Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Broken Toaster posted:

I can't really see Itagaki leaving the gym though.

Considering how much he's talked about not leaving the gym it's either horrible foreshadowing and he will, or he'll actually wait and snatch up the belt. I think if he does he'll swap gyms while ippo is in the OPBF. The fact that the coach is making ippo hold the belt while fighting in the other league is kind of hosed up and I can see that as enough reason for itagaki to swap gyms since he'll have no where to grow in the mean time while ippo takes another 4 years to make it to the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Is Itagaki 1st seed in the featherweights?

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
He should be the 10th seed. If I remember correctly, whomever wins the fight between the East and West rookie kings will get the 10th seed in their weight division. That's what Ippo got after he defeated Sendo. Ippo then got 5th I think after he defeated Date's protege who was the 5th seed at the time. He eventually got 1st seed after winning the Class A tournament which is what Itakagi is about to do.

Itakagi has to go up against the 3 speed fighters that Ippo has already beaten: Saeki - 3rd seed, Karasawa - 5th seed, & Fukui - 7th seed.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Oh god you're right. I really hope they just gloss over those fights. I need another cocky newcomer fag going after Ippo and getting utterly destroyed by the Liver Blow.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

bhsman posted:

I can't read it in class, but did Miyata finally do it? :ohdear:

Randy sees the light as Miyata hits Warp 10

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.

tazman posted:

Oh god you're right. I really hope they just gloss over those fights. I need another cocky newcomer fag going after Ippo and getting utterly destroyed by the Liver Blow.

They probably will just to show how much of a prodigy he is or some such.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It seems unlikely, but after how they've been building him up recently I'd want to see how Itagaki stacks up against Miyata. Battle of the I AM SO FAST TIME IS STANDING STILL kings.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given how Miyata claimed he only had enough in him for that last right, that big punch at the end of the latest chapter better be nothing. I'm sorry, I like Miyata and all, but he simply should not win this fight. Maybe the creator got a little too excited with the injuries he took, but the fact remains that Miyata got his poo poo kicked in twice over. I'm not sure I'm going to like the way this fight ends.

Bleh.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
That may be so, but think about how bad Miyata was wailing on him at the start, and that he should have won like 2 rounds ago. Randy boy shouldn't be fighting this good.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
It seems this week is only the beginning.
Randy goes Super Saiyajin!!!!:ssj:

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Speculation : It goes to a decision and Randy gets robbed. Or a disputed decision.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I thought part of the benefit of this thread was not using spoiler tags? Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to Ippo's next fight, hoping that he won't fight like a retard again. He does a brilliant performance vs Karasawa then turns back into a lovely boxer. Mori, you tease!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

I thought part of the benefit of this thread was not using spoiler tags? Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to Ippo's next fight, hoping that he won't fight like a retard again. He does a brilliant performance vs Karasawa then turns back into a lovely boxer. Mori, you tease!

Now they are talking about a raw that hasn't been translated so yes they should be using spoilers.

Come on man you gotta know how this works. Newest chapter is spoiled, future chapters are spoiled, and once the new chapter comes out you don't have to spoiler the old ones anymore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

That may be so, but think about how bad Miyata was wailing on him at the start, and that he should have won like 2 rounds ago. Randy boy shouldn't be fighting this good.

But Randy is similar to Ippo in that he can in-fight and take damage. Miyata is also not known for the power behind his punches. So it's not that unbelievable for Randy Boy to continue after taking all those little punches from Miyata. On the other hand, we've been told explicitly that Miyata has a glass jaw, so he shouldn't have enough power to put Randy Boy down at this point.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I actually take Miyata as having a great punch, just saying.

the light is ippo running down with a camera to take a picture, what an rear end in a top hat.

Leonard Leroy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

846 RAW:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u2km36
http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmfnzzinnm
This is a big one, fellas.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The chapter that... tears the fanbase in two!

The bullshit ending that no one wanted but deep down everyone knew was coming. I guess some people will be more accepting than others though.

For me I wouldn't care if he hadn't showed that panel of Miyata's ribs smashing. Miyata was dominating early in the fight so the very idea of him beating RBJ wasn't absurd, it's just the fact he done it with insane injuries.

The new punch is okay I guess. Jolt corkscrew basically, people have been nicknaming it "THE BOLT" because of the whole lightning thing (or maybe the chapter says that?). I guess a nice addition to the whole lightning God thing but whatever.

At least this is finally out of the way now though and Miyata's story wont be the main focus of the manga for a while.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Deathy posted:

At least this is finally out of the way now though and Miyata's story wont be the main focus of the manga for a while.

Yes. Those are my sentiments exactly. I've wanted to see the Class A tournament for a long time now, it looks like it'll be awesome.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Ah well. I hope RBJ stays around in some capacity, but I won't hold my breath. Also seconding what Mr. Deathy said.

Hey, who remembers that Takamura has a match right after this? :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always knew it was going to end that way. :colbert:

Also I had completely forgotten about Takamura's match. Who's he fighting?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sindai posted:

I always knew it was going to end that way. :colbert:

Also I had completely forgotten about Takamura's match. Who's he fighting?

Takamura is fighting Ronald Duck next!

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 10, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:confused: This is the manga thread. Anime thread would be thataway.

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
Can someone tell me what chapter the anime is at?

thank you!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

L:ordSilent posted:

Can someone tell me what chapter the anime is at?

thank you!

Chapter 344 should put you right where the anime is at.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 10, 2014

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
THE RED LIGHTNING SCREWBLOW

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Haha, apparently Miyata's punches can break the sound barrier

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Although this was a pretty kickass chapter, i'm looking to the next one, specifically to see the damage to Randy Boy's jaw. Considering he was hit with a full on jolt counter corkscrew red lightning ultrasonic super punch, I wouldn't be suprised if Randy Boy retires forcibly after this fight. The irony is something I'd kinda expect.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
I was obviously wrong with my previous post but SSJ was pretty cool if not laughs. Raigeki!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Jedah posted:

Yes. Those are my sentiments exactly. I've wanted to see the Class A tournament for a long time now, it looks like it'll be awesome.

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Sir Lucius posted:

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

I thought the same until he looked into the mirror and said, "Looking pretty rough there" back before this fight. That frame gave me Taxi Driver vibes for some reason :downs:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

word at least in terms of plot thatd be great

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Sir Lucius posted:

Echoing that sentiment. It's not like he only had enough for that last right, then did another SUPA COUNTA after it which he somehow went even further beyond the impossible (ROW ROW) and his ribs apparently disentegrated or anything, so it's not unjustifiable. But knowing my prediction track record, I doubt it. :( Actually, he was done with that weight class after his RBJ fight right? Does that mean he could reach his full potential?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Latest chapter just came out. http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/

Pretty good chapter for an aftermath I suppose. I was right atleast about Randy Boy getting massively hosed up after that punch. Although the whole "eternal chasing of Miyata" is loving bullshit. Noone wants that, everyone wants them to fight. I can't see the manga ending any other way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tazman posted:

Latest chapter just came out. http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/

Pretty good chapter for an aftermath I suppose. I was right atleast about Randy Boy getting massively hosed up after that punch. Although the whole "eternal chasing of Miyata" is loving bullshit. Noone wants that, everyone wants them to fight. I can't see the manga ending any other way.

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.

Why can't Ippo put on the weight? If he runs out of rivals, or if just plain really, really wants to, it's very possible that he'll put on another 4 pounds to fight his rival. Fighters do it very often. Hell, arguably the best boxer alive right now, Manny Pacquiao, went from super featherweight(130) to lightweight(135) to welterweight(147) in one year. His next fight is at junior welter (140). His rival, consensus number 2 boxer, Juan Manuel Marquez, is chasing him from 130 to 135 to 140. Actually, if you wanna get into boxing, just follow those two boxers. They're making history and proving each others' greatness.

Tommy Hearns, the basis for Mashiba, fought at welterweight(147) all the way to Cruiserweight(190 in his time).

Bernard Hopkins started at 160 went to 175 and is now going cruiser (200), just because he can.

I think Ippo moving up in weight is a very easy way to add tension and drama to the series. And a very easy way to make Ippo the underdog.

Miyata's deficiencies are chin and stamina -- moving up a class can very easily get rid those and turn him back into a monster for Ippo to fight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Leonard Leroy posted:

Why can't Ippo put on the weight? If he runs out of rivals, or if just plain really, really wants to, it's very possible that he'll put on another 4 pounds to fight his rival. Fighters do it very often. Hell, arguably the best boxer alive right now, Manny Pacquiao, went from super featherweight(130) to lightweight(135) to welterweight(147) in one year. His next fight is at junior welter (140). His rival, consensus number 2 boxer, Juan Manuel Marquez, is chasing him from 130 to 135 to 140. Actually, if you wanna get into boxing, just follow those two boxers. They're making history and proving each others' greatness.

Tommy Hearns, the basis for Mashiba, fought at welterweight(147) all the way to Cruiserweight(190 in his time).

Bernard Hopkins started at 160 went to 175 and is now going cruiser (200), just because he can.

I think Ippo moving up in weight is a very easy way to add tension and drama to the series. And a very easy way to make Ippo the underdog.

Miyata's deficiencies are chin and stamina -- moving up a class can very easily get rid those and turn him back into a monster for Ippo to fight.

There is no way he'll change weight classes after A) just admitting he wants to chase not fight miyata (or something to that effect) and B)all the reach for the world / RICARDO MARTINEZZZZZZ jazz). Considering that Ippo is at his peak in his weight class as is and he stands to gain NO benefit from going up a class besides having even more powerful, tall fighters to deal with. If he were dealing at any point with weight management or even having to stop from bulking up to stay in calss I might think so but seeing how short he is and how much trouble he has with every dumb motherfucker that comes around to challenge for his belt, going up a class just doesn't make sense. Plus he just entered the OPBF to take the featherweight belt.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog

DamnGlitch posted:

There is no way he'll change weight classes after A) just admitting he wants to chase not fight miyata (or something to that effect) and B)all the reach for the world / RICARDO MARTINEZZZZZZ jazz). Considering that Ippo is at his peak in his weight class as is and he stands to gain NO benefit from going up a class besides having even more powerful, tall fighters to deal with. If he were dealing at any point with weight management or even having to stop from bulking up to stay in calss I might think so but seeing how short he is and how much trouble he has with every dumb motherfucker that comes around to challenge for his belt, going up a class just doesn't make sense. Plus he just entered the OPBF to take the featherweight belt.

Dude, fighting spirittttttttttttt!

But yo, height isn't the end all be all of weight class -- although Ippo is tiny. I kinda imagine him like Dwight Qawi, 5'7, 200 pounds. The Camden Buzzsaw. Ippo will have to change up his style, but he can do it because he's the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Leonard Leroy posted:

Dude, fighting spirittttttttttttt!

But yo, height isn't the end all be all of weight class -- although Ippo is tiny. I kinda imagine him like Dwight Qawi, 5'7, 200 pounds. The Camden Buzzsaw. Ippo will have to change up his style, but he can do it because he's the main character.

but he's like 5'0 he's like the shortest guy in the FEATHERWEIGHTS. I mean, the deep sea dude was shorter but that's been it. What happens when he goes up and there are guys with his power AND superior reach...?