Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
My father works for a seed company, and has a degree in something like ....forestry?. We've had a large garden every year since I've been born (I'm 19). Located in central Pennsylvania between fields, a tree nursery and state game lands we have 8 acres of wonderful soil which was mainly used horse pastures until we sold the horses. Our gardens remain less then an acre but have given us copious amounts of food over the years.

Some of the things we grow or have grown over the years are (in no particular order)... corn, green beans, sugar & nap peas, limabeans, e:spinach, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, onions, watermelon, squash pumpkins, horse radish, asparagus, a variety of peppers, red & white grapes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, over 8 species of apples & a variety of pears, peaches, plums, cherries and nuts and a bunch of herbs (my mom takes care of the herbs and flowers)... I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out...

Blueberries don't really like our soil...
If you want to see cherries you have to net the trees off from birds...
Watermelons are hit-or-miss year-to-year...
Squirrels eat the walnuts if you don't get them first (but the filberts are tastier)...

Other then that I can't think of any failures...
I'll post pics this season if I remember (someones welcome to PM and remind me)

e:remembered some stuff

Onta vasa fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
^^^^
Thanks, we've done ph tests and whatnot but I don't think my dad likes them enough to care and I'm off at college.

And for foe birds, I think we may have at one point, but we just always had cherry tree nets, so it was simple enough.

My dad like growing and taking care of stuff more then picking and using it... It might be a shame how much we lose, but it doesn't go to waste. We feed deer and all sorts of other animals.

Going up in the country, I guess... I've always just taking it all for granted.