Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

kid sinister posted:

Some herbs are super invasive and will take over your entire plot. Plants in the mint family are notorious for this around here. If you must plant these, keep them in a pot!
Seconding this - we had a mint plant in our garden that quickly grew into a mint grove. It's nice smelling if you need a good ground cover, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Help! I have some bell pepper seedlings growing in little coffee filter pots. One of the pots seems to have some white mold growing on the top of the soil, not touching the bell pepper but I am scared for my baby anyway. I took a bleach-dampened Q-tip and swabbed the mold away, but I don't know if that will solve the problem or if it will kill my seedling or what. Should I isolate the mold-contaminated one in another room or is that overkill? He is only one of the bell pepper dodecuplets, but I want them all to survive!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Bleach? That might be a bit OTT, you could just change out all the dirt, and quarantine that plant just in case it has spores or whatever on it if you're that worried about it. My houseplants get white nasty crusty crap on the top of the soil, I think it comes from the minerals in the tap water.
It's definitely mold, I've seen the mineral crust stuff before and that's not it. Time for my baby to go into quarantine, I guess. I don't want to change out the dirt because the seedling is so little but maybe I should try and hope for the best.

e:^^^ thanks for allaying my fears, this is my first garden. God help me when I have my first kid :3:

moana fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 15, 2009

moana
Jun 18, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

Here, have a mutant tomato blossom:

I can't wait to see what horrible abomination this grows if it sets.
Haha, we have a lemon tree and half of the lemons on it are mutants. I think the person who planted it never trimmed off the shoots that were below the graft line and that's where the mutants came from. I have a mason jar full of little mutant lemon fetuses that look like little :cthulhu::cthulhu::cthulhu:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spigs posted:

So I made my first attempt at planting Serrano chilies last weekend. Tried seeds in one of those prefab seedling greenhouses with a light overhead. All the other herbs I planted, couple types of basil and catnip, spouted right away no problem, however nothing from any of the chili seeds. Am I just being impatient and they take a little longer to sprout or should I try again/do something different?
They do take longer to sprout up but mine came up within a week - did you maybe plant them deeper and so it's taking longer? You could try poking around in one area just to see if they are sprouting up under the soil. I got impatient and did that with mine, and found out they were right there, just taking their time to come up!

Fungus gnats suck, they are all over my peppers outside. Do I really have to shell out $30 for nematodes? I'm starting to think I'll just let the plants die off (the little seedlings haven't grown at all because of them) and try again next year, remembering to keep them inside and not overwater them before I put them outside. The gnats don't seem to be affecting the tomatoes, beans, or cucumbers, just the peppers.

edit: and yeah that is totally a black raspberry, blackberries aren't dome shaped like that (my rule is if you can make a finger puppet with it it is a raspberry :)).

moana fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 10, 2009

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I had a terrible nightmare last night that there were caterpillars eating all of my tomatoes and I couldn't kill them fast enough. Then I woke up and picked my first green beans and had them with some pasta! Hurray for gardens!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Eugenics posted:

I'm growing cherry tomatoes and they've been coming out very strange. They've got this split running right up the side from top to bottom, and it's on practically every ripe tomato. I have no idea what's going on, here's a picture of what's happening.

http://j.photos.cx/DSCN1619-739.jpg
I'm having that happen on only one stalk (green tomatoes still). All of the other stalks are doing fine. I realized that I had pruned away a rather large offshoot right below the stalk so I think it's just sending too much water to the stalk that's remaining, resulting in a burst.

It's nearly almost always overwatering that causes those types of bursts, but I just wanted to give you an alternate explanation in case you've been pruning near the stalks with tomatoes on them - that can do it as well as under and then overwatering.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

toenut posted:

My celery is still barely coming out of the ground after two months, so you are way ahead of mine. I've never done celery before, so I don't know what to expect.

Also, I must have missed one zucchini when I harvested this weekend because today I found this one that has grown to an epic size.

Jesus Christ, that is a zucchini to end all zucchinis.

I have blossom rot on like half of my tomatoes :( Oh well, I can't eat enough beans to get rid of all of them and the cucumbers, cantaloupes and peppers are starting to come in. Hurray!

I must have planted like ten cantaloupe seedlings in a little 4x4 square... it is the most delicious kind of overflowing but I will know next year that even though they look little they get really big :3:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Any idea why my cantaloupes are dropping off of the vine when they're still so little? They are half the size of regular cantaloupes, still very tasty, but little.

Also, I am almost sick of eating so many beans.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

kid sinister posted:

How small are we talking? It's possible that they weren't fertilized and the plant aborted them. Cantaloupes also need LOTS of water to reach the size you see in the grocery store.
Not that small - like 4 inches in diameter. Still tasty to eat, but just not
big like they're supposed to be! You're probably right about the water. We hit a heat wave in San Diego and I probably should have kept a better eye on the moisture levels. I was afraid of overwatering though.

coyo7e - I will have to try these!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jesus Rocket posted:

I believe my uncle might grow veggies and fruits. I know he gardens a lot, but I think he is mainly into succulents. I'll be sure to ask him. Right now my garden area is maybe about 10ftx10ft with only a tangerine tree (that shades most of it). I was already thinking that container gardening might be best for me and I'm glad to hear tomatoes and peppers are easy to grow since they were high on my list.

Good to hear how easy it is! Are there any places or brands to stay away from when looking for seeds? Will the seeds I get from Home Depo be just as good as the seeds for a gardening-specific store?
Honestly, if you just want a few things, you can stick to seedlings and you'll spend about the same amount and with much less hassle (and things dying). All the things I've gotten from Home Depot (seeds and seedlings) were just fine, except for the ones I killed off myself. I'm in San Diego too and so excited to start my garden! Last year the best things we grew were:

- green beans oh god so many beans
- cucumbers
- tomatoes
- hot peppers
- bell peppers (didn't turn out great)
- cantaloupes (didn't turn out great)

We're trying peas, strawberries, and jalapenos this year, along with cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, and two more cucumber plants. Hope it all turns out okay! They were selling blueberry bushes too but I'm not sure how well blueberry does in this zone, anybody know?

Also planted some chives, leeks, and rosemary for the chef. I've never done too well with herbs apart from mint but I guess we'll see! And we put in two guacamole trees (avocado and lime) in our front yard along with a bunch of succulents and lavender. Time to sit on my butt and wait for a couple of years before they're established and producing fruit :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Richard Noggin posted:

Please don't buy plants from Home Depot. Find a local nursery and support them. The quality will be better, and they won't have Dale from plumbing covering the garden center.
I bought all of my succulents from the big drive through nursery up in Carmel Valley which is kind of a drive, but the closest mom and pop nursery to me was staffed by giant dicks the last time I went there so I don't shop there anymore. Home Depot is two minutes away and all of the staff are awesome, give me free cuts of lumber, great advice, are are super friendly. I guess we're just lucky with our center because I've never had a problem.

If I was a serious gardener, I'm sure I'd need to look for a better store, but I actually prefer not having to choose between seventeen varieties of cherry tomatoes. For a beginner, it's daunting.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Marchegiana posted:

I probably should mention that it's been my experience that the staff at the mom-and-pop nursery are usually just as clueless as the staff at Home Depot is.
Mine weren't clueless, they just didn't give a poo poo about what I wanted and apparently the owner had a hardon for roses because that's all they wanted to talk to me about. I loving hate roses.

I was going to just buy some seeds and get out when I saw a "Yes on Prop 8 sticker" on the register, so gently caress you nursery. At least Home Depot has a decent HRC rating.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

No, it literally just went from looking like a pea-shoot to looking like a piece of 3 day old salad in the space of a day. And then I think it disappeared. There is a chance that the soil was contaminated with either some kind of herbicide or tiny slugs though.
I tried to do bean seedlings and lavender seedlings in soil that I had taken from my back garden, and the roly poly bugs in the soil ate ALL of them. I was so confused because the seedlings were disappearing or lying on their sides dead, then one day I saw one moving and discovered a roly poly munching on it like a miniature beaver. :argh:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

HClChicken posted:

Everything I've read says that when you do your seed growing purchase potting soil so you can prevent weeds, insects and parasites that are outside.
Yes I know but I am laaaaaaaazy plus how else am I going to get rid of my bean seeds, I don't want to eat green beans every day like I did last year :v:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

WTF, we've got strawberries! It's been like two weeks since I've planted these, the buggers are growing up fast.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hm, didn't think about that. I'll make a box out of chicken wire ASAP (will those holes be small enough? I could use fabric mesh..). Thanks for the advice!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Alright guys you have successfully terrified me that orcs are going to come and eat my strawberries in the dead of night, thanks a lot.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Anubis posted:

Most varieties say that, for a plant that is going to be around for several years, you need to pluck off the flowers in the first year to ensure proper root growth. If you don't just be aware they may not make it through the winter.
I plucked off all of the flowers/strawberries that were on it to start off. Do you mean I have to not have any strawberries at all this year? That is sad. I'm in San Diego, so maybe they will last the winter anyway?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I started mixing my own potting soil this year after watching way too much gardening YouTube over the winter and I gotta say I've been pretty pleased with the price savings for what is essentially the labor of stirring stuff up
What's your recipe? We just stopped getting frost here and I am so ready to start things!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

My husband got some poison oak secondhand from clothes and ended up in the hospital and had to get injections to clear up the swelling and rashes. Don't gently caress around with that poo poo!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Upgrade posted:

I bought and planted three boxwoods to go along side one that came with the house. When we took them out of the pots the soil was really really heavy clay. I ended up removing the outer layer of clay to expose the roots - was this a bad thing? Very conflicting answers online. It’s been about a day and the leaves are a little droopy.
Boxwood is pretty indestructible, if you put them in better soil they'll probably be happy. Make sure they're fully watered in if they're droopy,

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, I was gonna say, I've tried killing those and they come back every year.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Why do you need a vast monoculture lawn? If you're not hosting soccer tournaments on the reg, sow some native wildflowers and mow the meadow down after letting it go to seed. Or God, plant an orchard. Give the birds and bugs somewhere to live. What I could do with that amount of space...

I don't know why dandelions get a bad rap. They are edible, great for pollinators, have adorable floofs, and they don't even have burrs or spiky bits like most weeds we pull, or grow so tall you can't walk over them. I'm rooting for the dandelions to win :colbert:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jhet posted:

Not just mixed in. Entire areas of the yard were replaced in rectangular areas with large stones. I have no idea why. They even put a raised bed in the middle of one of the rectangles that are full of 1-3" stones. I want to put in a greenhouse in a spot, so one smaller section is going to get dug out and replaced with soil, but idk why it's there in the first place.
Big old "gently caress you" to the gophers? Although rocks don't seem to stop mine.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

That carrot has a fine booty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Just plant it back up, heck just leave it there and it'll root back down if you water it probably. Garlic is nigh unkillable.