Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When did Miyata change weight classes? I don't remember that at all. I thought they always made a big deal about how we was staying in featherweight to fight Ipo at the end of the manga.

Also I liked that the manga also forgot Takamura had a fight next. Even the author was poking fun at the length of that fight. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

He didn't change weightclass. I don't think anyone said that he did...?

It's been stated millions of times that he SHOULD change weightclass as featherweight is unnatural for him but he hasn't yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.
That's what I meant. Yeah it makes no sense, which is what confused me.

Of course they're going to fight at the end of the manga. This is so blindingly obvious I have no idea what DamnGlitch is talking about.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
I've said it before, but the series won't end with Ippo and Miyata fighting. It's going to end like Rocky 3, where they each take a punch at each other then it becomes a painting and fades to the credits.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Ippo is 5'2 if I remember right. And Miyata is going up in class.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Where does it say that? Seriously, link us. Because i'm drat sure its just been alluded, not actually confirmed. The common consensus is that he should go up one, but he stays in featherweight because of Ippo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tazman posted:

Where does it say that? Seriously, link us. Because i'm drat sure its just been alluded, not actually confirmed. The common consensus is that he should go up one, but he stays in featherweight because of Ippo.

and then he decided the randy was the one he had to fight (which was alluded to for like 2 volumes) and now he's ready to reach "HIS FULL POTENTIALLLLLL"

So they might fight at the end but we are no where near the end so why wouldn't miyata at least go up in the mean time? Plus it's pretty apparent that they want to fight at full strength so it'll probs be a non title match or an exhibition or something, so they could be in different weight classes at full strength.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
I don't recall anywhere that it said that Miyata for sure was going up a weight class. As many people have said, it has been alluded too that he should because of how hard his weight control is.

So we're asking for some proof. I honestly do not recall any point where it said for sure Miyata would go up to the next weight class.

As for the latest chapter:
Does anyone find it odd that Miyata was still throwing punches despite his ribs exploding in the fight?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kave posted:

I don't recall anywhere that it said that Miyata for sure was going up a weight class. As many people have said, it has been alluded too that he should because of how hard his weight control is.

So we're asking for some proof. I honestly do not recall any point where it said for sure Miyata would go up to the next weight class.

As for the latest chapter:
Does anyone find it odd that Miyata was still throwing punches despite his ribs exploding in the fight?

Miyata should have been rushed to the hospital and have to stay away from boxing for like a year because it is garbage that he is throwing loving punches with shattered ribs after the fight like it's nothing. I get it, guts and burning passion, but holy poo poo this motherfucker need to get grounded SOMEHOW.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Miyata should have been rushed to the hospital and have to stay away from boxing for like a year because it is garbage that he is throwing loving punches with shattered ribs after the fight like it's nothing. I get it, guts and burning passion, but holy poo poo this motherfucker need to get grounded SOMEHOW.

Hell, I expect him to start flying or punching through guys or something, because he's gone beyond normal shounen sports "overcoming impossible odds with willpower" silliness into the territory of "I can do anything with willpower" ridiculousness.

Wait, I get it now. Ippo and Miyata will take Japan to the world stage by having superhuman damage absorbing powers! Ribs poking into your lungs and repeated concussions and shattered hands and shredded muscles and detached retinas mean nothing when you have SAMURAI FIGHTING SPIRIT

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Yeeeah. As much as I like Miyata's character i'm pretty sure that punching someone in the body so hard their ribs shatter should result in this http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/413/08/

(Holy poo poo I love post WW2 Kawogama)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

NovaPolice posted:

Hell, I expect him to start flying or punching through guys or something, because he's gone beyond normal shounen sports "overcoming impossible odds with willpower" silliness into the territory of "I can do anything with willpower" ridiculousness.

Wait, I get it now. Ippo and Miyata will take Japan to the world stage by having superhuman damage absorbing powers! Ribs poking into your lungs and repeated concussions and shattered hands and shredded muscles and detached retinas mean nothing when you have SAMURAI FIGHTING SPIRIT

I agree, I'm losing interest in this manga quickly, and that's saying a lot. Been reading it for years, and this last fight just seemed very sloppy. If I want superhuman powers and poo poo I'll read Naruto or Dragonball Z.

It's okay to have some degree of pushing limits, and I know it's been a theme in the series... However, Miyata is supposed to be weak at taking damage. That's been a character trait since the beginning, from the pinpoint uppercut grazing him from Ippo, to Mashiba fouling. That's part of what made him a dynamic character, he didn't have the endurance of Ippo or Takamura. Now, apparently, that's a moot point. Floating bits of your own ribs are nothing FIGHTING SPIRIT.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The problem is really that it would've been easy to have the fight's outcome be the same (Comeback KO, new counter move, surpassing father's boxing, etc) without it being as ridiculous unrealistic as it turned out being. Morikawa just seemed intent on building up "dramatic tension" as much as possible to somehow make the comeback KO even more "impressive" than it has been before in Miyata's fights. It sadly had the opposite effect.

A few less rounds of Miyata taking so much damage and none of the prolonged stupid poo poo while his ribs were already broken and the fight would've been fine. It was a good fight in the beginning, Morikawa just seriously needs to learn to stop dragging poo poo the gently caress out. He seems intent on making sure he gets every single last idea he has into every fight, no matter how lovely those ideas are.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Okay, I know the Miyata fight soured some people on the manga. But it's okay, Takamura's fight is next!

And chapter 848 is out! Go read it!

Really.

Takamura to lose to some no-name jobber?! I don't believe he'll lose, but the 'connection' between him and Sakaguchi is an odd thing to bring up. Odds on Takamura punching out Sakaguchi are pretty good, since he vowed to do so back in 816. Hell, I'll go farther than that and say that if that does happen, Takamura will be Sakaguchi's next 'project.'

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
What the gently caress is this 12 page bullshit.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

takamura will punch the no-name boxer through the floor on top of sakaguchi, breaking the toilet and covering sakaguchi in poo poo.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

tazman posted:

What the gently caress is this 12 page bullshit.

It's happened before.

Ippo is a weekly manga though it often has a higher detail level than other weekly releases. I guess Morikawa occasionally isn't up for putting out quite as many pages as usual.

Kinda makes sense after how frickin long he was drawing that RBJ fight for.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Xali posted:

takamura will punch the no-name boxer through the floor on top of sakaguchi, breaking the toilet and covering sakaguchi in poo poo.

This is great cause I can totally see this happening. There's almost no other reason to showing Sakaguchi during the chapter other than "Hey let's poo poo all over this guy before he never comes back again".

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Xali posted:

I had no idea what was going to happen while reading that chapter, but this sounds about right.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

This chapter was garbage. What the gently caress

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It's seriously 12 pages? I thought someone had screwed up the upload or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, Takamura was introduced waaaaaay back in the day as an incredibly skilled boxer, defeating punks without laying a finger on them, favoring incredible footwork, that kinda thing. When he was asked what it was like being strong, he demonstrated not overwhelming power, but speed and precision.

I know he's stopped being a mentor character, but goddamn, when the hell did he become a sub-literate meathead who is only good at hitting hard? For his last several fights, the only thing positive you can say about him is his overwhelming power. Earlier in the series they sneered at Aoki and Kimura for getting dragged into inelegant exchanges of punches, and now it's all that Japan's greatest champion ever does.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, Takamura was introduced waaaaaay back in the day as an incredibly skilled boxer, defeating punks without laying a finger on them, favoring incredible footwork, that kinda thing. When he was asked what it was like being strong, he demonstrated not overwhelming power, but speed and precision.

I know he's stopped being a mentor character, but goddamn, when the hell did he become a sub-literate meathead who is only good at hitting hard? For his last several fights, the only thing positive you can say about him is his overwhelming power. Earlier in the series they sneered at Aoki and Kimura for getting dragged into inelegant exchanges of punches, and now it's all that Japan's greatest champion ever does.

Unfortunately like all characters he is abused to make a lovely point. If you're looking for consistency in characters unfortunately this is not the right series. Hopefully he'll get his moment to shine come the next title bout. Most champion defenses are garbage, so hopefully this will end soon and we'll get on with something interesting. We both know he's not gonna lose this, not after glossing over 9 rounds to set up another quick come back.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think he was simply being used to set up that random punch on Sakaguchi.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

alkanphel posted:

I think he was simply being used to set up that random punch on Sakaguchi.

Lets face facts, the arc was all Miyata, so we may as well have it finish with something for Miyata. The plus side is, of course, he's out of action for a while so we can see someone else in the spotlight for 100+ chapters.

PlaceholderPoster
Mar 2, 2009

by Peatpot

quote:

I know he's stopped being a mentor character, but goddamn, when the hell did he become a sub-literate meathead who is only good at hitting hard?

When it become more important to lay the groundwork for why Ippo is *literally* sucking Miyata's dick in about 100 chapters. Didn't this last chapter make you want to suck Miyata's dick too? No?

Gosh, who wouldn't want to have sex with Miyata? He's so dreamy! Entire arc redeemed if he falls over dead inside 3 chapters, otherwise this was loving bullshit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PlaceholderPoster posted:

Didn't this last chapter make you want to suck Miyata's dick too?

You mean when he ran about the boxing ring throwing super fast punches at every angle to exhaust himself without actually hurting his opponent? Or when his stubbornness prevented him from adapting to a troublesome opponent? Or how his big fake out bluff was that he was going to do the punch he was shooting for from the start, several rounds after it was clear it was a retarded idea? Or how he could only draw his opponent into a clear blow by taking so many punches no one thought he could move?

Dammit, Miyata used to be a good boxer, too, cunning and adaptive. But now it seems like his motto is, "My father's technique, regardless if circumstance!" When was the last time someone changed their fighting style to defeat their opponent? The more I think about it, the more this series is becoming about spamming your signature move, with only cunning, evil foreigners developing techniques to counter specific opponents.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
I think the main thing is we just haven't gotten to watch Ippo fight, in what, 200 chapters? I can't even remember who he last fought? Was it that magician guy, that retarded fight?

The only way this last Miyata fight would've been cool is he had lost, and that would've only set up Ippo to loving obliterate Randy.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Mystic Mongol posted:

this series is becoming about spamming your signature move
The author wants to make it more like the Hajime No Ippo video games. :shobon:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cowboy posted:

I think the main thing is we just haven't gotten to watch Ippo fight, in what, 200 chapters? I can't even remember who he last fought? Was it that magician guy, that retarded fight?

The only way this last Miyata fight would've been cool is he had lost, and that would've only set up Ippo to loving obliterate Randy.

It was the magic human being guy, which might as well be king of the lovely fights at this point.

And yeah, that's what I was hoping for as well. Now it's just like "welp"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

And yeah, that's what I was hoping for as well. Now it's just like "welp"

It could have been a cool Miyata win.

Imagine if Randy had shown ippo-like traits--incredible strength and toughness, tenacity, adaptability, a series of strong techniques, and a fast approach. But Miyata had always been one step ahead, pulling magic trick after surprise blow out of a seemingly infinitely deep pool of moves, always doing something fresh, no round being like the round before. If he had embraced the philosophy of outboxing, using his speed and technique to constantly adapt and dominate the fight.

As opposed to the fight we got---outboxing is just like inboxing, only further away and faster. It's identical, down to holding out with incredible tenacity for that one super-heavy punch, to the vast majority of Ippo's fights.

What's the purpose of an out/inboxing rivalry if they perform the exact same way in the ring?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Cowboy posted:

The best thing that happened in the last year of this manga was Ippo getting super pissed after Randy beat down Itagaki and the manager guy had a go at Miyata.

Which turned out to be the biggest cock tease ever :(

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Cowboy posted:

Yep, Ippo vs Mashiba was fueled on this premise, and it worked beautifully. Ippo thinks about Miyata's loss (due to fouling) and throws out an angry punch at a soda machine, practically turning it concave and shattering the glass. I like seeing Ippo when he isn't a total pushover.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.
850 is out.

More blue balls for Ippo.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Dude makes Keichi and Belldandy look like horndogs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Dude makes Keichi and Belldandy look like horndogs.

no kidding, by the time he'll have a chance to get with that he'll be impotent and his ippo size will go to waste.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

no kidding, by the time he'll have a chance to get with that he'll be impotent and his ippo size will go to waste.

By 'that' you mean Miyata? Awkward and disinterested in girls, obsessed with a guy. I know it is supposed to be that stupid endlessly delayed relationship nonsense, but Ippo is what, 24 or so now? He has been seeing Kumi for 5+ years now and they have yet to kiss. That poo poo doesn't work well in Infinite High School Land, much less when time actually flows. If it really mattered to him he would apply some hard work, which is sort of his specialty. Instead he has dedicated those years striving towards being closer to Miyata. Terrible taste in men aside, Ippo should really progress as a character instead of just as a boxer. I don't care if that means coming out, changing his lifestyle or even just getting further with boring old Kumi. Something has to change besides his ranking, even though I know nothing ever will.

kypdjk
Jul 22, 2007

His personality is so magnetic he is unable to carry credit cards. He once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels. He is the most interesting man in the world.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I know it is supposed to be that stupid endlessly delayed relationship nonsense, but Ippo is what, 24 or so now? He has been seeing Kumi for 5+ years now and they have yet to kiss. That poo poo doesn't work well in Infinite High School Land, much less when time actually flows. If it really mattered to him he would apply some hard work, which is sort of his specialty. Instead he has dedicated those years striving towards being closer to Miyata. Terrible taste in men aside, Ippo should really progress as a character instead of just as a boxer. I don't care if that means coming out, changing his lifestyle or even just getting further with boring old Kumi. Something has to change besides his ranking, even though I know nothing ever will.

Agreed, not only is he a colossal pussy for not even making a move yet, but despite all his training I don't see him any closer to defeating Ricardo Martinez than he was 500 or so chapters ago.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kypdjk posted:

Agreed, not only is he a colossal pussy for not even making a move yet, but despite all his training I don't see him any closer to defeating Ricardo Martinez than he was 500 or so chapters ago.

To be fair, Date didn't do much better. And he had over seven years to prepare, too.

IPPO VS MARTINEZ, 2018: Can one fiesty 78 year old take on the boxer of last century? Hold onto your walkers folks, this one will be a blast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Serious Frolicking posted:

By 'that' you mean Miyata? Awkward and disinterested in girls, obsessed with a guy. I know it is supposed to be that stupid endlessly delayed relationship nonsense, but Ippo is what, 24 or so now? He has been seeing Kumi for 5+ years now and they have yet to kiss. That poo poo doesn't work well in Infinite High School Land, much less when time actually flows. If it really mattered to him he would apply some hard work, which is sort of his specialty. Instead he has dedicated those years striving towards being closer to Miyata. Terrible taste in men aside, Ippo should really progress as a character instead of just as a boxer. I don't care if that means coming out, changing his lifestyle or even just getting further with boring old Kumi. Something has to change besides his ranking, even though I know nothing ever will.

I want a gay Ippo now...No matter how his character develops if it isn't this I will be disappointed.