Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

ccubed fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

He definitely looks more sickly than he's typically drawn. Makes me wonder if that's why Takamura is in a rush.

Isn't it explicitly stated in one of his rants to Ippo that he wants to conquer the 6 weight classes while coach is still around to see it? I'm sure I remember hearing his motivation laid out directly like that...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

We have been pretty much told straight up that Takamura's in a hurry because Kamogawa's old as hell, yeah. There's no mystery here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If HnI didn't have an ambiguous timescale, and kept pace with real time, Kamogawa would be 103.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1325

You see a little bit of Dragon practicing. Good thing his dangerous punch is the right!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Coach Kamogawa fought in the second world war. By the time of the current chapter he is fantastically old. And possibly a war criminal.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It always seemed fairly obvious that Kamogawa, Nekota, and Beardo didn't actually serve on the front lines, which is why they were still in one piece and not totally hosed up for the post-war boxing they did.

It's left unsaid, though, but that was my impression.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It always seemed fairly obvious that Kamogawa, Nekota, and Beardo didn't actually serve on the front lines, which is why they were still in one piece and not totally hosed up for the post-war boxing they did.

It's left unsaid, though, but that was my impression.

Yeah they were teenagers during the occupation.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Only way this gets wrapped up in our lifetimes, never mind Kamogawa's, is if Takamaru gets anime-powered up to latter-day Bleach levels and the rest of his title fights go like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JOEYxwwbk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fmrvYXgtY

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1326
this one rules

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I have achieved a single Yakuman in like 2000 mahjong games, and roughly 20 or so failed attempts. So yeah, I wish this could happen to me once.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Oh lord, I just started getting all my friends exposed to FKMT, and, currently, Akagi, after I finished doing so with them for Ippo a couple of months ago.

I'll have to get them to read this arc, at least, even if they're back where the anime ended as far as the manga goes.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

God I hope we get a few more issues of HnI as a mahjong manga.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I am lollin at art style shift on the last page. That face.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Yagi being the reincarnation of Akagi is some dope poo poo

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1327

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So he's got to be cheating some how right? Or are they really playing up this insane lucky streak?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
*Hajime no Ippo is a boxing manga

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I am very okay with this mahjong side story.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jiro posted:

So he's got to be cheating some how right? Or are they really playing up this insane lucky streak?

i really feel they're leaning into "luck" being his gimmick which i sincerely dont like lol

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Also it just dawned on me that Satoru Iwata is also a Mahjong master in HnI. :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mahjong may as well be Bridge for how much I understand about how its played, but isn't being good at it basically Japanese shorthand for being smart or at least tactically minded or calculating? Like Chess to American audiences?

Also this arc is chump change until they start wagering with pints of their own blood :unsmigghh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More like counting cards in poker, actually.

(I am thankful to FFXIV for getting me into riichi mahjong, I can actually understand what's going on, even if I don't know the point gains at a glance.)

Gross oversimplification for the uninitiated:

Everyone gets a hand of 13 tiles, and then takes turns drawing and then discarding until they assemble a winning hand using the 14th tile. Typically, this involves four "sets" and a pair. Sets can be either a straight, or 3-of-a-kind. (See the dog's hand at the beginning of the latest chapter.) The horizontal tile is the 14th tile that they drew.

You cannot declare a winning hand unless you have at least one "yaku" (for all intents and purposes, one "token".) Everyone starts with one token on the condition that they do not expose any of the tiles in their hand. You can throw away your initial token to steal tiles from someone else's discard, but need to make up a token elsewhere using special conditions to declare a winning hand. You can stack earned tokens to bump up your score.

Scoring involves the losers paying the winner. Everyone starts with the same number of points to begin with. A self-drawn win means EVERYONE pays points to the winner. Winning off stealing someone's discard means that person pays points to the winner.

Just like in poker, there are also special condition hands, like the straight flush, full house, etc. One of these that has been demonstrated already is called "Seven Pairs", Dragon's hand at the end of the last chapter.

Winning in Mahjong is equal parts luck as it is reading your opponents discards (which are all organized for everyone to see for readability, so you can see their entire discard history and in what order) to figure out what they have in order to not discard the piece they need to win, to stymie them entirely, or get ready to steal a discard.

Lastly, declaring "Riichi", or what appears to be wasei-eigo for "Reach" is akin to declaring "Uno", meaning you're one tile short of a winning hand. This can add bonus points to your score at the end of the round if you win, or, if nobody has a winning hand when all tiles are depleted, you still get some points paid out from people who did not get Riichi. However, it locks your hand so you cannot maneuver tactically and you can only draw and discard what you draw, or steal from a discard.

Lastly: Yagi's got a great hand here. He's set up for a straight, that is, 1-9 of a single suit. (technically, 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9 of a single suit) Using our previous terminology, the straight is worth two tokens if his hand remains hidden, one token if his hand is revealed.

He also has a pair of white dragons already (those are the white tiles, which in and of itself may be used as a wait for a three-of-a-kind) a single West Wind tile, which is completely useless and probably what he'll discard, and an extra 1 of numbers tile, which he could either wait on similar to the dragons, discard, or turn into a 3-of-a-kind of 1s, which would reshuffle the rest of his hand into 2-3-4, 5-6-7, 8-9, and then waiting on another 7 to complete the 7-8-9. This is a weaker hand points-wise compared to the straight, but it's a fallback position.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 23, 2021

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chatper 1328

They're all jealous of Yagi's enormous ron.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm really not looking forward to Morikawa trying to illustrate how a character's supernatural luck affects his boxing match.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nilbop posted:

I'm really not looking forward to Morikawa trying to illustrate how a character's supernatural luck affects his boxing match.

It CAN'T be any more ridiculous than the Wally fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's also mentioned that he has more then luck. He is also a Southpaw that uses Orthodox stance. Which is actually useful info.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1329

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Takamura praying the coach makes it through and, for all the people who want Ippo back in the ring, seems to be the one with the most 'reasonable' motive. He knows that Kamogawa doesn't have long and he wants someone he trained to make it to world champion before then. Unlike everyone whose desire seems to be "But Ippo you could still go the distance." His seems to be "We can fulfill Kamogawa's dream together." And frankly, that's better than "Wanting to fight Miyata again" or "But you could keep going."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I'm half-astounded that Morikawa keeps having someone ask Ippo "Are you sure you don't want to try again" this late in the game. It's not needed to establish Takamura's motivation so often, and the only alternative is he's actually planning to have Ippo make a return, which is just ... bad.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'd actually be really surprised if Ippo doesn't return to boxing.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I'm half-astounded that Morikawa keeps having someone ask Ippo "Are you sure you don't want to try again" this late in the game. It's not needed to establish Takamura's motivation so often, and the only alternative is he's actually planning to have Ippo make a return, which is just ... bad.

This isn't just establishing Takamura's motivation, it's also hinting at the "maybe something's wrong with Takamura" storylines that happen from time to time, and emphasizing the relationship and rapport that Takamura has with Ippo even though he acts so un-serious most of the time.

Which would make a decent explanation for Ippo's return to the ring, something which is almost definitely gonna happen. I like Ippo's course change to become a trainer, but if Morikawa had any intention of sticking to it to the end, he'd probably be too busy writing a boxing trainer manga or building up a new main character to waste chapter after chapter just dangling and rejecting the possibility of a return to the ring over and over again.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'll go so far as to say that if you actually don't think Ippo's gonna come back, you really need to rethink how you read and consider narratives. It has been a CONSTANT refrain of people building up little observations and noticing that if Ippo came back he'd be way beyond where he was when he stopped because of the stuff he's been doing to stay in shape and how much he's actually been learning about boxing.

My gut take is that Takamura either loses here or wins but gets injured in a way that makes everyone have to think about his career, and this damages Kamogawa's momentum and his health takes a downturn, which makes Ippo realize what Takamura has been muttering about all this time, and he realizes exactly why Takamura keeps pushing him. This either prompts him to have a heart to heart with his mom, or his mom notices that Ippo's extra out of it, and she's the one that gives him the push to go back.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Patware posted:

I'll go so far as to say that if you actually don't think Ippo's gonna come back, you really need to rethink how you read and consider narratives. It has been a CONSTANT refrain of people building up little observations and noticing that if Ippo came back he'd be way beyond where he was when he stopped because of the stuff he's been doing to stay in shape and how much he's actually been learning about boxing.

My gut take is that Takamura either loses here or wins but gets injured in a way that makes everyone have to think about his career, and this damages Kamogawa's momentum and his health takes a downturn, which makes Ippo realize what Takamura has been muttering about all this time, and he realizes exactly why Takamura keeps pushing him. This either prompts him to have a heart to heart with his mom, or his mom notices that Ippo's extra out of it, and she's the one that gives him the push to go back.

The only thing is that it would be happening now and for Ippo pacing that's too fast.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Patware posted:

This either prompts him to have a heart to heart with his mom, or his mom notices that Ippo's extra out of it, and she's the one that gives him the push to go back.
Definitely the second one out of this. It took Ippo 198 centuries to kiss a girl, he's not the type to open up and confront others outside of boxing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Wait, when did he kiss Kumi?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

Also lol that I got as far as Googling 'Ippo Ku' before it autocompleted to 'ippo kumi kiss chapter', so you're not alone in asking. I think they've had several ~hilarious~ near-misses as above, but have yet to properly mack down.

e: Looks like this is as close as they got back in 1011:

I guess it looks like they both agreed they were about to kiss, half credit?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2021

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

Wait, when did he kiss Kumi?

Oh lol haha, my bad, must have misremembered one of the hundreds of ~awkward moments~

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm giving 1011 to them goddamnit, they were GONNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly, I think Kumi is the bigger hurdle than his mother. She clearly doesn't want him boxing again.