Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

EXCITEMENT AND DRAMA

man ippo really has it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i cant really get pumped up for this fight. it feels like dragon has legitimately 0 characterization lol

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
can't wait to find out what's wrong with him in 5 chapters

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Something is 'off' because now that Takamura is in a comfortable weight class he's in perfect form and no longer has stamina issues. Once he stops testing the 'god of luck' he will destroy him because while luck can get you to the ring only skill and power gets you out of it.

My prediction.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Something's off, he- he----- he hasn't pulled a dick joke for three entire chapters!! He can't keep it in any longer!!!! Here it comes oh no!!!!!!!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I have looked deep into the future, and ripped it's secrets from it's breast. Behold!

Everyone(chapters 1-4): Something's different this time!

Everyone(chapter5): He was just going fast to win the belt for the old man!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

time to bring back that theory that takamura is blind in one of his eyes or something

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

:wth:

WHOA SOMETHING MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED

Something is GOING to happen. Later. Next time. Maybe.

Rubellavator posted:

time to bring back that theory that takamura is blind in one of his eyes or something

Christ was it like the IRL '90s when that plot point got introduced and then forgotten just as quickly? Their first training camp or something?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Takes No Damage posted:

Christ was it like the IRL '90s when that plot point got introduced and then forgotten just as quickly? Their first training camp or something?

Not quite that early, it was part of the build up to his fight with Eagle. (It might still be '90s though)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Something is GOING to happen. Later. Next time. Maybe.

its in no way forgotten, mori has flirted with it time and again, notably in the bison fight too

that said, yes, it was legitimately decades ago now that it started and we've had 0 resolution

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Really, it's all telegraphed to a ridiculous degree but Ippo takes so long you have no idea what if any potential plot-threads pay off.

Like to me, if this was a shorter running series I'd feel like I had it all figured out.

Kamogawa is dying of something- anime wasting disease/cancer/whatever.
Takamura, feeling a sort of surrogate father in Kamogawa- wants to get him all those belts as a way of thanking him for saving his life via boxing.
Takamura refuses to admit he has any injuries to keep going as fast as possible to complete his promise while Kamogawa is alive, and a good one you can hide an in ambiguous manner is a detached retina.
Takamura finally loses or dies in the ring or something because of this or alternatively- he succeeds but is finally found out and is forced to permanently retire.
Ippo becomes Kamogawa's "true" last son.

But then we go like 10 years when parts of this were first hinted and no payoff so I have no idea anymore really. I figured there'd be some sort of jealousy subplot between Takamura and Ippo at some point because Kamogawa and his old buddy whose name I forgot talk all that poo poo about Ippo having "The promised fists" or whatever and him being Kamogawa's "true" son since he's a boxer Kamogawa really built up while Takamura was just something of a natural prodigy. But then we don't really see anything further about that. Remember when Ippo beat Woli with magical one-inch punches infused with haki or whatever?

Medically- the retina thing is kinda stupid because even in the 90s they had effective surgeries for it, and he could miss maybe 1-2 fights max to fully recover. I guess 3-6 months is too long to wait, but with a successful surgery and some recovery Takamura would absolutely be able to box again and would be fine so long as he made sure not to take tons of brutal headshots.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Takamura wouldn't spend money on fixing his eye. Dude has won plenty of cash that he apparently uses to live like a bum in a dirt apartment. He only spends money on Statues of Himself because you know HE'S THE BEST.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah the main upcoming plot points seem super obvious at this point, and it's more of a waiting game to see which actually pay off and which end up dropped or being dick jokes.

Takamura health condition causing a loss or retire
Kamogawa living on borrowed time
Ippo back in the ring
Ippo and Kumi getting together

The question is just if the fight will end up with any sort of plot progression or if it's gonna be another nothing-burger.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Isn't it still like 1992 in universe lol

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Isn't it still like 1992 in universe lol

It's like '02 or '03, there was a year on one of the fight posters not too long ago (in universe, probably 2 years ago IRL).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

It's like '02 or '03, there was a year on one of the fight posters not too long ago (in universe, probably 2 years ago IRL).

It's the year 2000. Takamura is also either 30 or 31 currently.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mental lol at thought of Takamura retires because reflexes going bust with old age

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i think its a little up in the air if any of the characters have canon ages, rather i think mori has sorta just stopped mentioning it so things dont seem weird

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bisse posted:

Mental lol at thought of Takamura retires because reflexes going bust with old age

It's apparently less of an issue at the higher weight classes cause power is normally the last to go.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Could have sworn it was a bit later, but maybe the poster I'm thinking of was JANUARY XX 200X or something like that. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to how the HnI gang react to 9/11 :unsmigghh:

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's apparently less of an issue at the higher weight classes cause power is normally the last to go.

Wouldn't that make it more of an issue, a bunch of old guys who can still hit like trucks but can't dodge as well?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

Wouldn't that make it more of an issue, a bunch of old guys who can still hit like trucks but can't dodge as well?

Not quite cause the higher classes tend to be slower so their reaction time can still keep up. 30s is considered a bit of a prime for higher weight boxers. 35 is generally were the wall comes unless you are super skilled.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Takes No Damage posted:

Could have sworn it was a bit later, but maybe the poster I'm thinking of was JANUARY XX 200X or something like that. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to how the HnI gang react to 9/11 :unsmigghh:

That's uh....well, everybody has their wishlists for series, I guess.:shrug:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait to see the Kamogawa gym navigate the 2008 financial crisis.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bisse posted:

Can't wait to see the Kamogawa gym navigate the 2008 financial crisis.

Pshhh Yagi will just gamble with the bank and end up with 2 gyms.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CHapter 1338

The bad feeling was Takamura just being too badass. RIP all those people who thought he might lose this one.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

CHapter 1338

The bad feeling was Takamura just being too badass. RIP all those people who thought he might lose this one.

lol

Garrand fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 25, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ORESAMA PANCHI WA / DAI NO MAITO GA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It should be noted it was not actually a bad feeling just a feeling that something was off. And what was off was that Takamura finally reached his proper weight class. Which is good for this fight, but bad for future fights in higher classes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted it was not actually a bad feeling just a feeling that something was off. And what was off was that Takamura finally reached his proper weight class. Which is good for this fight, but bad for future fights in higher classes.

I was thinking about this and I'm actually looking forward to see what happens in the future. Actually changing how a Takamura fight works will be interesting to see.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hello yes i randomly jumped in during the mashiba vs iga fight and have been keeping up since for new stuff.

for some reason i got the itch so i recently binged through all of the anime.

it's interesting to see how much groundwork there was in setting brain damage ippo up and how early it was set up, with volg's coach straight up telling kamogawa 'this is what's gonna happen'.
seeing the journey backwards was also an interesting experience because a lot of the structure of the ippo fights and how formulaic they are is more interesting when the thing where he ends up being totally brutalized is like, an actual source of damage and his insane tenacity/shounen hot blood poo poo means that things like his right hand bein totally hosed after the mashiba fight and his body being jacked after the sawamura fight have this interesting payoff instead of anime hot blood healing.

also, kamogawa is so goddamn awful as a coach, lmao. the flashback arc is probably the overall best arc in the anime but what happened to nekota and kamogawa being extremely okay with ippo just getting domed by a fatal punch from sawamura because "ippos gotta figure this out on his own even though i know the answer" is craaaaaaaazy. i genuinely can't tell if he's meant to be a great trainer but awful coach or if that's just something that the author was able to springboard from when it came to earlier arcs.

i figure a lot of it has to do with how the series is insanely old and the author kinda pivoting between stuff, but the result has been pretty interesting since retired ippo living with severe regrets is a lot more interesting.

random thoughts:
it's hilarious that takamura had negative character growth after kimura's first match - in kimura/aoki flashback arc he seems less like a total rear end in a top hat until he realizes that being an rear end in a top hat is what got kimura's attention.

it's also hilarious that takamura was originally the guy training ippo and he was training ippo in "proper" boxing before kamogawa shoved him aside and basically went "hey kid here's some big punches just do the big moves and get punched until it works"

overall with ippo's fights being so formulaic, they tend to be mad boring but every single non-ippo fight rules. it's a shame they clearly have less budget dedicated to them (except takamura vs. hawk and eagle) - the fight aoki has vs. imae looks awful but the contents of the fight are so goddamn good. the kimura vs. mashiba movie was really good as well but still didn't seem as slick as like, the season 1 mashiba fight. I really wish aoki and kimura got more fights in general, they've got a massive amount of pathos.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chapter 1339

Old but nobody ever linked it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe Miyata will take the hint and get himself out of his lovely weight class. Same with Kimura

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna.. draw that entire dick, huh George? Vein and all? Well OK then.

mabels big day posted:

Maybe Miyata will take the hint and get himself out of his lovely weight class. Same with Kimura

I thought Miyata already went up a class after getting tired of waiting for Ippo to get his poo poo together. And doesn't Kimura force himself into a lower class so he'll never have to fight Aoki (even though gym members can't fight each other so ? )?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's basically more that he's trying to avoid taking Aoki's chances by being in the same weight class as him. There can only be one Champion in a weight class, after all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean.............. does anyone in or out of universe really consider them to be in contention for a belt? I guess Kimura took a shot once but he hasn't done dick since. Maybe this is just a pact they made when they were first starting out but aren't they both batting around 500 in what is at least the back half of their careers? Probably putting more thought into this than George did for their last fights...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I mean.............. does anyone in or out of universe really consider them to be in contention for a belt? I guess Kimura took a shot once but he hasn't done dick since. Maybe this is just a pact they made when they were first starting out but aren't they both batting around 500 in what is at least the back half of their careers? Probably putting more thought into this than George did for their last fights...

Aoki also had a championship shot, I think the joke was that the champ also had an ugly girlfriend and he was losing until he remembered he loved her or something

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

kimura beat the poo poo out of mashiba to the point of where mashiba feels like he shouldve lost and aoki got into a draw w the champion of his weight class

theyve only had 1 "real" fight each but both were godlike. its kind of hosed up how poorly animated the aoki one was because the buildup and actual fight are super cool

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

both genuinely SHOULD be in contention for the title, they're still mid-rankers at this point in time iirc, one or two wins and a title shot isn't nuts

that said, we all know that this isnt gonna happen till their last character arc

i still have my money on kimura going up a weight class to win vs iga with aoki in his corner to win the belt, would be a nice dovetail to all of their stories and aokis been in kimuras corner before

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chapter 1340

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Nilbop posted:

It's going to be 5 chapters of Takamura getting punched in the face while Keith crows about how it's impossible to fight against the goddess of luck, until he grits his teeth, finds his yamato spirit and then punches him clean out of the ring, killing him instantly.

The only thing I missed so far is the intense superposition of sexual-nationalism Morikawa is layering on top of this fight.

And that Keith has been absolutely and comprehensively chumped out so far, which factors into the above.