Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would only worry about wilting if it's in the morning or at night when it isn't still hot outside. I'm not an expert on peppers, but daytime wilting is normal even with the right amount of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish I could walk in my yard barefoot. We have lots of clover, but the problem isn't bees--it's the stupid Chinese holly bushes the previous owner planted everywhere. I rent the place, so I can't just chop them. The landlord doesn't want them removed either, so oh well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love plant and food history.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, all I'll need is several years' worth of manure and I, too, can eat a pineapple.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I actually go outside at night and kill snails and slugs myself. I also kill aphids with my fingers.

Obviously not practical for large-scale problems, but I prefer it to spreading pesticides.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bronsonite posted:

It's the end of the season here and I'm getting the garden ready for winter. I've read from sources like the Farmers Almanac that you should pull tomatoes, beans, and peppers to reduce the chance of spreading disease but I can't find any information about pulling the roots from a university. Is pulling roots something that I should be doing as a preventive measure or just an old folk tale?

Leaving the roots in is good for aerating the soil, I think.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Could you fit a 2ft fluorescent fixture in that cabinet? Those are really easy to work with.

If not, you could try compact fluorescents or LEDs. A heat mat is definitely nice to have.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

extravadanza posted:

My alma mater puts out great free PDFs on various topics for home gardeners.

https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/yardandgarden/gardening-bulletins/

Some/All information may not apply to climates dramatically different from the Midwest.

Yeah, this is good advice. Check with your local colleges and/or extension office. They're a public service and provide free locally catered educational material.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well you don't really have to do anything with a rental house, but..

You could build hugelkultur beds maybe? Rake the sticks and leaves into the woods? Build a bigger compost pile? Burn them?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can still grow stuff in an apartment!

(Admittedly these are not vegetables aside from the seed tray at the bottom)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The germination rate can go down with time. Some seeds keep better than others. Keeping them refrigerated helps to keep them fresh, but you need to be careful of mold. Pepper seeds aren't hard to come by, so you might just want to put them in an envelope somewhere dark and dry.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think heating pads can do more than 5-10 degrees above the ambient temperature. They don't get very hot. If you're willing to spend money on a heat lamp, maybe you could just buy a grow light instead. They can put out a good bit of heat, and you get the added benefit of extra light.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

I tried to grow some green beans in a pot last year, and they grew like crazy (overgrowing their little trellis and attempting to eat my roommate's bike) until it hit ~90 degrees, and then immediately dropped dead. Is there anything I can do to stop that second part from happening this year?

How moist was the soil at the time? Was there anything around that might have amplified the heat (like a wall)?

I think they should be able to tolerate 90 degrees, but only if the soil is adequately moist. Potted plants also heat up faster than in-ground ones, especially if the pot is black.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not sure what kind of tree that is but I know it grows leaves and blooms :shrug:.

I think it's a redbud. Those look like its bean pods still hanging from the branches. Are the blooms pink and the leaves heart-shaped?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can always just pull up or transplant things if it gets too crowded. Sometimes stuff dies and it's nice to have a backup.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

This year's project. This used to be a huge pile of rubble about 1/8 acre large. The upper area will be seating and the lower "walled" in area will have veggies on either side of the path. Still working out the logistics of irrigating it.

I want to be there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sir Bedevere posted:

Another thing to consider regarding putting beds up against a building is the extra heat. Measuring with thermometers and a temp gun I've noticed my south wall/deck can get 50 degrees Celsius hotter than the ambient temperature. I don't have enough experience to say if that would cook your plants or not, but it seems like some sort of danger zone.

This is true. I have a garden bed beneath a cinder block wall and it nukes plants on 100 degree days.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My backyard has an encroaching bamboo infestation from a nearby park, so I have a bountiful supply of free stakes. They're pretty drat durable too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, fans make for stronger plants and also reduce the chance of mold.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do y'all deal with squirrels? They've never been an issue for me before, but this year they're digging up everything. Repellents seem to have mixed reviews. I don't think I can throw chicken wire over everything. I wish I could just shoot the things, but there are houses behind ours, so...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hawks kill a lot of squirrels. I see them fighting all the time.

I think it's too risky to fire even a pellet gun in my neighborhood. It would probably just hit a tree before reaching someone's house, but it's not worth it the chance to me. I'd also have to go buy one, because I just have a .22 at home.

I guess netting is pretty cheap and will last for a long time, even if I can't cover everything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, we used to plink at birds and squirrels plenty when I was a kid, but we lived in the country so it wasn't an issue. First thing I ever killed was a cowbird nesting in the attic above my room. I do have a traumatic memory from my childhood of a crippled squirrel dragging himself away by only his front two feet after a bad shot..

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The weather is doing its best to kill my vegetable garden this year. We had a deep freeze after weeks of early spring weather, and now we've had two hail storms combined with flash flooding.

Apparently this year's blueberry and peach crops in GA were devastated.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not good enough unless it's electrified, imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Where on the East Coast..? Looking at the 10-day forecast, the lowest I'm seeing in GA 8a is 40.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LLSix posted:

I tried starting my seeds for the first time this year, and most of the paper towels in my ziploc baggies have either brown or reddish spots in them. Is that fungus? Do I need to start over?

The discoloration has spread to some of the seeds in this bag and in the lower left corner what looks like a white smudge next to a seed is actually rootlet covered in fuzz.

I have grown things from moldy seeds like this before. Mold and germination often go hand in hand.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Our peppers got a little bleached from the sun when we first transplanted them this year. The tips of the leaves were white, and the plants looked like crap, but they recovered.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's no way to know really. Birds have never touched my garden.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, the key to those cheap and boring vegetables is to grow varieties that you can't buy in the store. I'm really surprised by the flavor sometimes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have no problem going through jalapeņos. You can put them in practically anything. It's the habaneros that I can't eat quickly enough. They're too loving spicy.

Duxwig posted:

Ok so if they're not "furry" like the top leaves, they're just poo poo leaves? Should I prune those to put more energy into the top ones or no?
Temp has been average of like 37, lows of like 34, low of 40 tonight.

Those bottom leaves are the Cotyledon. They fade quickly and that's OK.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can leave them. It's a natural part of the growing process.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I'm growing a whole bed of bhut jolokias and Carolina reapers this season lol

Give them to high school kids so they can film each other barfing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm growing Atilla alpine strawberries from seed this year. They germinated quickly and easily, but yeah they're serious tiny. I don't really mind though.. I figure I can just propagate from runners in the future.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I use bamboo stakes, and I think they're great. You can probably find some bamboo growing around town if you don't want to spend money. It's a weed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Even full-sun plants can experience sun bleaching if they're moved abruptly into way more sunlight than they've been experiencing. Leaves build up sun protection gradually, and I think new leaves are more adaptable than old ones that developed under less light. If you're moving a plant into full-sun, it helps to do so gradually.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As a resident of Georgia, you can have my heat. You can have my humidity too. I'll throw in my mosquitoes at no extra charge.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Something knocked down all of my corn today... It bent a eucalyptus and tomato plant in the process.

I've ruled out deer. It was windy today, and it's possible that there may have been a very precise gust, but that seems unlikely. I'm pretty sure a loving squirrel tried to jump on it and tackled all of it to the ground.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Walrus posted:

thanks for the kind words, these are indeterminate (mostly san marzano, few cherry beefsteak and heirloom), so right now my plans for support beyond what I have is to put a larger 10 foot stake in between groups of 4/5 plants, and then run twine from the existing posts to that. then tie off the tomato to the twine as it grows, making kind of tomato tower things. I'll also run some twine between the original stakes to get some of the offshoot branches some support. is that a feasable plan? i haven't found anyone doing it quite like that

I made a twine setup like this a couple of days ago after all my corn got knocked over. It seems fine so far.

Here is my garden because I don't think I've posted it yet. It's a beautiful overgrown mess.

Pic 1 is our vine wall. It has some coral honeysuckle, morning glory, virginia creeper, rose, American pitcher plants, redbud, etc.
Pic 2 is the vegetable garden with many peas, tomatoes, peppers, grapes, blueberries, corn etc.
Pic 3 is a huge gifted philodendron with Asian pitcher plants and mints in the background, plus misc shade plants.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 9, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks!

We're planning to rent here for a few years and enjoy gardening enough that we felt OK investing in some in-ground stuff. Other parts are just natural growth that we've trained (like the redbud and virginia creeper). The whole patio is slowly crumbling, so we're just embracing the aesthetic without having to worry about the longterm damage. I'll see if I can get some better shots of the whole thing later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

---