Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Stairmaster posted:

aren't volg and mashiba supposed to be the same weight class

I think Volg went up 1 class and Mashiba went up 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

canoshiz posted:

I think Volg went up 1 class and Mashiba went up 2.

indeed, volg is the jr lightweight champ.

i like teh chapter, i think kumi is one of the more interesting characters at this time. glad we're kinda rushing through. seems like mashiba is broken too

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Jordan Peterson is a boxer?

Eating undercooked meat is the new mohawks, safety pins and football pads. It lets Japanese Boomers know that this guy is Bad NewsTM.

ofuck, Japan probably doesn't have a Baby Boomer generation, and in fact they'd probably interpret that waaaaaaay differently in relation to the end of WWII :ohdear:

Super Rad posted:

Plot twist - last panel is drawn from the mat looking up at Mashiba

That was my first thought too, but his eyes have that shaded in bloodshot look to indicate he's been getting hit a lot. Still not buying that anything's going to happen except the thing we all expect to happen.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fireworks factory etc.

Had we heard anything about who Mashiba's fighting and stuff? I don't remember any of his subplot. This isn't part of the Ricardo-Woli card, right?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember ippo giving a big speech about this fighter at mashibas party thing but I legit can't remember who it was lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, this manga moves so slow that I straight up don't remember any of this - I basically just started paying attention again because lol woli

Edit: The wiki says he's fighting someone named Juan Garcia, who used to be world champ?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Takes No Damage posted:

Eating undercooked meat is the new mohawks, safety pins and football pads. It lets Japanese Boomers know that this guy is Bad NewsTM.

ofuck, Japan probably doesn't have a Baby Boomer generation, and in fact they'd probably interpret that waaaaaaay differently in relation to the end of WWII :ohdear:

That was my first thought too, but his eyes have that shaded in bloodshot look to indicate he's been getting hit a lot. Still not buying that anything's going to happen except the thing we all expect to happen.

It's not exactly the same timing and text wise, but I bet people who were working adults that who got set up for life during the bubble economy love to talk poo poo about everyone who is floundering in the subsequent recessions

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Fireworks factory etc.

Had we heard anything about who Mashiba's fighting and stuff? I don't remember any of his subplot. This isn't part of the Ricardo-Woli card, right?

There was an chapter where Ippo humorously vomited out information about Mashiba's opponent while at his pep-rally dinner. :v:

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 18, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Eight-Six posted:

There was an chapter where Ippo humorously vomited out information about Mashiba's opponent while at his pep-rally dinner. :v:

this is also a really good writing example imo, its an in-character way for ippo to be involved in the current story while also showing he's definitely different than before - when talking about mashiba's opponent, he notices weaknesses to exploit, which he almost always failed to do pre-retirement. he would often lionize everyone he or his allies would face

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Doesn't he still do that? Guy seems to think Sendo is invincible for example, and his one-note obsession with Miyata is as grating as ever

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sendo cannot be killed by conventional means

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Doesn't he still do that? Guy seems to think Sendo is invincible for example, and his one-note obsession with Miyata is as grating as ever

i'd have to reread those recent fights to see if he's critical of them during, but if anyone, ippo's gong to always be laudatory for those two (and date). and fwiw, he still definitely bigs up the opponents, but the subtle shift is in recognizing flaws imo. for example, he did it in the recent imai match, and after watching ricardo he even said to the coach that after enough visualizations, he saw a path forward in fighting the champ.

i think mori is trying to show us pretty subtly that his mindset is broadening as he learns more about the sport

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading that Korean The Boxer webcomic that was posted earlier. It's pretty good, a lot more anime than Ippo but it's also moving a hell of a lot faster so an already invincible boxer morphing into an awakened Evangelion during his first title match is a fair price to pay. Also I am LOVING the completely alien censoring rules it seems to follow. Swearing and blood are A-OK but things like knife blades are pixelated. Really having a hard time deciding what benefit that's supposed to provide. Maybe I'll step outside and have a smoke, that sweet clean tobacco will clear my head and help me think...

ohshit nevermind!

e:
:siren:The smoke gets censored too:siren:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chapter 1362

lol at everyone who thought this wasn't gonna be dragged out

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If the story actually goes anywhere Morikawa's gravy train stops, of course he's going to spin the wheels literally forever. Also "world title preliminary" makes it sound like this is the co-feature to a title fight, the match as described sounds like it's a title eliminator.

edit: Anyone remember which chapter Sendo-Gonzales started on? I've never actually read that fight all the way through.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 23, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Itagaki has been a wet fart for a very long time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ippo gave the correct advice.

Flesnolk posted:

If the story actually goes anywhere Morikawa's gravy train stops, of course he's going to spin the wheels literally forever. Also "world title preliminary" makes it sound like this is the co-feature to a title fight, the match as described sounds like it's a title eliminator.

edit: Anyone remember which chapter Sendo-Gonzales started on? I've never actually read that fight all the way through.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was a pretty hilarious fakeout with Mashiba

Itagaki's in an odd position. On one hand he got pushed at a time where power creep was affecting everyone pretty hard, so he came across as a potential monster, but now that the brakes have been stepped on he's going to flounder for a good while

Kinda deserves it because he's a weenie (granted, I still find him entertaining)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i really like that people legitimately regress in this story. it makes it feel more real

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also the world of boxing is big, the next guy who gets in the ring with you could always be the one best suited to gently caress you up. The crazy power creep stuff like Itagaki teleporting and Miyata throwing supersonic punches was always pretty clear visual metaphor anyway, not "these people have superpowers now," so I think it tracks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Flesnolk posted:

Also the world of boxing is big, the next guy who gets in the ring with you could always be the one best suited to gently caress you up. The crazy power creep stuff like Itagaki teleporting and Miyata throwing supersonic punches was always pretty clear visual metaphor anyway, not "these people have superpowers now," so I think it tracks.

That's actually something I think is great about Ippo in general. You'll get moments like Ippo literally punching someone's guts out, but it's clear in the next panel that it's just a visual metaphor and not meant to be representative of what's actually going on.

I still wouldn't call it "realistic" but on a spectrum where Slam Dunk is on one end and Prince of Tennis is on the other, Ippo is closer to Slam Dunk

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's realistic-ish, but yeah it's definitely stylised - which I think is meant to add some visual interest and also to communicate some of what it's like to be in the ring, and how much getting punched SUCKS. Next to stuff like Ring ni Kakero where they're shooting lasers and making tornadoes in matches, it's pretty grounded.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

That's actually something I think is great about Ippo in general. You'll get moments like Ippo literally punching someone's guts out, but it's clear in the next panel that it's just a visual metaphor and not meant to be representative of what's actually going on.

I still wouldn't call it "realistic" but on a spectrum where Slam Dunk is on one end and Prince of Tennis is on the other, Ippo is closer to Slam Dunk

That one time Sendo bit a guy's abdomen off was p.cool.

e:

Hypocrisy posted:

I like how Itagaki couldn't decide between standing and running, immediately after trying to run and getting caught :doh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

tbp posted:

i really like that people legitimately regress in this story. it makes it feel more real

It's kinda Itagaki's arc, right, Imai has his number but Itagaki is insanely talented regardless (and Imai is world-class talent), he just gets complacent and eats poo poo because of it. He also seems to wanna be like Ippo when he's more suited to be like Mashiba, which doesn't help when Ippo is one of his seconds; maybe this will be the turn-around point for the dude.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Hypocrisy posted:

Of course, but also when has mustache second ever given a good advice in his career, if a toddler told you to fight and him to run you fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

It's kinda Itagaki's arc, right, Imai has his number but Itagaki is insanely talented regardless (and Imai is world-class talent), he just gets complacent and eats poo poo because of it. He also seems to wanna be like Ippo when he's more suited to be like Mashiba, which doesn't help when Ippo is one of his seconds; maybe this will be the turn-around point for the dude.

Ippo has been giving him fairly good advice. But yeah Itagaki is a bit too cocky, probably why the audience does not like him very much.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where's Ippo's enormous Thanksgiving hog??????? next issue*

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1263

Thunk

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Um excuse me I think you mean ZAWAA :crossarms:

My money is Mashiba getting into a DAI PINCHE and firing up his samurai spirit by imagining Ippo macking on his li'l sis :wink:
Like Ippo puts his arm around her shoulders for comfort/support and Mashiba goes beastmode and spontaneously evolves the Dempsy Hitman StyleTM.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

one punch for the whole chapter

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've probably forgotten something, but I thought she didn't go to the boxing matches?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

I've probably forgotten something, but I thought she didn't go to the boxing matches?

She used to not, but at some point she started (reluctantly) going to support him, probably around the time he got the whateverweight title.

tbp posted:

one punch for the whole chapter

Computer, improve this fighting manga.

tbp posted:

One Punch, for the whole chapter!

:hmmyes:
(do we not have an oppai smilie? I could have sworn there was one...)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
lol only 12 pages

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i think morikawa might be the world's greatest hack when it comes to comparing the last page of chapter n vs the first page of chapter n+1. he is obsessed with the whiplash effect and when he doesn't do it he starts chapters with dogs assholes

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1364

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mori really knows how to write the most frustrating chapters.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

tbp posted:

i think morikawa might be the world's greatest hack when it comes to comparing the last page of chapter n vs the first page of chapter n+1. he is obsessed with the whiplash effect and when he doesn't do it he starts chapters with dogs assholes

yep

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Or not!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Or not!!

well i mean in terms of the first page of this chapter lol. we've honestly one this a few hundred times now, where the explicit text on the last page of the former chapter is "shockingly" revealed to be the opposite in the first page of the current chapter. "mashiba takes a big right!!!" into "actually he blocked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

well i mean in terms of the first page of this chapter lol. we've honestly one this a few hundred times now, where the explicit text on the last page of the former chapter is "shockingly" revealed to be the opposite in the first page of the current chapter. "mashiba takes a big right!!!" into "actually he blocked"

:thejoke: