saying "grounds for your garden"... I always feel like I'm stealing though when I walk out of there with a bag full!

This wasn't one of those, they hadn't divvied it up into the garden bags yet. THey'd had a hell of a busy day, it was a trash bag FULL - like a kitchen size trash bag. They had to bag it three times to make sure it didn't burst under its own weight and I had to really muscle it into my car. I was stoked because god drat a billion pounds of coffee grounds and they were stoked because they didn't have to piss about with the garden bags. EVERYBODY WINS oh god what i am going to put all these tomato plants in

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Hello!

I have some weird discoloration on my tomato leaves. The label reads 'Juliet Tomato - Roma Grape' and some of the plants are showing beige-light brown discoloration between veins on the upper surface of the leaf. The discoloration is uniform in color with no obvious necrosis or other distinction on the edge of the affected area, and veins that run through discolored patches seem to be unaffected. Corresponding areas on the underside of the leaf are very slightly discolored and are slightly shinier than unaffected areas.

Pictures:

Upper surface of leaf
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2NDy1pLjjrkhZoou0J-lug?feat=directlink

Underside of leaf
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Gpk6ELx2oHumFhvcyJRUDQ?feat=directlink

The dark patches near the tip of the leaf on the underside are simply where light is shining through the leaf, there isn't much discoloration on the underside. I've tried googling for tomato diseases and found some decent sites, but nothing seems to really match what I'm seeing. The plants are watered every other day, weather lately has been mostly sunny with occasional damp days, 60-75 Fahrenheit. Am I overwatering? Is there a disease? Please help me :(

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Marchegiana posted:

Looks like damage from vegetable leafminers, unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do to kill them outright other than applying a broad-spectrum insecticide. There's not much organically that would control them, since they burrow between the surfaces of the leaves foliar sprays won't touch them. Best bet would be to try to control them by removing and destroying any obviously affected leaves, and cross your fingers. (Oh, and as a side note, don't buy any more plants from whatever greenhouse you got those at, as these pests have probably infected their whole greenhouse).

Ffffffffff. Is this likely to completely screw over the plant?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Marchegiana posted:

It's hard to say, depends on how severe the infestation is and how lucky you get. If you're vigilant in picking off the affected foliage the plant could bounce back, but it could also affect the eventual fruit yield as well. If that sounds like a lot of work/too much of a gamble, then it's early enough in the season to just scrap those plants and buy new ones.

Hrm. It hasn't spread to all the plants yet, so I'll keep the affected leaves picked off and set those plants away from the others. Googling around wound up with a suggestion that neem oil can interrupt the lifecycle of the parasite and possibly repels future infection, so I will experiment with that and report back on the results.

Edit: All my tomato plants are affected. gently caress

nobody buy anything from the lowe's in yorktown, VA

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 4, 2010